How much weight have you gained? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 530 Old 02-03-2011, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just curious...how much weight have you gained so far?  How many weeks are you?  If this isn't your first, how many did you gain in your previous pregnancies?

I initially lost some weight, but then put on about 2-3 lbs in my first 11 or so weeks.  I swear I've put on another 3-4 lbs in the last 2-3 wks.  I don't weigh that often, but I saw a high number this morning.  Hope that means good things for the bean, though I'd prefer not to gain it so fast.  Anyway...

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 530 Old 02-03-2011, 08:18 PM

I will be 14 weeks on Saturday! I have lost two pounds. Definite body changes, though, none of my pants fit - even some of my exercise pants are too tight.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 530 Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I'm 14w3d and I've already gained 12lbs!

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#4 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 12:30 AM

I'm 14+4 and have gained about 10 pounds.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#5 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 03:18 AM

TWELVE freaking lbs at 14 plus 4.  Two of those lbs came in the past two days, so I don't think they should be official yet.  Maybe just due to uh.....not going to the bathroom!

With number one I ate pretty much anything, didn't count calories, wasn't a vegetarian, but was fairly active.  Gained around 60 lbs. 

With number two I started out 20 lbs thinner than number 1.  Watched everything I ate, wasn't very active due to severe m/s, Gained 50 lbs. 

With this one, I started out 10 lbs overweight (which is a first for me, about 10 lbs over my first pg weight starting point) and you can see I've already put on too much.  My goal is to start walking as soon as I can.  The weight gain is most certainly a combo of eating more than my body is used to (I'm counting calories, but eating about 300 over maintenance which is too much for me), not moving, and loads of carbs to help with sickness!

#6 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 05:46 AM

10 lbs @ 12 (or 13?) weeks. Midwife acted like that was a perfect gain. But everything I read said no more than 5 lbs in the 1st trimester. Oh well. Trying not to stress about it too much. I am counting my calories and trying to be mindful of what I am eating, Definitely need to find a way to go some exercise. It is just so hard when I am still dealing with the exhaustion.

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#7 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 05:47 AM

I had an appointment with my MW on Tuesday and had gained 4 pounds.  I was 14w 5d at that point.  With my first pregnancy starting about now I gained about 4 pounds every month for a total of 29 pounds when DD was born (I think I gained a little more the last month :-)  ),  

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#8 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

At least 10 lbs, I'm thinking over 12 though, maybe 15. I don't weigh myself during pg obviously! Since I got pg before I thought I had by the time I found out, I had packed on 6 lbs in those few weeks. I think this is the most I ever gained this early. Some of my smallest maternity pants already do not fit and not in the belly either. The only pg I did weigh myself for was DD1, and with her I didn't gain anything until 20 weeks and then went on to gain 19 lbs. It has been downhill from there! I think I gained 35 or so with DD2, it was certainly over 40 with DS. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 07:57 AM

At 12w3d I've gained 4lbs. Sometimes its 3 depending if I just used the potty, lol.

This is baby #2 for me. With DD by this time I had gained more like 8 lbs. Over all with that pg, I gained 62 lbs.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 08:17 AM

I initially lost 10 lbs, and have gained back 4 lbs at 13 weeks in spite of hyperemesis!  Very proud of myself! :-)

#11 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 08:28 AM

So far I have lost a few pounds. I am 12weeks 0days. This is my second pregnancy and at this point last time I had gained three pounds. I then went on to gain a total of 50lbs. I really can't do that this time because I am starting out at about ten pounds from where I gave birth. Hopefully I'll be able to start exercising soon.

#12 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM

I am 13w today and have lost 9lbs and gained 5 back.  I am excited with my first I didn't start gaining till after the first trimester was over.  With DS I lost 10 and eventually gained 60.  I never found it hard to loose since I nursed a long time and we spent time figuring out food allergies.  I started out a little under weight so have a bit to gain, last time I think I tried too hard to gain it because I was so worried about having lost 10 lbs but gaining weight while pregnant was easier than I thought it would be.  I like the idea of not checking but I think the midwives where a bit worried when they showed up and I was so weak and skinny from the morning sickness. 

I have to work on the excersise part this time.  With a 3 year old running around I don't have as much time to recover after the birth, though I hope that doesn't make it hard to gain enough.  In a lot of ways it was really great to have that reserve after my DS birth since he nursed all the time and was us to 20 lbs by the time he was 4 months old.  I couldn't eat enough to keep up with that.

