Regular Chat Thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 376 Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm sorry if I'm missing it, but the only chat thread I see (for non first time moms) is in December. I think it would be pretty cool to chat with you ladies regularly. :-)

If I'm missing the thread, please redirect me.

Many thanks!

#2 of 376 Old 01-10-2011, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't think anyone made a chat for this week!

What do you think ladies?  Do we want weekly chats or monthly chats until we get really chatty?

And first time moms and BTDT moms can chat together!  I don't see any reason to separate us in a chat thread -- we can learn so much from each other!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 376 Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm game for a chat, and I am glad someone started one!

Home and EXHAUSTED. I have this cough that will not go away, not sick, but just a lingering cough. Hacked half the night, had to get up before 5am to cook breakfast. It was a staff meeting day and I had to bring food. On the plus side I made an apple raisin french toast casserole thing and it was a hit. Tried to leave at 7am only I had to take the spare car because the sitter had to drive around all 3 kids and she needed my big SUV, and the car doors were frozen shut. Just the start of the day, hacked through the meeting and then have been fine since. eyesroll.gif I normally only work half days very part time, I had meetings all day long, I am just tired, too much sitting listening to very boring people and not enough sleep. And that is my complaining for the day! Now off to clean up my house, and figure out what to feed everyone for dinner. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 376 Old 01-10-2011, 05:09 PM

Me too, I love some good chit chat!

So, today I had this grand idea to make a crock pot lasagna.  Never mind the fact that I've used my crock pot once and never made a lasagna.  Took DD to the food store, got all the things I needed, got home, got everything ready.  Started cooking the "meat" and onion for the sauce -- I was geared up. Then I read - cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4.  Oh man.  It was already dinner time!  Preggo brain made me forget how long it takes to frigging slow cook something!  

I quickly looked up how to bake a lasagna - only 40 min!  Saved!

I'm such an idiot!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 376 Old 01-10-2011, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Peony, I hope tomorrow is better for you. It sounds like a very busy day. And I *hate* frozen car doors. I've definitely experienced that here in New England.

Carrie, I have had several of those "pregnancy brain" moments. My DSD asked me, "So, you're forgetful when you're pregnant?" I tried to prepare her for my normal symptoms of pregnancy, nausea, fatigue, moodiness ... and thought I'd better warn her about pregnancy brain, as well. Although generally I just refer to it as Mommy Brain.

I'd been hoping I wouldn't get as sick this time. I've felt nauseas, but it hasn't been nearly as bad (or as early) as last pregnancy. Then I had a really sick day, attempted to exercise, got even more sick, went to bed early and vomited my supper. greensad.gif Hopefully it was just an off day.

#6 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM

LOL, about the crockpot! I actually was going to make a pesto lasagna in the crockpot today, but I've been having a pesto craving lately and I have used too much of my supply to pop it in this morning. 

PoetryLover, sorry about being sick. greensad.gif

Today is going to better. Just at home with the two little ones until the madness of school pickup and after school activities, I do need to clean the house, and collect/gather all DD1's frozen snowboard gear. She was out until 7:30 last night boarding and it was like 0 out. She gets to play hookey from school tomorrow and go for a special homeschool ski day with some of her friends so I need to have everything ready. And find something to throw in the crockpot that I didn't eat all the ingredients for!

#7 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 11:03 AM

So - I found out where everyone in our DDC is hiding!  On the first time mommies chat thread!  I feel awful b/c I started the mom's with lo's support thread b/c I was just looking for support - not a chat.  I feel bad that we're all separated now b/c of that. greensad.gif  I hope soon we all can come together.

Anyway - so - I've just been feeling super tired today so I put on some Backyardigans for DD and am encouraging her to play nicely.  She set up a little tea party earlier and it was so cute. 

