Any Good Pregnancy Books for Someone Not Having Their First? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wondering if you've read anything that you love.  Maybe something light and funny, or something that's not your typical pregnancy book.  The books I have are SO old and outdated that I just threw them away! 

#2 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 AM

Depending on your bent - but, I love The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm, who was a homebirth midwife. 

#3 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check it out!  I have another book by her, I think it's a vax book.

#4 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM

Never too late to read Pushed, that's what I'm into right now.

I read Your Second Pregnancy, What to Expect by Katie Tamony and it really did help me realize a lot of emotions I was having were normal.  It wasn't groundbreaking or especially informative, but it was good for me personally to read early on when I felt really guilty and scared.

I'm also reading Birthing from Within.

Hmm, I loved Mommywood by Tori Spelling.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I have a hard time going to the library and getting books....it's so much easier to go to Amazon! lol  I want to read Pushed - I had forgot about that one.

#6 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 01:18 PM

I'll second both The Natural Pregnancy Book and Birthing from Within.  I didn't get anything out of Birthing from Within during my first pregnancy, but got a whole lot out of it during my second.  I haven't reread it this time.  

-Shannon, momma to H reading.gif 8/03, N heartbeat.gif 9/06, & P homebirth.jpg 8/11, missing S brokenheart.gif born at 11 wks 1/09 

#7 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Thanks!  I have a hard time going to the library and getting books....it's so much easier to go to Amazon! lol  I want to read Pushed - I had forgot about that one.

I have a Kindle so Amazon and I are like BFFs now.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ah!  I got Dh a Nook for his birthday last year.  I have never used it!  I tend to order on Amazon because it's easy and I get some stuff within a day or two using Amazon Mom.  Makes it a little too easy to spend money!

#9 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 02:49 PM

One of the first things I did was reread Spiritual Midwifery.  I love the birth stories!  And then Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, again for the birth stories smile.gif

Does your library offer anything online?  With mine I can log into my account, reserve the books I want, and then they email me when they're there.  So it's not an issue of browsing a picked over selection of crappy pregnancy books...  I've also been able to get a few movies, like I got Orgasmic Birth on DVD from the library.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#10 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingMomma View Post

I'll second both The Natural Pregnancy Book and Birthing from Within.  I didn't get anything out of Birthing from Within during my first pregnancy, but got a whole lot out of it during my second.  I haven't reread it this time.  

This is my first babe, but I LOVE both of these books and highly recommend them to anyone! I'm drinking a tea blend from the Natural Pregnancy Book right now :)

#11 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 03:20 PM

I second Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. 

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#12 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 PM

I loved 'Pushed' but I read it when I wasn't pregnant.  I would give a warning that she does talk about some difficult things, so if you've had a traumatic birth it might be triggering.  Reading about birth trauma when pregnant is always hard for me.

I third 'Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.'  The stories in it are very inspiring!   And BFW is great if you have any fears or anxieties from your first birth(s) to work through. 

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#13 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM

For humor- I enjoyed Belly Laughs by Jenny McCartney (spelled?)... it is quite funny.

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#14 of 18 Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM

I read a few of the "funny" birth books when I was pregnant with DS1, but it seemed like a lot of the funny bits were about things that I get squicky about IRL, like caving in on the epidural, or rushing to the hospital.  I'd LOVE to find a book that is a funny one about a mother's take on natural parenting and homebirth.  There were certainly some parts of my labor that were probably hysterical to anyone other than me winky.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#15 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 03:54 AM

I really liked Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife. It is chock full of birth stories!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#16 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys!  I just reserved a bunch of books from the library.  I will admit, I'm very nervous to read Pushed, though I've been wanting to read it for a while.  I just know that ideally I'd love to give birth in my own home, unmedicated, with a midwife, but that is not going to happen for me for various reasons.  The more I learn, the more anxiety it causes me.  I had a birth plan with my last, but my doctor (who is no longer my doctor) didn't respect much of it.  I know that knowledge is power, but sometimes ignorance truly is bliss - mostly for anxious mamas like me!  I have gotten stronger and more assertive in my old age, so I think that knowing what I know I can avoid the things I want to avoid.  Even SMALL things make L&D nurses look at you like you have three heads. 

I'm still going to read it though - it's first on my list! 

#17 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Thank you guys!  I just reserved a bunch of books from the library.  I will admit, I'm very nervous to read Pushed, though I've been wanting to read it for a while.  I just know that ideally I'd love to give birth in my own home, unmedicated, with a midwife, but that is not going to happen for me for various reasons.  The more I learn, the more anxiety it causes me.  I had a birth plan with my last, but my doctor (who is no longer my doctor) didn't respect much of it.  I know that knowledge is power, but sometimes ignorance truly is bliss - mostly for anxious mamas like me!  I have gotten stronger and more assertive in my old age, so I think that knowing what I know I can avoid the things I want to avoid.  Even SMALL things make L&D nurses look at you like you have three heads. 

I'm still going to read it though - it's first on my list! 

What I like about Pushed is that it's a history of maternity care.  I learned a lot about how the way things used to be, compared to how they are now and most of the anger I felt was toward these doctors thinking they "knew best" when really they were just micromanaging and making things convenient for them.  I'm a little more than halfway through the book, and there are some things that could potentially be triggering, saddening, or just plain maddening, but for me it's just incredibly eye-opening.

#18 of 18 Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 AM

nak

Gentle birth gentle mothering

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page