Cloth Diaper Brands - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 80 Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm sure I'm repeating this topic, but can't seem to find a thread about it.

Advice please for the best brands of cloth diapers?  We tried about 5 different kinds with DS, including G-diapers, kushies, traditional folded diapers with covers, and I forget the others-- all of them leaked.  Idk, maybe DH had an unusually strong pee stream? lol.  This time, we're having a little girl, and I'd like to try again with the cloth. 

Any strong opinions on the best leak-proof brands out there?

#2 of 80 Old 03-17-2011, 07:21 PM

Whoo boy you're going to get a ton of responses!!  I'm interested to hear them, too.  

I've got a ton of Kissaluvs in O and Thirsties covers that I didn't fall head over heels in love with last time, but am going to give another shot, maybe with a different brand of cover.  Prefolds with covers always, ALWAYS leaked with DD.

I've also got a bunch of Fuzzibunz that I'll use on this baby.  Never had leaks with those.  And the newer looking FB OSes with all the different size adjustment settings look pretty amazing.  I might grab a few of those to try out.

I keep seeing these GroVia diapers that look pretty darn cool.  Anyone try those?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 80 Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 PM

I haven't tried the Grovia (or any diapers for that matter yet), but on another board I'm on, they didn't get very high reviews.

I'm planning on getting one or two of each kind, and then once baby is here, seeing what works best. In the cloth diapering group I'm in on another forum, it seems what works best is different for everyone, depending on baby's weight, shape, etc.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#4 of 80 Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 PM

GROVIA'S ARE AMAZING! I just recently got them, and I love them!! I have the AI2's and one AIO. I like both, but the AI2 can be used longer . You can change just the insert and not the shell. The new inserts have a waterproof backing, so the shell won't get wet at all unless the soaker leaks. 

My favorite diapers are: Nifty Nappy fitteds with a cover(wool, PUL, fleece...), prefolds(for newborns), and the Grovia's!

Nifty Nappy's are the MOST absorbent fitted I've used! I'm so sad that they are out of business now though :(

I like prefolds with covers for newborns because they fit trimmer and are cheap. I don't like spending SO much money on sized diapers that will only fit for a short time. I buy prefolds for newborns and one size for the rest of the time. I can use the same diapers on both my kids that way too.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#5 of 80 Old 03-17-2011, 07:30 PM

Oh and I love Econobums because they are cheap and the simple covers work GREAT!

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#6 of 80 Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Cloth diapers are so hard to recommend, b/c every baby's tushie is different, and every mama's (and papa's) style & habits are different!

For us, the best combo was plain old DSQ (diaper service quality) prefolds, with mostly PUL covers (gussets essential for newborns!), and some wool covers/longies. In addition we had a few pockets, a few fitteds, and a few AIOs. I like fitteds, but different ones fit well at different stages, and I didn't have any NB ones last time, that's something I'm going to try to get a few more of this time!

Mostly I would buy ONE of a new kind to see if it worked,I liked it, etc. Some babies can't tolerate synthetic material next to skin, some babies need that 'wick away' feeling you only really get from synthetics,some poor babies don't like bamboo!

Aside from my few Thirsties covers, I buy/bought most of my diapers on Hyenacart from WAHMs. Many of the ones I've bought in the past have closed shop now, so I'm looking for new favourites! I like http://hyenacart.com/PianissimoCloth/index.php?c=9 and have worked with Elizabeth before, as well as bought stuff from her family's woodworking business, they are great to deal with, fast response times & on time orders!

~SynEpona~
#7 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 05:57 AM

We've tried just about everything (pockets, AIOs, prefolds, fitteds, hybrids---not flats, though)  in the last six years and have liked pretty much everything, but cost keeps sending us back to prefolds and covers.  I WISH we could afford a whole stash of beautiful AIOs, but that's probably not gonna happen!  greensad.gif

My favorite covers for prefolds or fitteds are these:

Wonder Wraps

I loved them because of the insanely strong Aplix and adjustability (they fit from 9-35 pounds, and they seem to last forever, so they're a great value). 

As far as leaks go, I found that the fold makes all the difference.  With my two boys in prefolds, we never had leaks as long as we did a newspaper-type fold (great since boys tend to wet more in front). 

This video is very helpful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP9SB5peNuw

Prefolds are by far the cheapest route (other than making your own out of found objects), and I have loved how we have a tremendous supply of retired diapers as the world's best cleaning rags.  