Mamabelly.gif to DS (3 years)biggrinbounce.gifjumpers.gifflowersforyou.gifchicken3.gifbroc1.gif
#13 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds like I'm right where I should be then.  Phew!  :)

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#14 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM

12wks2days and the last time I weighed I had gained about 4 lbs. At this point with my first I'm not sure how much I had gained, but I think it was more.

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#15 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 AM

I've gained about 8 overal but it fluctuated alot.

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#16 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 10:34 AM

I'm 11 weeks, and I've gained about 3-5 lbs depending on the time of day. lol. With my past pregnancies I gained about 30, 20 and 20.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#17 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 11:25 AM

This is my first pregnancy, and I am at 14 weeks. I lost 5 lbs in the first month and and half, and then gained that back as soon as I went on zofran. Since then my weight has pretty much stayed right in the same 2-3 lb zone that it was before I was pregnant. So I guess all in all my weight has stayed the same, but things are definitely shifting around, I feel (and others have mentioned) that I have lost weight in other areas of my body (legs, booty and arms) but now my waist is obviously gone, and the belly is starting to pop out a little more, oh yeah, and not to mention the entire cup size I have gained in my bust! It's so weird because I have always put on weight in my butt and thighs, and had a small waist and now the opposite is happening.

All I can say is that I am so excited to actually look definitely pregnant. I have been a little embarrassed teaching yoga lately because I don't want the students who don't know I'm preg. yet to think I have a gut!

#18 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM

I am 14.3 week and I've gained about 5 pounds.  For a while there I wasn't gaining anything.

I am totally shifting my weight to my butt, though.  It's huge!  I'm even more of a pear-shape than ever.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#19 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

I'm 13w3d and down 3 lbs. I lost it in the first couple weeks and am still at that same weight.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#20 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:

All I can say is that I am so excited to actually look definitely pregnant. I have been a little embarrassed teaching yoga lately because I don't want the students who don't know I'm preg. yet to think I have a gut!

I hope you're just teaching low-key yoga... I worry about you doing inverted poses and crazy things like that, lol.  are you going to teach prenatal yoga?  I took a prenatal class when preg with DS, and it was my saving grace... simply MUST get back into it!!

As far as the weight goes, I've gained about 3 or 4 lbs I think, and will be 14 weeks tomorrow.  With DS I lost 7 lbs in the first tri, so I'm happy to report having gained some weight!

#21 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 02:14 PM

I'm almost 13 weeks and I haven't gained yet.  I was pretty horrified to find myself pregnant and 14 lbs overweight so I'm working hard to keep my gain slow and steady by working out regularly and getting in lots of yoga.  (Anyone up for a work out/healthy mamas thread?)

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#22 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I hope you're just teaching low-key yoga... I worry about you doing inverted poses and crazy things like that, lol.  are you going to teach prenatal yoga?  I took a prenatal class when preg with DS, and it was my saving grace... simply MUST get back into it!!

Yeah my class is pretty laid back, and it's mostly people over 40yo too, so definitely not a fancy yoga studio vibe :)  I don't do many of the poses while I'm teaching anyway, I usually just demonstrate briefly and then walk around the room to help people. I haven't been doing inversions or stuff on my tummy and will just use one of the more experienced students for a demo if I need to :)

I'm starting my prenatal classes in a few weeks, after we move and I am soooo excited, up until now I have been taking regular classes, but I'm looking forward to being around other mamas to be!

#23 of 530 Old 02-04-2011, 06:45 PM

At 13w5d I'm up about 8 lbs.  I gained 45 with my first and 35 with my second.  I gained about 4 lbs through 12w, and then packed on another 4 last week but no more this week.  headscratch.gif

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#24 of 530 Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Quote:

Yeah my class is pretty laid back, and it's mostly people over 40yo too, so definitely not a fancy yoga studio vibe :)  I don't do many of the poses while I'm teaching anyway, I usually just demonstrate briefly and then walk around the room to help people. I haven't been doing inversions or stuff on my tummy and will just use one of the more experienced students for a demo if I need to :)

I'm starting my prenatal classes in a few weeks, after we move and I am soooo excited, up until now I have been taking regular classes, but I'm looking forward to being around other mamas to be!

Oh phew!  And you're going to love your prenatal class-- it is a great way to meet other mamas (esp when you are a first time mom).  Its funny, but after DS was born, I tried to go back to a normal yoga class and it must have been the baby blues or something because I cried the whole way through the class.  prenatal was so special to me because it was something we did together-- I haven't been to a class since.  That's why I'm looking forward to getting back into prenatal yoga again, to bond with this little one!  Do post a thread when you start taking your classes.. maybe it will encourage other moms to go the same route.

