Done with coffee! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For the past 6 weeks, I've still been drinking coffee even though I didn't really want it.  I didn't want to give it up.  Before getting pg it was so delicious and comforting and wonderful and helped me get thru the day!  Well, for the past two days I've been making my cup and barely sipping it.  Today, I put my foot down and told DH, "I don't want any coffee today, only make for yourself."  His eyes just about bugged out of his head and he was all, "Are you ok? You feel ok?"

So I'm calling it!  Done with it!  It's gross to me right now and I hope it forgives me after the baby comes and I can go right back to drinking it!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm right there with you.  Coffee was making the morning sickness worse so I gave it up.  I've found hot chocolate to be a good substitute for it.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
#3 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Yep, coffee is gross to me too... once every few days I can do an iced coffee but that's about it. Which stinks because i LOVE coffee.

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#4 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 AM

Another former coffee lover here. DH has given up  making my morning cup. It just sat there, unsipped. I miss loving coffee, too. I am sure the love for it will come back for us all once we have our babies.

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#5 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm there with you! This has been my first week with no coffee. I don't usually drink a ton, but I normally have 1-1 1/2 cups on a daily basis. I just don't want it. I was reluctant to give it up, though. I think my husband is happy. He doesn't like me drinking coffee in early pregnancy.

Last pregnancy after the nausea wore off, I was able to handle a little coffee again.

#6 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 08:50 AM

I cut down from about 4 cups a day to just one when I found out I was pregnant, and I'm still sad about having to do that. That one cup is like gold to me, so glad it doesn't make me sick.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#7 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 AM

Right there with you mamas!!  During all of my pregnancies in the 1st trimester coffee totally disgusts me!!  It makes me queasy just to think about it, let alone drink it.  I'm looking forward to the 2nd trimester starting in a couple weeks so I can drink it again.  I LOVE coffee normally and really miss my morning cup!!  Hopefully you all will be able to drink it again soon!

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#8 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 09:21 AM

When we were TTC I cut down to a travel mug full of half regular half decaf.  I kept drinking coffee until 6 weeks when I realized I didn't want it and it bothered my stomach.  I really really miss it.  I sometimes have tea but it's not even close to the same thing.  I actually had a dream last week that I was drinking coffee and really really enjoying it.  Hopefully I'll get my appetite back for it after the first trimester so I can at least enjoy some decaf or half caf once in a while. :(

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
#9 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 AM

I gave up my coffee when we were TTC. I love, love, love my coffee, too, but I'm kind of a stickler about no caffeine during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  I know they say it's safe in moderation, but it's just a thing with me.  Luckily, even the smell of coffee makes me gag during the 1st tri, so it's not much of a sacrifice.  However, I have been craving a big glass of iced black tea like crazy the past couple of days.  It's killing me!  I know if I have even an ounce of caffeine, though, I'll have to start over with the caffeine withdrawal headaches and it's just not worth the misery.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#10 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

DDCC

I just saw this pop up before entering my own DDC and was curious since I was sitting here thoroughly enjoying my coffee.  Ha!  I have struggled with HG and couldn't tolerate coffee in real or imagined form.  I mean, seriously, if my husband offered me certain things, just inmagining it sent me straight to the bathroom to puke.  I wanted to want it since it'd been such a comfort before.  Well, here I am, about 21 wks pregnant.  I still throw up from time to time, but I am back on the coffee train and it is glorious!  I add lots of cream and go half-decaf, but still, I love the feeling, the taste, the smell!  So gald I can drink it again.  Y'all will be there in no time.  ;)

#11 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I gave up my coffee when we were TTC. I love, love, love my coffee, too, but I'm kind of a stickler about no caffeine during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  I know they say it's safe in moderation, but it's just a thing with me. 

yeahthat.gif

Unfortunately, every time I walk past a coffee shop (and there are about three on every block here in the Pacific NW) and I absolutely WANT coffee, but I won't touch even decaf.

Moo.

