Underwear... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, has anyone else noticed that their undies aren't fitting right?  Mine weren't covering my touche as well so I went out and bought some "briefs" to replace my binikis.  Now they cover my butt but cut into my belly...

What do you ladies wear?  Do you buy actual maternity underwear?

Lauren (28) married to DH (28) 11/4/2007.  Expecting our little peanut August 22, 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM

Yes!  I do! 

I was noticing the same thing.  My biggest undies were cutting into my belly.  I thought maternity underwear was silly, but a 4-pack at Macy's was $5 cheaper than the regular underwear.  Boy, does that make a difference!  I don't know how it's cut or why, but they are much, much more comfy.  DH had to laugh at me as I groaned with pleasure and did a happy dance when I tried them on.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#3 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM

About a month ago, I sorted all my underwear into 2 piles "willing to stretch out & ruin", and "not willing". The whole 'not willing' pile got packed away with my clothes I can't wear.

The other pile is unders I'm willing to stretch out & never recover. I find the really low rise boy short ones to be the best fitting right now. I do have a couple pairs of maternity unders but find that the waist on them is really high ... but comfy! They show above some pants, so they are reserved for days at home, or under true maternity pants only.

~SynEpona~
#4 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 02:46 PM

My regular low-rise briefs are starting to cut into my rear and look awful under pants, but my maternity underwear is still way too big. I have some Hanes low-rise boxer briefs that are my favs right now. They don't cut my belly and cover my bottom also with no underwear lines.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#5 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Lately I have been hating all of my underwear. I know I need to go buy some maternity ones, but all of my old underwear was custom, handsewn underwear from etsy that I just adored. Now I specifically avoid wearing pants so I don't need to wear underwear (something about the fabric being up in my business is NOT appealing). I've been surviving on leggings, boxers under dresses, and pajamas, but now that it's raining and colder again, I need to bite the bullet and get some maternity underwear :)

#6 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 03:46 PM

I wear Patagonia's active briefs.  I wore them throughout my pregnancy with DD and they did not stretch out (they are made of a fairly shape retaining fabric that is also very stretchy.  They were comfy the whole time.  I never tried maternity underwear.  

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#7 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 04:03 PM

I only wear thongs, sooo they've never covered my butt to begin with lol. They are really low in the front, so no problems with them cutting in.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#8 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 04:28 PM

I am still doing ok with regular bikinis from VS because of the way they are cut, but I do really like Gap maternity underwear. 

#9 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 PM

Can I chime in and cast my vote for ditching the undies?  Go rogue!!  For some women it isn't comfortable, but I only wear underwear with skirts, and I love it.  Helps to stave off yeast infections too...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#10 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Can I chime in and cast my vote for ditching the undies?  Go rogue!!  For some women it isn't comfortable, but I only wear underwear with skirts, and I love it.  Helps to stave off yeast infections too...

LOL, glad I'm not the only one! I actually started a few years back because of the underwear not fitting right during pg. In desperation one day I took them off and have very rarely ever put them back on since. whistling.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 21 Old 02-14-2011, 09:55 PM

Thanks for posting this! I've been having wedgies like mad and didn't figure out why until today because you guys brought it up! :P

Very annoying! Nothing's pinchy yet, but it needs to quit misbehaving!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#12 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 02:17 AM

I had to buy some mediums a few weeks ago because smalls were cutting into my hips and butt, but most of my underwear is low-rise anyway so it just goes under my belly, and soft at the legs so they don't cut into my backside. The main problem is with the ones that have tighter waists or leg openings. Can't wear those anymore. I love boy shorts right now.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#13 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 AM

URS- I did the same.  Went from small to med...mine was mostly because the leg holes were too small.  I guess I'm getting chubby thighs!   I refuse to spend a lot on big undies, so I bought a Hanes 3 pack of low rise hipsters and they're working out well.

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#14 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

headscratch.gif  See, I'm trying to figure out how this would work.  Since being pg, things are very wet for me down there.  Sometimes I have to change my undies mid-day.  Plus, I live in jeans and the seam would be really irritating.  So, while I bet my DH would love it for the easy access (haha) I'd have to say for me it just wouldn't work!  To each her own though!  Rock it commando, mamas!

I usually buy bikini cut so, so far so good.  Under the belly, roomy in the leg.  Towards the end I'll probably get maternity underwear.  Once my crack starts showing, it's time!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Oh, and one thing to add, the ones I bought are from "Motherhood" at Macy's, and are bikini style (under the belly).  They also have thongs, if that's your preference.  :)  Anyway, I just bought more today!  Boy to they look huge when I take them off...totally embarrassing. 

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#16 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 08:48 AM

I have the cheap undies from Costco (bikinis) for this in between stage.  Then I'll do like my last two pregnancies and buy some from motherhood (which also work for postpartum!  They're stretchy enough!)

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=96414Z30130&MasterCategory_Id=MC14

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#17 of 21 Old 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

headscratch.gif  See, I'm trying to figure out how this would work.  Since being pg, things are very wet for me down there.  Sometimes I have to change my undies mid-day.  Plus, I live in jeans and the seam would be really irritating.  So, while I bet my DH would love it for the easy access (haha) I'd have to say for me it just wouldn't work!  To each her own though!  Rock it commando, mamas!

I'm trying to figure out summertime logistics on my commando habits too.  I haven't worn underwear in years, save for with a skirt (which I wear maybe twice a year), and sometimes in the summer with shorter shorts as a barrier for sweat on really hot days...blush.gif  No one wants to see the sweat from your nether regions coming down your legs!  With DS1 I wasn't pregnant at all in the summer...  But with these kiddos we're all going to be pretty ripe in the hottest days of the year!  I figure by then I'll break down and get some maternity panties...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#18 of 21 Old 02-16-2011, 08:00 PM

Wow...JUST TODAY, I said, "Hey...my favorite undies don't fit anymore!?"  It was kind of a bummer...but probably a relief for my DP, come to think of it.  They are these stretchy hideous purple and white striped bikinis.....maybe the baby is trying to tell me something.  They aren't fit for a 29 year old anyway! LOL  

Two weeks ago, I went shopping with my mother. She and I found an underwear clearance section in Kohls.  I told her my mediums were beginning to get snug, so she bought a 3-pack of large mid-cut briefs, and so did I....a bit cocky and unwilling to admit that my mother and I are wearing the same size and style of underwear....I said, "These will fit great later in the pregnancy."  Yes...that's about two weeks later to be exact. duh.gif

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
#19 of 21 Old 02-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth145 View Post
I said, "These will fit great later in the pregnancy."  Yes...that's about two weeks later to be exact. duh.gif

lol.gif

Oh man.  Pregnancy is so... humbling/hilarious!

#20 of 21 Old 02-17-2011, 06:40 PM

I really love the Bravado maternity underwear.  I bought a couple of pairs a few pregnancies ago and they are still going strong!  They were a bit pricey, but they last a *really* long time and are made out of great stretchy cotton. 

#21 of 21 Old 02-18-2011, 05:26 AM

Motherhood has a huge selection of cheap multi-packs, many of which are extremely low cut.  Every pair of underwear I've ever gotten from there is really comfortable, and it's all still wearable while not pregnant.  So I leave mine in my underwear drawer all the time.  Now I just have to avoid wearing anything else.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page