March chat thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think this is the first time my placenta has been posterior, which is why I'm feeling so much movement so early.  I checked my records from the boys' births and I had an anterior placenta both times.

Today we have an incredibly fun day planned.  We're skipping school (homeschool) to go play with my mom's new puppy.  She's only been at Mom's house for about 10 minutes, so it will be fun to spend her first day with her.  She's a miniature schnauzer and about the cutest, tiniest thing I've ever seen!  I need to get moving, I guess.  The boys finally have their teeth brushed and shoes on.  I think that is an indication that they are ready to go right now.  LOL

Be back later, maybe with pictures, and time to really post.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 AM

Beckily, I wouldn't know what to have done either and this is my 2nd baby. Do you think the faja is contributing to your high fundus though?

Carrie, a new car is alwasy nice, even if it is just new to you. We're making do with our one little car (Nissan Versa) for now, but will have to upgrade next time around as we can only fit 2 car seats in the back.

Leslie, we're already discussing skipping the whole mini-van thing and going straight to a full size van once we get to baby no 3. We'll only really be using it for Church on Sundays on a weekly basis, then for the occasional times when we have to go somewhere as a family, as we'll still keep our little car for DH to use commuting to work.

AFM Today I'll be back on the phone with the health insurance company. They have agreed to allow my out of network home birth midwife to be treated as in network, in principle. First they approved her for 1 visit with a 1 month time period. I had to call up on Thursday to ask for multiple visits until the end of October and they were supposed to call me back ( I had to leave a voicemail) which they never did. So on Friday I called back and I had been extended to 3 visits until May 18th and the woman on the phone said "So you're covered for your whole pregnancy." I then had to explain again that I wasn't due until the end of August and needed cover until the end of October to include my postpartum check-ups. She then asked how many visits exactly and I explained there were no exact numbers but every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, then every week until I deliver and 3 week & 6 week postpartum check-ups. So it has been referred back to the nurse and I'm supposed to be getting a call back, but who knows when. So I'm going to give them until lunch time before I call back yet again to check and see if they have covered me for multiple visits as needed until the end of October. I'd really like to get this sorted today as I have my next prenatal with the midwife later this week. If I get full coverage then the insurance will pay 100% minus the $300 deductible & $25 office visit co-pay. I had to pay a $400 deposit last time so I need to know if I will need to pay more money to the midwife this week, or if I'm actually ahead on payments.

On a more positive note I'm 16 weeks tomorrow, and I'm getting regular movement now. DH is also able to feel the baby. We both think this one is lying sideways this time. DS was head down the whole pregnancy last time, so having this LO sideways feels very different.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#63 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oooh Becky that doesn't sound nice at all.  Like I said on your status, I'm still impatiently waiting to feel more than a random poke from this little one, though he (still guessing on gender here) makes himself known in plenty of other ways.  (i.e. craving crazy things, making me pee 100 times a day, and of course, the huge belly.)  I'm glad you know how to remedy your issues b/c I'd be lost that's for sure!!

I wonder if my placenta is anterior.  Hmm.  Will remember to ask at my big u/s.  SPEAKING OF WHICH -- 8 days!!  Only 8 more days!! joy.gif  I'm going a little batty waiting.  This feels worse than the 2ww, for real.  I'm just really hoping I don't have to return or give away the adorable clothes I bought!  I'm hoping my hunch was right.  But -- that said, whatever!  If it's a girl I'll be just as stoked!!  I just want to know!!

DH is flying out to Michigan on Thursday to pick up our new car.  He's more excited about it than I am, I think, though I am pretty excited to be getting a new (bigger) car.  I just can't get my head around things until they're real.  

How does everyone eles week look? 

Yeah, it's been interesting. For the most part, I don't have many pregnancy symptoms. Baby and I grow in spurts so I'll have a few days of EATING and then one day of Ligamental Pain of Doom and then we're both bigger and things are good. It's very strange.

My midwife says that she thinks I feel so much so early because of my training - I could feel the position of my uterus all the time anyway, so I'm very sensitive to shifts and changes there.

And I KNOW! It's almost time! Gah! :D

Yay bigger car! Boo having to fly away! Hopefully his drive back is great :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#64 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

Beckily, I wouldn't know what to have done either and this is my 2nd baby. Do you think the faja is contributing to your high fundus though?

Carrie, a new car is alwasy nice, even if it is just new to you. We're making do with our one little car (Nissan Versa) for now, but will have to upgrade next time around as we can only fit 2 car seats in the back.

Leslie, we're already discussing skipping the whole mini-van thing and going straight to a full size van once we get to baby no 3. We'll only really be using it for Church on Sundays on a weekly basis, then for the occasional times when we have to go somewhere as a family, as we'll still keep our little car for DH to use commuting to work.