168805_10150361287510387_579845386_16742079_3138063_n.jpg

Anyway, so yeah.  Exhausted today for sure.  Last night I ran on the treadmill and felt wonderful afterwards, but then totally fell asleep putting DD to bed.  I woke up, stumbled out to the living room.  DH and I usually watch Spartacus or Battlestar Galactica (we never watched it when it was on so we're catching up!!  OMG best show ever! No spoilers!!) but I completely fell asleep on the couch waiting for him to wrap up his posts online.  He poked me at around 11 and I threw myself into bed and slept straight thru until DD woke up at 4:15 calling for me.  She eventually fell back asleep but I was STARVING so i snuck out of her room, chugged some soymilk and ate a mandarin cup, and then fell right back asleep in bed til 7:30 am.  She came in, and slept another 20 min or so...

Anyway, all this to say I'm TIRED.  Haha!

9 weeks today!  Baby is a fetus!  No longer an embryo!! 

#8 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 12:57 PM

LOL on the lasagna!  I had such pregnancy "mommy" brain when I was pregnant with my first, I "mailed" a bunch of bills one day and then a few weeks later started getting all sorts of past due statements.  I could have sworn that I had mailed the bills.  Well, we bought a new car just before the baby was born and when I was cleaning out the glove compartment, there were the bills!  So weird, because I never put things in there! 

Peony - I've also had a strange cough since I've been pregnant.  It gets worse at night and I feel like there is so much mucus in the back of my throat that it just makes me gag all the time.  I hate it!

AFM - I was flu-like sick all last week and actually have lost a pound since my last doctor's appointment.  I threw up so much and couldn't keep anything down. My youngest ds was also sick with the same thing.  This week, dd has been sick with something a bit different, but with a good fever and sore throat.  My water kefir is finally ready, so I gave her some in some juice to get some probiotics in her and she seems to be doing a little better.  Hopefully she's better by tomorrow so she doesn't miss another day of school.

I've been starving since I was done being sick, which is not like me.  Sometimes it's after 2 pm before I realize that I haven't eaten anything yet.  But, since Friday, I think I'm finally eating as much as I probably normally should.  The one thing I can't get enough of is sliced avocados with salt.  Yum!!

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#9 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 01:39 PM

I am super tired today, and feeling pretty sick. For the most part a B6 vit and ginger capsule in the am right when I awake has been working but it took a bit longer today and the exhaustion just never stops. I was up all night with insomnia  and when I finally slept I had disturbing dreams. Keeping up with a 2.5 yo is hard work as well. 2nd trimester can not come soon enough!

#10 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 02:08 PM

I'll join in! I'm so jealous of those of you who can cook. and eat normal food! I am still feeling so nauseated and every food just seems so unappealing to me. I miss eating and cooking! My poor DH has been fending for himself but he is just not that good at cooking so he's been resorting to frozen meals (at least we get the Kashi ones, they are a little better than others). For some reason today I woke up with a pounding headache so I took some Tylenol which only made me vomit violently. Sigh. I'm getting really tired of feeling sick constantly. I had a few good days over the weekend, but yesterday and today have been awful. Since this is my first LO, I am having a hard time reminding myself that this is going to be worth it in the end, because I have never felt what it is like to be a mom and have the baby finally.

We did get to see the baby yesterday in an u/s, and it was amazing how much it has grown since the 6th week (I'm 11w now)! It looks like a little baby now instead of a little sea monkey, lol. I love seeing the heartbeat, so that cheered me up a little bit. It was also awesome to see DH smiling so big looking at his baby :) Even if he did admit to me after wards that seeing the u/s made him feel a little queasy because of how you can see all the internal stuff moving around outside the uterus (he's really squeamish about body stuff). He was still really excited to see the baby.

Carrie: that's so funny about the slow cooker! I'm so glad you saved the day and just baked it instead, lol.

Also, is anybody else having a hard time with adapting to temperature changes? I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I just get hot really fast, and get cold to the point of shivering really fast too. I feel like my body is way more sensitive the the temperature than usual. is this normal?

#11 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Sorry for the mamas who are sick/nauseous! Hope it passes soon!

Carrie - your girl is soooo cute! And, I can't believe you ran! I know I should exercise, but dragging myself around the house seems to suck up all my energy!

