First Time Mamas' Chat **January** - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
 
Beckily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope we get capes, too! I want a cape :D

 

http://www.google.com/search?q=piriformis+stretch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a - lots of options! Options are good! A good chiropractor or massage therapist can help you with your hip pain, but these stretches are very good!


Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Beckily is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 AM
 
mkat83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hehe, I like the cape idea.

 

I'm actually going to see a new chiro tomorrow.  She kind of specializes in pregnancy and seems a lot more holistically minded than my current/former chiro.  Former chiro realy aggravated me a few months ago with her uninvited commentary on homebirth.  New chiro just had her own baby at home in November or December!  I think I am going to love this lady :)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

I hope we get capes, too! I want a cape :D

 

http://www.google.com/search?q=piriformis+stretch&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a - lots of options! Options are good! A good chiropractor or massage therapist can help you with your hip pain, but these stretches are very good!




Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

mkat83 is offline  
Old 01-23-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Beckily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That sounds great! I always say a good chiropractor is priceless, a bad one is REALLY bad. Plus, very important to get one in line with your values! I hope you love her and that it goes well!

 

I went to mine last week and she wants me to go every week for awhile because of how bad my hips are. The joys of injury, chronic pain and relaxin! ;)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat83 View Post

Hehe, I like the cape idea.

 

I'm actually going to see a new chiro tomorrow.  She kind of specializes in pregnancy and seems a lot more holistically minded than my current/former chiro.  Former chiro realy aggravated me a few months ago with her uninvited commentary on homebirth.  New chiro just had her own baby at home in November or December!  I think I am going to love this lady :)
 


Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Beckily is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 10:56 AM
 
mkat83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Had my first appointment with my new chiro yesterday.  The receptionist who took me to the room I was going to be in was carrying a tiny baby while nursing-- that was the first "omg this place is awesome" moment.  The doc is young, maybe early 30s, and she just had a baby at home 8 weeks ago.  She was thrilled to find out I am planning a homebirth, and it turns out I am using the same midwife she used.  We also discovered that we are both members of the local food buying club.  It didn't take long to figure out that we have extremely similar views on birth.  It was very apparent to me that she is super knowledgeable in caring for pregnant women.  She adjusted me with a much gentler technique than my former chiro, and she adjusted my hips, which my former chiro had never done. Needless to say, I am pretty excited about working with her throughout my pregnancy.  The only downside is that she usually sees pregnant patients weekly, and my insurance will only pay for 15 visits annually.  She's willing to work on a different schedule with me, though.  I'll have to find out what the office visit fee will be once my insurance stops paying and then make a decision.  Anyhow, wanted to report the positive experience! 

 

I have my first visit with my mw this Thursday.  Looking forward to that as well!


Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

mkat83 is offline  
Old 01-25-2011, 01:04 PM
 
Beckily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat83 View Post

Had my first appointment with my new chiro yesterday.  The receptionist who took me to the room I was going to be in was carrying a tiny baby while nursing-- that was the first "omg this place is awesome" moment.  The doc is young, maybe early 30s, and she just had a baby at home 8 weeks ago.  She was thrilled to find out I am planning a homebirth, and it turns out I am using the same midwife she used.  We also discovered that we are both members of the local food buying club.  It didn't take long to figure out that we have extremely similar views on birth.  It was very apparent to me that she is super knowledgeable in caring for pregnant women.  She adjusted me with a much gentler technique than my former chiro, and she adjusted my hips, which my former chiro had never done. Needless to say, I am pretty excited about working with her throughout my pregnancy.  The only downside is that she usually sees pregnant patients weekly, and my insurance will only pay for 15 visits annually.  She's willing to work on a different schedule with me, though.  I'll have to find out what the office visit fee will be once my insurance stops paying and then make a decision.  Anyhow, wanted to report the positive experience! 

 

I have my first visit with my mw this Thursday.  Looking forward to that as well!


That's wonderful! How perfect!

I've found that with my insurance it actually cost more to go through insurance - most chiropractors around here only charge $35-$45 a session.

 

I can't imagine going to a chiropractor who wouldn't adjust my hips - that's my biggest problem! Excellent find! :)


Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Beckily is offline  
Old 01-26-2011, 09:39 AM
 
Maurine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Joining back in after a little hiatus!  :) 

 

Mkat - I also sleep with one of those neck pillows in front of me!  I hug it to my chest and it's also been supporting my belly.  I've been using it for years, and DH and I actually call it my "baby pillow"--it's a comforting substitute for the real thing (although I wouldn't sleep with my baby in that position).  I also put a pillow between my legs and of course one under my head.  So it's 3 pillows for me!!

 

Have you "come out" yet on Facebook?  Not yet.  I still need to call some girlfriends to let them know! 

Have you registered anywhere yet? If so, where and for what, etc.  Nope...call me superstitious!   

What has been your most annoying first tri symptom?  Nausea that hasn't stopped yet and I am 13 weeks.

What books are you reading (about pregnancy, childbirth or not)? Mayo clinic book, Girlfriend's Guide (dated, but funny)

Are you birthing at hospital or home or have you decided yet, etc?  Hospital with a midwife


#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Maurine is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 02:37 PM
 
frankenstella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you "come out" yet on Facebook?  Not yet. All of my close friends and family pretty much know, but I just haven't felt like sharing with the masses yet. Although, some people keep trying to share for me, leaving comments like "How's little Mama feeling today?" So, who knows how long we can keep it a secret. 

