How much weight have you gained? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree... I was very thin. I have curves on my hips that I love.... My hubby thinks I look great! I told the doctor that I was very thin before and he said that I was very thin but that was healthy. I am definetly not going to go as extreme as he wants me to but I want to eat healthier and start an exercise program and make sure that I do not accidently over due exercise or under eat.

I'm going to re-read the exercise thread and am open to advice and suggestions.

I just wish my husband was not standing there when the doctor spoke to me about the eating thing. I got a mini lecture after the appointment about savoring my food and not just mindlessly eating dessert while watching American Idol....

I miss my rocky road ice cream already....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 11:50 AM

No medical problems so I am not listening to the 20 lb reccomendation. Thank you! I feel better.
#123 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post

Since this is a perinatologist, not a regular OB, it makes me wonder if it's something about your health situation that is motivating the recommendation.  Either that or he's 80 and is WAY behind the times.

No health concerns.... he said that I should only gain 20 pound to prevent future obesity and diabetes in my children. It does sound pretty old school. My regular OB has never said anything so at least that will be the last time that comes up. In fact, I think she would be really concerned if I only gained 5 more pounds.
#124 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 12:44 PM

Um are you kidding me?!  That dr sounds like a idiot.  Is he 80 years old?  Maybe it's time for him to retire.  It's important to exercise, but I don't think you need to exercise every day.  And I also don't think you need to stop eating your Rocky Road!!  This irrationally infuriates me.  And I don't know what I would have done if my husband told me to start savoring my foods.  He would have probably had to savor my foot in his mouth. I think you sound perfectly healthy!

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#125 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

Um are you kidding me?!  That dr sounds like a idiot.  Is he 80 years old?  Maybe it's time for him to retire.  It's important to exercise, but I don't think you need to exercise every day.  And I also don't think you need to stop eating your Rocky Road!!  This irrationally infuriates me.  And I don't know what I would have done if my husband told me to start savoring my foods.  He would have probably had to savor my foot in his mouth. I think you sound perfectly healthy!

That made me really happy ;)

I needed that! :D

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#126 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 01:09 PM

I'd definitely go on the side of other posters, and agree that you were thin enough to begin with that I wouldn't worry.  :)  But exercising every day (or, as I usually do, six days a week), though not necessary, doesn't have to be intense or hard or unpleasant. A gentle walk, or prenatal yoga, for thirty minutes make me feel much better, and alternate well with half-hour or hour-long prenatal strength routines.  For me, alternating activities, and doing it gently, is much more comfortable and beneficial than not exercising.  If he said an hour a day, though (or told you to do intense exercise for half that time), I'd say - yes, kind of crazy!  (Except, even then, I find an hour's walk or an hour's prenatal yoga feel very good, now that I'm past the extreme fatigue.)

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#127 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

That made me really happy wink1.gif

I needed that! :D

Me too! I'm going to go eat some chocolate now....eat.gif
#128 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 01:32 PM

I have gained about 8 lbs now at 17 weeks. Pre-pregnancy I was 105ish, and now I am 113. I don't remember what my weight gain was like before, but I gained about 25-30 lbs last time.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#129 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 01:38 PM

I'm just shy of 5'3" and also started at 140 (145 by my first drs visit) and I was given the 15-25 pound range because my BMI was just in the overweight area by the nurse.  Then at my next visit, the midwife said 25-35 was a fine gain.  I drives me nuts when I read about doctors who give bad advice!  I'm with all the other PP's....enjoy the ice cream - it's got calcium wink1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvymom View Post

I agree... I was very thin. I have curves on my hips that I love.... My hubby thinks I look great! I told the doctor that I was very thin before and he said that I was very thin but that was healthy. I am definetly not going to go as extreme as he wants me to but I want to eat healthier and start an exercise program and make sure that I do not accidently over due exercise or under eat.

I'm going to re-read the exercise thread and am open to advice and suggestions.

I just wish my husband was not standing there when the doctor spoke to me about the eating thing. I got a mini lecture after the appointment about savoring my food and not just mindlessly eating dessert while watching American Idol....

I miss my rocky road ice cream already....