AFM Today I'll be back on the phone with the health insurance company. They have agreed to allow my out of network home birth midwife to be treated as in network, in principle. First they approved her for 1 visit with a 1 month time period. I had to call up on Thursday to ask for multiple visits until the end of October and they were supposed to call me back ( I had to leave a voicemail) which they never did. So on Friday I called back and I had been extended to 3 visits until May 18th and the woman on the phone said "So you're covered for your whole pregnancy." I then had to explain again that I wasn't due until the end of August and needed cover until the end of October to include my postpartum check-ups. She then asked how many visits exactly and I explained there were no exact numbers but every 4 weeks until 28 weeks, then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks, then every week until I deliver and 3 week & 6 week postpartum check-ups. So it has been referred back to the nurse and I'm supposed to be getting a call back, but who knows when. So I'm going to give them until lunch time before I call back yet again to check and see if they have covered me for multiple visits as needed until the end of October. I'd really like to get this sorted today as I have my next prenatal with the midwife later this week. If I get full coverage then the insurance will pay 100% minus the $300 deductible & $25 office visit co-pay. I had to pay a $400 deposit last time so I need to know if I will need to pay more money to the midwife this week, or if I'm actually ahead on payments.

On a more positive note I'm 16 weeks tomorrow, and I'm getting regular movement now. DH is also able to feel the baby. We both think this one is lying sideways this time. DS was head down the whole pregnancy last time, so having this LO sideways feels very different.

This is the first time I've used the faja - I just had to do something to keep it up out of the very bottom of my uterus! I only had it on for a little bit, though, baby was kicking at it and I took it off. Just gave a few minutes where the baby was lifted and I was standing and things settled nicely. So no :) It's how my mom was, too. They actually x-rayed her (1979 and 1981) with me and my brother because she was so big, she must be having twins! She wasn't, she just does pregnancy like a barn and apparently I'm inheriting that joy :P

Good luck with the insurance company! I doubt they ask OBs how many visits it'll be - as many as it takes!

Wonderful that your DH can feel the baby move!! Mine still can't, though baby goes crazy under his hand. Soon, soon!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#65 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

It's how my mom was, too. They actually x-rayed her (1979 and 1981) with me and my brother because she was so big, she must be having twins! She wasn't, she just does pregnancy like a barn and apparently I'm inheriting that joy :P

Good luck with the insurance company! I doubt they ask OBs how many visits it'll be - as many as it takes!

Wonderful that your DH can feel the baby move!! Mine still can't, though baby goes crazy under his hand. Soon, soon!

Beckily, they do say we tend to inherit a lot of our pregnancy things from our moms, so at least you know you are normal for your family.

I'm so frustrated with the Health Insurance Co. They have given me 9, yes 9 visits over 6 months. So they are only covering me until 34 weeks and ending the cover on my due date of August 30th. They have said when I use the 8th visit if I need more they may be able to extend coverage then, so that means I have to go through all of this again in July so they will cover me until after the baby actually arrives. I did manage to get a different phone number from the nurse I got transferred to today, so hopefully when I have to call in July I won't have the first 10 minutes going through multiple automated menus that promise to transfer me to a real person, but don't.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#66 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I'm so frustrated with the Health Insurance Co. They have given me 9, yes 9 visits over 6 months. So they are only covering me until 34 weeks and ending the cover on my due date of August 30th. They have said when I use the 8th visit if I need more they may be able to extend coverage then, so that means I have to go through all of this again in July so they will cover me until after the baby actually arrives. I did manage to get a different phone number from the nurse I got transferred to today, so hopefully when I have to call in July I won't have the first 10 minutes going through multiple automated menus that promise to transfer me to a real person, but don't.

Lynann, Sorry you are dealing with all the BS. If only they knew how much money you were actually saving them! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#67 of 181 Old 03-14-2011, 06:51 PM

No kidding That's ridiculous. And do they really want to be bargaining with a pregnant woman that close to her due date? I'm lad you got some visits, but it's strange to me that you can't get more.

Do you have in-network midwives they'd rather you use, or do they not like covering them at all?

Becky

Married to Dusty

#68 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 AM

That is so ridiculous, Lyn!  I hope you can get this sorted out so you can stop worrying about it!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#69 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 AM

There are NO in-network home birth providers, that is why according to Florida law they have to give me an out-of-network exemption for my midwife. They just are not making it easy. Out-of-network I'd have to pay 30% + deductible ($300), so last time between the midwife and the hospital transfer for the c-section it cost the health insurance nearly $40,000. With this midwife it will only cost $4,000 for the health insurance company. You'd think they'd be glad to save $35,000 but they would prefer to pay all that money and keep me in my box of repeat c-section with an OB.

It does seem crazy to me that the health insurance companies don't like to work with the low cost, low intervention providers, but would rather pay out huge amounts of money into a broken system. Anyone would think that the health insurance companies, hospitals and doctors were all involved in a conspiracy to keep the cost of health care over inflated, not to mention the drug companies, liability insurers and lawyers.