Both my kids were exclusively cloth diapered, so I'm the crazy mama who takes diapers on vacation and washes them at the hotel.  Which sort of limits our options for staying places, because they need to have a guest laundry. . .   lol.gif  Frugality win! 

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#8 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 AM

For use under longies I use kissaluvs.  My favorite diaper is Fuzzi Bunz, but I haven't tried other pocket diapers.  I think I am going to try Bum Genius this time around.  This is my very favorite diaper ever -  even my husband said if they made it in adult sizes he'd wear it lol.  It's THAT soft.  http://www.jamtots.com/BerryPlush-All-in-Ones-or-Covers-C41.aspx

#9 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 06:02 AM

DDCC

I've yet to find a man-made diaper that holds DS's urine (especially at naps/nighttime). We use Fuzzi Bunz (and our entire stash is seconds FWIW) and love them. We're having another boy, and we're just expecting more leaks at night, and preparing accordingly...

Me: femalesling.GIFDH: fuzmalesling.gifDD: hearts.gifDS1: superhero.gifDS2: babyboy.gif
lactivist.gifsaynovax.gifsigncirc1.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifsewmachine.gifribboncesarean.gifribboncesarean.gifvbac.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 06:21 AM

I wonder if you have repellency issues?  How are you washing?  Fleece is susceptible to buildup. . . if you sprinkle water on your diaper and it beads up, stripping would probably help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca_howell View Post

DDCC

I've yet to find a man-made diaper that holds DS's urine (especially at naps/nighttime). We use Fuzzi Bunz (and our entire stash is seconds FWIW) and love them. We're having another boy, and we're just expecting more leaks at night, and preparing accordingly...

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#11 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 06:45 AM

We used Fuzzi Bunz to begin with with Nik.  I liked them, until we ended up with that stink that seems to naturally come eventually with synthetics and I coudl never get rid of it....and I tried everything.  I started using fitteds and wool and fell in love.  This time around I'm making all of the fitteds myself, some from organic cotton, the rest from a variety of fabrics including bamboo velour.  I will not be sewing fleece into any other diapers, though, because I want to do everything I can to avoid the stink.  If baby requires a stay dry inner I'll cut fleece pieces to size and lay them in so that thay can be tossed or boiled if they start to stink.  I'm going to keep some PUL covers around for when we go out, but we're home a lot of the time, so the covers will mostly be wool ones.

Anyway, if you couldn't deduce from my post lol.gif........I recommend mostly natural fibers, fitted diapers, and wool covers.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#12 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 AM

Being a very budget conscious mamma (and having almost no money when DS was born) we went with prefolds, snappi fasteners & Econobum one size covers. We did use throw away diapers for the first few weeks though. I have found that when DH changes a diaper it is more likely to leak, as he doesn't get the fold as tight as me and isn't as good at making sure ALL of the diaper stays inside the cover. We use home made laundry detergent and after 9 months of constant use have never had detergent build up in the diapers. The Econobum covers are fantastic for containing whatever DS has thrown at it, including the explosive bowel movements when he was suffering from lactose overload, as long as ALL of the diaper is inside the cover.

When DS got to about 6 months or so we added a few extra diapers for using overnight, as he sleeps 11-12 hours at night. I tried FB onesize & Kawaii Baby onesize first, as I got the KB free when I ordered the FB. I loved both for different reasons. I love the adjustable elastic on the FB onesize diapers, but also love the fold over flap on the KB onesize. Then I ordered 3 Charlie Banana onesize diapers from Target. They seemed to be the best of both the other diapers. They have adjustable leg elastic and a fold over flap that can be used with cloth inserts and disposable inserts. We double insert for DS for night time use with all of these and they really ALL work well at keeping him dry for 12 hours overnight.

For this new LO we will again start with prefolds (although we will probably get just one box of throw away diapers for that first week or so of sticky meconium) although this time I'm making tie-on diapers (like Disana) so we don't have to keep buying snappi fasteners, and hopefully I'll be starting to knit some wool soakers once my first batch of wool arrives, so we don't have to use the PUL covers as much. Then once this LO starts to sleep longer at night we'll switch to the FB onesize diapers etc again for overnight use.

We will have at least a few months with both in diapers so I'm glad we had the sense to buy a large stash of prefolds when we were expecting DS, as we won't have to buy more prefolds this time around.