First Time Mom to Jonah Brian - born 7/21/11!  100% natural hospital birth.  EDD August 5th.  Married to James Lee on 2/29/08.  joy.gif

#130 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post

I'd definitely go on the side of other posters, and agree that you were thin enough to begin with that I wouldn't worry.  :)  But exercising every day (or, as I usually do, six days a week), though not necessary, doesn't have to be intense or hard or unpleasant. A gentle walk, or prenatal yoga, for thirty minutes make me feel much better, and alternate well with half-hour or hour-long prenatal strength routines.  For me, alternating activities, and doing it gently, is much more comfortable and beneficial than not exercising.  If he said an hour a day, though (or told you to do intense exercise for half that time), I'd say - yes, kind of crazy!  (Except, even then, I find an hour's walk or an hour's prenatal yoga feel very good, now that I'm past the extreme fatigue.)

Thanks and I appreciate the suggestions. He told me to exercise for 30 minutes a day to the point of sweating. Said my heart rate should be at 140. Again, I don't exercise so I don't know how intense that may or may not be. I just don't think now is the time for me to go from zero exercise to 7 days a week. I do not want to lose weight.
#131 of 530 Old 03-18-2011, 01:42 PM

No, of course not!  I will say, these suggestions really shouldn't get you into that heart rate range: so they might be a good compromise, even fewer days per week; and for me, at least, really ease discomfort.  

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#132 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

I'm up 13 lbs at 20 wks.  So far, so good I guess.

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#133 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 05:03 AM

I've heard if you really want to keep the babies weight down, eat low carb during pregnacy and make sure to excercise.
#134 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 05:47 AM

17 lbs @ 19 wks. It is slowing down, thank goodness. I started out midway between normal and overweight for my height. I wanted to only gain 20 lbs this pregnancy, but my body seems to have different plans.

Low carb & exercise did not work for me. I did both with ds, and he was 9lb 4oz. I just make big 'ol babies I guess! wink1.gif

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#135 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 AM

I could never manage to do low carb during pregnancy.  I do not eat a high diet in protein in the least and I also need carbs to survive in general but also the severe nausea.  And exercise,well....housework is about all I'm doing these days.  I would love to get back to walking.  It is awful - once I start down the trail I get a cramp in my side, feel like I'm going to puke, and then I have to pee again!

#136 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My normal weight is 117-120. I started this pregnancy out at 109, went down to 108 and at 17 weeks was up to 120. I've been trying to gain weight, though, as I truly feel 109 is underweight for me. So at 17 weeks, I'm finally up to my normal weight. I am exercising, but not everyday. I would exercise nearly everyday if I could, though. I really enjoy it, as it helps to keep my stress level down.

With my son, I started out at 120 and gained 40 pounds. My son was 9 lb 14.5 oz. By 6 months postpartum I was below my prepregnancy weight, but I attribute that to a great deal of stress.

#137 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM

Well, my husband just looked at me and just said "you already know how much you gain in pregnancy, so leave it alone, it is what it is".  eyesroll.gif  I hope he's there to tell the doctor that.

#138 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 09:24 AM

I don't actually remember how much I weighed when I got pregnant, but I've gained 10 lbs between my first appt (13 weeks) and now (20 weeks). My midwives haven't said anything about my weight directly, but they did ask me if I was interested in seeing a nutritionist. I'm sure it was because I'm overweight, but I wasn't offended or anything. I think I'm supposed to meet with them once to get a cookbook and some meal plans, and then follow up weekly over the phone to see how I'm doing. I'll take any help that I can get because I've been slacking off with healthy eating lately.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#139 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 AM

Savvymom, I just have to add, along with everyone else that it is nonsense to only gain 5lb in the second part of your pregnancy. You will gain what your body needs to gain IF you eat a good balanced diet (and ice-cream has protein & calcium, so you can tell DH that next time you want some) and get some moderate exercise. Since you don't do anything at the moment I'd suggest starting with 2 days a week for maybe 30 min, of walking, prenatal pilates/yoga or some other gentler exercise, then as you get used to the routine build up more days, but you probably don't need more than 3 or 4 days to get all the benefit. I'd also caution about getting your heart rate up too high to begin with as it will be too big a strain on your body and as a result could cut down the amount of oxygen you take in. You really need to start slowly and build it up over several weeks.