#70 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 09:54 AM

See, my hb isn't covered as in-network either, but they don't specify how many visits I get!  My goodness, thats a PITA!  I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, Lyn.  And I'm hoping you can get it figured out before July or so b/c that's going to be incredibly stressful if you can't get visits approved so close to your EDD and postpartum.  irked.gif

I'm ok with DH going away for a day and overnight.  Haha, he works from home so I see him all the time and absence really does make the heart grow fonder.  I don't envy him the drive back, but I did insist he book a hotel room halfway back b/c I know he'll push himself to make it straight through and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

I'm still thinking baby is a boy, but more and more I'm becoming ok thinking it's a girl, too.  I'm so not set on either.  It's interesting b/c I have a girl name I'm 100% in love with and hope I get to use, but I have boy clothing and would feel ok stopping after 2 kids if it's a boy.  So either way I'm excited to find out.  7 days!!  As long as he or she cooperates, that is.  If not it's going to be a looooong wait until the birth!!  Ha!

Today I found some energy and finally began cleaning up the house.  Idk if it's a spring cleaning bug or a nesting bug, or just a fed up with the mess bug, but it's getting done!  Just taking a small break for some lunch and internet time!  LOL!

Jill - how are you doing?

Leslie - did you get in touch with your OB about the shots yet?  Keep us posted!!

Becky - have you decided when you're going to work up until?  I'm so torn on this issue and it keeps me up at night.  Part of me wants to keep working until July or so, but this other part of me feels like I'll be all but useless.  I won't be able to do many body treatments, and I really don't feel like doing bikini waxes this summer.  I loathe doing bikini waxes.  And already I'm having trouble fitting/sitting comfortably behind the facial bed.  Ugh.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#71 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:

See, my hb isn't covered as in-network either, but they don't specify how many visits I get!  My goodness, thats a PITA!  I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, Lyn.  And I'm hoping you can get it figured out before July or so b/c that's going to be incredibly stressful if you can't get visits approved so close to your EDD and postpartum.  irked.gif

I'm ok with DH going away for a day and overnight.  Haha, he works from home so I see him all the time and absence really does make the heart grow fonder.  I don't envy him the drive back, but I did insist he book a hotel room halfway back b/c I know he'll push himself to make it straight through and I just don't feel comfortable with that.

I'm still thinking baby is a boy, but more and more I'm becoming ok thinking it's a girl, too.  I'm so not set on either.  It's interesting b/c I have a girl name I'm 100% in love with and hope I get to use, but I have boy clothing and would feel ok stopping after 2 kids if it's a boy.  So either way I'm excited to find out.  7 days!!  As long as he or she cooperates, that is.  If not it's going to be a looooong wait until the birth!!  Ha!

Today I found some energy and finally began cleaning up the house.  Idk if it's a spring cleaning bug or a nesting bug, or just a fed up with the mess bug, but it's getting done!  Just taking a small break for some lunch and internet time!  LOL!

Jill - how are you doing?

Leslie - did you get in touch with your OB about the shots yet?  Keep us posted!!

Becky - have you decided when you're going to work up until?  I'm so torn on this issue and it keeps me up at night.  Part of me wants to keep working until July or so, but this other part of me feels like I'll be all but useless.  I won't be able to do many body treatments, and I really don't feel like doing bikini waxes this summer.  I loathe doing bikini waxes.  And already I'm having trouble fitting/sitting comfortably behind the facial bed.  Ugh.

I'm really struggling with it, too!

My "plan" is to work through June. Mostly because I lease my office and have to pay for it! My lease ends in August, but my deposit is last month's rent, so that covers July.

I don't know, though. I'm already down to three a day as much as I can, instead of four (I need to tell the chiropractor that, they still have me available for four!) and I certainly am being much more careful with my hands.

My main issue is my size. I'm already boobing and bellying people :P I'm growing so fast, it's hard to track and avoiding those belly-to-head moments is already limiting my massage.

So I don't know. I'm going to work until I'm too big, I guess. I am very honest with all my people and they can see how big I am, so we're just all waiting and seeing.

Make sure you're doing good psoas stretches! If I don't, I suffer with all the sitting! It's a hard thing, doing physical work!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#72 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

I'm really struggling with it, too!

My "plan" is to work through June. Mostly because I lease my office and have to pay for it! My lease ends in August, but my deposit is last month's rent, so that covers July.

I don't know, though. I'm already down to three a day as much as I can, instead of four (I need to tell the chiropractor that, they still have me available for four!) and I certainly am being much more careful with my hands.

My main issue is my size. I'm already boobing and bellying people :P I'm growing so fast, it's hard to track and avoiding those belly-to-head moments is already limiting my massage.

