Crafty mamas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now that my energy is starting to come back (I love that it happens early for me!) my crafty fingers have been ITCHING!

Here's my to-do list so far...I wanna see yours too!

Cloth Diapers (waiting to find out gender for most of them)

• 24nb fitteds (3 done)
  • 6nb AIO (2 done)
  • 4 fleece covers
  • 4 wool covers
  • 4 wool shorties

Baby stuff:

Nursery Stuff:

Maternity:

Phew!  So, what's on your list! 

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#2 of 32 Old 01-24-2011, 05:13 PM

I had a bunch of maternity clothes on the list, but those are done now!

I altered 3 pairs of jeans to be maternity, made a skirt, 3 pairs of leggings, a tunic, and 3 shirts. I do have one dress and another tunic planned, but they are more summer-y so I'm not in a rush to finish them.

For baby stuff:

I have a NB size SWAP (sew with a plan) layette cut out, and will hopefully finish that before Feb 1st.

I did 12 prefolds already (sewn from diaper twill), and 2 of 3 large receibing blankets/swaddling blankets in single cotton layers for summer weight. All of my son's swaddling blankets are winter weight.

I have patterns traced out for 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9 mth wardrobes, but I will wait till after the 20 week ultrasound, so that I can hopefully sew in gender specific colours/styles (so March sometime)

For February, I'm focusing on getting my almost 4yo's spring/summer clothes done, as well as crib/basinette sheets, baby hooded towels, more wipes, bibs...

Then, March is for finishing up diapers/covers in NB sizes. Our stash is pretty complete from smalls - potty time. I'll also start on the 0-3mth clothes.

April: 3-6, and 6-9 mth clothes.

May: I'll get my 'summer' maternity clothes sewn up, and also any nursing shirts that I decide to make.

For each of the 4 size ranges (NB-9mth), I'm making 6-8 outfits, as well as 4-6 pj/gowns, and hats & soft shoes. I'll also be making sleep sacks in a few sizes and weights (we camp, so we'll use warm ones in the tent or trailer in the early fall/late summer, and lighter ones in the house)

If the baby is a girl, I'd like to make a girly carrier or sling. Mine were only as girly as I could wear DS in, so even if they had more feminine style they were still blues/greens, not pink or purple! I figured I was wearing them, the baby wasn't, but didn't want to go so far as to put him in a pink carrier.

Thanks for sharing that shirt to skirt link! I've been meaning to make a skirt like that for a while and had forgotten about it.

~SynEpona~
#3 of 32 Old 01-24-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

You so make me feel less insane! lol...I always have BIG plans.  Hopefully I won't encounter too many pregnancy related obstacles like I did last time.  And hopefully we'll only have one foster kiddo around so I can get some stuff done!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#4 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 04:40 AM

Wow! You are both so inspiring!

I love that shirt skirt tutorial. I need to make some of those!

Things I'd like to make soon:
Faux Bella Band

Circle skirts (I have one I made pre-pregnancy and it is soooo comfy right now!)

Pocket diaper inserts (I don't have enough for DS, I am certainly not going to have enough for two babies in diapers!)

I'd like to make my own diapers, but I am not a fan of aplix. Anyone here have a snap press or resin snap setter? I've been wanting one for ages, just wondering how well they work.

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#5 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 05:17 AM

I have a snap press works great! You can also get snap pliers now for the resin snaps - I believe they run around $30 and they work quite well from what I've heard.

I have to make a newborn & OS stash... probably a few outfits too. Probably a few skirts/shirts for the late summer when nothing else will fit. And I have a TON of knitting scheduled! Lots of longies in my future!

I'm also a member of a really awesome diaper sewing group, feel free to PM me if anyone wants a link :)

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#6 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm currently working on some tie-on diapers, like the Disana ones. This batch are for DS, but I'll need more for the new little one too.

I'm also working on some extra maternity clothes. I just finished a skirt for Church/formal and need to get the matching top started.

I also plan on making some clothes from some of DH's old t-shirts. I've been stockpiling them as I only got a sewing machine at Christmas. I've been hand sewing until now, so I'm looking forward to getting back to using a machine.