Peony - I'm drooling over your french toast casserole! Want to share the recipe? innocent.gif

I'm doing pretty well. My grad classes started last week, and so far it's not too bad. I am freaking out over having to write papers and take tests, but I think if I do a little each day, I won't get too overwhelmed. Of course, it's early in the semester....

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#12 of 376 Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Also, is anybody else having a hard time with adapting to temperature changes? I don't know exactly how to describe it, but I just get hot really fast, and get cold to the point of shivering really fast too. I feel like my body is way more sensitive the the temperature than usual. is this normal?

I don't remember this from my previous pregnancies, but I'm definitely experiencing that this time. 

Today I had my first good day in two weeks.  I had little nausea and more energy than I've had in quite a while.  I managed to get a bunch of stuff done around the house.  Of course, now I'm exhausted and paying for it!  I got my first appointment lined up for the 28th.  And I managed to eat 2 bowls of Frosted Flakes, which I haven't eaten in probably 15 years!  lol  The sweet cravings are so weird for me.   

Carrie, that pic of your dd is so cute!  My boys pretend to be knights or ninjas and have mock battles.  A tea party sounds so peaceful and quiet.  :-)

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#13 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 AM

Hi all! Guess I'll jump back in to the chat thread now that I'm back from the US and busy visiting MDC, err, working again...

Jessica, I also have way more sweet cravings than usual, so strange because I usually don't want sweets!

It's actually kind of hard for me to read about all this food. Food is good when I am eating, but somehow thinking about it makes me nauseous shrug.gif Sorry for you ladies who are so sick! It's difficult enough having random aversions and gagging at smells. Oh, I can't really open the fridge much. It doesn't really smell *bad* but the combination of smells does not make my stomach happy!

Jbouck, about the temperature changes, I have definitely noticed a different response to being tired, which is that I get really cold! Sort of odd. I am usually a cold person, but when I get cold-tired it's like all my energy is withdrawing and I just have to curl up under the blankets. Haven't noticed so much heating up easily though. 

I haven't actually made any prenatal appointments yet. The very thought actually makes me really anxious. My heart beats really fast and I feel unpleasant. Really not looking forward to going there. I know my blood pressure is going to be way high because it makes me so nervous to be there - I just wonder if they will understand that or I will get diagnosed with hypertension eyesroll.gif I've been thinking of getting a cuff to measure it myself - maybe they will listen when I tell them it's normal at home... I don't even know why I have such a strong visceral anxiety reaction to the mere thought of visiting the prenatal clinic. I guess it's just a combination of everything, the language barrier, the patronizing little handouts they give you, knowing they will be displeased when I refuse the nuchal fold test, disagreeing with their nutritional advice but having to just smile and nod anyway to avoid a confrontation, the institutional atmosphere, the midwife I will probably have to see (I saw her before once and she was not very nice, but I'm pretty sure she handles most of the prenatal appointments at that clinic). Oh how I wish homebirth midwives did prenatals here! I would even consider a UP if I didn't know I'd get major flak for going in later if I detected a problem. I guess I'm actually still sort of considering it. Sigh. Anyway that's my whine for today... back to work!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#14 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 04:52 AM

Peony- That french toast casserole sounds delicious. I'd love the recipe as well!

Carrie- Awww! I miss the tea party days. DD was forever having soirees when she was a little girl.

Bri's Girl- I swing between hating to eat and avoiding food at all costs, to eating like there's no tomorrow. It is the oddest thing! At least my weight is holding steady now. I am making it my goal to not gain another ounce until I am in the 2nd trimester.

zombie bride- I am sorry you are feeling so poorly! I agree, the 2nd trimester can't come fast enough!

Jbouck5- I can't cook food, but I can eat it! I've turned my long suffering DH into my own personal short order cook. So cool you got to see your little one on ultrasound!

BirdieB- Good luck with your classes!

Jessica- How nice to have a good day finally! It is so easy to overdo it when you're feeling decent.