I'm short and overweight, but  I am focused on eating well for pregnancy. I use the Brewer's Diet as my guidelines, although I struggle to eat everything they suggest. The main focus is dairy products and lots of protein. Last time I ate a little too many carbs and my total gain when DS was born was 46lb. I was gaining about 1lb a week until the last few weeks, when I cut down on what I ate because I was always full so started retaining fluids and the weight just piled on then, but in the first two weeks postpartum I lost 40lb, so it really was mostly just the baby etc and being pregnant. This time I'm super focused on protein and not craving the carbs anywhere as much and I'm pretty much maintaining my weight for now. I do expect to start seeing more weight gain in the second half, and know I'll gain whatever I need to for this baby. I'm so fortunate that my midwife is more focused on encouraging a healthy diet and moderate exercise than on numbers on the scale. That is why she isn't concerned by a lack of weight gain either. She trusts me that my body will do what it needs to as long as I eat well and get moderate exercise. I do prenatal pilates about 3 times a week most weeks and usually go walking a few times a week too, but nothing too fast as it is hot here in Florida and I don't want to overheat as that is bad for the baby too.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#140 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 11:51 AM

I agree with Lyn about the exercise.  Start with a couple days a week, and then in a couple weeks add a day and so on and so on.  30 minutes is a great amount, and a brisk walk is great.  I went from running 5 days/wk for 30 mins to walking 5 days/wk for 30 mins - but I had been running for a couple of years so 5 days a week seems fine to me.  7 seems like overkill (everyone needs a day of rest!!).  And yoga is always great for a warm up.  It doesn't even have to be prenatal yoga.  I do a gentle yoga routine that isn't designed for preggos, I just don't push the positions that are uncomfortable. 

And I'm glad you ate chocolate Savvy.  When my husband got home last night from work I get angry all over again telling him the story and I was like "I REALLY hope she eats her Rocky Road tonight!"

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#141 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM

I am 5'4" was 160lbs right before I got preggers, got hit with nausea really bad, and food aversions to nearly everything. Thankfully that let up about week 11 but I lost 10lbs. I'm at about 153.5lbs now at almost week 19. I went up slowly though and I'm trying to keep doing that. we've been eating lots of fruits and veggies, and still having issues with some carbs and proteins but making myself eat it as I can. dairy and fruit has been the biggest thing that has tasted good and I've wanted it so I've been eating it.

I've been purchasing nut mixes and such to try to get some extra protein as well as eggs (scrambled or boiled). I'm supposed to gain 25-35 lbs broken up to 1/2-1lb a week. I'm getting there. Though getting the extra calories is hard for me as I don't tend to eat unless I'm hungry and so I don't really snack much.

Recently baby decided salad was a no-no. I'm going to try changing dressings and see if that helps. I don't think the balsalmic vinegerette sat well with my stomach. I've had to cook with olive oil to get my fat because anything else is icky.

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#142 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinbopbop View Post

I am 5'4" was 160lbs right before I got preggers, got hit with nausea really bad, and food aversions to nearly everything. Thankfully that let up about week 11 but I lost 10lbs. I'm at about 153.5lbs now at almost week 19. I went up slowly though and I'm trying to keep doing that. we've been eating lots of fruits and veggies, and still having issues with some carbs and proteins but making myself eat it as I can. dairy and fruit has been the biggest thing that has tasted good and I've wanted it so I've been eating it.

I've been purchasing nut mixes and such to try to get some extra protein as well as eggs (scrambled or boiled). I'm supposed to gain 25-35 lbs broken up to 1/2-1lb a week. I'm getting there. Though getting the extra calories is hard for me as I don't tend to eat unless I'm hungry and so I don't really snack much.

Recently baby decided salad was a no-no. I'm going to try changing dressings and see if that helps. I don't think the balsalmic vinegerette sat well with my stomach. I've had to cook with olive oil to get my fat because anything else is icky.

