Yucky taste in the mouth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So yet another unplesant pregnancy symptom.

I had this with DS and never really found a good solution.  I just carried mints and brushed my teeth ALLLLLLL the time. 

I haven't found a mint that I like the ingredients in, so any recommendations would be really helpfull.  I have found a tooth paste that works better than last time.  I was thinking about trying a probiotic gum but don't like many of the ingredients in the ones I have found.

Any one else have this?  What do you do?  It's so gross!

Mamabelly.gif to DS (3 years)biggrinbounce.gifjumpers.gifflowersforyou.gifchicken3.gifbroc1.gif
#2 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM

I'm having bad breath problems too (where's the throw-up smiley) ...sorry no solutions to share just yet. I haven't seen any probiotic gum, didn't even know they existed.

#3 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have never tried it but have been recommended it for my son's teeth.  I didn't like the other ingredients in it that much.  Mostly xylithol that my son seems to react to but I don't think I do and I don't have any milk any more so I don't have to worry, even if he nurses he won't get it.

Mamabelly.gif to DS (3 years)biggrinbounce.gifjumpers.gifflowersforyou.gifchicken3.gifbroc1.gif
#4 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/tips-techniques/bad-breath-6-natural-breath-fresheners-119025

Also, you could try those ginger chews you can get near the check out line at places like whole foods (and other natural grocers). They have sugar in them but no artificial sweeteners or colors.

#5 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, those actually make it worse.  While I am chewing its great but about 10 minutes later its worse.  I keep trying though because they taste really good.

I have been thinking about trying chewing on cloves, or cardamon pods, or making apple cider mouth wash, or salt water.  I think i just need to go through a phase of trying things.  I was just hoping someone could stear me in the right direction but I know this is one of the less common side effects of pregnancy.  Lucky me!

#6 of 13 Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 PM

http://www.themouthdoctor.com/badbreath/19-badbreathpregnancy.htm/

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#7 of 13 Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM

I have this same problem.  It's new for me as it was never an issue with my other two pregnancies.  But it only happens when I eat something that's sweet; so I usually just end up avoiding certain foods unless I know I can brush my teeth immediately afterwards.  I'm hoping it's not something that lasts the entire 9 months.

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
#8 of 13 Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM

I had the same problem but now it's gone thank goodness!  I guess it comes back every once in a while when I eat certain foods but not bad at all.  I'm almost 17 weeks and it took this long to go away.  Hopefully it will for the rest of you.  With my last pregnancy it was so terrible that I had to brush my teeth all the time too.  What I found that helped was to stay away from citrus and sweet things.  What seemed to help a lot was cinnamon gum!

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#9 of 13 Old 02-24-2011, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was just remembering that from my last pregnancy, it wasn't mints but cinnamon gum.  I will have to find some that I like.  Last time I think the one I had had splenda in it.  I just didn't care because it was the only thing that helped.  Now I want to go to the store right now.  I have brushed at least 7 times today.

#10 of 13 Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 PM

I had this almost daily for the first 12 weeks, and off and on still.  I tried the Preggie Pop Drops, but those made my teeth SUPER sensitive!!!  I began to weigh which was worse...horrible taste, or sensitive teeth?  I found that drinking some ginger tea helped ease both symptoms. I think it had more to do with the heat than anything. I also heated some chicken broth a few times and that seemed to neutralize everything for a while.  Luckily, the bad taste has settled mostly! 

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
#11 of 13 Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I have solved it.  I just chew on a cinnamon stick and the taste is gone.  Its great!

#12 of 13 Old 03-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

only think I found that works....cheese balls and coke...not the healthies but I try to eat enough good stuff to equal it out! LOL

Traveling around the world with my husband and son (8/2/09). Extended BFing, Co-sleeping, ECing/CDing, Babywearing, alternative vaccination, non-circing mama
#13 of 13 Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM

i have this, too! i get a really nauseating taste in my mouth at night, usually after dinner...sometimes in the afternoon but mostly it happens at night and gets worse as the night gets later.

it is terrible. i'm brushing my teeth all the time. i don't think it's my breath...i think it's just this taste. when i eat a mint, it only helps temporarily and then it comes back even worse. i've been drinking so much water that i pee every 5 minutes...plus, with how often i'm brushing, i won't have any gums left by the time baby arrives!

i am going to try chewing on a cinnamon stick--thanks! any other ideas are welcome!!!

DW married to DH expecting first baby in April 2012!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page