I also have plans for some new changing mat covers from some old towels, and some extra diaper inserts too.

I need to finish a play mat quilt for DS to play on before he gets mobile.

Then I have extra swaddling blankets, and lots of crochet blankets to make.

I think that is it for now, although I'm really tempted to try making a wipe clean cover for the high chair. It was given to us by a friend, but the seat padding cover isn't machine washable and not easy to wipe clean, it was free though so I don't mind having to make a new cover for it.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 06:30 AM

I got my snap press from Serena's yahoo-group, she ships directly from China, is super helpful with questions and has a great product.

This is her store, and she also has the snap pliers. http://www.assuntastore.com/Snap-Pliers-c3/

I figured out the costs, and as long as I put like 8-12 snap pairs on at least 40 items, I was coming out ahead to buy the press than to keep paying the snap setting service to do them for me! I put snaps on everything now :) They are great for kids cardigans too, after you run out of diapering items to put snaps on. And bibs! All my bibs have snaps, so I never get them stuck to the towels or eachother in the laundry. Plus, even my almost 4yo can't get them off -- he still wears a big bib for spaghetti and other really messy meals sometimes.

I don't actually like to shop, so I use all the time I would be shopping for things to sew instead :D My son's current wardrobe is all either made-by-mama, gifts or the odd thing from Once Upon A Child (jeans mostly), and I do buy him socks b/c I don't like knitting! I even made his parka & snowpants this year.

~SynEpona~
#8 of 32 Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 AM

I need to make a few fitted or fitted pocket diapers and wipes.  However, my SIL owns a fabric and cloth diaper business so I'll just buy most of the diapers and wool covers from her.  My parents are quilters, but I will probably make a few lightweight blankets.   

Mostly I will be sewing onesies, sleepers, kimonos, pants, soft shoes, and a few different styles of slings.  Maybe a wool sleepsack for winter.  I love that my SIL has the fabric business.  I have a ton of cute (and mostly organic) fabrics to start using, and I'm far too broke to afford an organic wardrobe any other way. 

I have no idea when I'm going to feel good enough to start, though.  I wasn't planning on feeling so sick!  I also was on bedrest for a few months which each of my previous pregnancies, so I need to get everything done as fast as I can before that happens again.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#9 of 32 Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM

You guys are super impressive.  I have been reading, looking at peoples suggested patterns from the other crafteing thread.

I am going to try and knit a few diaper covers and sew some like the disana wool ones from felted wool sweaters. I am not exactly sure how to figure out the sizing yet but i might pull out some of our old ones to try and figure it out.

One of the problems I have is we are tight on money and I find that it is more expensive to buy fabric and yarn than it is sometimes to buy the thing especailly if you can get it used.  Do you guys have any special places you get materials? Jessica thats super awsome that your SIL has a fabric business. 

Mamabelly.gif to DS (3 years)biggrinbounce.gifjumpers.gifflowersforyou.gifchicken3.gifbroc1.gif
#10 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM

Anyone see any good baby craft blogs?  It is my first, so I am still collecting ideas.  One I like is http://craftygemini.blogspot.com.

#11 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbold View Post

One of the problems I have is we are tight on money and I find that it is more expensive to buy fabric and yarn than it is sometimes to buy the thing especailly if you can get it used.  Do you guys have any special places you get materials? Jessica thats super awsome that your SIL has a fabric business. 

Crafting your own is usually more expensive than buying new, unless you're recycling materials or buying only clearance supplies.  I would never be able to afford to make all I want to make if I didn't have the family discount.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by wemamom View Post

Anyone see any good baby craft blogs?  It is my first, so I am still collecting ideas.  One I like is http://craftygemini.blogspot.com.

Thanks for the link.  I'm off to check it out.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#12 of 32 Old 01-29-2011, 09:39 PM

Quote:

I'm on a non-exsistant budget currently, but for certain things it is way cheaper for me to make them then to buy. My best place to score fabric is Goodwill or other Thrift store. I can find wool sweaters in the men's department that can make 2 or 3 longies for a couple of dollars. The men's t-shirt section is a great place to get fabric for diapers and such. Also getting the 50% coupons for Joannes makes their flannel pretty cheap (although look for flannel blankets at Goodwill!) Knitpicks is great for cheap yarn too!