Me too! I only eat when hungry and I've never been much for snacking. Also me too on the salad thing. No veg seems welcome in this body so far. :P

Becky

Married to Dusty

#143 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 06:12 PM

20 weeks, 4 days: 12 pounds. Was hoping to gained my bulk at the end. Looks like I'll gain over 35. 

Tracy, mama to Mia Elizabethhearts.gif10~4~06 and Baby Ava Elise baby.gif 8~6~11

#144 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I started this pregnancy at 5'6", 145 pounds.  That's 15 pounds heavier than when I started my last pregnancy, but I was in the best shape of my adult life, *shrug*.   I'm 21 weeks, and I've gained 10 pounds.  I feel like I've gained 30!  My appetite has picked up in a big way, but healthy stuff sounds way better than it did in the first tri, so I just go with what my body is telling me.  I'm really hoping I can find my groove to get walking regularly.  I was running several times/week until about week 12 when the fatigue just kicked my butt and I've not been able to get back on track :(  Oh well.  My body will do what it needs to do and I've always had good eating habits, so I'm not going to worry about it :)

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#145 of 530 Old 03-19-2011, 10:50 PM

The scale has shot up 3 lbs in the past two day- even though I haven't really been eating any differently.

So now at 19 wks and 3 days I've gained 11 lbs.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#146 of 530 Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

The scale has shot up 3 lbs in the past two day- even though I haven't really been eating any differently.

So now at 19 wks and 3 days I've gained 11 lbs.

that happened to me a few weeks ago.  I thought I just had to poo, but the 3 lbs stayed around!  Haha!

Ok, I'll play.  I started this pregnancy at 139 and currently at 19 weeks weigh 152.6.  So, that's 13.6 lbs total so far.  For the past 2-3 weeks I've been steadily gaining exactly 1 lb a week, so I think I'm probably going to continue that way throughout the rest of this pregnancy.  I'm most likely (as long as nothing crazy happens and I stay mostly on the same path) looking at a 35-40 lb gain.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#147 of 530 Old 03-21-2011, 12:59 PM

At my 20 week visit I was up 19 lbs.  Started at 140....had a few extra pounds pre-pregnancy from an accident and being immobilized for weeks with no exercise.  BLEH!

I was mortified that I had gained 11lbs in a month.  I thought something must be seriously wrong.  I was on the 4lb a month path and was pretty happy with that.  My eating habits hadn't really changed that much.  If anything I was eating less and healthier.

Now the TMI part:  I've had 2nd trimester constipation like nobody's business.  It got to the point where it actually hurt to sit down from all the pressure in my intestines.  Well needless to say I took the biggest poo of my life.  I can't say if ever felt so good to go the bathroom.  My whole demeanor changed.  Anyhoo....after said poo, I was down to 154.  Not only did my body feel better but so did my brain.

I'm 21w 4days and still hanging around 155 so I'm ok with that.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#148 of 530 Old 03-21-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

At my 20 week visit I was up 19 lbs.  Started at 140....had a few extra pounds pre-pregnancy from an accident and being immobilized for weeks with no exercise.  BLEH!

I was mortified that I had gained 11lbs in a month.  I thought something must be seriously wrong.  I was on the 4lb a month path and was pretty happy with that.  My eating habits hadn't really changed that much.  If anything I was eating less and healthier.

Now the TMI part:  I've had 2nd trimester constipation like nobody's business.  It got to the point where it actually hurt to sit down from all the pressure in my intestines.  Well needless to say I took the biggest poo of my life.  I can't say if ever felt so good to go the bathroom.  My whole demeanor changed.  Anyhoo....after said poo, I was down to 154.  Not only did my body feel better but so did my brain.

Yay!! :D  Something like that deserves a celebration, I say! Congratulations and I hope you stay clear from here out ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty

#149 of 530 Old 03-22-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

I agree, congratulations are in order on your poo baby!  Damn, the most I ever lost after a poo was close to 2 lbs!  I cant imagine how uncomfortable you must have felt!  I hope things stay moving for you!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#150 of 530 Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM

20 weeks today, and I'm up 2 lbs. It feels like WAY more then that, my clothes are getting tighter everywhere!

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page