Does this happen to you? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm trying to figure out if this is typical/common or if it might be related to medication dose issue...

Every night for the last 2.5 weeks, I wake up to pee around 3:30-4am.  I know that's not all that weird.  What's weird is I CANNOT fall back asleep after that.  I don't know why.  I don't feel anxious or stressed.  I just can't go back to sleep.  I'm exhausted!  Plus I can't nap unless it's the weekend because I work all day and get home after 4:30 and can't nap then or I'll never fall asleep. 

So does this sound typical or should I look into my medications as a possible cause?  I'm also going to try a protein snack before bed (or have one by the bedside) since sometimes I feel like I'm hungry.

Thanks for any help.

(Sleepy) Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 01:10 PM

The protein snack before bed is a great idea, but just out of curiosity, are you eating one when you get up?  I have the same problem some nights, and I don't *feel* hungry AT ALL, but then I'll start snacking, and it's like a lightbulb goes off.

I'd maybe say to have a pre-prepped, high protein snack in the fridge waiting for you when you wake up.  Go pee, and if you haven't fallen back asleep after a short while, get up and eat the snack, even if you're not feeling particularly hungry.

Doing a few minutes of good stretching sometimes helps too.  But you're not alone...  I've been waking at 4:30 just WIDE awake greensad.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 01:41 PM

I hear ya. I wake up to pee several times a night and often can't get back to sleep. I am a person who has NEVER had trouble sleeping and this insomnia lately is really weird. I just chalked it up to a pregnancy thing.

Jen - 39, happily married, mom to Amanda - 7 and expecting the next little one August 2011
#4 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Oh yeah, this has happened to me a few times!  Such a royal pain.  Unfortunately I know for me it only gets worse!  I remember with DD, I used to wake up like clockwork at 4, wide awake, get up, get a bowl of cereal and sit on the couch and watch TV for a bit.  Then go back to bed and get up for work at 8:30, lol.

Something funny, though.  After DD was born, she ALWAYS woke up at 4 am.  Even now, if she practically sleeps thru the night, she still usually wakes at 4 am (aside from any other time) and calls out to me.  So weird, right?  I bet it just has to do with rhythms and what not but I always thought that was funny.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

This is happening to me, too!  Exact same thing.  I've read that it's our bodies getting ready for "newborn feeding" schedules.  I keep trying to tell my body "it's ok, I fed the baby, you can go back to sleep now."  Hasn't worked!

What sometimes works, as a PP said, is a snack.  I have some dried fruit and crackers that I keep by my bed.  If I snack on something, I generally fall back to sleep quicker than when I don't.  But sometimes I'm too tired to snack!  It's so weird to lay there totally exhausted and just not sleeping...

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#6 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much ladies!!!

Even though I'm totally exhausted, it's nice to hear that it is probably just the pregnancy and not my meds being off.  I will have a snack ready to go tonight for my 4am wake up call and see if I fall back asleep.  I'll keep you posted!!!

What do you think would be the best kind of snack to have around that time? 

I really appreciate the feedback.  I was starting to worry there was something else going on.

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#7 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

This is happening to me, too!  Exact same thing.  I've read that it's our bodies getting ready for "newborn feeding" schedules.  I keep trying to tell my body "it's ok, I fed the baby, you can go back to sleep now."  Hasn't worked!

That cracked me up!!

Bree

#8 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 03:55 PM
pjs

It's happening to me too. Sometimes I wake up at two and I can usually fall back asleep, but if I wake up at 3:30/4:00 forget it. I have a glass of milk but I usually have to get up to go pee again before I fall back asleep. I stay in bed and sometimes it isn't until 6 before I finally fall back asleep.

In a prior pregnancy I'd pull out the iPod and listen to hypnobabies and that usually helpedvme fall back asleep.
#9 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Totally happening to me too. I am up from 1 to about 5 and then I want to die when my alarm goes off. I have been SO exhausted it's made me completely useless at points during the day. I finally broke down and took a unisom last night and oh my goodness I can't even describe how amazing I have felt all day. And I woke up before my alarm all on my own!

#10 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post

It's happening to me too. Sometimes I wake up at two and I can usually fall back asleep, but if I wake up at 3:30/4:00 forget it. I have a glass of milk but I usually have to get up to go pee again before I fall back asleep. I stay in bed and sometimes it isn't until 6 before I finally fall back asleep.

In a prior pregnancy I'd pull out the iPod and listen to hypnobabies and that usually helpedvme fall back asleep.

My midwife actually suggested I try hypobabies stuff.  My DH is now thinking I should try it and he even bought a book to help me.  He's so cute. :)  Guess it's worth a shot.

