Bradley vs Birthing From Within - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-11-2011, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone! I am due August 5th and just found this board. I am also a part of the What to Expect August 2011 board, but a lot of moms on there don't support natural birth at all and we are having a home birth with this baby (#2, our first is 10 months old) so it's nice to find somewhere that it's supported!

My question is, has anyone taken a Bradley or Birthing From Within class? What did you think of it? I am trying to figure out which would be best for us. I still have a lot of fear from my last birth, and I have heard that Birthing From Within deals a lot with that. But I have heard good things about Bradley as well. Any advice would be appreciated!

#2 of 7 Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 PM

For mamas dealing with fear and trauma from previous births, I think Birthing from Within can really, really be helpful.  But it's also a bit on the "wooey" side, as DH might call it.  If you're still feeling anxiety about your first birth, though, that would be my pick.  Birthing from within would deal with the fear and feelings from your first birth, as well as addressing strategies for this pregnancy and birth.  Just my two cents...

And welcome to MDC!  I think you'll find lots of support here for natural birth and parenting.  It's a pretty neat place!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 7 Old 02-12-2011, 07:51 AM

I have the Birthing from Within book but haven't taken a class. I found the book to be very good at helping with the emotional side of being pregnant and giving birth.

It really seemed like it was great for women dealing with birth trauma so I would recommend the book at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lauren- geek.gif Hippie belly.gif wife to  S Mum to : babyf.gif D 11/09 and due end of August!

lactivist.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifcd.gifhomebirth.jpgsaynovax.gif

#4 of 7 Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 AM

I took BFW classes before my last birth because I wanted a completely different birth from my first birth.  I can't recommend it enough!  There were a few hokey parts, but I still loved it, and went on to have a beautiful natural birth :)

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#5 of 7 Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 PM

Birthing from Within is a wonderful resource. We in North America tend to approach birth from a very 'thinking brain' place, which especially for a hospital birth can be important (so that you have all the information you need to make evidence-based choices), but birth is really about letting our 'instinctual brain' take over, and Birthing from Within really helps you to access that.

#6 of 7 Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM

The BFW book was my lifeline and enabled me to have an unassisted birth.

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#7 of 7 Old 02-13-2011, 05:05 AM

I took the full 12-week Bradley class when I was pregnant with my third after two c-sections.  That class enabled me to trust my body and go through with my first homebirth.  It was awesome and I love Bradley!  I read the Birthing from Within book, but didn't find it as helpful as the actual Bradley classes.  Good luck deciding!  I am sure either class would be fine : )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page