How about a thread of "must haves"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are A LOT of baby items out there.  I thought it might be helpful if we started a list of "must haves" which will really help us first time mommies.  I would imagine it would help mommy veterans too with new ideas. 

So what did you have that you just loved?  My friend said she loved her Boppi for nursing.  Another said her Mobi sling is great.  Some say swings are great.  Others say the baby hated it.

Anyway, what were your best baby items/gifts?

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 AM

I actually prefer the My Brest Friend nursing pillow over the Boppy and I've used both.  But, yes, a nursing pillow is definitely a must have.

Also:

An electric double breast pump (I had low supply issues and had to pump several times a day in addition to regular BFing)

Moby wrap (for me)

Baby Bjorn (for DH)

Lansinoh lanolin nipple cream

Plenty of cloth diapers

Miracle Blanket swaddler

"The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding"

"The Happiest Baby on the Block"

Everything else certainly makes life easier, but I wouldn't call a "must-have".

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#3 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 09:34 AM

I always tell doula clients and friends who are expecting their first (and feeling panicky about all the 'stuff' they need) that new babies really don't need much at all.   Something to pee in (whether you're ECing or diapering), a car seat (if baby's going in the car), and some blankets.  So much of the other stuff just seems to find you, as friends and family love to give new parents things.  My AP friends and I always joke about how our cosleepers and cribs are just giant laundry holders.  twins.gif    From experience, I also recommend trying out an item (swings, bouncy seats, etc.) by borrowing it from a friend if you can, because some babies detest swings or other baby buckets, and they just clutter up your house if you're not using them.  

(Can you tell I'm kind of a minimalist?  The Lego and toys-with-pieces  invasion that's inevitable at about age 4 makes you want to get rid of things.  Ha!)

My personal cannot-live-without parenting thing is my Beco.  It's had three years of hard, daily use, but especially with the second baby it was just vital to have my hands free.  If you can find a beautiful sling or carrier that you love, you will use it more, and it will be worth every penny!  stillheart.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#4 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM

I agree about the nursing pillow with the dumbest name: it's better. My brest friend. It fits every belly, and it velcroes on so you can reach for the phone or a drink.

Everyone needs a baby monitor but audio is fine. And to make sure it's working, because you will be paranoid when you are, say, watching a movie while baby sleeps, you should get baby used to sleeping with some kind of sound in the bedroom, either beautiful music, or white noise. This will serve two purposes: you will be reassured that your monitor is functioning because you will hear the sounds on it, and the sounds will become part of baby's sleep routine and help him sleep when he's a toddler too. And it will keep things like dogs and gardeners from waking baby.

I would say for clothing you need a ton of onesies in all the possible sizes, for sure. That is the most important thing. I like soft cotton legging type things too for the legs. But our babies will be born in summer. Still, some people have cold a/c on. Babies sleep so often that you want them always in soft cotton all day and night. Except for a few photos In the cute gifted outfits. Lol.

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
#5 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 11:15 AM

I keep thinking to what I HAD to have in those first few weeks and most of it revolved around ME! 

Lanolin

Gentian Violet

Extra sheets right by the bed for those nighttime changes due to nasty blowout diapers

Loads of receiving blankets for various uses, especially diaper changes on bed/floor

Loads of Newborn gowns and onesies

Bouncy seat (must have for bathroom breaks, especially since we don't do crib)

Swing

#6 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 11:40 AM

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I am also a first timer, and the issue of "stuff" has been weighing on my mind so much lately. I am so overwhelmed with all the stuff available out there, I would really love to know what products other mamas really got use out of and what is just going to end up cluttering my house.

#7 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 11:46 AM
pjs

Sling
Nursing pillow
Lansinoh
Digital camera
Super comfy rocking chair ( where I spend most of the first three months)
Friends/family to bring/make/stock your freezer full of dinners ( or a crockpot for the diy crowd)
#8 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 AM

The only thing I sought out this time, was the portable bassinet -- I sold mine after DS, and because the one I like is part of a play pen (a 5 or 6 yo. Fisher Price model) it's hard to find!

