March chat thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I thought a new thread was a great idea Jessica! I'll be back in a minute to comment, MDC is acting funny....

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#2 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah for "new" cars and carpet! Agatha, I had to laugh about getting stuck on the couch, I've so been there myself. 

My head is spinning. I've been battling an icky cold the last couple days, for some reason I was the first one to get sick. irked.gif That never happens, usually my kids bring home some nastiness and then I end up getting it. DS woke up coughing today so apparently he is the first child to get it.

I'm sitting here this morning planning out the summer schedule, eeeeekk! I am so screwed. I am going to be waddling all over the area in the heat right up till the day I give birth, and then right back to it depending on when baby arrives. We are hoping to find some part time help because 4 kids, school starting soon after baby is born, no bus service and 20 minute drive each way, a DH that works insane hours..... We head to FL for 2 weeks in right when school gets out and then it is craziness when we get back. DD2 is begging to do baseball this summer, I promised DD1 last summer that this summer she would get to do this 2 week skateboard clinic. She always does a 2 week gymnastics camp in August. And then regular kayaking and swim team for DD1, swim lessons for DD2... I am going to melt if DD1's gymnastic coach wants her to go through the summer as well. Did I mention that DD1's therapist comes at 7:30am 4 days a week in the summer?! Craziness I tell you. Maybe I should wish for this child to be more of a couch potato instead of some super active child that drives us insane unless she is doing some dangerous activity. eyesroll.gif On a good note, we are trying DD2 out in the preschool again, second day in a row and she is doing fine! 

#3 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Yeah for "new" cars and carpet! Agatha, I had to laugh about getting stuck on the couch, I've so been there myself. 

My head is spinning. I've been battling an icky cold the last couple days, for some reason I was the first one to get sick. irked.gif That never happens, usually my kids bring home some nastiness and then I end up getting it. DS woke up coughing today so apparently he is the first child to get it.

I'm sitting here this morning planning out the summer schedule, eeeeekk! I am so screwed. I am going to be waddling all over the area in the heat right up till the day I give birth, and then right back to it depending on when baby arrives. We are hoping to find some part time help because 4 kids, school starting soon after baby is born, no bus service and 20 minute drive each way, a DH that works insane hours..... We head to FL for 2 weeks in right when school gets out and then it is craziness when we get back. DD2 is begging to do baseball this summer, I promised DD1 last summer that this summer she would get to do this 2 week skateboard clinic. She always does a 2 week gymnastics camp in August. And then regular kayaking and swim team for DD1, swim lessons for DD2... I am going to melt if DD1's gymnastic coach wants her to go through the summer as well. Did I mention that DD1's therapist comes at 7:30am 4 days a week in the summer?! Craziness I tell you. Maybe I should wish for this child to be more of a couch potato instead of some super active child that drives us insane unless she is doing some dangerous activity. eyesroll.gif On a good note, we are trying DD2 out in the preschool again, second day in a row and she is doing fine! 

Yay for doing well in preschool!

As for the rest: huh.gif

I think you definitely need some help. Possibly some therapy. Good heavens. :D

It sounds good, though! I mean, taking out the part where it's a lot, it sounds like a happy active childhood for them :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#4 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

LOL, I always forget that not everyone lives in an area like I do. We are very rural, in the mountains, a sports mecca really. Everyone and their grandmother does outdoor sports. I can't even count the number of hardcore, serious or even professional athletes that we know. The retired guy across the street trains for a 50 mile bike race up a mountain pass so does the soccer mom down the street. If you are not active and not because of some serious injury then you are the odd ball! I know so many families that are skiing with their kids on their backs or strapping them into a boat and doing white water in the summer. We have limited indoor activities unless once again we are counting sports. I've been blessed/cursed with my oldest who struggles with anxiety and severe LDs but is already well on her way to becoming a serious athlete, of her own choosing. The child eat, sleeps and breaths sports, she never ever slows down. If she isn't releasing all that energy snowboarding or something else then she is bouncing around the house pestering everyone to death, so she does her sports. My family and DH are very active, me not so much now days since I always have small children, so she never has a lack of people to do stuff with. And we obviously know a number of children that do her sports so she often has kid buddies to play with on the river, etc...

