Anyone have a good sore throat remedy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, my DS (20months) has been sick for the last few days.  I thought we were over the worst of it when the fever broke, but now the cold symptoms are settling in.  Of course I've been sleeping in his bed with him because he's miserable at night, so lo and behold...I started getting a MASSIVE sore throat last night and today I'm absolutely miserable!  I'm very confident that this is not strep throat or anything that will require antibiotics, but until it passes on and my symptoms shift to normal cold stuff, I really need some relief.  I went to the pharmacy to get some throat drops, but discovered that they are contra-indicated in pregnancy because the menthol can cause liver damage in children under age 2 angry.gif.  So I asked the pharmacist what I can do and she just said the usual things...salt water gargle and lemon-honey tea.  I've been doing both today with absolutely no relief at all.  Does anyone know of an effective and safe way to treat this annoying sore throat? 

Thanks so much!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 05:51 PM

Apple Cider Vinegar can reportedly help a LOT during head colds. I can't vouch for this myself, because I haven't had a head cold yet since getting my Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, but I've read it helps a lot for head colds and for lots of other things such as allergies and the list goes on and on. As long as you follow the dosage directions(and you HAVE to because the stuff is NASTY if you don't dilute it in water!), you can mix it with some honey and it'd probably taste really good. Only buy organic - the non-organic ACV smells disgusting and I can't imagine how nasty it would taste. Organic is at least stomache-able upon dilution with water, and probably even more so with honey I'd imagine. ACV is also great detox, so it should kick that cold right out of your system, :) Oh, you know your brand is good if it contains "The Mother", which is the highly nutritious part of the apples. :)

#3 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I'll head to Whole Foods after work and hopefully they'll have it there.  I'll try ANYTHING right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoSoul View Post

Apple Cider Vinegar can reportedly help a LOT during head colds. I can't vouch for this myself, because I haven't had a head cold yet since getting my Bragg's Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, but I've read it helps a lot for head colds and for lots of other things such as allergies and the list goes on and on. As long as you follow the dosage directions(and you HAVE to because the stuff is NASTY if you don't dilute it in water!), you can mix it with some honey and it'd probably taste really good. Only buy organic - the non-organic ACV smells disgusting and I can't imagine how nasty it would taste. Organic is at least stomache-able upon dilution with water, and probably even more so with honey I'd imagine. ACV is also great detox, so it should kick that cold right out of your system, :) Oh, you know your brand is good if it contains "The Mother", which is the highly nutritious part of the apples. :)

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

#4 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 PM

Oil of oregano is also FANTASTIC! We use it for everything and it cured our strep when we had it. I was amazed. LOL

#5 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM

I like to put about 1 tablespoon of apple curse vinegar, some honey, a splash of lemon juice and a little cayenne in a tea cup and ad hot water-- it turns out pretty good and helps a sore throut smile.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#6 of 9 Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 PM

My throat things are:

- Plenty of C and D3 (at least 4000mg of C, and 8000 IU of D3 until I'm well)

- Grapefruit seed extract (15 drops) in a capsule, twice daily.

- If you can handle it, gargle with 15 drops of grapefruit seed extract in 1 cup of warm water every 3 hours.  Tastes like the gates of hell, but this seems to be the best remedy, above all others.

- Raw honey in hot water, with a tablespoon of ACV, morning and night.

Good luck.  Sore throats are the WORST.  Pooey on them!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#7 of 9 Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, that ACV with honey trick REALLY works!  It didn't kick the sore throat right away, but it was gone by the next morning.  Plus, I never developed my normal cold symptoms that normally follow a sore throat at all!  I do have an ugly cough that started up last night, but I'm kind of leaning toward that being related to my asthma because it quiets down after I use my albuterol inhaler.  Thanks so much to you all for the suggestions!  My throat thanks you too shy.gif

#8 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

Wow, that ACV with honey trick REALLY works!  It didn't kick the sore throat right away, but it was gone by the next morning.  Plus, I never developed my normal cold symptoms that normally follow a sore throat at all!  I do have an ugly cough that started up last night, but I'm kind of leaning toward that being related to my asthma because it quiets down after I use my albuterol inhaler.  Thanks so much to you all for the suggestions!  My throat thanks you too shy.gif

Oh, awesome!! Like I said, I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I'm so glad it worked for you, :-D Sore throats are no fun!

#9 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM

For us, a dollop or raw honey in a cup of hot rasberry leaf tea is a sure fire remedy for sore throats.  Hope you are feeling better!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page