It's the bassinet on the left in this photo: http://calgary.lowprice.ca/close_to_me_care_center_by_fisher_price_calgary_3500_52c7

It has a separate stand as well. I never had the play yard, just the bassinet & stand. it's completely portable, but off the floor -- we have a big dog & I don't like to leave babies sleeping down at floor level, but like that this one can easily move around to wherever we are in the house as needed during the NB days when they sleep a lot! Found a better photo: http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-baby-items-playpens-swings-saucers-Fisher-Price-Playpen-and-Bassinet-W0QQAdIdZ237055648

I actually scoured the area online classifieds till I found one, and drove 1/2 hour to go get it when I found one! I won't sell this one, I'll just keep it forever this time, as it's hard to find!

Aside from that, the things I kept from last time b/c they are invaluable to me are:

My slings & carriers.

That it :)

I never had a BF'ng pillow, never saw the point, used a regular firm pillow for the first week & after that never really used one again. I had a monitor, but DS usually slept in our room at night, or in the bassinet wherever we were, or I could hear him wake up from anywhere in the house anyway.

We did have a swing, a jumperoo, 2 playyards, a cradle, a crib .... much of it gifts or handmedowns, and really most of it was completely not essential!

Like someone else said: carseat, a way to eat, sleep & poop :) and you're set. It's not that much stuff really.

~SynEpona~
#9 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Lanolin

Moby

Swing (It does vary by kid, but both of mine liked it to some extent)

Good carseat

A nice water bottle with a straw (it is a constant struggle to stay hydrated when you are nursing a newborn)

If you have people who can make you food, take them up on it! My friend brought me meals a few times in the first couple weeks post-partum and it was a God send! Best gift ever!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#10 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Boppys are the most popular bfing pillow but they are the worst design. When I am working with a mom, I often have to get rid of the darn Boppy that is contributing to the bfing issues! The Best Friend is MUCH better. 

Burp rags, you can not have enough of these things. I use prefold diapers but I use them to wipe spit up, lay down in the bed so I don't leak milk everywhere, lay one down to change a icky dipe while on the go, etc...

We live in Colorado and I don't get much use out of onesies but other climates do. Even with this babe, I'll be using footed sleepers in the beginning. 

It is a rare baby carrier/wrap that will work from the beginning all the way through. Most have a couple to few options. I use a Moby for newborns and then switch to a Becco later on. DH will only use a Baby Bjorn.

I just recently switched to a video monitor for my 1y, OMG, best buy ever! I should of done that years ago, now instead of running upstairs everytime I think I hear him I can actually look. I've never used cribs or cosleepers, my kids sleep with a parent until they decide to move into their bed so I'm no help there. I will say that a king mattress bought when my oldest was a baby has been well worth it. I always keep white noise in the bedroom, not all children sleep through noise even if you attempt to train them as a baby, every single child of mine is a light sleeper despite my efforts. 

A bouncy is huge in this house as well. A place to stash baby while I get a shower or attempt to cook dinner. Swings highly depend on the child and if they like them. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 PM

True to what everyone else is saying, you really don't need much, despite what Babys R Us would have you think!

My list...

Boobs ;)

Onsies/Cotton Sleepers

Diapers/Wipes

Blankets

Sling/Wrap

Binkies (all my kids have taken them, not for everyone I know!)

Baby Lotion

One great thing, IMO about when our babies are coming is all the "extras" like swings or bouncers will be coming out our ears at garage sales! You can get practically brand new stuff for next to nothing, wipe em down, toss covers in the laundry and good as new! So many of the things are used so little that they are in such great shape used and it is hard to justify the new price. However...all you first time mamas will probably get some killer showers, so register away I say!