Bree

#11 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Totally happening to me too. I am up from 1 to about 5 and then I want to die when my alarm goes off. I have been SO exhausted it's made me completely useless at points during the day. I finally broke down and took a unisom last night and oh my goodness I can't even describe how amazing I have felt all day. And I woke up before my alarm all on my own!

It's reassuring to hear how many of you sound EXACTLY like me.  If I ever do fall back asleep, it's right before my alarm goes off which is even more painful.  It literally hurts to get out of bed.  One morning last week I actually cried.  DH has been sleeping in the other room because I don't want him to have a bad night too with me flip-flopping all night.  This morning he came in the bedroom to find me curled up on the floor with my dog on her bed.  He picked me up and said, "That's not where you sleep."  :)  I had gotten out of bed and dragged myself up and only made it as far as her bed before I cuddled with her for the excuse to lay back down.

Bree

#12 of 18 Old 01-20-2011, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

It's reassuring to hear how many of you sound EXACTLY like me.  If I ever do fall back asleep, it's right before my alarm goes off which is even more painful.  It literally hurts to get out of bed.  One morning last week I actually cried.  DH has been sleeping in the other room because I don't want him to have a bad night too with me flip-flopping all night.  This morning he came in the bedroom to find me curled up on the floor with my dog on her bed.  He picked me up and said, "That's not where you sleep."  :)  I had gotten out of bed and dragged myself up and only made it as far as her bed before I cuddled with her for the excuse to lay back down.

Bree

This sounds like something I would totally do...  :)

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
#13 of 18 Old 01-20-2011, 05:07 AM

I am due in mid April but in the begining of the pregnancy I was experiencing exactly the same thing down to the time frame. It lasted for first trimester for me and went away after that.
#14 of 18 Old 01-20-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I had gotten out of bed and dragged myself up and only made it as far as her bed before I cuddled with her for the excuse to lay back down.

Oh, Bree!  This mental picture is so sad!  You poor thing!!  I hope you get some very much needed rest soon.  Almost there, mama.  Almost there.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 18 Old 01-20-2011, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I slept much better last night.  Not good, but better.  I woke up at 2:30am to pee (which is an hour earlier than usual), but I decided I would see if I fell back asleep without a snack.  I had some cheese in a lunchbox with an ice pack beside the bed ready to go just in case.  :)  I did fall asleep again.  Not right away, but not hours later either.  Then I woke up at 5 again and had a horrible time falling back asleep, but I felt like I would wake up more if I ate since it was so close to my alarm going off.  Unfortunately I fell asleep before the alarm and it sucked trying to wake up.  Sounds awful, but I honestly got more hours of sleep than the night before.  I had a bad food choice before bed (a giant glass of milk - good, and a cupcake - bad) because I was too tired to prepare anything and I had nothing ready to go.  Tonight I will make a better choice and see if that helps more.

So I felt great this morning...now I am soooo dizzy I can't stand.  I had to come home from work, but before I could drive, I had to lay down in the car to feel well enough to drive.  Well, I can stand, but I feel like I'll tip over.  It's awful.  I haven't been taking any iron in my vitamins because my ferritin was high before pregnancy and even at the start when I was 5 wks.  I haven't been having any beef like I usually do.  Do you think I might have low iron and it's time to take a prenatal with iron in it?  Or is this just normal pregnancy dizzy?  One of my pregnancy books says dizziness is super common especially in the beginning of the second trimester (me next week) because the blood volume versus vein size issue. 

Still happy as a clam to be pregnant and love hearing stories of others having the same experiences...but it would be nice is the dizziness would go away.  I'd rather have insomnia.  :)  Trade one evil for another.

Bree

#16 of 18 Old 01-20-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexapurple View Post

I am due in mid April but in the begining of the pregnancy I was experiencing exactly the same thing down to the time frame. It lasted for first trimester for me and went away after that.

Thanks.  Hopefully mine will end soon too.  Thanks for some hope! :)

Bree

#17 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm happy to report some improvement.  I'm not sleeping the night, but when I do wake up, it's not taking me 2-3 hours to fall back asleep.  I had a rough night Friday, but that was because I was really stressed about a crappy meeting I had a work.  Other than that, I've been getting more sleep.  I sure would love a full night's sleep, but I'll just be happy with the improvement for now.  I'm now 12 wks, 2 days so maybe the first trimester stuff is subsiding.  Just thought I'd pass on the message.

Thanks ladies.

Bree

#18 of 18 Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 PM

Thanks Bree!

I'm so glad things are shaping up for you!!

For me they're just starting.  The past 2-3 nights I've had some "me time" smack in the middle of the night.  I read a bit one night for an hour and then last night I had a snack and read MDC for a bit.  I've been coming out to the couch so I don't bother DH or DD.  Such a pain!  I'm dragging thru the day b/c of it.  Light at the end of the tunnel is nice to hear about!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page