Did this happen to you at your NT scan? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The technician wouldn't let me watch the ultrasound!  When she was quiet for so long I finally asked if the baby was still in there. She gave me a half a second peek at the screen and then went back to her business of measuring and everything, turning the screen so I couldn't see.  I was so sure that I was going to get a great long look at LO.  I'm happy and relieved that the measurements were fine (2.1), and I feel confident to start sharing our news, but I'm so bummed I didn't get to see my baby hardly at all.  Is this usual?  Why wouldn't she want me to see?

Erin
Married to my best friend joy.gif  Waiting patiently for our first baby  whistling.gif due on Aug. 28.

It's a energy.gif!
#2 of 10 Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 PM

When I had my ultrasound it was very hard for me to see. They had another monitor across the room, but it was very hard to see as well. Bad angle by my head and to far away.

I wouldn't worry that she was hiding some terrible thing, just that she wanted to do her bit and it's probably more efficient to do it without you getting a turn.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 02:12 AM

My guess would be that because the measurement was slightly higher (though still in the normal range!!), maybe she needed to really concentrate to be sure that it was an accurate reading?  Idk, that is a bummer that they didn't let you watch more.  When I went, they had the screen up on the wall for me to see right off the bat.

I have had ultrasounds in the OBs office though, and the OB prefers to look first to be sure of what he is seeing before he ever turns the screen.

Can you maybe go to a different place for the 20 week sono, if you are having it?

Sorry mama, it would have been nice to have more time looking at baby!

#4 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 02:49 AM

My measurement was 2.5 and I watched the entire thing!!  Sorry you didn't get to see.  That was my longest and best u/s thus far.

#5 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 06:27 AM

Oh what a bummer! 

I think it depends on the tech.  They might need to concentrate or something.  The place I went had a monitor up on the wall so I could watch everything that was going on while the tech had her own screen to do what she needed to do.  And man, we chatted through the whole thing!!  

With my 1st baby, that's how the 20 week anatomy scan was, though.  Very sterile, the tech didn't let me watch.  I didn't like it all all.  I just wanted to see the baby!!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I guess I wouldn't want someone peeking over my shoulder either.  I just thought she'd be used to it.  I'll wait for my 20 week anatomy scan and cross my fingers.  At least I got a photo:

Cropped.jpg

Erin
Married to my best friend joy.gif  Waiting patiently for our first baby  whistling.gif due on Aug. 28.

It's a energy.gif!
#7 of 10 Old 02-17-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience, but I love the photo!  So sweet : )

#8 of 10 Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM

bummer!  that's why I love my OB's office...he himself does the u/s, prints us tons of picture, does 3D for us, and we get to watch the whole time.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#9 of 10 Old 02-19-2011, 02:08 PM

With my 20 week u/s with my last pregnancy it was sort of like that, the tech had the screen totally facing her, didn't say anything to me.  I thought there must be something terribly wrong.  But then she turned the screen and showed us everything.  I have since learned that usually the techs like to take all their measurements first and then give you a quick peek.  Also, the techs themselves really can't tell you anything "medically" about their measurements or if they see anything "out of the ordinary".  It is frustrating, I wish they would just tell you that upfront (the place I had my 10 week u/s at this time did just that) so you wouldn't have to feel worried.

Jenna in love with my DH Jon, loving our 2.5 year old, Caroline Tulip, and expecting another little one in August!
#10 of 10 Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page