#12 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Ironically, my mom just brought me over a little gift (super excited first time grandma :) I wasn't too sure if a baby bath tub is something you really need, I don't see it on any of your lists anyway :) But my mom got me a Puj Tub (love the name!) It seems pretty freaking sweet to me. It's just this flat piece of soft foam type stuff that folds to fit into your sink, and it hags flat on a hook (like on the back of the bathroom door) which seems pretty convenient to me!

#13 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Puj tub!  Cute name!

Bree

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#14 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 PM

Ok, so I also have a question about bassinets. We are planning to have the baby in bed with us until it stops needing to nurse at night (I guess probably around 1yr maybe?). Would it be handy to have a bassinet type thing anyway? I have been wondering, in the early months, does the baby go to bed before you? and If you are trying to co-sleep how does that work out if the baby goes to sleep before you and you don't go to bed until later, do you put the baby in a bassinet or maybe a co-sleeper until you get into bed, or are you so exhausted that you go to bed with the baby?. I am 100% clueless about this.

#15 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 01:30 PM

I think everyone is so different, so you can only base your needs on your experience. 

With my first, we had a crib and never used it.

With my second, someone gave us a bassinet and we never used it.

In the early months, baby is attached to my boob non stop.  I realize that not every baby for everyone is like this, but both of mine were.  I just lay in bed and nurse them.  My daughter didn't leave my bed until my newborn son came home, then her and my dh moved into another room because he really cannot be in bed with a nursing newborn that is waking up all night!

During the day I'd just use the swing or bouncy.  Also, after a few months, baby just took naps in the bed but that was rare. Most of the time baby took naps at the boob. :)

#16 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Ok, so I also have a question about bassinets. We are planning to have the baby in bed with us until it stops needing to nurse at night (I guess probably around 1yr maybe?). Would it be handy to have a bassinet type thing anyway? I have been wondering, in the early months, does the baby go to bed before you? and If you are trying to co-sleep how does that work out if the baby goes to sleep before you and you don't go to bed until later, do you put the baby in a bassinet or maybe a co-sleeper until you get into bed, or are you so exhausted that you go to bed with the baby?. I am 100% clueless about this.

I generally hold my babies or have them in a sling for naps for the first few months or so, after that I do use a pack n play or a swing. Honestly most babies love to sleep in their car seats. I guess I am pretty flexible on where they sleep for naps. We have a cosleeper for the first part of the night, but whatever you feel works best for your family is what's best. And yes there will be nights when you can't stay up a second longer than the babe!

I do like the sponge bathtubs and mesh ones for when they are so little and slippery! I've never really cared for the giant plastic baby tubs. They take up so much room and it seems you use them such a short time. That's just me though, I'm sure some people love them or they wouldn't make them right?

#17 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:

LOVED our cosleeper, although DS generally slept right in bed next to me and the cosleeper became storage for extra diapers and blankets.  NEVER ONCE used our crib. 

And as a side note, unrelated to sleep, the diaper trash cans (diaper genie, I think) are completely useless.  If you get one, return it and spend the $40 on something else.  Who wants diapers to fester around?  either throw them right away or throw them right in the laundry ykwim? Idk, maybe some other moms would disagree with me?

And I think it is necessary to have an assortment of baby carriers.  I prefer the moby, DH preferred the bjorn.  I also love my maitai for when baby got a little older.  ergos are wonderful too, my sister lives for hers!!  So if you happen to get 2 or more for your shower, keep them... you never know what baby will prefer.  Oh, and slings look so cute, but be careful of the kind you get-- can be painful on the shoulder.

Other than that, I second the notion of multiple onesies-- those kids can really go through them!  and even if you don't use them for diapering, have some basic cloth diapers (the kind you have to fold) around-- they are cheaper than fancy burp cloths and can serve so many purposes!

will keep posting as I think of things...what a great thread.  I wish I had on when I was preg with #1.. the first time I walked into a Babies R Us I was so overwhelmed I almost passed out.

