Anyone else with thyroid issues... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have hypothyroidism and take replacement hormones.  No biggie.  Totally safe for the baby.  In fact, it would be unsafe for the baby if I didn't take them.  I researched a ton before pregnancy and consider myself rather knowledgeable in that area.  I even own/run a website about it.   

"They" recommend testing your thyroid at least once a trimester to keep an eye on levels since almost all women need an increase in dose.  I'm overly paranoid and my doc is allowing me to take levels every 4 weeks. :)  Well, the good news is my thyroid function seems to have improved during pregnancy.  A good thing.  The bad thing is my levels are changing a lot and it's hard to know when I need a dose change just based on symptoms since pregnancy and hypothyroid symptoms are very similar (i.e. weight gain, constipation, fatigue, etc).  My levels at 5 wks showed they were too low which I immediately rectified and I retested a week later at 6 wks (because of paranoia and I have a nice doc) and the levels looked great.  At 10 wks, my levels were high and I had symptoms of them being high (i.e. weight loss/no gain, runs, jittery, fast pulse, etc).  So we lowered a bit and at 14 wks, the levels were too low again.  They weren't in the low range, but they were almost out of range and research suggests you should keep it at the upper end in pregnancy.  (I'm talking actual thyroid levels of T4 and T3 and not TSH which most docs use).  

Anyway, I've already gone into too much detail...sorry.  My question is whether any of you have had low thyroid during pregnancy (or undertreated hypothyroidism) and had a happy, healthy, smart child?  I'm doing everything I can to stay on top of it and can't think of anything more I can do, but I just wish I knew everything was ok.  I want the baby to have enough thyroid.  I know his/her thyroid is already working and functioning now and he/she is making their own hormones which is good...but he/she still needs mine.

Logically it seems like the baby should be fine since my levels were only below range at 5 wks and their thyroid doesn't start forming until about 6 wks and I had it correctly immediately.  Plus, my level at 10 wks showed they were more than fine, so the lowish levels at wk 14 couldn't have been low for more than a week or so anyway because levels don't fluctuate that quickly.  Guess I'm just feeling paranoid.  I am trying to do everything right and there's only so much I can control.

Thanks ladies.

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 PM

I also have hypothyroidism.  With DD I never needed to change my thyroid hormone dosage.  with this one we had to up it about 8 weeks ago and I will be getting another test on thursday to measure levels.  I go in about 1 time per trimester to have my levels tested (unless I have symptoms that I think need attention).  

I would recommend not testing as often as it takes several weeks for your levels to regulate anyway.  Also, I figure at this point (I will be 18 weeks on Thursday) the baby is making their own thyroid hormone so they should be fine even if mine fluctuate a bit.   I think mine has been changing because I am also still breastfeeding DD and the additional draw on my body is affecting all systems.  

Oh, DD was born at 41w 5d and was 8lbs 1 oz--very healthy hearts.gif

I hope that helps.  Try not to stress to much, I'm sure everything will be great!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#3 of 5 Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM

Hi - I'm new to this board and this is my first pregnancy.  My thyroid was discovered to be under-active almost 2 years ago.  I was given just levothyroxine for a while and then added cytomel to the mix - which made me feel lots better.  When I became pregnant, I was told to drop the cytomel and up the dose of the Levo - we took my pre-cytomel dose and added 50%.  My tsh has been pretty low - I think somewhere around 0.5, and my FT4 was pretty good.  My FT3 had continued to be slightly in the high range - like 0.1 over, which concerned me, but not the endo who does not like the FT tests.  My reading has led me to disagree with this MD, and I would prefer not to see him but he is the only endo in town.  He also schedules preggo patients for monthly visits during the 9 months - which I also think is overkill.  I like the blood work but if nothing has shifted, a visit seems like a waste of money to me.

I figure at 17weeks - the baby should be making its own thyroid hormones - so I try not to worry any more.  Some of the stuff I had read early on did worry me, but I think knowing about the condition and keeping it treated at the beginning is key - and it sounds like you did that.

First Time Mom to Jonah Brian - born 7/21/11!  100% natural hospital birth.  EDD August 5th.  Married to James Lee on 2/29/08.  joy.gif

#4 of 5 Old 02-27-2011, 12:16 PM

Hello!  Dropping in from the Sept DDC.  It sounds like you're looking for reassurance that you little one will be ok even if your thyroid levels aren't perfect all the time.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism during my first pregnancy, when I had the standard blood draw around 12-13 wks.  Started meds a couple weeks later, saw an endocrinologist at 17wks.... etc etc.  Anyway, my hypo is mild (I take 75mcg when not pregnant), and I am in no way recommending avoiding treatment.  But, my son is a happy healthy smart as a button 2.5 year old now.  You're getting treatment, you have thyroid hormones in your system, you can have a healthy baby.  :)  hugs!

#5 of 5 Old 02-27-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird2 View Post

Hello!  Dropping in from the Sept DDC.  It sounds like you're looking for reassurance that you little one will be ok even if your thyroid levels aren't perfect all the time.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism during my first pregnancy, when I had the standard blood draw around 12-13 wks.  Started meds a couple weeks later, saw an endocrinologist at 17wks.... etc etc.  Anyway, my hypo is mild (I take 75mcg when not pregnant), and I am in no way recommending avoiding treatment.  But, my son is a happy healthy smart as a button 2.5 year old now.  You're getting treatment, you have thyroid hormones in your system, you can have a healthy baby.  :)  hugs!

Thanks.  Yes, that's what I was looking for...reassurance that the thyroid levels don't have to be 100% perfect all the time to make sure the baby isn't developmentally impacted.  Thanks!

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page