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#13 of 32 Old 01-30-2011, 05:29 AM

I buy fabric from big buying groups in the US, then have it shipped to me in HUGE boxes a few times a year. We live in Canada, but just over the border, so my DH pops over to a shipping depot in the US to pick it all up. It's a long process, but it works for me. I can buy a yard of knit fabric (like teeshirts) for under 5$ most times. I can get one long sleeve shirt for me from that, or 3-5 baby items. I can't buy stuff that cheap! At least not quality stuff.

The thing with hand crafted items, is that the quality can be much higher than discount priced items, so it's important to compare it to the same level. I might not always make everything as cheap as those big chain discount stores, but it's much much higher quality, so I don't ever compare it to discount stuff. I compare it to boutique level children's wear, and I'm coming out WAY ahead!

I very rarely buy fabric at local stores, and if I do, I never buy at full price! I recently splurged on some fabric which was 24$/meter, but got it with a 50% off coupon. By the time I'm done with the cut I bought, I will have made myself some cropped yoga pants (maternity), my son some summer shorts & possibly a hoodie, and some pants for the baby. I could rarely find all those items for the total price I paid for the fabric.

You can save BIG, if you are smart, take your time, and build a little stash of fabric (buying last minute for a project rarely allows for smart buying). You can often find nearly new jersey sheets at thrift stores .. those are the tee-shirt like sheets... they make great baby gowns, diapers, nursing night gowns, little hats etc. And sheets are really BIG, so you can make lots of things. You can buy old leather coats & make baby soft shoes. Wool sweaters make great diaper covers, and mittens! Shopping the mens XL aisle gives you more 'fabric' to work with! If you don't have patterns, you can take a worn out items, cut teh seams open and use it to draft your new pattern on newspaper ... just add 1/2" all around for seam allowances :)

If you want to buy new, just go to a big online store like fabric.com and look in the clearance section, often there is fabric 3$/yd. You can get a lot of little baby clothes out of not much fabric. The other great thing about baby clothes, is that if you're still new to sewing (or new to sewing with knit fabric), they outgrow things really fast, so if you mess up, don't worry. Just let them wear it, and do better on the next size up!

I just made 70% of baby's NB layette yesterday, and hope to finish the rest today. Once it's done, I'll post a picture :)

~SynEpona~
#14 of 32 Old 01-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Do you have a Jo-Ann Fabrics nearby? Several times a year they mark their entire clearance section an additional 50% off. I have founds lot of really cute cotton knits that way for around $2 or $3 a yard. Also, you could also check out Hancock Fabrics if you have one, because if I recall, they have a pretty good selection of flat fold knits for decent prices. I have such a massive stash at this point, I am hoping to not have to buy much, but use what I have!

#15 of 32 Old 01-30-2011, 05:58 AM

SynEpona- Wow! 70%! That is fantastic! I can't wait to see pictures!

#16 of 32 Old 02-02-2011, 07:05 AM

I just can't seem to get started.  I got my husband to bring the sewing mashine down stairs.  I got lots of the felted sweaters I have out but I just can't get started.  This happened last time I was pregnant too.  I was knitting a bunch of baby stuff before I got pregnant but as soon as I got pregnant I just couldn't stand the idea of knitting.  I hardly made anything the whole pregnancy.  I don't want to waste this time, there are things that we are going to need and there is no way I will be making things after the baby comes.  Its hard enough with my 3 year old wanting to put the sewing mashine foot up and down and push the petal for me. 

