Feels like I pulled a muscle in my abdomen? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So...I am a first timer.  Anyone with experience feel this before?  About 2 inches to the right of my belly button, and going up and down maybe 5 inches, I have what feels like a pulled muscle.  It's not a cramp, and it's worse if I stretch it, but it's still pretty mild...anyone know what this might be?  Is it normal?

Thanks!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM

Could be round ligament pains. They sure getcha when u least expect it!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 01-05-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yes!  It does feel like a ligament or something...but I thought those were in your, um, groin area?  I've googled but can't seem to find many "diagrams" of where the pain should be...

Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM

Round ligaments hold your uterus in your abdomen.  Here, this is a pretty decent picture/summary.  They usually start a little later and are KILLER towards the end of pg, but with growing and stretching anything is possible.

http://backpainandpregnancy.blogspot.com/2008/10/round-ligament-pain-relief.html

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM

It's totally normal! Usually it will happen to me when I roll over in bed at night, it feels like I am getting stabbed. Doing stretches everyday helps a bit though.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Directly to the side of your belly button does sound high, but I think it's pretty much got to be round ligament pain.  I get it about 4 inches below and 2-3 inches to the side.  I've only had one stabbing pain this pregnancy, and that was really early on, but I have pretty constant ache on the left now and nothing on the right.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Old 01-06-2011, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies!  I did google some more, and something I read (where oh where?) said that the ligaments can also pull on the nerves nearby.  So, yeah, I am pretty sure it's related to round ligament pain.  I've now gotten a few twinges on the left, too!  In general, my entire abdomen feels just weird and bloated and slighly uncomfortable.  It's pretty amazing! 

Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM

When I was preggo with my first, I pulled both sides and was laid up for over 2 weeks.  I could hardly breathe and when I slept, I had to sleep in a bean bag with my legs up on an ottoman, just to get somewhat comfortable.  No fun!  Take it easy for a bit and let yourself heal.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Could also be that you've irritated your psoas muscle as that is how I would describe its location. It runs from your very upper inner thigh bone to your spine.. I'll get a link!

http://www.squidoo.com/psoas

That's got good pictures.

You see how it runs in the corner by the front of your hip? If you gently press your fingers into the soft spot just inside your hipbones in the front - still against the bone a bit and slooooowly, gently, rock your pubic bone towards your navel just a little, not even an inch, and then back to neutral, it might help. If it hurts, quit that. Seeing a good chiropractor or massage therapist might do you some good, but most people aren't going to touch that area in your first trimester.

You stretch the psoas by arching your back or doing general quad stretches.

Also! If you guys have round ligament pain, I have something that helps. The round ligament attaches to your outer labia - odd thing to do if you ask me, but you can feel them if you press - they're hard and rounded. If you just press against them with your fingers, or have someone do it, it really helps. One hand per labia if you're doing it yourself and as always, if it hurts - stop that!

Hope this helps!

Becky (licensed massage therapist who just can't help herself)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

User Tag List