So I feel like I am barely hanging on lately! I am 9.5 weeks pregnant, I have the cold from HELL, and this past weekend I hosted my dd's 7th birthday/ slumber party. Well, that nearly killed me. The girls stayed up until 4AM and I barely got a wink of sleep, between the girls and my sick ds. I swear I am still not recovered from the experience. I could not have done it without my awesome DH though. He was cooking, cleaning, making the girls ice cream cones... you name it!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#15 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 AM

This is the email I had to send out yesterday to the health dept (where I work) because everyone kept pestering my director for the recipe!

Apple Raisin French Toast Casserole

• 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 3 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1 (1 pound) loaf French baguette, cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1  cup milk
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish, place bread cubes into dish. Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Pour over bread, mashing the bread down with a fork. In another bowl, mix together brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Mix in melted butter. Stir in apples and raisins until evenly coated, pour over bread.
  2.  Cover with aluminum foil, and refrigerate overnight.
  3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove dish from refrigerator while the oven is heating. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I am one of those annoying people who never follows a recipe exactly, so I altered the original recipe. It called for 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of butter, 6 eggs, and 1 1/2 cups of milk. I find that makes the bread much more mushy so I decreased the liquid but maybe someone prefers it that way. Another variation that you can do is to use raisin bread instead of the baguette, just decrease the cinnamon and raisins, or do half and half with the bread. When I made it for the staff meeting, I actually doubled the recipe using two baguettes and threw in an extra loaf of raisin bread just to feed more people. I increased the eggs back up to 6 per recipe to account for the extra bread but left the apples the same. 

Regarding temp changes, I swear that I have been having hot flashes for a weeks now, I have never experienced this before. And Baby Cakes, I was thinking of you last night! I put turkey chili in the crockpot, cooked it all day and then fed the family while I scurried around making school lunches. No one really ate anything which is odd because all my children love chili. I took a bite and realized I forgot to add in any cumin and chili powder. That certainly makes a difference in the taste.

#16 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Forgot to add, you can slice the bread to be more like regular french toast but I only usually serve this for large groups so I cube it for easy serving. 

#17 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Peony - that recipe looks great! I'm going to try to make it this weekend for breakfast.

~SynEpona~
#18 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone! I've been a little in the dumps lately. I had thought this was going to be an easier pregnancy on me than the last one nausea-wise. The past few days I have been so sick. I vomited my dinner the past 2 nights and have been too sick and exhausted to exercise. I'd been doing so well, too! I was so proud of myself. Last night I made a simple stir fry that should have taken half an hour. For some unknown reason, it took an hour and a half! I'm sorry to complain, but my last pregnancy was so very hard and I really wanted this one to be better. I do hope the nausea doesn't last halfway through the second trimester, though. :-(

Jen, it's great that you husband is so supportive. I hope you start to feel much better soon!

Welcome, ursusarctos. I'm sorry about your midwife situation. It sucks when you're not comfortable with the person overseeing your birth.

Jessica, congrats on the good day! I could see overdoing it on a good day--because I feel so bad most of the time at the things that aren't getting done right now.

Birdie B, what classes are you taking? I toy with the idea of returning to grad school. The program I want to study under is a distance learning program, which is cool, but it would require me to be away from my babies for 7-10 days a time twice a year. I need to wait at least a few years to be able to do that! LOL! Good luck!

jbouck5, I was hit hard my first pregnancy with nausea and remember being entirely frustrated with it. (And now here I go again.) Hang in there. Congrats on the ultrasound! 

zombie_bride, I'm with you! Here's looking to the second trimester!

Bri's girl, I hope your cough gets better.

Carrie, your little girl is so cute! And I envy you for being able to run on the treadmill. Maybe soon I'll be able to start exercising again.

#19 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Peony, thank for sharing this recipe! I'm going to have to make it this weekend!

