Totally OT - Vent - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I should have learned my lesson after posting a few times on Babycenter.com, but I didn't. I accepted an invite to a "Mommyhood" group on Facebook and it was a big mistake! Terrible for my blood pressure.

A woman posted that she was due soon with her second child and her 20 month old DS still woke up at night asking for a drink. She wanted advice about how to meet his needs while caring for a newborn at night as well.

The first person to respond said "He'll never sleep through the night if you keep giving him a drink. Stop cold turkey. When he wakes up, put him back in his bed without talking to him."

Seriously? I posted that it's normal to be thirsty at night and I would either leave a sippy for him or ask my husband to take over nighttime parenting with that child once the new baby arrived.

Of course this other woman said "It's just for comfort! He doesn't need it."

By this point I was pretty annoyed, so I said "Did I miss the memo that said we aren't supposed to comfort our babies and toddlers?"

To which she replied "Yes you did Tamera. Babying your kids will only make your life easier, it does nothing for them."

JFC!

My final post was: Yeah I wouldn't want them to grow up expecting to have their needs met or anything. You know how a drink of water when you're thirsty can spoil a person. This group is obviously not the place for me. Thanks for the invite Erin. If anyone is interested in a style of parenting that isn't modeled after Romanian orphanages, I recommend http://www.mothering.com/

and I deleted myself.

Never again.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#2 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM

Good for you!!  I would have done the same thing!  Geez, it's not like the kid was asking for a 4 course meal in the middle of the night!  The poor thing was asking for a drink of water!!  My 5 year old wakes up in the middle of the night almost every single night still, but my 3 year old very rarely wakes up in the middle of the night.  Some kids just wake up and need to be comforted in some way.

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#3 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 AM

hug.gif

I have a friend on facebook who recently posted about her child who is only taking 20 minute naps and how she can't get anything done. I totally sympathize. That would be so frustrating and I hope she gets some relief soon. Most of the replies were people saying she should try something with motion, a swing or a vibrating bouncer for example. But then one lady shows up and says, "Girlfriend sometimes you just gotta let them cry it out before you throw them out" jaw2.gif

I don't know if here at MDC we are the end all in parenting, but I like to think we always have gentle intentions and kindness in our hearts.

On the topic of facebook....how many times do you see children improperly restrained in carseats? Straps so loose they could crawl in and out, snaps at their belly buttons, 2 month old FFing. Ok that last one I exaggerate, but you know what I mean!

#4 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 12:02 PM

That is frustrating. I wake up thirty at night all the time, not just when PG. I have always put a sippy of water next to the bed for my kids once then started sleeping in their own rooms. Being thirsty at night stinks!

Yes, the car seat thing drives me nuts too!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#5 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like a high needs baby! My daughter was like that and I felt like I couldn't handle my life anymore. I went to bed every night thinking "I have to wake up and do all of this again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day." and I would cry sometimes. She was a lot more work than my son, but I'm so glad I stuck with AP because she's a very happy 16 month old now. She still won't nap for a decent amount of time unless I'm holding her, but I have found ways to get most things done. Good luck to her!

Don't get me started on carseats! LOL

Ugh I totally support extended rear facing and I'm always tempted to lecture people about it. I try to be indirect and just post articles to my news feed and hope they read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

hug.gif

I have a friend on facebook who recently posted about her child who is only taking 20 minute naps and how she can't get anything done. I totally sympathize. That would be so frustrating and I hope she gets some relief soon. Most of the replies were people saying she should try something with motion, a swing or a vibrating bouncer for example. But then one lady shows up and says, "Girlfriend sometimes you just gotta let them cry it out before you throw them out" jaw2.gif

I don't know if here at MDC we are the end all in parenting, but I like to think we always have gentle intentions and kindness in our hearts.

On the topic of facebook....how many times do you see children improperly restrained in carseats? Straps so loose they could crawl in and out, snaps at their belly buttons, 2 month old FFing. Ok that last one I exaggerate, but you know what I mean!

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#6 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM

Oh, I'm so there with you.  I cannot read most of those parenting pages because the advice and comments make me insane. 

There was a discussion on a friend's FB page a few months ago about someone making their 3-week-old cry it out.    jaw.gif

I avoid all that stuff like the plague, especially when I'm pregnant, because it is not good for my serenity.  At all.

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#7 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM

P.S.  Responding to children's needs at night reminded me of Peggy O'Mara's beautiful quote:

"Don't stand unmoving outside the door of a crying baby whose only desire is to touch you. Go to your baby. Go to your baby a million times. Demonstrate that people can be trusted, that the environment can be trusted, that we live in a benign universe."

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#8 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 02:02 PM

I will NEVER understand these people!  I feel like we all struggle and we all want what's best for our kids, but some people are just so COLD when it comes to their own babies!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 03:42 PM

Ugh, sounds like my sister-in-law... queen of cry it out.  I will never understand.

As a side note, DH sleeps in the family bed, and we have a water for him and a water for mama on the side table!!!  thirst is a human need!!!!!!

I would have deleted myself too.  yuck.

#10 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 03:53 PM

LOL - my DS 's side car is on my side of the bed ..so , no room for a night table for me - and last night  hide.gif

- i woke up my husband and asked HIM for a drink of water!   

Gee i hope he wont make me cry it out if im thirsty again tonight.....

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

#11 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 03:55 PM

Put him back to bed without talking to him?!?! Would she act like that if she was dealing with a grown up? I am so sick of children being seen as less than human. Grrrr. Good for you sticking up for your beliefs AND not hanging around there anymore!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#12 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhendoula View Post

LOL - my DS 's side car is on my side of the bed ..so , no room for a night table for me - and last night  hide.gif

IKR? My husband got me a glass of water in the middle of the night, thank goodness he talked to me and didn't make me cry my thirst out! eyesroll.gif

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#13 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistryClass View Post

Quote:

IKR? My husband got me a glass of water in the middle of the night, thank goodness he talked to me and didn't make me cry my thirst out! eyesroll.gif

Shame on you both, manipulating your husbands like that!  winky.gif

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#14 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Soon after I deleted myself, I got a friend request from the woman that originally posted about her son waking for a drink. I'm glad I was still able to give her some sound advice!

#15 of 17 Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Oh, Tamera - that's awesome!  At least you were able to help the OP!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#16 of 17 Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM

Oh thank goodness Tamera! Honestly I have never hung around parenting forums other than MDC and now I'm glad I haven't. How disconnected can people be? I think the Romanian orphanage comment was right on.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#17 of 17 Old 02-11-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistryClass View Post

Quote:

Shame on you both, manipulating your husbands like that!  winky.gif

In my defense, I was really just looking for some attention!  LOL

Happy at Home Mama to DD 4/95 DS 4/98 and DS#2 8/10  femalesling.GIF        h20homebirth.gif       sewmachine.gif

http://www.etsy.com/shop/motherhendoula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page