fun books to read while pregnant that aren't "how to" guides - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas.. I thought it might be fun to suggest books to each other to read for those free moments.  For example now is a great time for me to be reading-- 3:30 in the am, can't sleep.  would be nice to read instead of turn on MTV and hope that "Teen Mom" is on. lol.

Here's my pick: 

Blue Jay's Dance by Louise Erdrich. 

If you've never read her books, start with Love Medicine, her fiction novel.  Then read Blue Jay's Dance.  It is a memoir of sorts about her life during her time of pregnancy and when her babies were little.  Beautiful book!

Ok, what are some other suggestions?

#2 of 4 Old 03-04-2011, 07:57 AM

I just read "Babycatcher" and loved it.

#3 of 4 Old 03-04-2011, 04:27 PM

I'm a big chick lit fan, and I have to recommend Jennifer Wiener if you haven't read her books yet.  Little Earthquakes was fantastic and all about women having babies and how different their experiences were.  How it's not what it seems at all.  It's a novel, but still pregnancy-ish.  All her books are marvelous and a good fun read.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 4 Old 03-04-2011, 07:03 PM

This book has nothing to do with pregnancy, but it's one of the most FUN books I've ever read!!  I WAS TOLD THERE'D BY CAKE by Sloane Crosley.   It's full of hilarious short essays!  It's an easy read, and lots of fun!  Highly recommended! 

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page