So I don't know. I'm going to work until I'm too big, I guess. I am very honest with all my people and they can see how big I am, so we're just all waiting and seeing.

Make sure you're doing good psoas stretches! If I don't, I suffer with all the sitting! It's a hard thing, doing physical work!

Sometimes I still get booked for 5!!! I'm pretty good about getting a break after 3 back to back, but I have to specify and hope that I'm not booked already straight thru.  

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing after the baby comes.  I haven't talked to my boss yet.  Right now, I work Fri and Sat.  My IDEAL plan would be to go back in December, only on Saturdays and only on call, but I bet my boss will be like no way.  

I think either way, no matter what, she's going to have to replace me.

I think if she lets me come back for just my clients, its going to be a bit tricky to schedule and she might just be like, "Sorry, I can't let you do that," and I won't have a job.  Hmm.  I really should just talk to her about this, huh?

Of course, my dream would be to stay home full time.  But with my shopping habits...having a part time job really, really helps!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#73 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Sometimes I still get booked for 5!!! I'm pretty good about getting a break after 3 back to back, but I have to specify and hope that I'm not booked already straight thru.  

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing after the baby comes.  I haven't talked to my boss yet.  Right now, I work Fri and Sat.  My IDEAL plan would be to go back in December, only on Saturdays and only on call, but I bet my boss will be like no way.  

I think either way, no matter what, she's going to have to replace me.

I think if she lets me come back for just my clients, its going to be a bit tricky to schedule and she might just be like, "Sorry, I can't let you do that," and I won't have a job.  Hmm.  I really should just talk to her about this, huh?

Of course, my dream would be to stay home full time.  But with my shopping habits...having a part time job really, really helps!!

That's an even bigger issue, yeah! People keep asking what I'll do and I just have to say, "I have no idea! I might like them and not want to come back!" I've never had a baby, who can know what I'll do?

It's easier for me than for you in a way - I plan to not work at the chiropractor, but keep my own practice. I'm in charge of every bit of that and the only overhead is what I allow (minus licensing and such). I'm giving up my office and plan to just sublet at my friend's place a bit. I have a few clients that I feel like I MUST return to and a lot that I really want to, so I kind of plan to go back in September, actually - but just an hour or two a week. I think we can work that, even if I have to have Dusty walking around downtown for that hour with the baby so that it really is only that hour. We'll see.

And talking to your boss.. depends on the boss, doesn't it? Some will start to phase you out now so it's nice and smooth by the time you have to go. Ohoh! I just decided what you should do! ;)

Have your own business and do spa treatments - facials, hands, feet - for preggo ladies and new mamas at home! Especially awesome for best-rest people! Then you set your own hours and such and you can do awesome spa parties! They might have trouble going in or getting child care, but you could go to them and it would be lovely.

There. Solved ALLLL your problems ;) *snicker*

If you have really dedicated clients, she really might let you do on-call. Gotta ask to know, but be careful if they're the cranky types!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#74 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Dude, you have it all figured out!  Sweet.

I mean, I really only have 3 maybe 4 super good regular clients that I would go back for.  I've already talked to one of them and she'll come whenever, b/c she usually comes on Saturdays anyway.  But during my "leave" she said she'll use the other esthetician on staff, and then when I come back, she'll come back to me.  I'm not worried about her. 

But the others...it's a toss up.  Idk if they like me *that* much, you know?

We'll see. Being on call for any appts might work better than just for a few ppl.

But that's all if I decide to go back.  DH is basically assuming I am, though I'm still waffling.  I feel like I should...but I don't wanna.  Even if it's only a handful of hours one day a week.

And fridays are definitely out b/c my MIL won't want to watch an infant AND a 3 year old.  I haven't asked her.  But I just feel like she'll be hesitant, and I don't really blame her.  And if we need daycare then shoot, there's no way that a) we can afford it or b) I could do it emotionally.

Just ate a huge dinner of pasta and vegetarian meatballs,  bread with butter and washed it down with a diet caffiene free pepsi.  Ahhh.  

#75 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM

one more week carrie!  :D

lyn, huge hugs mama.  That's frustrating ME; I can't imagine how you feel!

So I was able to get all of the progesterone (17p) I needed on Sat.  Thank goodness.

Feeling REALLY emotional about all the mamas that won't be able to get what they need and possibly will lose their babies, as well as all the stuff going on with Japan.  I have a friend that was in Tokyo, and just happened to be (in the middle of the afternoon) at her dd's preschool program with her dh and her baby boy.  She and her dh had to make a split sec. decision that one must go get the dd (in her classroom) and one stay with the baby, so that they wouldn't lose both parents.  Can you imagine?  She RAN to get her dd, and they're all fine.  She and the kids had been planning a trip to Hong Kong, so had tickets already.  They are there, and are coming to the states for while.  Her dh is trying desperately to get a ticket out of Japan right now.  I feel so awful for them and everyone else.  So much going on!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#76 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Lyn, I hate insurance. I hope you get it straightened out.

