When do you start buying stuff? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just out of curiosity, when do/did you start buying stuff for the baby?  Do you wait until after a certain time or after you hear the heartbeat or what?  I know you don't need the stuff for awhile, but it sure is fun to buy.  I haven't actually bought anything since being pregnant.  I bought stuff before we were TTC, but nothing since my BFP. 

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 02:28 PM

With my first, I bought next to nothing until she was born. I was very nervous and stressed during that pregnancy and was afraid I would jinx it or something.

With my second, I started buying stuff as soon as I had the BFP! I was in a much better place emotionally and felt OK with shopping early.

This time, we have NO money. If we did, I imagine I would already probably be buying diapers! :)

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#3 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 02:36 PM

I don't really feel like buying much until I know the gender!  Unless I saw a really good deal on something (like a friend sent me a link to a stroller that was on sale and I entertained the thought and talked to DH about it, but we decided we wanted a different one).  But if it was something I really wanted/needed I would buy it now.  I don't want to live in fear.  

With my first though, I think I was into the 2nd tri when I started buying little things here and there, like a cute bib or a gender neutral onesie I thought was cute.

If you don't feel quite ready to buy, you could always start up your registry!  It's like shopping but not committing to anything just yet! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

We won't be finding out the gender so I probably wouldn't be buying too many clothes since there aren't a ton of gender neutral outfits.  I plan on using cloth diapers so I was thinking of starting to look for sales on that or a good deal on craigslist or something.  I don't want to jinx it, but I know that's dumb. 

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#5 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 06:24 PM

I just bought a few wool diaper wraps on etsy, and I have a cart full of natural colored organic tops in another window that I have yet to finalize (but I really should!). I know that I don't want ANYTHING overtly gendered, regardless of if we're finding out the gender or not. If I have a girl, I'll be knitting all of the "girly" stuff, but otherwise I basically just want yellow, orange and cream colored clothes (then knitted things can be the fun colors). If I have a boy, same thing with the natural colored clothes and fun colored knitted things. I'm not big on words on babies clothing, or with super gendered frilly/masculine items, so most of the things I'm buying are basic tops, cloth diapers and books, which can work for a boy or a girl.

I have almost 2 grocery bags full of baby clothes I've already knitted, but none of the ends are woven in, and nothing is "finished". It's my way of being superstitious :)

#6 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 PM

I don't starting buying stuff till towards the end of the 2nd tri. It just feels off to do it before to me. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 10 Old 01-05-2011, 10:24 PM

I still have stuff from our first try, and I've bought some since the BFP... a dozen diapers, and a few tops, etc... , but I'm holding off until we hear a heartbeat. Didn't stop me from making a registry though! DH actually requested I create one, so he could get a feel for everything we need... he hasn't looked at it yet. I have a feeling he is going to faint when he sees it and the truth is, it's pretty bare bones. LOL

Moo.

#8 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

We won't be finding out the gender so I probably wouldn't be buying too many clothes since there aren't a ton of gender neutral outfits.  I plan on using cloth diapers so I was thinking of starting to look for sales on that or a good deal on craigslist or something.  I don't want to jinx it, but I know that's dumb. 

Bree

Its good to get mostly neutral clothes for the first few sizes as then they can be easily reused. I did find it difficult to find truly neutral clothes last year with DS, but fortunately my Mum back in Scotland went a bit crazy buying stuff in several sizes for me. I did start buying things like cloth diapers when we were about 4mths along last time, as we had Christmas money we used.

This time around I just need some newborn size cloth prefolds (we use prefolds & covers and one size ones are too big for newborns) and some extra OS AIOs for night time use, as I expect DS to still be in diapers for at least a few months after the new baby arrives. We'll buy one box of throw away diapers in NB size to use for the first week or so of meconium, as its really sticky so I'd rather not deal with it on the cloth.

My best baby item last time around was my homemade Moby style wrap. I wore DS everywhere for the first 3-4 months and he would just fall asleep in it. Its so much easier than carrying around an infant car seat.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#9 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 AM

I know how you feel!  It's my first as well, and I have exactly 1 baby item, which was given to me at Christmas.  It's really cute, but I don't think I'll be buying anything until I am well along.  Maybe at the 20 week u/s? 

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#10 of 10 Old 01-06-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'll hold off, but I'll keep an eye out for any great sales on diapers, cribs, etc and stuff like that.  Thanks ladies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page