How about a thread of "must haves"? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We did have a swing and a bouncy chair--DD liked both of them (they were both gifts--the swing in very old, but still works)  However, I would not have 'needed' them, but we did use them some.  

I was not a fan of onesies for DD she hated having them pulled over her head until she got older.  I really liked the side snap shirts and am planning on getting more for this babe.

I think my must haves are:

sling/wrap (I used a moby until DD was to big, made a sling, and another carrier.  We also have an Ergo now)

diapers (we did prefolds and covers)

some blankets (we had way more than we could possibly use)

If you work-- a pump

clothing for babe :)

Later on we got a high chair--we got the kind that attaches to a regular chair and is easily portable.

For a diaper bag we just use some Eagle creek cubes and a timbuktu bag that we already had in the house--works great!

Also, other mom's may have experienced this too.  DD wore newborn sized clothing for like 1 week (she was 8 lbs 1oz at birth), wore 0-3 month clothes for 6 weeks and 3-6 month clothes for the next 6 weeks and was into 6-9 clothes.  We had a ton of 0-3 months clothes and some 3-6 month clothes, but I would recommend not going crazy with those little sizes until you know how fast your babe grows. 

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#32 of 43 Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 AM

We were given more stuff than we used last time. I've passed on the stuff that really was surplus to us.

What we actually used and will reuse this time:

prefold diapers with one size covers (won't use snappi fasteners this time, I'm making tie-on diapers like the disana ones instead)

cloth wipes

1 pack of disposables for the first few days of meconium.

My Brest Friend nursing pillow (really helped us in the difficult early days of learning to latch properly)

cloth breast pads

nursing bras (I'm a big boobed girl [34h] so I really need the support)

something for swaddling (DS really liked being swaddled, we're just now weaning him off swaddling at 8 months)

a few clothes (they outgrow sizes so fast so won't stock up on too many of each size to start with)

bassinet (we also used our crib right from the beginning with DS, but he'll still be using it and we live in a smaller home now so no need for 2 places to sleep)

a few soft towels (for drying baby after a bath, and for changing diapers etc at home)

wrap sling (mine is home made and it is so useful in the early months)

car seat

baby seat (for those essential bathroom breaks/meal prep that using a sling isn't suitable for)

What we are adding this time:

electric double breast pump (we rented from the hospital for 10 days then I used a manual single pump, which was a pain to use)

Everything else is take it or leave it for us.

I do love my pram stroller and if you plan on using a stroller for a newborn make sure it fully reclines. (this however isn't an essential to us, just a nice to have)

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#33 of 43 Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Can you ladies help with crib/sleeping choices?  I'd like to keep the baby by our bed, but I am not married to a co-sleeper.  I'd also like a crib so we can move them to their bedroom when they get a little older.

I've seen recs for "Arms Reach" co-sleeper, but I've also heard that it's not necessary, and a basinette with wheels is better.  What about a pack'n'play with the basinett and changer?  That seems like it would be handy, since carrying the baby to his/her bedroom for changing in the middle of the night might be a pain.  Also, we don't have room for a glider or chair in our bedroom, so I may be nursing in the baby's room. 

Any thoughts or guidance?

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#34 of 43 Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM

We bought a crib and turned it into a cosleeper. http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/turn-your-crib-into-cosleeper.html

It has worked really well for us.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#35 of 43 Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Can you ladies help with crib/sleeping choices?  I'd like to keep the baby by our bed, but I am not married to a co-sleeper.  I'd also like a crib so we can move them to their bedroom when they get a little older.

I've seen recs for "Arms Reach" co-sleeper, but I've also heard that it's not necessary, and a basinette with wheels is better.  What about a pack'n'play with the basinett and changer?  That seems like it would be handy, since carrying the baby to his/her bedroom for changing in the middle of the night might be a pain.  Also, we don't have room for a glider or chair in our bedroom, so I may be nursing in the baby's room. 

Any thoughts or guidance?

My kids have all slept in pack n plays with the basinette on top. It ends up being flush with our bed so it works just like a cosleeper, and I am guilty of interchanging the terms! Then when they are older we drop the mattress to the bottom and then they move to their own bed from there. I attached the changing station the first time, but I never used it. I've always kept some waterproof lap pads on my nightstand and changed the baby in bed, or in their bed. I don't ever get out of bed to nurse either. Sometimes I sit up to do it, other times I side lie and just go back to sleep.