Becky, We've done that before! DH walking around with baby for an hour, what ever works.

Carrie, Sounds like trying to do the Saturday, regular or just on-call would work the best if you want to go back.

I'm planning on continuing my job, it is part time and as the supervisor I usually set my own hours. There is the small issue of my funding though, my program is actually grant funded and with the Senate the way it is now, we don't know yet how much funding will be cut. We are being told by state that the soonest they will know is May and my funding for this year runs out in Oct. The positive for me is that my program is very small compared to others in the state and I never use even half my money, I don't get to keep the reminder for incidents like this or else I'd be covered! Since WIC funding is set to be cut as well, they can't fund me (I only work with WIC moms in this particular program) nor can the health dept I work for since their funding is being cut left and right as well. So we shall see if I even have a job to keep.

Working in public health, I don't make much and since I have too many kids for my mom to want to watch, I have to hire sitters which start at $10.00 an hour depending on how many kids I have at home that day. Needless to say, I don't work for the money! I just love lactation work. I do get to work from home doing phone support and my paperwork which helps defray some of the costs because when I go into the clinic or on home visits, I only go in for 1-4 hours at a time, by the time I drive back and forth, I can pay the sitter what I just made some days. I'm not planning on taking time off, there is no one else to run the program. I just won't do home visits for a bit or general health dept related trainings so anything else I will do, I can drag baby along with me for a while. DD1 will be in the 3rd grade next school year (OMG, time flies!), DD2 should be in PK 2-3 days a week which will leave the 2y and new baby at home to just arrange care for usually. I'm hoping to find a sitter 2-3 days a week anyway. Probably not full days but to help do the whole school pick up thing, run to some after school activities, maybe allow me to nap with the baby once in a while, and then when I need to work. DH used to travel one week a month for work but hasn't had to since Dec, but he starts again this month. And it looks like he will be traveling more then ever for a while, a big client is expanding to multiple new offices/cities. It is so hard when he is gone. He left for the first time when #3 was 5 weeks old for 2 weeks, and it was actually so much easier back then compared to now. I used to be able to pile all kids in my bed and deal that way. Now DS wakes up DD2, I have to pee which wakes up DD2 because she is pressed against me which wakes up DS again and then it is 2 am and we are all up. eyesroll.gif DS will end up staying up for hours and then be asleep when I have to leave to drop kids off at school, so basically everyone is beyond grumpy for the whole week. 

I'm stuck with a sleeping toddler on top of me and baby is kicking away inside like get off my mom. Boy, that sibling jealousy can be fun!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#77 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 09:53 PM

Goodness, that sounds complicated, Peony!

I do hope you get the funding, that's important work! I love that you do it, even without making money!

Good to know the baby-pacing works, though. I love my work so much, I hate to leave too long. Luckily, my plan has always been to do 8hrs/wk max (at $75/hr, that's actually really quite enough) :)

Becky

Married to Dusty

#78 of 181 Old 03-15-2011, 09:58 PM

The fight is on everywhere.  I'm trying to get my home birth covered at an "in-network" rate too.  There are no MW in my area that are in-network that do home births.  Nevada has no such laws like FL.

I'm so sick of insurance companies.  Every single one of them are blood-sucking crooks!

Carrie & Becky

Wow mommas, I too am trying to figure out what I'm going to do as far as work/returning to work.  I'm a pet groomer & work for myself which gives me a fairly flexible schedule.

I'm hoping to groom until I am either told I can't groom any more or until the baby is ready to come out.  I've talked to several different groomers and it seems many of them were able to groom right up until the end. 

I figured that I would go back part time for my regulars at 6 weeks then full time for everyone else at 12 provided no complications arise (C-section, special needs etc)

The nice thing is that I don't HAVE to work but I really enjoy it....it keeps my very type A personality sane.  My DH is a firefighter/paramedic and only works 11 days a month so child care is not an issue thumb.gif

I've been chatting it up with my massage therapist and she went back at 6 weeks with her first which actually only really gave her 4 weeks with the babe--he was 2 weeks late.  She said it definitely was not enough time especially with the first.  With the second she went back at 12 weeks.  Her DH get off work fairly early so she was able to have the boys in the morning and he would have them for 3-4 hours in the afternoon.

I have this funny feeling that once the babe arrives I'm not going to want to go back for a while....SIGH!

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#79 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 05:36 AM

I hope everyone fighting for coverage for their homebirth gets it, and soon! 

I'm also feeling for you mommas you are trying to decide what to do about maternity leave.  I've been fortunate that I haven't had to deal with that worry, although money is really tight as a result of me being jobless.  I am trying to figure out how I'm going to homeschool a second grader and a kindergartener with an infant in the house, though!  I'm so glad that they are still young enough that if we have to take more days off than we should their educations won't suffer, and that I'm a relaxed enough homeschooler that I won't even stress about it much. 