#5 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM

That sounds great! What a fun community!
We have parts of ours that are like that, but we tend to be more slug-like wink1.gif
Yours is definitely the better plan!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#6 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Carrie - yeah for a new car and reaching 16 weeks. We went back to being a 1 vehicle family a couple of weeks ago when DH sold his old pick-up (It had 243000 miles on the clock.) DH uses the car for work, but since I'm home all day every day because of nap schedules etc anyway it doesn't make any difference to me that I don't have a car.

Peony - sounds like you'll be having a very packed summer. I'd definitely try and enlist some help especially once you have a newborn to juggle along with everything else. I can't imagine trying to do the school run with a newborn (which is why when the time comes we plan on home schooling.)

AFM I'm 14 weeks today, and DS is 9 months old today too. I can't believe its only 3 months until his 1st birthday.

I've also lost another 2lb this last week. I've been fighting a persistent ear infection for several weeks. I just get it cleared up on one side then the other side flairs up. It got so bad over the weekend the lymph nodes around my left ear were all swollen, but I finally found a magic cure. Rubbing alcohol, a few drops 3-4 times a day for 3 days has dried everything up and got all the swelling down. Now I just need to kill off the final remnants of bacteria with some garlic oil and I should be good. The antibiotics from the doctor were rubbish, and the natural remedies seem to be doing a much better job. I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but the bump is still growing. I can't complain I gained too much weight last time, and started off too many lbs overweight to begin with. I'll definitely be happier to gain less weight this time around.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Peony, I'm with you on the kids doing 100 things!  My oldest 3 play sports.  They will all play soccer this Spring starting in the next few weeks.  I'll be driving them all over the place for practices, etc.  Then in the summer my oldest will probably be playing summer basketball and soccer.  My daughter wants to do summer basketball too and I'm trying to get her to join the swim team.  Then my younger son will most likely join the swim team.  And while swim team practice is going on I'll most likely get my 3 year old daughter some swim lessons.  I'll be waddling all over and sweating my butt off somewhere outdoors for most of the summer.  My hubby works really long hours.  But one good thing is he coaches a couple of our kids sports so at least he'll be around for games etc.  Then right around when the baby is due my oldest will be starting football season.  The area we live in is huge on sports too!!  Everyone plays at least 1 or 2 sports here.  But even though it's going to be warm, I'll be much happier when we can all just jump in the van without having to bundle up because that takes forever!!!  I am so ready for Spring and Summer to be here!! 

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#8 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 10:55 AM

I can't imagine running around to all those sports here in the summer. The summer months are our quietest for outdoor sports (other than anything with water) because it is just too hot and humid in South Florida during the summer. I can barely walk more than 15-20 mins outside in that heat & humidity while heavily pregnant (I tried last year and that was only May as DS was born June 1st, before the real humidity kicked in during July, August & September!)

The year before DS was born DH & I hosted 2 teenage boys from the Bahamas who were attending our Church school, and playing on the baseball/basketball teams. I felt like a headless chicken between school runs, practice and games, and then trying to keep them on top of their school work too. I did that until just a few weeks before DS was born, but I couldn't have kept going with a newborn to adjust to as well. So my admiration goes out to you more experienced mammas who can do organised sports and a newborn.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#9 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 11:51 AM

So, that was special. I was cuddling in bed with DF when he tickled me (because I was poking him) and I flailed at him and he fell and got stuck against the wall in the little space between the bed and wall. I couldn't quit laughing. He wen to the kitchen yelling that it wasn't that funny, but I cackled away. And then he walked by into the other bedroom and I burst into tears. No idea. So he came in to hug me and try to help and then got tangled in the blankets and fell flat on his back on the floor.

Which switched me back to cackling.