Have you registered anywhere yet? If so, where and for what, etc.   Yes, we have registered at Target, but only b/c I was so upset/ scared at first, I needed something to help me get excited. Also it has been helping me keep track of stuff that I want. I think I'm going to try and get the stuff I can from yardsales/ craigslist/ consignment stores to help save because everything is so expensive!  

What has been your most annoying first tri symptom?  I think being so tired has been the worst. I was sick but only for a couple weeks, my boobs have grown but they haven't really hurt, being so hungry has been one of the worst too, though.

What books are you reading (about pregnancy, childbirth or not)? We are reading What to Expect When You're Expecting. Someone gave it to me so we are checking it out. Once I finish this I am going to get into some of the books you guys have been posting, a lot of them sound good.

Are you birthing at hospital or home or have you decided yet, etc? We are birthing at the hospital with our D.O. We haven't really discussed birth plans or anything yet, but our hospital is a new hospital specifically for women and they are pretty innovative so hopefully we will be able to work out a good birth plan.


Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
frankenstella is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
 
RileyAnn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have you "come out" yet on Facebook? Yupp! Just earlier this week. :) It was exciting.  

Have you registered anywhere yet? If so, where and for what, etc.  Nope... Not yet. I made a few wish lists though.

What has been your most annoying first tri symptom? My symptoms weren't that extreme. I'd probably have to say fatigue and breast tenderness.

What books are you reading (about pregnancy, childbirth or not)? I don't know the name off the top of my head.

Are you birthing at hospital or home or have you decided yet, etc?  Hospital with a midwife, also.


Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
RileyAnn is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 04:24 PM
 
mkat83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 214
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to say that I had my first appointment with my midwife today.  She was lovely, and it is a joy to be in her presence.  She's just a happy person, and she makes you happy to be with her.  We got to hear the baby's heartbeat again.  It was funny-- she found it initially just for a split second and baby moved and she had to kind of chase him/her.  Took a few tries, but baby seemed to want to be very squiggly.  It was totally cute!


Married to DH partners.gif since 2007. Mommy to babyboy.gif 7/2011.  We bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gifcd.gif.

mkat83 is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:00 AM
 
Chaika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello everyone!  I am also pregnant with my first.  It was unplanned and a big shock at first, but my boyfriend and I are very excited.  I am a Massage Therapist and it's cool to see another MT on here :)  I've had to cut back on work a bit because one of my jobs is chair massage and it was getting tough to stand and do hard physical work for so many hours.  I'm planning on moving in with my boyfriend in early May.  We'd do it sooner, but we live about 1.5 hour's drive apart and I wanted to stay in my city and work for a few more months.  I don't want to have to try to find a new job in his area while pregnant.  I love my city and am sad to leave it, but I'm also excited to live with my guy...he has a big house and a higher-paying job so it just makes more sense.  Mixed emotions, I guess.

 

I've had some anxiety because our relationship is fairly new and we are quite different in a lot of ways.  He is Russian and Jewish and had a very different life, growing up in the USSR, than I did being raised in New England by hippie parents!  So we've had a couple of intense discussions about parenting styles but overall I think we do listen to each other and respect each other's opinions so I'm hopeful that we'll be able to come to agreement.  Both of our families are very supportive and excited. 

 

Looking forward to getting to know you ladies!


Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Chaika is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Beckily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Mkat: I'm glad you found someone you love! Doesn't it make all the difference? :)

 

Chaika: Yay massage! Now maybe I won't be the only one always wanted to "help" by typing out massage and stretching ideas! :) I had a big change in insurance things - I take insurance for massage - so I thought that my business would slow and I was very okay with it - same reason you are cutting back! But no, actually, I got busier. I end far too many days walking straight to bed, back dying. I hope that you are able to find a happier amount of massage! :)

I can't imagine having a new relationship, moving across the country and being pregnant. I wish you much luck, patience and good communication. It's going to be an adventure :)


Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Beckily is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM
 
Chaika's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks Beckily, it is overwhelming but cool at the same time...thankfully I don't have to move across the country though, we live in the same state but different cities :)


Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Chaika is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Maurine's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yay!  Another MT!  :)  I love that you guys are here and happy to give us advice.


#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Maurine is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM
 
greencarnation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: VA
Posts: 628
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!  I figured I would join in.

 

I am 11 weeks, and starting to throw up less.  My biggest issue right now is where to birth.  My insurance dropped the birth center, and we cannot afford a midwife.  I am thinking about UC, but my husband is scared of not having a pro around.  If I do give birth at the hospital, I plan on making it as natural as possible.  

 

I am reading everything I can about birth online and all the books I inherited from my mother on natural birth.

 

More than anything, I am looking forward to the 20 weeks ultrasound so we can find out the gender!!!


Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!
 
  bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!
 

greencarnation is offline  
Old 01-31-2011, 04:28 PM
 
Beckily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 2,598
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

Hello!  I figured I would join in.

 

I am 11 weeks, and starting to throw up less.  My biggest issue right now is where to birth.  My insurance dropped the birth center, and we cannot afford a midwife.  I am thinking about UC, but my husband is scared of not having a pro around.  If I do give birth at the hospital, I plan on making it as natural as possible.  

 

I am reading everything I can about birth online and all the books I inherited from my mother on natural birth.

 

More than anything, I am looking forward to the 20 weeks ultrasound so we can find out the gender!!!

It's so strange to me when insurance companies start dropping things like birth centers - they cost less than a hospital! Completely illogical!

I wish you luck in finding something else that will work for you! Knowledge and stubbornness go a long way :)

 

I'm counting down for 20 weeks, too! My friend got to do his a few weeks ago (little girl) and I'm so jealous!!
 


Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Beckily is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off