#18 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 02:22 PM

I think everyone has the right idea - there's not much babies really need beside boobs!  lol  My must have item is a miracle blanket. I don't know how I made it through my first kid w/o it.  (Kid 2, my dd,is 2 now and it's very much her comfort object!)  A good nursing pillow, a few slings/carriers (I like hotslings for bitty ones), and a miracle blanket and you're good to go!

I have to confess I was pretty overwhelmed as a first time mom too!  I had my bff create my baby registry bc I genuinely had NO idea what I needed!

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#19 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I kinda knew the very basics I needed, but I really don't know what to register for that I'll actually use. :)  Nice to hear those big bath tub thingies generally just take up space.  That's what I was thinking.  This is what I know I'll need (or already have) so far:

- crib and mattress

- cradle (it's homemade and was mine when I was a baby)

- sheets for cradle and crib

- tons of onesies

- baby wrap

- car seat and stroller

- sleep gowns

- prefolds, covers, pins/snappies, diaper pail

- cloth wipes

- towels, face clothes, safe baby shampoo/soap

- diaper bag

- lightweight blankies to swaddle without the baby sweating to death

- maybe pacifiers

- socks

- some sort of bath thing so I don't have to worry about dropping a slippery baby :)

- breast pump and bottles?

- high chair (though obviously not until later)

- maybe a little play mat for tummy time

- nursing pillow

What I wasn't sure of is the extras like:

- swing

- bouncy/vibrate seat

- pack and play

- exersaucer/jumperoo or something

- rocker/glider for nursing

That's all I thought of so far.  I can't wait to register, but it is overwhelming.  :)

Bree

#20 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 05:44 PM

I would add postpartum care stuff for YOU, like herbs for a sitz bath, the Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm or mist, a peri bottle, a good book for when you're nursing endlessly or just need a good cry...  All that stuff :)  I really appreciated my cloth pantiliners, too, once I got out of the heavy flowing lochia stage.

ETA:  I didn't get much use from the baby bath tubs b/c after a while I realized it was much more relaxing to take a bath together and nurse during!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#21 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

- swing

- bouncy/vibrate seat

- pack and play

That's all I thought of so far.  I can't wait to register, but it is overwhelming.  :)

Bree

I think a glider or rocker is an excellent idea.  As far as the other things, you really only need one so you have a safe place to put baby when you need your hands free and can't use the sling.  The problem is that some babies love a swing and some hate them, some love a bouncy seat and some hate them.  For us, the pack 'n play turned into a huge laundry hamper for clean clothes that I never seemed to have time to fold.  And you already have a cradle.  The exersaucers aren't useful for months, so don't bother registering for one of those.  You want people to buy the things you really need, not things you'll have to store for 6 months or more.  Do you have someone who could lend you a swing or bouncy seat until you know if baby likes it?  At that point you can send someone to the store to buy one for you before returning the one you borrowed.  That way you don't end up with an expensive piece of equipment that takes up a lot of room. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#22 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:

I recommend not getting a breast pump & bottles ahead of time.  Learn hand expression ahead of time so you know how to do it if you need to relieve engorgement.  After breastfeeding is well established you'll have a better idea of what kind of pump you'll want, if you still want one at all.

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#23 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:

I think it would be handy.  Even if you don't use it every night, you could use it for naps or for starting the night out. 

At least with us, the first few months there was no way I was staying awake a minute longer than the baby!  I would nurse her to sleep sidelying and go to sleep myself, too.  But after a few weeks/months it does get a little less foggy and I personally am going to do the co-sleeper route this time around.  I think it will help us have more room in the bed, panic less about the baby falling out of the bed (which...sadly, nora did at 5 days old!  Darn DH!) and just overall have more space.  It can get a little overwhelming having them on top of you 24/7.  Maybe the space will help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post

I would add postpartum care stuff for YOU, like herbs for a sitz bath, the Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm or mist, a peri bottle...