Sheesh. Emotional much?

Becky

Married to Dusty

#10 of 181 Old 03-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Yikes!  You are way too busy, woman!  I don't know how you manage. 

Quote:

LOL, I always forget that not everyone lives in an area like I do. We are very rural, in the mountains, a sports mecca really. Everyone and their grandmother does outdoor sports. I can't even count the number of hardcore, serious or even professional athletes that we know. The retired guy across the street trains for a 50 mile bike race up a mountain pass so does the soccer mom down the street. If you are not active and not because of some serious injury then you are the odd ball! I know so many families that are skiing with their kids on their backs or strapping them into a boat and doing white water in the summer. We have limited indoor activities unless once again we are counting sports. I've been blessed/cursed with my oldest who struggles with anxiety and severe LDs but is already well on her way to becoming a serious athlete, of her own choosing. The child eat, sleeps and breaths sports, she never ever slows down. If she isn't releasing all that energy snowboarding or something else then she is bouncing around the house pestering everyone to death, so she does her sports. My family and DH are very active, me not so much now days since I always have small children, so she never has a lack of people to do stuff with. And we obviously know a number of children that do her sports so she often has kid buddies to play with on the river, etc...

That sounds really amazing.  We're pretty sluggish (is that the word Becky used? lol) around here.  Nik is getting ready to start Little League and both boys will play soccer this summer. That's it for sports for this family.  Add in Cub Scouts and homeschool group and I'm about as busy as I can handle.  Perhpas if we had another car I wouldn't mind so much, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I've also lost another 2lb this last week. I've been fighting a persistent ear infection for several weeks. I just get it cleared up on one side then the other side flairs up. It got so bad over the weekend the lymph nodes around my left ear were all swollen, but I finally found a magic cure. Rubbing alcohol, a few drops 3-4 times a day for 3 days has dried everything up and got all the swelling down. Now I just need to kill off the final remnants of bacteria with some garlic oil and I should be good. The antibiotics from the doctor were rubbish, and the natural remedies seem to be doing a much better job. I'm almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but the bump is still growing. I can't complain I gained too much weight last time, and started off too many lbs overweight to begin with. I'll definitely be happier to gain less weight this time around.

I'm glad to hear the ear infection is clearing up!  I find that natural remedies are usually more useful than the ones the doctor's prescribe.   

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenyostdc View Post

Peony, I'm with you on the kids doing 100 things!  My oldest 3 play sports.  They will all play soccer this Spring starting in the next few weeks.  I'll be driving them all over the place for practices, etc.  Then in the summer my oldest will probably be playing summer basketball and soccer.  My daughter wants to do summer basketball too and I'm trying to get her to join the swim team.  Then my younger son will most likely join the swim team.  And while swim team practice is going on I'll most likely get my 3 year old daughter some swim lessons.  I'll be waddling all over and sweating my butt off somewhere outdoors for most of the summer.  My hubby works really long hours.  But one good thing is he coaches a couple of our kids sports so at least he'll be around for games etc.  Then right around when the baby is due my oldest will be starting football season.  The area we live in is huge on sports too!!  Everyone plays at least 1 or 2 sports here.  But even though it's going to be warm, I'll be much happier when we can all just jump in the van without having to bundle up because that takes forever!!!  I am so ready for Spring and Summer to be here!! 

Wow, another super busy mom!  I'm in awe.  I really don't now you do it! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

So, that was special. I was cuddling in bed with DF when he tickled me (because I was poking him) and I flailed at him and he fell and got stuck against the wall in the little space between the bed and wall. I couldn't quit laughing. He wen to the kitchen yelling that it wasn't that funny, but I cackled away. And then he walked by into the other bedroom and I burst into tears. No idea. So he came in to hug me and try to help and then got tangled in the blankets and fell flat on his back on the floor.

Which switched me back to cackling.

Sheesh. Emotional much?