#12 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Congratulations! You can do it! I'm an avid mountain dew drinker...I was having about 32 ounces a day and have been drinking it for seven years. I always cut back during pregnancy but this time I cannot stand the sight of it and haven't had one in 2 1/2 weeks. It feels amazing to break the habit! 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#13 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I gave up my coffee when we were TTC. I love, love, love my coffee, too, but I'm kind of a stickler about no caffeine during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  I know they say it's safe in moderation, but it's just a thing with me.  Luckily, even the smell of coffee makes me gag during the 1st tri, so it's not much of a sacrifice.  However, I have been craving a big glass of iced black tea like crazy the past couple of days.  It's killing me!  I know if I have even an ounce of caffeine, though, I'll have to start over with the caffeine withdrawal headaches and it's just not worth the misery.

Wow, no caffeine at all even thru bf'ing!?  You are definitely dedicated.  I don't think I could go 3+ years without any caffeine.  I love, love, love to enjoy a cup of coffee.  Or iced tea.  Or a soda.  LOL - no but I really admire your dedication!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenyostdc View Post

Right there with you mamas!!  During all of my pregnancies in the 1st trimester coffee totally disgusts me!!  It makes me queasy just to think about it, let alone drink it.  I'm looking forward to the 2nd trimester starting in a couple weeks so I can drink it again.  I LOVE coffee normally and really miss my morning cup!!  Hopefully you all will be able to drink it again soon!

I hope I can drink it next trimester.  I really miss enjoying it! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebugsmom View Post

I'm right there with you.  Coffee was making the morning sickness worse so I gave it up.  I've found hot chocolate to be a good substitute for it.

Hmm, maybe hot chocolate would fill the void.  I've been drinking my morning wellness tea (been so queasy) and it's nice but man, it's just not the same!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#14 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 10:19 AM

To clarify, I have low milk supply issues due in part to breast surgery a few years ago and had to have specialized support from a lactation pediatritian including, herbs, medication, pumping, and weekly feed and weigh sessions for my DS beginning when he was 5 wks old.  I had starting drinking one cup of coffee a day again after he was born and was instructed to stop again because caffeine can negatively affect milk production.  Plus, DS had acid reflux which may have been aggravated by the caffeine.  When DS began eating solids and I cut way down on BF'ing, I did start drinking one cup a day again.  In fact I am still BF'ing DS at 19 mo and plan to tandem if possible, but I'll continue with no caffeine until the new baby is on solids. 

It's brutal!  I LOVE my caffeine.  But I love my babies more love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Quote:

Wow, no caffeine at all even thru bf'ing!?  You are definitely dedicated.  I don't think I could go 3+ years without any caffeine.  I love, love, love to enjoy a cup of coffee.  Or iced tea.  Or a soda.  LOL - no but I really admire your dedication!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#15 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Oh dear. I cut down to one cup of coffee a day. And I was fine with that. I even skipped days because I didn't really want anything to do with coffee. However, in the last few days all I can think about is coffee. I want it soooooooooooooooooo bad. It tastes like heaven in a cup. Mmmm. It's awful because I want Dunkin Donuts iced coffee something awful, but it has over twice the amount of caffeine as hot coffee so I won't drink it. I brew regular coffee and then put it in the fridge so I can have my iced coffee fix. I only allow myself one cup a day and it's loaded with half a cow's worth of milk. I will not touch decaf.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#16 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
 but it has over twice the amount of caffeine as hot coffee so I won't drink it. 

It does??!? How???  What if you got a half decaf iced coffee?  OMG I would dieeee!

Erica - that makes total sense, and I still think you're awesome and you're right - I would do the same in a heartbeat! 

#17 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

Unfortunately, every time I walk past a coffee shop (and there are about three on every block here in the Pacific NW) and I absolutely WANT coffee, but I won't touch even decaf.