I do think the keys to using prefolds is getting the right fold for your baby (the snappi helps me keep this in place), and making sure the diaper stays absorbent and completely covered by whatever cover is being used.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#13 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 07:03 AM

The BEST nighttime diapers are Very Baby Simply Nights.  We went through every other diaper/cover combo imaginable and nothing worked for DS when he was an all-night-nurser and super heavy wetter.  I swear, his diapers weighed 10 pounds in the morning!  But the VBSN with a wool cover like a Lana never leaked.  Never ever.  It was an absolute miracle.  We had two hemp VBSN diapers and a bamboo one.  The hemp ones held up much better, the bamboo ones lost their stretch after about 18 months and are now hard to use.  We used them every night for 2 years.  While they look a little worn now, they still work fine.  We ordered ours from Blue Lake Diapers.  She will make them custom for you, so you can add things like moisture-wicking microfleece on the inside to keep baby dry, extra doublers, customize snap/fleece colors, etc.  They're pricey ($35 or so for one with all the extra options), but the sizes last a long time and you save money in the end by having a diaper that actually works all night.  We got by with just 2 VBSN diapers for a long time, and just diaper laundry every other day.  

We also adore Tinkle Trap fitteds.  They are reasonably priced, super cute, and hold up GREAT.  The sizes, like VBSN, seem to last a long while.  We bought a medium fitted for DS when he was about 14 months old, which still works now (he is skinny).  He has loads of room to grow in the Larges.  T.T. also have pre-fitted diapers, of which we have a few.  Basically, it's like a skinny prefold with elastic at the waist and tabs to wrap around baby's waist and snappi or pin on.  Cheap, all natural cotton, easy to use.

For lower-rise fitteds, LoveyBums are a good choice.  Top quality, no leak issues.  I like using these with my Thirsties covers, which seem to work best with lower-rise diapers.  Their wool covers are also nice, and tend to be a little less expensive than other top-known brands.  I've usually ordered "seconds" from the loveybums site, and I can never find the flaw.  We've used ours for almost 2 years.

We used FuzziBunz and liked them ok.  I didn't like how the fleece part of the pocket would "creep out" of the elastic in back and wick moisture onto DS's clothes.  But, apparently most people love them, so it must just be us :)  I did like that the Smalls seemed to last forever.  The one-sized ones seemed too bulky, more bulky than BumGenius OS.

We had a lot of Bum Genius 3.0s, which have gotten loads of use.  We like them a lot.  At the time, there was no option to get them with snaps, as there is now.  I would definitely only buy snapping BG.  The velcro totally wore out on ours.  I converted some of them to snaps myself (a total pain for a slow crafter like me).  But, then I learned that the maker of Tinkle Trap diapers will do snap conversions for $1.75 each.  I immediately sent her the rest of my BG's, and she completely revived them!  I had my own snaps from KAM Snaps, which are made to match the BG colors (and also got me a hefty discount on my conversion).  We'll get years more use out of them with baby #2.  What I liked about BG is that they were easy to teach grandparents and sitters how to use.  Other people seem to be more intimidated by prefolds and fitteds.

I would not invest in a lot of diapers like FuzziBunz or BG until I knew that my baby wasn't sensitive to the microfleece.  We've never had trouble, but I know some kids do.

For this baby we'll get a good stash of infant prefolds and covers until s/he fits in our old BG.  I'll most likely order from Green Mountain.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#14 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

We use home made laundry detergent and after 9 months of constant use have never had detergent build up in the diapers.

I was wondering how you make your detergent. I made home made detergent for awhile but I didn't feel like it got my clothes clean and it kind of had a weird smell.. If you wouldn't mind sharing your recipe I would appreciate it!

This being our first baby I am overwhelmed with the choices of cloth. We definitely have decided we want to go with cloth but it is sometimes overwhelming. I found this site and they offer a cloth trial. I like that you get a variety of diapers so maybe I can find one that I really love. Have any of you ladies heard of this trial program and if so how is it? http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/tryclothfor10  They also have a newborn trial which I am probably going to go with and then just purchase a few different types before baby comes. http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/products/clothdiapers/tryclothfor10/newborntryclothdiapersfor10

I have no friends who cloth diaper and most of them have acted shocked when I tell them I will be using cloth. So I don't really have anyone to take advice from. So any advice you ladies have I am listening!

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#15 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

Do you have a LLL group near you?  Or an API group?  Those are other good places to go to see cloth diapers in person and get feedback from mamas.

