Finding the fundus! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, I'm 13 weeks and I can't find my fundus.  I googled and it said that after 20 weeks or so, it correlates in centimeters.  But that's weird.  Doesn't it start from the pubic bone and go up 1 cm every week from the beginning?

Last night laying flat in bed, I think I felt it b/c I went from my belly button down, and it was squishy and then maybe 3 finger widths down it gets firm.  But I can't find where it actually *is*.  Its bugging me!

Can you all feel your funduses (fundi?) LOL!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM

No idea, but I was wondering the exact same thing.  I have my next appt with the midwife on Friday.  I'll ask her how to find it too. :)

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#3 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 05:08 PM

I can, but as I do uterine massage for a living, I have training!

You can try laying down with your knees up but relaxed and with lotion (so you glide smoothly), slowly stroke up from your pubic bone do your belly button. That firmness should be your uterus. You can go down as well, but the upward stroke is good for you, helps pull the uterus off your bladder ;)

If that doesn't help and you'd like more ideas from me, ask me! :D

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#4 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 05:39 PM

When I roll onto my back, I immediately have a contraction and I can see the outline on my tummy! When it is relaxed though, I have a harder time even though I know exactly where it is.

#5 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 06:03 PM

My midwife did say that the CM measurements were not as accurate before 20 weeks, so their clinic doesn't start measuring till then, but she had a nursing student with her at my last appointment -- I learned more than I normally do, and now can feel it. Last pregnancy, not so much! My doc wasn't terribly interested in telling me anything useful.

~SynEpona~
#6 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 06:18 PM

I can feel mine, but it wasn't really noticable until about 14 weeks, I think?  Now, it's very obvious when my bladder is full, or if I have a BH.  It's about 4 fingers below my belly button right now, last week it was 5. 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#7 of 27 Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

When I roll onto my back, I immediately have a contraction and I can see the outline on my tummy! When it is relaxed though, I have a harder time even though I know exactly where it is.

Yes, this is me too. I'm 13 weeks 2 days.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#8 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 AM

Well when I press on my belly I can feel where my uterus stops and my guts begin. But it's a combination of feeling the pressure inside (it really feels like a bag of water) and the hardness outside and it's not that exact. I think I started being able to feel it that way sometime after 13 weeks. Becky, I might try that method. I sort of feel weird about palpating it though so I don't do it that often.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#9 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks girls! Becky I'm going to try that!

I don't like poking around either, Urs, it kinda makes me feel uneasy, so usually when I can't find it I give up easily.  Ha.

I'm going to try later on today, I hope I can finally figure this out!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 AM

I have never been able to find mine!  The OB has had me feel it it prior pregnancies and I'm just like 'uh huh' even though I really don't feel anything! 

#11 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 08:54 AM

The top of mine feels like a slightly hard ridge. I always have a hard time finding it at first, but it gets easier as I get used to what I am trying to feel again. lol I also find that it gets a lot easier to find once it rises above the belly button.

GL to everyone looking for their elusive fundi!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#12 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 02:16 PM

I can feel it inside me, but not from the outside, if that makes sense.  It may also be longer for me, as it was retroflexed before I got pregnant.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#13 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I can only feel mine first thing in the morning before I get up and my bladder is really full. Not every time, but most mornings depending on what time I got up to pee during the night.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#14 of 27 Old 02-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Have to admit I giggled when i read this... then of COURSE had to lay down and find mine right away!  lol.  took a little bit of moving around, but finally found it, about 2 cm south of my belly button.

#15 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 12:54 AM

I can't feel mine and never have been able to.  My midwife seemed surprised by this, but then when I laid down for her to feel it she said that my stomach muscles are really strong and my uterus is REALLY far back so she could feel it, but only barely.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#16 of 27 Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 AM
pjs

I can only feel the squishy vs firm border at this point. Once I hit twenty weeks or so, it becomes a piece of cake because my funds is huge and firm and everything else is crammed up into my rib cage.
#17 of 27 Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM

This morning I was feeling my fundus and it was above my belly button by about 1 inch!! It has been at about my belly button for a while. I bet there's going to be a baby growth spurt soon.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#18 of 27 Old 02-11-2011, 10:49 PM

I felt mine today.  My midwife showed me.  It's 2 fingers below my belly button.  Very cool.

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#19 of 27 Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 PM

If you *really* want to feel it, just have an orgasm. Just sayin'! whistling.gif

Milkymommi and Beckily like this.

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#20 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 05:11 AM

I have always felt the uterus as a hard ball in my pelvis.  Right now mine is nearly up to my belly button, but I have had a lot of babies and I think that is why.  It just feels like a hard firm ball in there. 

#21 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

If you *really* want to feel it, just have an orgasm. Just sayin'! whistling.gif

Well um, I took your suggestion lol.gif It worked. Actually I had already been able to find my fundus now (more from feeling the internal pressure than the outside texture) and it seems to be about 2 fingers below my belly button. But yeah, it got really firm so I could feel it from the outside. What a weird feeling, my belly has always felt soft. Even now the fat layer keeps it feeling pretty soft most of the time.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#22 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Mine just keeps going up! It was 3cm below my navel at my appointment on Tuesday and she said it'd probably stay there and expand out to the sides.

It is wider now, but it's also barely a finger width below my navel. Good heavens.

I am really not in a hurry to have it squashing my stomach, thanks!

Also, orgasm makes it much easier to feel, but it makes it very tender to poke around for me. You guys, too?

Becky

Married to Dusty

#23 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Also, orgasm makes it much easier to feel, but it makes it very tender to poke around for me. You guys, too?

Yeah sort of. At least less comfortable, and I get slightly crampy. And feeling my uterus so firm and high under my fingers was really, really strange. New experience!

#24 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 11:48 AM

Yes, it gets pretty rock-hard.  Weird, isn't it?  It's a preview for what a contraction feels like (from the outside, anyway).   thumb.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#25 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Yes, it gets pretty rock-hard.  Weird, isn't it?  It's a preview for what a contraction feels like (from the outside, anyway).   thumb.gif

When I did my training for the abdominal massage technique, the teacher said that women should orgasm as much as possible to get their uterus nice and strong for labour. It was during the after-class party with much wine being drunken all around, but we all decided that 10 times a day seemed reasonable.

I rarely make that (who has the time?), but I took the advice to heart and to do my best ;)

Milkymommi likes this.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#26 of 27 Old 02-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:

It's a preview for what a contraction feels like (from the outside, anyway).   thumb.gif

I was thinking that! I always read about the uterus getting hard with contractions in birth stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

but we all decided that 10 times a day seemed reasonable.

lol.gif

#27 of 27 Old 02-14-2011, 12:12 PM

So, mine is still really low and wide (I am 16 weeks). I can't believe some of you are already at your belly button!  I guess it's normal because my MW showed me and didn't say it was odd.  And I can feel it pretty low too.  I wonder if that's why I think I am showing so much at 16 weeks?

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page