Today my mom's puppy is coming to play with us, so I need to get off the computer and get some work done....and some puppy-proofing! 

#80 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 06:07 AM

Becky, $75/hr is awesome!  I wish I made that kind of cash-ola!  I'd go back for sure!  Thing is I only make commission.  So, I'm not raking in the dough, it's like "extra" money for us.  I really don't think I want to do this for the rest of my life.  I really want to become an IBCLC, and possibly go thru nursing school to be an RN first.  But -- that's AFTER my babies are in school!  It's a LOT of work and studying, and exams and I'm in no shape (or mindset) to do any of it right now.

I dropped my cellphone yesterday.  It broke.  It is/was my lifeline.  OMG I'm going through withdrawals!!  Luckily I had insurance on it (b/c I'm a self proclaimed butterfingers and klutz) so replacing it will only cost $130 (rather than $500 that the phone costs) and they're shipping me a new one overnight.  DH is going to run to T-Moblie today and get me a loaner so I have an emergency phone.  Of course this happens a day before he flies out!! Ugh!! I could srsly shoot myself!

I cant believe it's Wednesday already though!!  The week is going by super fast!  Yaya!!  Today I have plans to take DD to the mall.  My BFF's baby shower is sunday, and I'm in charge of games and prizes so I have to run by Bath and Body works to get little sized things for the prizes.  And see if I can find a cute outfit for myself.  Ha!

Jessica - all your talk about this puppy makes me want one!!  I've wanted a teacup yorkie for years.  LOL.

#81 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM

Baby Cakes...puppies are awesome. We got our Old English Sheepdog after our loss....I needed a baby so badly, and oh my goodness...he really helped. He was such a sweeeeeet baby. He's amazing...the best dog in the world. Seriously....I think he's part human. A truly sentient being. We trained him as a service dog for my panic attacks...it has helped so much. I take him EVERYWHERE with me. Literally. Sometimes I try to venture out without him. Like...to a yoga class or something like that. And I can do it...but it is really hard. I have to avoid places where I might know someone who will want to talk to me if I've ventured out without him in the name of "I should be doing better, right??" . I know that sounds weird....I'm not really a recluse...but, without him, I just can't do the social thing very well. I cry. People say things like "How are YOU doing?" or "wow...your pregnant...again???" and all that I can do is feel my heart rate speed up, and the fear closes up my throat. I think of my son with his brain injury, bi polar and denial, I think of my twins...lost forever, I think of the fear I feel about losing another baby. My star baby. My rainbow. I think of my husband in a job he loves for the clients and hates for the boss who cuts corners to make a buck, I think of the fact that my parents are both clinically crazy and that I'm all alone...like an orphan, and I think of all the things I need to do...and can't. And...without my fluffy boy to run my fingers into his thick soothing hair...without him pressing up against me when he senses my stress levels spiking....I just lose it. I have to walk away and sob.

So yeah....if you get a really smart, sweet, good dog....it's amazing. AMAZING.

I do however have two sweet, stupid, naughty dogs too. They are sweet...and I love them dearly. But...they are NOT sentient beings. They are dogs. And they are literally a pain in my arse. No amount of effort over the past 10 years has made any difference for either of them. And...I do know a thing or two about training. The bassett is a nose with ears. He can not listen. It's not that he won't...it's that he CAN'T. He can not disobey his nose. Not for any reason. If he smells it...he's going to find it. And eat it. Even while I am yelling "NO!". He can open the fridge with his stubby little legs. He is surprisingly long for such a short dog...and he can reach to the center of our giant square table and consume an entire meal for 7 in 5 seconds. He also likes to mark my kids bedroom. Our pug is a sex addict. Yes...he was neutered. He doesn't seem to know that. He humps everything. Especially the bassett hound. Who is a boy. He pees everywhere. He gets on the table in 2 seconds flat. He will NOT come when called. He will only listen to his boy...my 14 year old. He marks anything the bassett has marked. He barks at every thing that walks past our house...as if he could defend our house from anything when he is a foot tall. He's pretty smart...he may even understand english...but, he chooses not to listen to a word I say.

My sweet Ferdiand? Oh wow....he's amazing. He learns a task in an hour and never forgets it. He is loyal. We can take him, off leash, anywhere, and he will listen without fail. We go to Blue Mountain, where lots of people take their dogs off leash. It's amazing how many dogs there are that are aggressive, barky, will chase wildlife, and who will not come when called whose owners think it's fine to have off leash. Ferdi likes to play, but will stop the instant I say "Leave it." He comes to a whistle. He stays by my side. He doesn't bark at people...though he tries to hurd our pug away from the fence when HE is barking, as if to say..."settle down little guy...you don't need to get all worked up."