I remember being completely overwhelmed by the choices 3 years ago (and now it seems like there are even MORE choices!).  The trial deal seems like a good option.  I have ordered from Jillian's Drawers before and I liked the company.  What was overwhelming was that I'd hear that so and so LOVED a certain brand, but then I'd read a million reviews and worry when I read that someone else HATED the same brand.  I've found, though, that I've been pretty content with almost every diaper I've tried.  What I didn't love I sold on Craigslist for a decent price.  In fact, I had bought those diapers gently used on CL, and after deciding I didn't love them, I resold them for the same price!

Unless your baby has special diapering needs like microfleece sensitivity or super chunky thighs that don't fit in most diapers, etc., you will probably be content with most diapers, too.  Try buying one or two of a certain brand at a time to see which ones seem easiest to use and care for.  

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#16 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 07:56 AM

I am also one of those intense cloth diaper people who never uses disposables.  Not even at the hospital or while on vacation.

I pretty much exclusively used fuzzi bunz for my first dd.  We had ordered this huge mixed diaper package from somewhere and got ripped off on it.  So out of frustration I gave up and just ordered fuzzi bunz.  Me and my family loved them.  I converted a lot of people to cloth thanks to fuzzi bunz.  And I love how creative one can get with stuffing them in a pinch (dish rags).

For my ds I used a lot of indian prefolds and covers (I liked anything bummis and hated pro-wraps, but those wonder wraps mentioned above look interesting).  But also had a stash of fuzzi bunz.

I have experimented with all of the main brands (thirsties, bumpkins, kissuluvs, happy heinies, etc) and I don't remember any of them ever wowing me if they didn't just suck and leak everywhere.  The only diaper I have ever hated was bumgenius, but even that one got used until ds outgrew it.  I personally have never been all that into fitteds and covers, but some people swear by them for newborns.

For this baby it will be fuzzi bunz, prefolds, bummis covers, a wool cover, I will maybe experiment with some other covers, and I'd like to try out some of the new aio's just for fun.

So if I had to recommend one kind of diaper, it would be fuzzi bunz.  Though I know so many people who hate them, so I get nervous recommending them to people.  I also have not tried the one-sized ones that seem to be so popular now.  And I did get the occasional stink issue and things like that, but it was never anything I couldn't handle, and I get overwhelmed easily so that's saying something. 

Good luck. :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#17 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM

I have a funny story:  I have a friend who went on vacation with her baby and cloth diapers, and she didn't have a way to wash them before she went home, so she just put them in the wetbag and packed them.  At the airport they got pulled out of line to have their bags searched, and when the TSA agent got to that suitcase she said, "Um, you probably don't want to open that one."  Of course the TSA agent did, and regretted it. . . I'm sure he went home that night and told his family about all the crazies in the world.  lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I am also one of those intense cloth diaper people who never uses disposables.  Not even at the hospital or while on vacation.

#18 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

The BEST nighttime diapers are Very Baby Simply Nights.  We went through every other diaper/cover combo imaginable and nothing worked for DS when he was an all-night-nurser and super heavy wetter.  I swear, his diapers weighed 10 pounds in the morning!  But the VBSN with a wool cover like a Lana never leaked.  Never ever.  It was an absolute miracle.  We had two hemp VBSN diapers and a bamboo one.  The hemp ones held up much better, the bamboo ones lost their stretch after about 18 months and are now hard to use.  We used them every night for 2 years.  While they look a little worn now, they still work fine.  We ordered ours from Blue Lake Diapers.  She will make them custom for you, so you can add things like moisture-wicking microfleece on the inside to keep baby dry, extra doublers, customize snap/fleece colors, etc.  They're pricey ($35 or so for one with all the extra options), but the sizes last a long time and you save money in the end by having a diaper that actually works all night.  We got by with just 2 VBSN diapers for a long time, and just diaper laundry every other day.  

We also adore Tinkle Trap fitteds.  They are reasonably priced, super cute, and hold up GREAT.  The sizes, like VBSN, seem to last a long while.  We bought a medium fitted for DS when he was about 14 months old, which still works now (he is skinny).  He has loads of room to grow in the Larges.  T.T. also have pre-fitted diapers, of which we have a few.  Basically, it's like a skinny prefold with elastic at the waist and tabs to wrap around baby's waist and snappi or pin on.  Cheap, all natural cotton, easy to use.