YES!

Ok, so here is my must have list:

Earth Mama Angel Baby mist and nipple butter 

Gerber nursing pads

Bravado nursing bras

Depends!!  Not kidding!  They are much easier to use than pads the first few days postpartum and seem to leak less, especially at night.

Arms reach cosleeper

Cloth diapers AND sposies/swaddlers for nb/meconium days

HUGE refillable bottle for water for myself

Boppy pillow

new flanges/parts for my breastpump

Glider/rocker

I'd say items that are nice to have but aren't essential are things like:

Swing

Bouncy/vibrating seat

pack & play

changing table

crib

We never ONCE used our crib for Nora to sleep in.  I think we're going to *try* harder this time to use it, but eh -- it's not like we didn't try with DD.  She hated it.  She LOVED sleeping with us and slept so well with us.  So, we'll see.  Life has a way of changing up even the best laid plans.

I also rocked DD to sleep in arms, standing for over 18 months.  Not going thru that again.  This kid is getting rocked in a glider!!!  I remember basically falling asleep standing up most nights!  

And I cannot say enough great things about the Earth Mama supplies.  The spray is HEAVEN on a sore bottom, and the nipple butter is really smooth, soothing, and all natural/vegan.  It smells divine, and no need to wipe it off before baby nurses.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#24 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the additional ideas!  Good call on not registering for things I won't use for 6 months.  I'm already short on storage...so good call!  I'll be sure to add some postpartum goodies too.

Thanks!

Bree

#25 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:

I kinda knew the very basics I needed, but I really don't know what to register for that I'll actually use. :)  Nice to hear those big bath tub thingies generally just take up space.  That's what I was thinking.  This is what I know I'll need (or already have) so far:

- crib and mattress

- cradle (it's homemade and was mine when I was a baby)

- sheets for cradle and crib

- tons of onesies

- baby wrap

- car seat and stroller

- sleep gowns

- prefolds, covers, pins/snappies, diaper pail

- cloth wipes

- towels, face clothes, safe baby shampoo/soap

- diaper bag

- lightweight blankies to swaddle without the baby sweating to death

- maybe pacifiers

- socks

- some sort of bath thing so I don't have to worry about dropping a slippery baby :)

- high chair (though obviously not until later)

- maybe a little play mat for tummy time

- nursing pillow

- swing

- bouncy/vibrate seat

- pack and play

Bree

My mom just used wet washcloths for us. Some of those wipes can be expensive.  I plan to either use washcloths or go buy fabric to make by own wipes.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#26 of 43 Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 PM

I recommend not getting a breast pump & bottles ahead of time.  Learn hand expression ahead of time so you know how to do it if you need to relieve engorgement.  After breastfeeding is well established you'll have a better idea of what kind of pump you'll want, if you still want one at all.

Thank you for that thought! I hadn't even thought of that! Thank you :D Logical!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#27 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 AM

These are the things that get a lot of use in the beginning in my house:

--Diapers.  Cloth in my case (pre-folds from Green Mountain Diapers), but I have used paper diapers for the first few days in the past to get the meconium.  I may just do EC from day 1 this time, in which case a nice bum-sized bowl can be added to the list.  Also the related diapering supplies, like wipes, diaper pails, etc.  That varies based on paper, cloth or EC.  But if you're doing cloth diapers, absolutely do cloth wipes too.  And don't skimp.  I'd say buy/make 60.

--Little white kimono-style t-shirts that you buy in multi-packs, for example Gerber brand.

--long-sleeved gowns for bed time, ideally the type that open at the bottom for easy changes.

--Your wrap/sling of preference for you and your partner.  In our case that's a 5.2m Storchenwiege wrap for me and a ring sling for DH.  I personally recommend against the Baby Björn.  It's bad for little spines and insanely uncomfortable for adults.