My step mother has tea cup yorkies...they are super cute! They do pee everywhere...she's never been able to potty train them. I don't think that's a yorkie thing. There are great dogs of every breed. If you get one...make sure their parents are smart and sweet. I think that's why Ferdi is so great...he came from a great breeder whose dogs were amazing. Ferdi was an angel from the start. Truly. Not that I'm saying a mutt can't be a great dog! Don't get me wrong here....it's just that I knew what I needed. A smart, loving, "nana dog" who would take care of me and my family without aggression. I needed a dog that needed a lot of brushing, to curb my anxiety. I needed a dog that was special enough that people would focus on HIM and not me....and it works. When I have him with me, it deflects inquiries about ME to "Oh my god! He is so beautiful! Can I pet him?" And of course...he loves being pet, so I say "Sure!" And we talk about HIM. Not me. I can do that. redface.gif

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#82 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 AM

So, this last week or so has been awful!

One of our kitties got sick (vomiting, not eating or drinking) and we finally took him to the emergency vet on Saturday.  We are totally broke, but my mother offered to help out, and the vet was amazing!  He gave us a ton of treatment free, and cut the bill down as much as possible.  We still have 120ish to pay off, but it was the best vet experience ever.

Kitty is finally starting to do better, but we are not totally out of danger.  We could not afford the diagnostic tests, so they didn't know what it was.  He is eating and keeping down a bit, and drinking.

Then, yesterday, the car battery died just as we were getting me to work.  My Hubby and boss spent all day on the car, and we thought it was okay to go home.  We broke down a mile away in a major intersection.  So there were cops and a tow truck, and borrowing money from my Hubby's family....

My boss lent us a car, and they are hoping to work on ours again today.

The baby is getting pretty active in the evenings, and I sometimes feel a little throughout the day!

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#83 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

I for some reason agreed to go with DD2's preschool on a farm field trip this morning, on a day she normally doesn't go. She really enjoyed it, I however was not up to a unplanned hike up half a steep mountain trail in clogs carrying an almost 2 year on my hip. And I had promised to take kids to the pool after school today since we have two hours to kill before DD1's therapy session starts. I'm sitting on the couch drinking a coke and eating chocolate hoping to get a burst of energy back. shy.gif

Baby Cakes, nursing school is a lot of work! Well worth it though, I adore being an RN/IBCLC. I had gotten accepted in a grad program focusing on education in nursing since that is so much of what I do, last summer but then had to withdraw when my FIL suffered a heart attack and I ended up being his caregiver for a few months. And now I'm glad it happened as disappointed as I was then, because I wouldn't want to be in a grad program with a newborn. I decided then that I'd try again when my youngest was school aged to try and minimize issues. 

All this talk about dogs is making me miss having one! There was a great one that was on our field trip today that had already started me missing mine. Our last dog turned aggressive not long after DS was born, and bit DD2 in the face completely out of the blue. It was a minor bite, she is fine, we worked with behaviorists but were unable to "fix" him. I want another one but I am not up for a puppy yet and we had a previous bad experience with a rescue and aggression in another dog after being with us for several years so I really do want to start with a puppy since we have small children. Maybe when this baby is out of the young toddler stage, it will be time. We have two cats, and I love them, but thee is nothing like taking a walk with a dog. 

#84 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

So, this last week or so has been awful!

One of our kitties got sick (vomiting, not eating or drinking) and we finally took him to the emergency vet on Saturday.  We are totally broke, but my mother offered to help out, and the vet was amazing!  He gave us a ton of treatment free, and cut the bill down as much as possible.  We still have 120ish to pay off, but it was the best vet experience ever.

Kitty is finally starting to do better, but we are not totally out of danger.  We could not afford the diagnostic tests, so they didn't know what it was.  He is eating and keeping down a bit, and drinking.

Then, yesterday, the car battery died just as we were getting me to work.  My Hubby and boss spent all day on the car, and we thought it was okay to go home.  We broke down a mile away in a major intersection.  So there were cops and a tow truck, and borrowing money from my Hubby's family....

My boss lent us a car, and they are hoping to work on ours again today.

The baby is getting pretty active in the evenings, and I sometimes feel a little throughout the day!

When it rains it pours, huh?  I'm sorry about your sick kitty.  We lost our cat right after DD was born, it was incredibly tragic and I'm still not over it.  I miss her something fierce. Hugs.  I'm glad yours seems to be on the mend.

And boo hiss about the car trouble.  I hate when things like that happen.

Hugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Baby Cakes, nursing school is a lot of work! Well worth it though, I adore being an RN/IBCLC. I had gotten accepted in a grad program focusing on education in nursing since that is so much of what I do, last summer but then had to withdraw when my FIL suffered a heart attack and I ended up being his caregiver for a few months. And now I'm glad it happened as disappointed as I was then, because I wouldn't want to be in a grad program with a newborn. I decided then that I'd try again when my youngest was school aged to try and minimize issues. 