Mamabelly.gif to DS (3 years)biggrinbounce.gifjumpers.gifflowersforyou.gifchicken3.gifbroc1.gif
#17 of 32 Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 AM

I can't seem to get started, either.  I keep blaming it on the fact that my Kwik Sew pattern tracing fabric stuff (good description, huh?!) is at my mom's house.  Really, I could start at least a few things like receiving blankets but I'm just not motivated.  I did go buy a bunch of yarn for my mom to start knitting things with!  Isn't that nice of me?  Here Mom, get to work!  Truthfully, she offered, but I do feel bad that she's working hard and I'm still being lazy.  I did get some of my cute fabics ready.  I pulled out everything that seemed gender neutral enough that I wouldn't mind putting it on a girl if that's what we end up with.  I can't wait to sew something with my iced giraffes fabric.  (I bought it from my SIL but I won't link to her page in case that gets me in trouble.  Though she is an advertising member here now, so maybe it is ok?  The link is to a diaper made with the same print on PUL.)

#18 of 32 Old 02-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Thank you all for the ideas! I love crafting, but have never done any baby/maternity related crafting at all, and had no idea where to start, or where to get inspiration. You guys rock! DH used to have a screen printing shop and we still have TONS of blank t-shirts left over, I am totally turning them into skirts!

#19 of 32 Old 02-02-2011, 09:18 AM

Holy crap.

I feel like the laziest, most unmotivated person in the world!

My to do list?  Get through the day!! 

I wish I could sew.  I have a sewing machine (still in the box).  I would LOVE to make cloth diapers.  I also wish I could knit so that I could make some longies!!  So there's my wish list. :)

#20 of 32 Old 02-03-2011, 05:42 AM

How many 0-3 month onesies do you think I need?  It has been so long since I had a baby in the house that I cannot remember how fast they grow or how many onesies I'll go though in a day!  I'm actually thinking of making many of them t-shirts instead of snapping onesies since we use a lot of wool covers.  I'm planning on making all of them since I can get organic cotton/bamboo for such a good price and it is so incredibly soft compared to the onesies I see in the stores. 

And I'm making almost everything gender neutral in case we have another surprise in the future!  nut.gif 

You know what, while I'm at it, how many of all of the following do you think is a good number to have on hand?

0-3 onesies or t-shirts

0-3 pants or one-piece outfits

0-3 sleep gowns

burp cloths

receiving blankets

crib sheets (we'll sidecar a crib)

bath towels

Thanks!

ETA another question:  Does anyone have a pair of 0-3 and 3-6 month pants handy?  Could you tell me the basic finished dimensions for length and waist width?  I'm cutting out some of these Basic Newborn Pants from made by RAE and I think I want to make more in larger sizes.  I don't have any 0-3 or 3-6 month clothes yet to measure and get an idea of how much to increase the pattern.  Or maybe I should just pull out an Ottobre pattern and figure it out myself.  I don't know why I didn't think of that before posting this. 

#21 of 32 Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

Wow am I exhausted!  I've been doing so little lately and today I went wild and printed and cut out a couple of patterns.  Then I cut out an entire outfit: a short-sleeve kimono, the Basic Newborn Pants from made by RAE that I posted the link to in my previous post, shoes to match the kimono, and a receiving blanket that does't match the rest of the set.  I started drafting a pattern for a swaddling blanket similar to a Miracle Blanket (does anyone have one?  I would love some basic measurements to I know if I'm making it anywhere near the right size!) and spent some time going through my Ottobre books to see what patterns I want to use.  I need to get my Kwik Trace from Mom's house before I get those patterns traced and cut out, though.  Anyway, the only other thing I have done today is homeschooling.  Those two tasks completely wore me out, and I haven't even started sewing yet! 

#22 of 32 Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM

I finally got started yesterday. Yay! I made a recycled wool diaper cover.  Finished the wool skirts for my neices and fixed my son's pigama's that have been getting a bigger and bigger hole in the crotch.  I also started cutting squares for a wool quilt that would like to make.  I looked up patterns for fitted diaper, which I am not totally sure I will make.  I don't mind prefolds and DH prefers them.  I would like to make some pull ups for ECing ease and I looked up a pattern for a Mei tai.  I made myself one for DS and then lost it less than a week later in Ikea. greensad.gif  I loved it because it had super thick straps but they where not long enough, so this time I can remedy that.  I don't know what fabric to use though.  

I got to keep it up though.

#23 of 32 Old 02-04-2011, 06:34 PM

How did the recycled wool cover turn out, bumbold?  I tried to make some when my 5-yea-old was a baby and I had the worst time sewing the wool on my machine. 

