So... I took Sudafed... like a lot - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sudafed was on my doctor's "safe meds" list, and both my husband and I had really bad allergies when we were home for Christmas this year, so we were both taking the maximum dosage for about 10 days and went through a few boxes of Phenylephrine. I also switched doctors a few weeks ago, and I'm in a different part of the country, and my new doctor also only lists Sudafed and Benadryl for cold symptoms as the Safe options. So I was feeling pretty congested and miserable over the weekend and took another dose.

I received an email from The Bump this week about Cold and Flu remedies, and look what it said.. Congestion and allergy symptoms: Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and loratidine (Claritin) appear to be safe during pregnancy. Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) may be associated with birth defects involving the abdominal wall. Also, decongestants (such as phenylephrine) may affect blood flow to the placenta, and should generally be avoided throughout your pregnancy.

Of course I could call my doctor's office about it, but part of me thinks that they'll tell me its fine because it's on their Safe list. And another part of me thinks that whatever else they could say would freak me out even more than my own speculation. 

I've been panicking all week, so I figured I'd just ask you ladies! What are your thoughts? Any experience with Phenylephrine? Any suggestions? Anything to make me feel better?!!??

Katie :: Our baby boy is due August 11, 2011!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 AM

I'd call. It will make you feel better to hear it from them. And I'm sure everything is fine!

Old 02-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Hi there, I am not in your DDC but I know of a fantastic resource to address your concerns.  You can call Motherisk - if you are out side of Canada you will probably have to use the 416- number and pay long distance, but there is no charge to speak to them.  You can speak to a real person, and they have access to the most recent research so you can be sure you are getting up to date info.  

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 AM

I would ask your doctor if you are that concerned.  Just to note though, I was super congested throughout my WHOLE pregnancy.  It was just a side effect for me of pregnancy.  I never took anything for it though.

Vegetarian broc1.gifmother to wave.gif(3/09) peace.gif  (11/10) and belly.gif(4/13)

Old 02-24-2011, 09:31 AM

I have taken it too.  I read up as much as I could before taking it (and also trying to figure out which one to buy -  behind the counter or no), but figured that I'd either have to go to the ER for the severe sinus pain I was experiencing or take some Sudafed.  I read that if you can avoid it in your 1st trimester, it's best, but I highly doubt OB's would have it on their safe list if their were a proven link to birth defects. 

Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM

It's on my safe list, and I took it twice last week when I had a horrible cold and couldn't breath through my nose at all.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 AM

I just looked this up today!  There is a lot of conflicting evidence out there.  It's hard to tell which Sudafed, but I know a lot of doctors say it's ok (mine, my SIL's, and my fertility doc). 

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM

I take it too.  Hmm.

Interesting b/c I always thought it was safe. I wonder if this recommendation is new? 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 02-24-2011, 11:18 AM

My midwife suggested Claritin or Zyrtec for allergies.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM

Geez, look at this!!

Here are some drugs to avoid:

It's best to avoid the decongestants pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine, especially in the first 13 weeks of pregnancy, since there have been some reports of birth defects. Although the risk appears to be low, it could be higher if you're a smoker. After 13 weeks, occasional use of these medications — for example, once or twice daily for no more than a day or two — is probably safe. More frequent use, however, can reduce blood flow to the placenta

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it-safe-to-take-cold-medications-during-pregnancy_2299.bc

Cuss.gif

I always thought this was safe to take!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM

Yeah, this was the one I read that had me thinking maybe I shouldn't take it.  But so many people do!  I might need some soon...I am pretty badly congested right now with a cold:

http://www.ivillage.com/sudafed-pseudoephedrine-safe-during-pregnancy/6-n-145747

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I remember reading that a while back, I never take anything for congestion so it doesn't affect me personally. I do try to keep up on the latest suggestions since I only work with bfing and pg moms. Sudafed is discouraged during bfing for most so if I had a mom that has previously relied on it, I encourage her to find some other solutions. 

If you are freaking out then call, but yeah there is mixed opinions on this one so no telling what they would say. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting the feeling that if it is such a common go-to med for congestion relief, then you would hear not to take it from a lot more places than The Bump and Baby Center?!?? If so many of you take it, and its on so many safe lists that tons of patients must take it, then it must be just fine as long as its only in moderation and taken at the right dosage. Thanks for the feedback!!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM

It's really bizarre the information out there on various 'safe' drugs.  On my list of safe drugs is benadryl, senakot, milk of magnesia, among others are listed as safe....yet start searching the internets and you'll find reasons not to take them.  You will even find birth defects linked to tylenol.  

Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

VeggieMom- you're so right! I really should stay away from Google when it comes to pregnancy questions!!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:18 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 PM

Ha!  That's a really good point.  I remember sudafed being perfectly safe when I was pg with DD.  Benadryl too.  I say as long as you use the correct dosage and don't use for too extended of a time (like anything) it should be fine.  That's my plan, anyway...

User Tag List