Eye Exams During Pregnancy? Concerned About Dilating/Numbing Drops. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to see my Opthamologist. Over the past 3 weeks I have had a significant increase in floaters - the stringy, cobweb like, worm, circle sort (not tiny flecks of blood or anything).  Unfortunately it is just getting worse.  I have chronic Lyme and before I contracted it, I never had floaters.  One day they were in one eye and a week later they appeared in the other eye- about 8 years now.  Sometimes they are worse than others but right now they are at their very worst and I'm not sure if it's pregnancy related, inflammation, or what. I'm experiencing such anxiety over it.

I saw the Optometrist since he's in town and I could get in same day.  I had them do the retinal scan and he said he didn't see anything significant.  Of course he didn't do an in depth eye exam, but I'm pretty sure the scan itself (takes pictures of the retina) would show a tear or detachment which was my immediate concern.  So....if I go to the Opthamologist, I'm fairly certain they'll want/need to dilate.  I see that it's not recommended in pregnancy, so I'm not sure what to do.  I can say with certainty that if I continue to experience 20 squiggly lines in my vision when I'm looking at the computer, the floor, driving, watching tv (pretty much anywhere but a pitch black room) - I will go insane.  Anyone have solid info on these "meds" during pregnancy?  Or anyone experience an increase during pregnancy?

#2 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 AM

So, they took pictures of the retina already?  (With the computer, right?)  Why would they need to dilate?  I was under the impression that the computer imaging of the retina took the place of the dilating exam.  shrug.gif

I do know that my eyes tend to change during pregnancy.  Whenever I've had an exam during pregnancy my prescription has changed. (Sometimes for the better, weirdly!)  I don't know if it's due to the increase in blood volume/pressure/hormones or what, but I think eye changes happen pretty frequently.  Now that you  mention it, I see more floaters lately too! 

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#3 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

So, they took pictures of the retina already?  (With the computer, right?)  Why would they need to dilate?  I was under the impression that the computer imaging of the retina took the place of the dilating exam.  shrug.gif

I do know that my eyes tend to change during pregnancy.  Whenever I've had an exam during pregnancy my prescription has changed. (Sometimes for the better, weirdly!)  I don't know if it's due to the increase in blood volume/pressure/hormones or what, but I think eye changes happen pretty frequently.  Now that you  mention it, I see more floaters lately too! 

I had never had the scan done before, but this time I requested it because I knew my retina needed checked.  I know that the scan only looks at the retina, so they probably will need to dilate to view the optic nerve more clearly?  I don't know much about it!  My Opthamologist didn't do the scan but I'm sure they can send him a copy of it.  I'm just concerned that there's other issues going on - inflammation or something else.  I did read that the scan shouldn't take place of an exam, but again I'm not sure exactly what dilation is used to view in the eye, I just know that it allows a more 'open' view. 

#4 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM

I just went so I know, I know! ;)

They'll just need the pictures. Mine offers dilation or pictures - the pictures cost extra. But because I'm pregnant, I got free pictures ;) They're actually nicer because then you have a record of where you were.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#5 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Becky.  I'm just concerned they won't be able to visualize my other er, stuff in there w/o dilating me?  Did you see an Opthamologist or just an Optometrist?  I know that my Optho. will do an in depth exam of everything - pressure, optic nerve, retina - everything.  Usually the eye doc (Opto) will just do a quick check and has never ever dilated me.  I am supposed to see the MD once a year since I do have Lyme and the excess floaters, but I'm late on my in depth eye exam since I got pregnant.  I last saw them for flashing lights, diplopia, and a lovely conjunctival cyst. Then he sent me to a Neuro-optho! My eyes hate me. The Neuro told me I had good optic nerves but loads of floaters - she even did a u/s on my eyes!! I also have un-even pupils. 

One Optometrist once told me I had really large pupils so he could see better and didn't need to dilate me (didn't make any sense to me since they'd get smaller once the light shines on them, but whatev...).

I don't even know if I want to go in now.  I'm just thinking it might be hormones or a lyme flare.  Maybe I'll give it one more week. Thanks for the input!  I just don't like these eye changes.

#6 of 6 Old 03-12-2011, 11:37 AM

I'd call and ask. I hate wondering. :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page