I went to JoAnn's today to buy Gutermann thread, which is on sale this week.  While I was there I found two Boppy-style nursing pillows clearanced for $10 each.  I'm going to make some covers for them with fabric I already have.  So for basically $20 I'll have two nursing pillows, one for downstairs and one for upstairs until nursing while lying down is established.  Then one for me and one for Marc.  As well as holding baby, he likes to use his to support his arms while playing video games!  lol.gif  We kept the Boppy we had from when Nate was an infant for years for that use, until it finally got puked on by a sick child and the smell wouldn't wash out. 

I picked up more cute fabric that I had at my Mom's today.  I have Dotty Owls, baby blue bamboo/organic cotton velour, natural bamboo/organic cotton velour (for the newborn/small dipes I need to start making), bamboo/organic light green jersey, weiner dogs on cotton interlock, and something else I'm not remembering.  I can't wait to get more projects done! 

#24 of 32 Old 02-04-2011, 10:28 PM

I didn't have a problem with the wool in the machine but it really depends on the sweater.  One I felted was so thick there was no way to sew it.  I used the turtle neck as the really thick waist band sewed the sides and bottom.  Then I cut the cuffs off another sweater and sewed them in the leg holes.  It was a bit bigger than I meant it to be but have a nice bright blue sweater that I want to make a smaller one with.   You should try out the sweater thing.  It is really easy to just wing it and make some really nice stuff no pattern, no finishing the edges.  I have been making some cashmere one piece pajama's they are sooo soft and cute.

I love the fabrics you have, they are super cute. 

#25 of 32 Old 02-05-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Where are you getting your fabrics from jessica?

And way to go for the progress!

I managed to buy some new serger cones at Joann's yesterday, and I'm going back tomorrow to use up two $5 off $5 purchase tomorrow.  Thinking about getting some knits.

I have my inspirations going, but I don't want to start until I know what we're having.  I'm SO sick of girly stuff that I really want to avoid it if possible. :)  I do have a bunch of tshirts to convert to nb gowns for SIL, sister and bff.  But I had late onset night sickness (9 weeks..that was just evil) so it'll have to wait a few weeks.

#26 of 32 Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM

Wow, I'm so impressed by all the crafting! I don't sew very well, but I plan on knitting some soakers, socks and sweaters/shirts for the babe.  I also really want to try making soakers out of old wool sweaters!  I probably won't start until later in the pregnancy, cuz I'm a slacker like that! winky.gif

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#27 of 32 Old 02-05-2011, 03:10 PM

For those who knit, did you take a class?  I am not a 'do it yourself' type girl.  I cannot look at a book and just pick something up!  I would LOVE to knit soakers/longies - I'd save hundreds!

#28 of 32 Old 02-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

For those who knit, did you take a class?  I am not a 'do it yourself' type girl.  I cannot look at a book and just pick something up!  I would LOVE to knit soakers/longies - I'd save hundreds!

I learned to knit on knittinghelp.com lots of videos for someone like me who is a visual learner!

Dawn, mama to D (3.06) & N (9.07) C (11.09) & Still-in-shock surprise due in Aug!
#29 of 32 Old 02-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Jill, my SIL owns an online fabric store.  I get a family discount, or I would never be able to afford so much organic fabric! 

I'm jealous of the knitters.  I have to have my mom do anything that requires knitting, I just don't have the attention span to count stitches. 

I got a bunch more stuff cut out today.  Marc and I didn't buy Christmas gifts for each other, but decided we would do something special for Valentine's Day.  I asked if I could buy a serger for my gift and he said "Of course!"  So I'm getting a serger!  Woohoo!  I'm not going to start most of the sewing until it arrives. 

We see my SIL tomorrow for my MIL's birthday party.  She's bringing me a snap press to borrow and 4 yards of really pretty black and white bamboo flannel.  I can't decide what I want to make with it.  Probably a receiving blanket, but that won't use up much of the 4yds.  Any ideas?

#30 of 32 Old 02-05-2011, 04:25 PM

I love knittinghelp.com, that is how I learn any new stich.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page