Oh, dear!  That is too funny of a picture.  I hate the emotional roller coaster and tears that seem to come from nowhere.  *hug*  I don't know if the hug is for you or DF, though.  I imagine he has a sore body right about now!  lol

As for me, I'm starting to freak out.  How am I going to handle everything when this baby arrives?!  Eeek!  I find it so difficult to manage the homeschooling (which at this point is only for one child, but next year will be for two!) and still keep up with the housework!  I'm procrastinating right now.  We just finished up school stuff and I really need to attack my filthy kitchen but I just want a break, so I'm giving myself 20 more minutes and then I'll need to go get to work so it's semi-decent by the time Marc gets home.  I can't imagine having the schedule that some of you have with regards to running kids here and there so often.  Then again, maybe that cuts down on how wrecked the house gets?  With three of us home all day we end up with some gigantic messes.  Plus Nate is the messiest and isn't doing any formal school work yet, so he has all day to "create".  Hmmmm, maybe we just need to get that second car ASAP so we can spend more time away from home! 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#11 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 AM

I'll just echo what everyone said - b/c all those sports and errands make my head spin.  Last year, I had DD in a swim class one lousy day a week for 45 minutes and it felt like too much!  Haha!  We tend to be lazier in my neck of the woods too.  But we get out in the summer and swim, and go to the park, etc.  I'm very much looking forward to warmer weather -- and to taking walks to get italian ices, etc!

Lyn - aww what a milestone for your DS!  9 months!  That 1 year mark sure is sneaking up!!  

Becky - that's quite a rollercoaster of emotion!!  Ha!  Gotta love the hormones!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

As for me, I'm starting to freak out.  How am I going to handle everything when this baby arrives?!  Eeek!  

Um, yes!  Same here!!  Major freaking out.  And maybe...just maybe a little bit of resentment towards DH.  I won't get into it much, but I feel like I'm going to be 100% responsible for EVERYTHING with both kids, and I just really am hoping he steps up to the plate when Baby Dino arrives.  Otherwise, I might feel like a single mom with a mysterious benefactor.  I have no idea how I'm going to juggle putting two children down to bed.  Yes, it's STILL bugging me.  Whenever I mention to any mom friends IRL that DH has never put DD to bed they look at me with horror in their eyes, like, "Whaaa??"  And I feel it!  I know it!  It's redic.  Ugh.  I just can't seem to get him to realize that if we wait until the baby comes, DD is NOT going to like losing me at night and it's going to be hell.  So, yeah.  Kept me up for an hour last night in the middle of the night trying to figure out how to tackle it.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 06:45 AM

I can relate to the non-stop extra curricular stuff!  Ours slows down in the summer, but I really think they *need* it even more in the summer.  My daughter and son, though 5 years apart, fight like mad.  DD takes dance all night 3 nights a week, voice lessons, and sometimes a theatre class - she just dropped piano this year.  They both want to pick up karate and DS does soccer.  He actually would be ok not doing anything, but he truly needs *something*.  I cannot imagine when he's actually doing the same amount as my daughter.  I will need a couple drivers!  BTW, a skateboarding clinic sounds super fun!  Ds just got involved in skateboarding this past Fall.  He loves it, but he's little and the skate park is madness.

Babycakes - I'm glad you have sympathy from other family members.  If I dare mention something to my mom she says "well, at least you have a husband who goes to work and doesn't cheat on you".  Umm, ok.  Yeah, because that's all a marriage is - I believe we've moved on from that era.  Oy vey.  My husband travels a lot and I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders.  Even when he's home and I so stupidly rely on him, nothing gets done.  The truth is, I CAN do it better, but sometimes I need him to at least try!!

#13 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 07:09 AM
pjs

Carrie- if it's any consolation, dh didn't "get it" until baby number three. He was super contributor but was unable to get her to sleep most nights. With baby number four dh was finally able to get him to sleep, but I honestly think it was in large part to me weaning him. If the milk is there, why would the babe accept anything else (and who can blame them really?)

