Make Me Stop Looking At Baby Clothes (aka make me put the credit card away!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

UGH!  Does anyone else have this compulsive need to shop for baby clothes?  I refuse to buy any gear at all until everything is looking like baby is ok (yes, I'm a debbie downer), but baby clothes - totally different story, I figure I could always gift those.  And we have too many to begin with!  I have so many adorable baby clothes that are barely worn (Gymboree, Janie and Jack, Babystyle etc), so this child will have enough.  Buuuut, some stuff is just so cute!  And I love to open the boxes.  Sigh.  It is wasteful so I need to stop, but I just love little baby clothes.  I'd be buying cute diapers and longies, but something about it seems so final and I'm really afraid to make a large purchase right now!  Tell me I'm not the only one!!  I have only purchased deeply discounted stuff and when I have an online code, but still.  I've told myself NO MORE except for going home outfit (looking at Etsy) and tshirts/gowns. 

#2 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 01:10 PM

I have avoided that! I look at everything else (and put it on my registry, I haven't bought a thing.)

I have someone giving me clothes and I know I'll be getting a bunch of them later so I've been good.

Don't look! They'll get you! ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 02:57 PM

I've been holding myself back!!  It's tough, though.  I'm waiting until I find out the gender, then there will be NO holding me back!

Though, DH sent me a text message today that was a pic of some gender neutral cute-as-pie onesies, and I was like, "Squeeee!  He's buying the baby some clothes!?" and when I wrote back they were super cute, he said he didn't actually buy them, just thought they were cute.    LOL!  

No one is immue to the allure of baby clothes!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 PM

I have resisted so far.  We have bought one thing for this little peanut--a fleece one piece bunting outfit that can be zipped like a bunting or with legs by patagonia.  It was on sale and I have always loved their stuff, but could never justify spending that much.  We don't really need much if anything, but I am sure that I will want to get some things when we get closer to the due date and for sure after the babe is born--we won't find out if we are having a boy or girl until then orngbiggrin.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#5 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Ever since I found out it is a boy FOR SURE, I just want to shop for something!  But really I should just go to the basement.  Bin upon bin of clothes! I think the whole diaper thing/wool stuff will be even more fun - I didn't have that stuff for a newborn last time!  I made a Janie and Jack purchase for some 3-6 month stuff, but it was all on sale.  And oh so cute!  I can't resists owls.  Or hedgehogs. lol  I have to say that I would probably be in much more trouble if this were a girl!  My daughter is 11 and I'm just now not really enjoying buying for her since she refuses stripey tights now.  Hmph.

#6 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Babycakes - that is so cute about your husband!  Mine would NEVER encourage me, ever.  He doesn't comment on any outfits and if someone compliments the kids he whispers "please don't encourage my wife"  HA!

#7 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 07:43 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#8 of 16 Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I've been holding myself back!!  It's tough, though.  I'm waiting until I find out the gender, then there will be NO holding me back!

I know exactly what you mean! I seriously could spend hours looking at stuff for the babe and I'm surprised I haven't caved yet. I was tempted to buy gender neutral stuff before I find out, but I decided I guess I could wait. lol. Also my aunt has already told me were going shopping the day after my ultrasound. Everyone loves baby clothes!

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#9 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 AM

The only thing stopping me is not knowing the gender yet. I have plenty of clothes from my other kids, but I like to get each kiddo a few new outfits of their very own. I know the baby doesn't care, but I do! lol DH is a terrible enabler. He can not resist an adorable baby outfit any more than I can.

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#10 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 AM

Oh, meant to ask, who has hedgehog clothes? I am a hedgehog fanatic!

#11 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

So, well before I even knew we were having another baby, Gymboree had a bunch of newborn stuff (hedgehog) that I bought - I always figured I could give it as gifts.  I also have some left over from when my son was a baby!  If you *really* want hedgehog, I know ebay would have some!  A walk in the woods is an old line I had with my son and it is SO cute!!

#12 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Oh yes! I remember when Gymbo had that line. I might just have to look on eBay! Thanks for the info. smile.gif

#13 of 16 Old 02-26-2011, 03:57 PM

We're still not sure if we'll find out the sex, which will apparently make it easy not to spend a dime!  I was at the mall today, and despite looking in Macy's, Baby Gap, and Gymboree, I found all of 3 outfits that would be considered "gender neutral."  Nobody wants green and yellow anymore?  orngtongue.gif  

It will be my financial downfall if we have a girl.  There are so, so many cute girl clothes.  Especially all of the adorable sundresses (and coordinating sun hats and sandals, of course) that are starting to arrive at the stores.  Why is it so difficult to find precious boy clothes that aren't at Janie and Jack ($$$!)?

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#14 of 16 Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM

I like shopping at Target for girl clothes -- and sometimes boy stuff catches my eye there too. Plus it's mad cheap compared to the "brand names" in the mall, even with rewards bucks and coupons and what not.  Nora outgrows her gymboree stuff or stains it so quickly, it's insane that their clothes cost what they do.  I really don't even shop there anymore b/c of that, even though their stuff is super cute. 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 16 Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

I think Target has some cute stuff as well!  I like the genuine kids stuff. Honestly though, most of my Gymbo stuff (and believe me, my kids have WAY too much) has been purchased for less than what I'd pay for something full price at Target.  It's great if you can take part in the good sales like circle of friends and earn gymbucks etc.  Plus I have the gymbo visa (I know, I know) and that gives rewards in the form of gift cards.  My kids have never ever been hard on their clothes and luckily I've sold a load of my dd's gymboree clothing recently because they were all like new.  I don't like gymboree much anymore- seems so much has changed.  Most of my little boys clothes are from Tea or Boden - they are pricey but now I have a better reason for that!  They'll last and he'll be passing them down. :)

#16 of 16 Old 03-07-2011, 09:19 AM

I caved.  I just bought a ton of cute boy stuff from Old Navy.  I added a few girl things for my BFF who is due in 4 weeks, and she knows she's having a girl,  so I didn't feel so lame about it, but I really REALLY wanted the stuff and didn't want to miss out if they sold out before I found out the gender.  I mean, I can always return it.  Or somebody I know is bound to have boy someday, right?  LOL!!  FXed!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page