Laughing, because this is SO the truth!  We love our coffee over here!  I gave mine up because it didn't taste good anymore.  But I switch to decaf in pregnancy/nursing so I do hope I'll like it again soon (I usually do)  Although I'll limit myself to a few a week. :)

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#18 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 PM

Ha, I am in the same boat Carrie. Before I got pregnant I had my morning coffee everyday, and it was a routine that I cherished! Once I started feeling nauseated and vomiting, even the faint smell of coffee made me heave. For a while I really missed it, but I have substituted earl grey tea which is a million times more appealing to me right now anyway, and it keeps away the caffine headache. I have always limited myself to 8oz of coffee/tea a day, so that really hasn't changed much. I kind of went through the same thing with beer, DH and I love our craft brews (like all good Coloradans :) and obviously I cut that completely once I found out I was preg. For a while I really missed enjoying beer, even though the thought of it kind of grossed me out.

#19 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 02:05 PM

Aw, I wish I didn't want coffee! I am trying SO hard to only drink one (tiny) cup a day, but for some reason I've been craving it more than ever! It's so not fair! I want to drink it all day, I want to sit at coffee shops, and I even want it after dinner!  I'm going to blame it on starting grad school, but I think this baby might just love coffee! I must go buy a bag of decaf so I can drink more!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#20 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 02:17 PM

DDC crashing from September... I am glad to hear I am not the only one who suddenly can't drink coffee!  I am 6 weeks and I have still been making my morning cup, only 1/2 decaf.  It just doesn't taste good to me anymore, which is so strange because I looooove my morning coffee.  I'll drink half of it and end up throwing it out.  I've been toying with the idea of just not making it anymore but I think I'm in denial that this is really happening.  SO weird!

#21 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was definitely in denial.  It was bad.  Honestly for at least the past two weeks I've been making it, and letting it sit and then maybe taking one sip...and then finally pouring it out.  I just didn't want to admit that I didn't want it!

#22 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

My coffee consumption is decreasing as well. For years I have drank two cups but only because I had a massive coffee cup. shy.gif It broke a couple weeks ago, and so now with the next largest size I have, it is about 3 cups. I am down to 2, I still need one but I am sipping on the last one rather then downing it. I always lose the taste for it in the first tri for a couple/few weeks and then go back to drinking a lesser amount and eventually lack of sleep has me upping it again. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#23 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Good job cutting out the coffee.  I weaned myself off as soon as I found out I was pregnant.  I joked with DP that I almost didn't want to test the day I did because I would feel obligated to not drink coffee--I love it, but cut out all caffiene and don't use any medications (unless I absolutely have to while I'm pregnant).  The cutting out coffee turns out not to be too bad as is starts to taste bad to me early in my pregnancies and then I just don't drink it.  With DD I was able to drink coffee right away after she was born--like the next day or day after and it was goooood!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#24 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM

Good job! If I'm a barista and can give up coffee, then I know you can TOO!  bouncy.gif hehe

- Rachel lady.gif

+ married to Red photosmile2.gif
+ mama to Brooklynn luxlove.gif (age 12)

+ mama to Alder femalesling.GIF born 08/10/11!

#25 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 AM

I recently took back up my half cup of real, purely caffeinated coffee every morning.  It is my one luxury I can afford myself since, get this, CHOCOLATE makes my stomach churn!  I figure a half cup of the high test can't be all that bad?  (esp. since I turn it into a full cup with so much cream!--very low cal, I know!) 

#26 of 26 Old 01-14-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post
 but it has over twice the amount of caffeine as hot coffee so I won't drink it. 

It does??!? How???  What if you got a half decaf iced coffee?  OMG I would dieeee!

Erica - that makes total sense, and I still think you're awesome and you're right - I would do the same in a heartbeat! 

They double brew iced coffee so it won't be dilute. Horrible. I had a heart attack when I read it and then worried myself half to death. Now, if you make plain old coffee at home and put it in the fridge the coffee content is the same because you're only brewing it once.

Here is what I do...it's a psychological thing:

I make one cup of coffee and pour it into a Mason jar and put it in the fridge (I like iced coffee, but you can jusy re-heat it if you want it hot). I then drink 1/3 of a cup at a time throughout the day. I load it with milk so it seems like a whole cup. By breaking it up into 3rds it's like having 3 cups of coffee during the day. At least, I have tricked myself into believing that.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page