All this talk about dogs is making me miss having one! There was a great one that was on our field trip today that had already started me missing mine. Our last dog turned aggressive not long after DS was born, and bit DD2 in the face completely out of the blue. It was a minor bite, she is fine, we worked with behaviorists but were unable to "fix" him. I want another one but I am not up for a puppy yet and we had a previous bad experience with a rescue and aggression in another dog after being with us for several years so I really do want to start with a puppy since we have small children. Maybe when this baby is out of the young toddler stage, it will be time. We have two cats, and I love them, but thee is nothing like taking a walk with a dog. 

I'm still not sure about the nursing school!  I only have a BA though and I think going through a nursing program will help with the IBCLC certification.  We'll see.  Like I said, I'm not sure.  I haven't researched anything yet, just thinking out loud about who I want to be when I grow up.  Ha.

If/when we get a dog, we'd only adopt.  And it's tough to adopt with infants and children.  So, ha, my dreams of having a dog are just dreams!  We have two cats now and have always been a cat family, and I'm cool with that.  Especially now since we are in our baby raising days and that's a ton of work by itself.

#85 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

. The bassett is a nose with ears. He can not listen. It's not that he won't...it's that he CAN'T. He can not disobey his nose. Not for any reason. If he smells it...he's going to find it. And eat it. Even while I am yelling "NO!". He can open the fridge with his stubby little legs. He is surprisingly long for such a short dog...and he can reach to the center of our giant square table and consume an entire meal for 7 in 5 seconds. He also likes to mark my kids bedroom.

This made me laugh!  It's CLASSIC Basset.  My uncle had one that failed obedience consistently.  Like you said--they can't disobey their nose

My step mother has tea cup yorkies...they are super cute! They do pee everywhere...she's never been able to potty train them. I don't think that's a yorkie thing.

This is so a yorkie thing.  I have so many clients that can't seem to potty train them no matter what they do.

it's just that I knew what I needed. A smart, loving, "nana dog" who would take care of me and my family without aggression. I needed a dog that needed a lot of brushing, to curb my anxiety. I needed a dog that was special enough that people would focus on HIM and not me....and it works.

I just love OES.  They are just about the sweetest things on the market.  I think it's great that you have trained him as a service dog.  You don't see many in service work (I think their coat deters many)  but they certainly seem perfect for the jobSweet, loving, attentive animals.

Dogs can be so therapeutic. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#86 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 05:19 PM

I want to be you when I grow up  thumbsup.gif

I was just planning on becoming an IBCLC, but it seems like it would be very hard to find a job without also becoming an RN. I'm applying for every nursing program in the area this year and hoping to start by Fall 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Well worth it though, I adore being an RN/IBCLC.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#87 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quick o/t question for you guys.  I have to put together a few prize bags for games at this baby shower.  So far I got a small lotion and a small candle from bath and body works for each bag.  I'm also planning on a $5 gift card to Dunkin Donuts in each.  What do you think?  Do I need to do more?  This is costing a lot more than I thought it would, plus I got my bff a hefty gift!  Sound good or should I add something else?

Nora was a hot mess today.  I'm wiped but still managed 20 min on the treadmill.  I hope she goes to bed before 10:30 tonight, this daylight savings time has us all messed up.

Oh -- I talked to DH about bedtime.  I think I drove it home.  I've yet to see him do anything about it yet, but it's been a little nuts with him having to fly out to get the car tomorrow anyway, so if nothing happens in the next week or so I'll have to bring it up again.

#88 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:

Quick o/t question for you guys.  I have to put together a few prize bags for games at this baby shower.  So far I got a small lotion and a small candle from bath and body works for each bag.  I'm also planning on a $5 gift card to Dunkin Donuts in each.  What do you think?  Do I need to do more?  This is costing a lot more than I thought it would, plus I got my bff a hefty gift!  Sound good or should I add something else?

If you're looking for more "filler" items for your gift bag, I love the dollar store for that kind of stuff. They always have strange, silly things that make gift bags fun.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#89 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 PM

That sounds fine to me!

If you want more, food is always cheap and easy :) Make some cookies or something.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#90 of 181 Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamera View Post

I want to be you when I grow up  thumbsup.gif

I was just planning on becoming an IBCLC, but it seems like it would be very hard to find a job without also becoming an RN. I'm applying for every nursing program in the area this year and hoping to start by Fall 2012.

It is harder, it depends greatly on your area though. Some areas tend to have jobs where a non-nurse IBCLC would be hired, birthing centers, some clinics, private practice, and some hospitals do hire them, but in other areas, it is all nurse IBCLCs. That is the way it is here, all IBCLCs are RNs. 

And I second the dollar store for filler items! Or the dollar aisle at target. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page