#20 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 AM

I almost wish I hadn't felt so good yesterday.  I thought maybe I was turning a corner and wasn't going to be so sick all day long, but it appears that I just had a random good day for no reason.  :-(  Today I only feel good if I keep eating, but I can't eat a.l.l. d.a.y. l.o.n.g!  But I guess I don't have much choice today, it's either eat or be nauseated and continue vomitting.  Off to have a pity party and a good cry.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#21 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:34 AM

Hugs to everyone who isn't feeling well.  This morning was tough for me as well.  I feel like at this stage, we get a good day thrown to us here and there and then it's back to feeling quite miserable.

Kind of like when babies start STTN and we get really excited and hopeful and then boom -- they start waking up 5 times a night again! LOL!

I feel like I get so irritated at DH for the littlest things. I NEED to knock it off.  He just really gets on my nerves, even though he's SUCH a good guy.  Sigh.

We got some snow last night so today I've declared it a lazy snow day and DD and I (finally) made cinnamon buns. I've been craving them for weeks! I'm going to post a pic in the cravings thread.  I don't want to post it here just in case it makes someone's tummy do flips!   I've never made them before and they weren't too hard to throw together!

#22 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:44 AM

I definitely agree that we can all chat together. grouphug.gif

I just want to point out that I started the First Time Mamas chat because you started a chat thread for mamas with little ones at home and I was just feeling a little left out of the chat activity that day. wink1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

And first time moms and BTDT moms can chat together!  I don't see any reason to separate us in a chat thread -- we can learn so much from each other!  

Moo.

#23 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

I definitely agree that we can all chat together. grouphug.gif

I just want to point out that I started the First Time Mamas chat because you started a chat thread for mamas with little ones at home and I was just feeling a little left out of the chat activity that day. wink1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Aww! I know and I'm so sorry!  I really didn't intend for that to be a chat.  More of a support/vent thread.  Maybe b/c I started the last official chat it came across like a chat.  I never meant to exclude anyone! 

#24 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 08:55 AM

Whew.  I just got off the phone with the first midwife.  She called me out of the blue and honestly I didn't recognize the number so I answered.  OMG my heart started racing!  I hate confrontation and I absolutely hate disappointing people!!  But I told her honestly that we had decided to go with someone else and she was such a sweetheart about it.  

I still feel terrible though.

#25 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 10:03 AM

This last week has been the WORST week I've had.  I feel so much sicker all of a sudden.  I'm so tired, and so tired of being tired.  I'll be 12 weeks on Sat, I thought it was supposed to start getting better!  I'm just getting worn down from feeling crappy for so long.  And, when will my breasts stop hurting?!?!?! 

I'm over it.

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#26 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Sorry to be such a downer, btw.  Hope others are feeling better than I am!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#27 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 10:34 AM
pjs

Not a downer copper. I was just Wondering this morning if I'm the only one who still feels so crappy. I haven't thrown up, but I literally want to spend all my time in bed. The CONSTANT nausea is killing me, I have no energy and no motivation. Cooking lunch or dinner for the family requires me to muster up all the strength I have and I know I have at least another 3-5 weeks of this.
#28 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

This last week has been the WORST week I've had.  I feel so much sicker all of a sudden.  I'm so tired, and so tired of being tired.  I'll be 12 weeks on Sat, I thought it was supposed to start getting better!  I'm just getting worn down from feeling crappy for so long.  And, when will my breasts stop hurting?!?!?! 

I'm over it.

hug2.gif

Not a downer!  We all feel like crap. We all hear you! 

#29 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 01:56 PM

Yep, I'll second that we all feel like crap. Ad the boobs, mine start to slowly feel better in the 2nd tri, the first 12 weeks, everything hurts them. And it doesn't help DS is still nursing like a fiend. I really want to clean my house right now (again) but that would mean I would have to get up. I don't know if I can do that. 

#30 of 376 Old 01-12-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
 I really want to clean my house right now (again) but that would mean I would have to get up. I don't know if I can do that. 

Oh gosh thanks for saying this!  I feel awful b/c all I want to do is lie on the couch or on the floor.  I just let DD climb all over me.  If I'm lucky that keeps her happy.

When is DH coming downstairs from workkkkk?  I really need a break for like 15 min!  dizzy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page