As for extra activities, and expecting number five, we have limited our kids to one activity per year/season. Even with that limitation, someday I could be shuttling five kids to five different places and that is way too much for us. Dh has suggested we take up golf as a family and I think that might be what we do down the road. I want the kids to have a chance to try different activities, baseball, soccer, skating, dance, etc, but I feel as long as I expose them, then I don't have to send them to every camp, program, team out there. At the root of it all, the most important team they belong to is their family and we need to balance all team members' needs.
#14 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yep, nothing get done in this house unless I do it. I am so sick right now. Nasty cold, cough, sinus stuff going on. I usually can still function but this time I am barely moving off the couch. I'm hoping for a recovery tonight, I have a mandatory work training on diversity in the morning, so exciting. And of course my house looks like a bomb went off because I can't move and DH sure isn't going to do everything. 

Veggie, I hear you about the needing it more in the summer. DD1 thrives off routine, the summers are really hard for her because it isn't school 5 days a week, etc... She just starts causing trouble, as in literally destroying stuff if she isn't kept busy enough. One of the reasons homeschooling her (which I did until last school year) was a failure! 

So glad that I am not the only busy mom driving all over the place. And yes, ready for spring. DD1's school went skiing today so DH went along, about the only time he does do stuff is when powder or white water is involved, I am so ready to pack away all the winter sports gear and get outside and have it be warm.

#15 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
 At the root of it all, the most important team they belong to is their family and we need to balance all team members' needs.

luxlove.gif  I love this!!  Yes, very true!!

I keep mentioning to DH that I'm just going to go away for a few days and let the two of them figure it out.  I could definitely use 2 or 3 nights in a nice hotel with room service before this LO comes.  Haha.  I'm only somewhat kidding.  LOL.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#16 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Hi fellow busy moms!  :D  I was really gearing up for a fairly busy spring/summer.  We are huge gardeners and campers.  But...all that is now pretty much out.  I'm REALLY frustrated because of it!  I've been put on light duty for now which will prob. lead into bedrest in a few weeks.  As for now, I can't even lift my youngest, who is 18mo and doesn't walk yet.  So the car seat is an issue!  I need to find a way to get creative here.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#17 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I keep mentioning to DH that I'm just going to go away for a few days and let the two of them figure it out.  I could definitely use 2 or 3 nights in a nice hotel with room service before this LO comes.  Haha.  I'm only somewhat kidding.  LOL.

Carrie, that doesn't sound like a bad idea if the budget can stretch to a night or two away. I'd do it sooner rather than later so DD has time to get used to it before the baby arrives so she doesn't put the two together.

We decided very early on that bedtime would be Daddy bonding time. Some days DH will only just get home in time to put DS down for the night, but last night it didn't look like it would happen as DS was too tired to wait for Daddy, but the little guy kept looking around as if to say "where's Dada?" Then just as I finished getting him dressed for bed DH arrived home in time to finish the bedtime routine. I'm so blessed to have such a hands on DH.

Hope you can figure something out Carrie so you don't have to loose any more sleep over this.

#18 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

Hi fellow busy moms!  :D  I was really gearing up for a fairly busy spring/summer.  We are huge gardeners and campers.  But...all that is now pretty much out.  I'm REALLY frustrated because of it!  I've been put on light duty for now which will prob. lead into bedrest in a few weeks.  As for now, I can't even lift my youngest, who is 18mo and doesn't walk yet.  So the car seat is an issue!  I need to find a way to get creative here.

Jilly, did they give you any more info on what has actually happened? So sorry to hear your on light duty this early on. Hope you get all the help you need.

#19 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:

Carrie, that doesn't sound like a bad idea if the budget can stretch to a night or two away. I'd do it sooner rather than later so DD has time to get used to it before the baby arrives so she doesn't put the two together.

We decided very early on that bedtime would be Daddy bonding time. Some days DH will only just get home in time to put DS down for the night, but last night it didn't look like it would happen as DS was too tired to wait for Daddy, but the little guy kept looking around as if to say "where's Dada?" Then just as I finished getting him dressed for bed DH arrived home in time to finish the bedtime routine. I'm so blessed to have such a hands on DH.