#36 of 43 Old 02-09-2011, 11:13 PM

I remember 7-8 years ago while we were expecting our first my husband and I had a note book of all these things that we felt we needed, we shopped and shopped and price searched and researched and we had a baby shower, and we budgeted for the things we felt were so special on our shoe string newly wed budget... it gives me goosebumps to remember all those wonderful pregnant walks we took just making all these plans, debating how to set up a nursery, it was wonderful, and I would not want to take that away from any parent, it was part of our birth bonding, it was wonderful and fun.....that being said... four months later 80% of that stuff was donated to the local thrift shop and we were loving our nitch we had found  and now expecting our fourth, we have strong opinions on having what we need to care for our babies, and no room or need for extra stuff... but again.. I am smiling ear to ear fondly remembering those pregnant days and nights researching all that 'stuff'   what we kept after baby number one- nursing pillow, sling/carrier, cloth diaper system, nursing tank tops (with baby number one we could not afford glamourmoms, they seemed soo pricey- but after nursing for how ever many years it was we changed our tune and now i live in glamourmoms exclusively)we got some nice ingredients to make our own baby butt washes, and STILL have those 7 years later- they dont go bad  ummm what else.... boobies and loving arms, you have what you need to parent your baby... but it certainly can be wonderfully fun 

#37 of 43 Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I am also a first timer, and the issue of "stuff" has been weighing on my mind so much lately. I am so overwhelmed with all the stuff available out there, I would really love to know what products other mamas really got use out of and what is just going to end up cluttering my house.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I'm so incredibly happy about this thread! I want to keep baby items minimal, but I also want to be sure I have everything I'll need. Thank you ladies so much!! Keep the advice coming, it's really helpful! 

- Rachel lady.gif

+ married to Red photosmile2.gif
+ mama to Brooklynn luxlove.gif (age 12)

+ mama to Alder femalesling.GIF born 08/10/11!

#38 of 43 Old 02-11-2011, 03:43 PM

I really like and still use the Bravado tanks and bras for nursing.  I have never used the Glamourmom's, but definitely think it is well worth spending the extra money for nursing bras that are comfortable and supportive!  

Maurine--we have an arms reach cosleeper (the full-size version that can turn into a pack-n-play if needed--never done this my DD would never have hung out in a pack-n-play).  We have used it some, but mostly it has acted as a storage compartment and a fence to keep DD from rolling out of the bed.  DD slept with us exclusively until she was 1 year old and then we bought a twin size mattress that is on the floor in her room.  We plan on making a short bed frame for it now that she is big enough to get in and out, but haven't yet.  Up until a year she napped in our bed, but I had to be extra diligent about checking on her if she made any sort of noise during a nap (so she didn't crawl around on the bed and fall off).  We never owned a crib and don't plan on getting one for this babe either.  We are planning on buying a kingsize bed and may invest in some side rails for it as we will probably have 2 little ones in our bed at least some of the time familybed2.gif.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#39 of 43 Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM

I am fairly convinced to sidecar a crib.  Thanks, everyone, for the insight!  I think that if we had a bassinette or an Arms Reach, LO would just end up in the bed anyway.  I don't want to have to get up, get him/her, back to bed to nurse, then back into the bassinette or co-sleeper when we're done...just too much.  And I always tend to do whatever is easiest physically.  :)  The sidecar idea seems like a nice little extention of the bed itself.

#40 of 43 Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM

I was thinking about doing the sidecar crib too, it seems like it will last much longer than the co-sleeper. And I just found this awesome website that shows you how to do it!

http://sidecarcrib.webs.com/

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#41 of 43 Old 02-14-2011, 03:23 PM

I'm a big fan of Bravado nursing bras and though they are pricey will probably buy 2 or 3 again.  I still have the ones from DD but eh, it's bras and they get worn and used, and a good one is really important!  I didn't like Glamourmom.  The tanks seemed to pill and fade very quickly and you wash those a lot b/w spit up and leaking bb's!

I thought I'd also throw in here a must have is a Nose Frida!  Those bulb syringes are AWFUL and babies usually hate them.  But I've had so much luck using the nosefrida that I wouldn't have a baby without one in the house!

http://www.nosefrida.com/

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#42 of 43 Old 02-15-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

http://www.nosefrida.com/

OMG that video on the front page is so funny (with the baby crawling towards the thing and giggling and laughing while it's used)!  Everyone should check it out!

#43 of 43 Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

OMG that video on the front page is so funny (with the baby crawling towards the thing and giggling and laughing while it's used)!  Everyone should check it out!

And now she must spend her days eternally sucking snot ;D Cutie baby!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page