#25 of 530 Old 02-07-2011, 06:34 AM

I am about 15 weeks and have gained 10-12 lbs so far.  I thought that was bad, but my OB said that as long as you haven't gained as many pounds as you have weeks, you're fine. 

But then he tried to educate me on healthy snacking and warned against too many carbs, even in things like oranges and bananas which I thought was a complete crock.  I'll snack on as many fruits as I want. 

Also, this is my first and I started out at a normal weight.  I'm in a size 6 maternity but within the next month I think I may be going to a size 8 mat jeans.  I'm hating tight clothes.

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#26 of 530 Old 02-07-2011, 01:56 PM

So far, I've gained 12 lbs. in what, tomorrow, will be 13 weeks.  If I weren't having twins, I might be disturbed by that.  But in this case, it's not just ravenousness - it's purposeful.  From reading Dr. Barbara Luke's recommendations, and some others, it has sounded like, with twins, the best chances for good birth weight, and a delivery at or near term (and so, probably, less hospitalization), comes when the mother gains a significant enough amount of weight, early enough to continue fueling their growth in the last trimester, when it's hard to keep up with their calorie needs, both because they're considerable, and because the babies are big enough, together, to compress the digestive system and make that level of intake difficult.  Lay down sufficient fat stores by six months, so they say, and their growth can continue uninterrupted.  Obviously, I'm no expert, but it sounds reasonable, and the support for it appears credible.  My doctor recommended a weight gain of 30 lbs, before she did the ultrasound and discovered twins.  If I follow Dr. Luke's low-end recommendation for twins, based on my height and weight, I'll gain 45.  That sounds appropriately scaled for a second child.  Slightly more would be okay.  But I am more worried about not gaining enough, or staring the second trimester needing to gain more than a pound a week to try to keep the little ones growing, than gaining too much.  I should be able to put on a total of 24 - 29 lbs. by 24 weeks, at this rate: which is (according to these recommendations) 'just right'.

It's daunting to gain so much, but, as my husband said - 'of course personal vanity matters more than the twins...!'  ;)

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#27 of 530 Old 02-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Just went to the doctor for my NT scan today.  I weighed in with a 7 lb gain at 12 weeks.  The doctor said "looks like you've finally gained some weight, so that's good!".  So, I assume it's not too much.  I'm glad that lately I've been craving healthier foods, too.  So, I think that things will be a little more under control.  I am all for gaining baby weight, but just don't want to go overboard. 

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
#28 of 530 Old 02-07-2011, 02:31 PM

I am 12 weeks and I have gained 8lbs.  I was struggling with being underweight, due to my meds, before I got pregnant.  The weight gain seems to have slowed, now that I am at a healthy weight.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#29 of 530 Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM

I'm 12w5d and am up 3.8 lbs, as of today's appointment.  I was really sick for the better part of January with a stomach bug, then the flu, then a mild case of pneumonia and ended up losing just over 6 lbs, so this is weight gained back and then some.  :)  My doctor was happy about it.  This is also my 3rd pregnancy.  My first, I gained 40 lbs in all.  Ugh!  I'm only 5'2", so a bit too much gain.  My 2nd, I gained 25 lbs, so that was better.  I'm hoping to be at that 25 lb mark for this one, too.

Wife to Bri, mom to G (8), R (6), I (5). Expecting #4 - 8.16.11
#30 of 530 Old 02-08-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

But then he tried to educate me on healthy snacking and warned against too many carbs, even in things like oranges and bananas which I thought was a complete crock.  I'll snack on as many fruits as I want. 

Also, this is my first and I started out at a normal weight.  I'm in a size 6 maternity but within the next month I think I may be going to a size 8 mat jeans.  I'm hating tight clothes.

Yeah, carbs. I've gained about 10 pounds (probably more by now actually) too and I'm pretty sure it's due to only wanting carbs... Fruit does have a lot of sugar but it's so full of fiber and water too that I really wouldn't blame it. Mainly for me I've eaten waaay more grains and sugar than I normally do and I'm pretty sure that's it.

I got size 6 mat jeans too but they are pretty tight now too. Sigh, I thought I would be able to wear the same jeans for 9 months! Didn't count on my thighs growing so much! lol.gif I am happy to be gaining weight though. We have so much trouble keeping stuff around to eat for some reason and I feel so hungry all the time that I'm just glad to be getting (more than) enough calories. Somehow gaining this weight makes me feel really wholesome or something.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page