Hope you can figure something out Carrie so you don't have to loose any more sleep over this.

I hope so too!!  I just always did bedtime b/c I nursed nora to sleep from when she was born until she was past 2, so it didn't make much sense (and would have stressed us all out) to then wake her up and then have DH put her to bed.  I thought when she weaned he would take initiative and jump in.  But he didn't.  I've been angry about that for months now, but don't even know where to begin to "fix" it.

Jill - Hang in there mama!  I can't even imagine.  I hope you have some help with the LOs, especially the baby.  I would feel very trapped!!  O/T what were the injections that were helping baby stay put?  My sister is up in arms b/c they just changed the label for terbutaline and she can't use it for PTL anymore.  She's worried sick b/c it has helped her last few babies stay put until 35 weeks or so.  That isn't what you were using, is it?  Oh I hope not.  You really don't need another wrench thrown in the plans!!!

#20 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM

Lyn I feel blessed with a great dh too!  I had to decline help with meals from my friends because my Dh is THAT awesome!  He does all the housework now too!

As for what happened, my uterus is prolapsing.  I got fitted for a pessary (a ring I insert up there to literally hold things up) but it's really uncomfortable for very long.  They told me for now, with the double risk of PTL, to make it "light duty" and we'll reassess frequently.  She said most likely it'll be bedrest in the 3rd trimester.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#21 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Jill, I'm glad you have such a wonderful DH to help. For now at least you are still being allowed some activity, even just light duty. I know that staying off bedrest as long as possible without making things worse is usually the goal. Do you have anyone other than DH to help look after your 18 month old. I'll be keeping you and this LO in my prayers, for a full term pregnancy and no more complications.

Carrie, this may seem like a stupid question, but have you actually talked it over with your DH? I know I sometimes get things all worked up in my head and then when I finally talk about it with DH he can't understand why I didn't just say something. His favorite thing to tell me is "Don't make me guess, you know I'll always get it wrong." Its his way of saying he can't read my mind. Maybe just telling him how stressed you are about this and how much it would help you emotionally if he started working on bedtime changes straight away. Then leave the house just before DD's bedtime so she can't appeal to your emotions and be gone for long enough that DH can get her settled, but not so long that if its a disaster the first time they are both in a mess when you get back (like find something you need to go to the store for and be gone about an hour.)

#22 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM

@ Jill

That sucks greensad.gif

At 15 weeks 4 days, I am finally comfy because I begged my mum for money to get maternity clothes. Macy's has a Motherhood section and I got two bras and two tanks for$ 65! I am just wearing my too short regular shirts over them. So much better!

I sometimes feel the baby, but it is still very infrequent and faint.

Apparently, my OB says 5'5" 122lbs is too fat! Yeah, I need to switch. We are still hoping for a midwife, but unless we take out a title loan on our one car, I don't know how we can afford it.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#23 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 PM

I'm 5'4 and weighed 246 at my last appt and my midwife said "Your weight is fine." Obviously I could stand to lose quite a few pounds when I'm not pregnant, but they shouldn't be harassing you about your weight.

Does your insurance not cover midwives? Ours won't cover a homebirth, but they do cover birthing centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

@ Jill

That sucks greensad.gif

At 15 weeks 4 days, I am finally comfy because I begged my mum for money to get maternity clothes. Macy's has a Motherhood section and I got two bras and two tanks for$ 65! I am just wearing my too short regular shirts over them. So much better!

I sometimes feel the baby, but it is still very infrequent and faint.

Apparently, my OB says 5'5" 122lbs is too fat! Yeah, I need to switch. We are still hoping for a midwife, but unless we take out a title loan on our one car, I don't know how we can afford it.

Emerging butterfly likes this.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#24 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 12:38 PM

OMG!

My mum found out I can still be under my fathers insurance, even though I am married. That means I can use one of the two hospitals with midwives' groups!