--My Brest Friend.  It's way better than the Boppy, which slides away.  If you borrow one, make sure it's not the old type that fastens with velcro.  There's nothing like trying to very slowly peel open a bit strip of velcro while you have a (finally) sleeping baby 6 inches away and you're hoping to sneak away for a moment for some bodily function or another.

--Breast pads.  I recommend the woolen type from Lanacare.  You only need two pairs.

--Burp cloths (many).  I have spit-uppy babies.  I favor pre-fold diapers in whichever size I'm not currently using for diapering.  Or any cruddy ones you get as gifts.  They don't need to be the good ones for this purpose.  Also some thinner more portable ones for stuffing inside a fold of the sling when you go out.  Never go out without something to wipe with!

--A comfy and well-stocked nursing station with water, nipple cream (I personally like Mother Love nipple cream because I had problems with Lansinoh), burp cloths, book, remote control, telephone, etc.  A glider chair makes a comfortable seat but is expensive and certainly not essential.  You should be sitting upright, not slouching or reclining.

--Blankets of various weights for various purposes.  You don't need special swaddling blankets.  You can just use the thin muslin squares and then they serve double duty.  My first baby was born in May in a warm climate and I was unable to use the swaddling blankets that I was given because they were just too bulky for the weather.  If I were having a winter baby I would buy one of them because they're handy, but in most places it will just be too hot to use a bulky swaddling blanket in August.

--Little cotton hats for the first few days.

--A car seat.  If you use your car with any frequency, I recommend one with a base so you don't have to belt it in and out each time.  And if you do use your car much, an easily-opened stroller base to put the car seat in when you arrive at your destination and the baby is sleeping.

--And finally, the item that most people go crazy on, a few items of clothing.  Not many at all.  Just something to put them in if you go out.  Almost regardless of climate, plan on long sleeves and long trousers in the very beginning.

I'm pleased to say that I have every one of these items.  All *we* need is a bigger car.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#28 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Thank you for that thought! I hadn't even thought of that! Thank you :D Logical!

Yes!  My let down was so strong in the beginning it would literally make DS choke.  I learned that I had to pump a bit first before nursing him.  This also ended up helping to keep my freezer supply up for when I went back to work.  Definitely make sure you have one of these (even at the very least a cheap hand pump one) ready before baby comes.

#29 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 06:16 AM

Must haves-

Cradle swing

Bouncy chair

High chair that strapped to seat instead of big bulky high chair

Exercise ball to bounce baby to sleep

We had a bassinet and a pack n play and it was never used with DD. She didn't come home till she was 6 weeks old though, so who knows if we would have gotten use out of them in the early days. When she fit in the bassinet, she would only sleep in my arms/bed/swing. When she got a little older and would go to sleep before us, we'd start the night off in the crib, then bring her to bed with us at her first wake up. I did end up using the pack n play all the time with the infants I took care of full time, so I'm planning on pulling it out for this baby too. It was nice to have a place for them to nap in the living room near me and the changing table on it. It's strange how some babies like different things!

We used a bathtub that could change to something more like a bath ring, and that really came in handy. I can't find it anymore though. My friend had that huge inflatable duck and it was used once and never again lol. We often just bathed or showered together though.

I stocked up on Avent bottles because I just thought that's what breastfeeding babies used the best, but DD hated them. Such a waste of money. She never ended up taking a bottle at all. This time I'll buy one bottle at a time to see if there is something that works.

#30 of 43 Old 02-05-2011, 06:43 AM
pjs

I ditched our bassinet for a Moses basket with baby number four, it was handy as you could easily move it from room to room(plus just more aesthetically pleasing). I second what everyone said about swings- my first three didn't really care for it but number four really loved it. I had one of those fp portable ones- a much small footprint than those full sized ones. He used it so much he wore it out. We'll probably buy a new one for number five, but I dread spending $100 on the thing.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page