So, so, happy now!!!

smile.gif

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#25 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

OMG!

My mum found out I can still be under my fathers insurance, even though I am married. That means I can use one of the two hospitals with midwives' groups!

So, so, happy now!!!

smile.gif

So glad you have a solution. Your OB sounds awful. I'm 5ft2 and at my last appointment weighed 193lb (although I'm now down to 191lb) and my MW didn't even mention it. She has suggested I try not to gain as much as last time, but that's only to help prevent my waters breaking at the start of labor like last time.

Sounds like you need to move to another provider regardless of where you birth.

One thing I love about living in Florida, is that they have this wonderful law that Health Insurance companies HAVE to cover homebirths, and if there are no network providers (and there are never network providers) you can apply for a network exemption so that the CNM is covered as if they are in network. I'm in the process of trying to get my exemption right now, just waiting to hear back from the Health Insurance Co. If I don't get it they still cover 70% of a homebirth.

For others it might be worth checking if your state has a similar provision.

#26 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Carrie, this may seem like a stupid question, but have you actually talked it over with your DH? 

Sigh. Not stupid. I think you're on to something. I've only mentioned it passively, as in, "Maybe soon you can help put her to bed," or "I'm really tired of doing bedtime,".  He has no idea I'm THAT stressed over it. Maybe we should have a conversation and come up with a plan. Running out to the store or something for an hour would totally be doable. Thanks, Lyn. You're awesome!

#27 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Sigh. Not stupid. I think you're on to something. I've only mentioned it passively, as in, "Maybe soon you can help put her to bed," or "I'm really tired of doing bedtime,".  He has no idea I'm THAT stressed over it. Maybe we should have a conversation and come up with a plan. Running out to the store or something for an hour would totally be doable. Thanks, Lyn. You're awesome!

Carrie, I'm glad I asked now.

DH and I have had that "I don't read minds, why didn't you say something sooner" conversation many times over the last few years. Let him know how you FEEL as well as how important it is that DD gets plenty of time to adjust so she doesn't associate it with the new baby. DH suggested that your DH comes up with a special routine that is just between him & DD, so that its their special time together at the end of the day. That's how my DH does it with our DS. They have their own special rituals around bedtime so that its fun but also settles DS down ready to fall asleep.

When your DH does take over you should try to be out of the house every night during that time until your DD gets settled into her new routine. That way she has to adjust, and she can't play on your emotions to try and get her own way.

#28 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 06:30 PM

We switched up the bedtime routine when I started taking a college class on Thursday nights. Evie (my 16 month old DD) was used to nursing to sleep. The first week, she brought him the nursing pillow and wanted him to help her look for me. She got a little upset, but he took her for a walk in the stroller and she fell asleep. The second week, she crawled into his lap and went to sleep.

I'm really glad that we HAD to make the switch. Otherwise, I probably would have let myself get progressively more overwhelmed. I wish I had started it sooner because it really has a big effect on my mood when I have more "me time".

Quote:

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#29 of 181 Old 03-02-2011, 06:49 PM

@ Lynann

Nah, VA just recently legalized lay midwives. It is not the most homebirth friendly of areas.

#30 of 181 Old 03-03-2011, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Feeling slightly more alive today, I am functioning at least thanks to yet another dose of antibiotics. Sigh, I've never been sick during a pg as I have with this one. I was up every hour during the night of course and I could instantly tell the difference when they finally kicked in. 10 years of no antibiotic use to be undone by one baby. eyesroll.gif I knew I made the right decision to go in yesterday when I had to get myself and two kids dressed to go, it took me an hour because I had to keep lying on the floor to catch my breath. Took my pulse and I was so short of breath that I was 110, I'm normally one of those 60 people with a BP barely over a 100, not yesterday. So I'm functioning I managed to attend my work training this morning, I decided that I'd get more rest sitting there then at home with my children! DD1's school ends today for spring break and then I'm looking forward to recovering at home for a few more days. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page