For lower-rise fitteds, LoveyBums are a good choice.  Top quality, no leak issues.  I like using these with my Thirsties covers, which seem to work best with lower-rise diapers.  Their wool covers are also nice, and tend to be a little less expensive than other top-known brands.  I've usually ordered "seconds" from the loveybums site, and I can never find the flaw.  We've used ours for almost 2 years.

Those tinkle traps and loveybums are too cute!  You may have just converted me to fitteds lol.

#19 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Oh and I don't like aplix at all. I'm a big fan of snaps!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#20 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oh and I don't like aplix at all. I'm a big fan of snaps!!

Ditto!

#21 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 09:44 AM

for newbies I make tiny fitteds...but I also love kissaluv 0's.  I'm using thisties covers this time...my old proraps are toast after three kiddos!  For older ones I love the fitteds I make, with either wool or thirsties duo snap covers.  Never been a fan of AIO or pockets...BUT I bought some kawaii diapers (theluvyourbaby.com) and LOVE them on dd3!  They are one-size and have worn wonderfully. They come with two inserts, so are bulletproof for nighttime.  Never had a leak.  Better than the bumgenius we have in fact.  And they're SUPER cheap.  I've also heard great things about sunbaby diapers too...also VERY cheap   The downside is that they ARE made in China, but for someone that can't afford brand-name and needed some travel dipes, these were great. :)

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#22 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 11:00 AM

I just got 24 brand new fuzzi buns AIO one size for $305 on Ebay (over 140 dollars in savings) ...the gal that had them was given them by her "hippie" mother and didn't want to even try them....I wish I had a mom like that!!!! But...in any case...I am so excited to put these on my rainbow baby....I've never seen cooler diapers and I've clothed all five of my boys! These are amazing...so cuddly looking! I love the snaps...I hate velcro...it always scratched my boys chubby legs badly. I say look on Ebay! You never know what kinds of amazing deals you can get there. The fuzzi bunz I got are all cream colored, and though I would have liked a rainbow assortment...I just couldn't say no to saving that much cash.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#23 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM

That's a great deal on FB!

I want to buy diapers SO bad...like now!

#24 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 11:24 AM

We use prefolds and covers but you really just have to find what works for your little one best, of course :) 

#25 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM

Gah! That is my opinion!! :D

We are going to be using a diaper service because I know me and want someone else to do the washing up.

So they'll send out: http://www.babydiaperservice.net/rentalpricingguide.html

I'm looking at covers. They all look the same to me!

Econobums, Flips.. I'm now looking at Gen-Y (really cute fabrics!) but am feeling lost. And I have major Pregnant Brain lately so  it's like I can't process things. (like, you know, how to pay a $7.50 bill while giving a dollar tip. Really.)

So were there any covers for boring diapers like mine that you really hated? Total rip off? I seem better at avoiding than picking ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#26 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 PM

We use prefolds and thirsties covers fir DD. The I have had to resew the aplix, but otherwise they have held up well. I'm thinking about trying some rumparoos for this babe. Have any of you used them. They have a cool internal gusset that looks like it would help with leaks and I can get them with snaps.

I have also used bum genius at my parents and they worked well for DD.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#27 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

So they'll send out: http://www.babydiaperservice.net/rentalpricingguide.html

I'm looking at covers. They all look the same to me!

Econobums, Flips.. I'm now looking at Gen-Y (really cute fabrics!) but am feeling lost. And I have major Pregnant Brain lately so  it's like I can't process things. (like, you know, how to pay a $7.50 bill while giving a dollar tip. Really.)

So were there any covers for boring diapers like mine that you really hated? Total rip off? I seem better at avoiding than picking ;)

I can't tell...can you only use the ones offered by the diaper service?  Do you wash your own covers?

For covers and a first time cloth diapering parent, I would just buy one of each in small and see what you like.  Like maybe a bummis or two, a prowrap, a thirsties, something wool for nights, then one or two wahm type covers and you got the six or so that you'll need in size small (or newborn, but I always skip that size and just buy small). 

This will be my third time cloth diapering and that's my plan for covers.  I want to re-try everything (except for pro-wraps probably) and experiment with some new stuff since it all changes every few years.  Hopefully find some nice covers with snaps since I prefer that to velcro.  As far as covers go, they all seem to get the job done so that's not something to stress about at all. :)

#28 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I can't tell...can you only use the ones offered by the diaper service?  Do you wash your own covers?

For covers and a first time cloth diapering parent, I would just buy one of each in small and see what you like.  Like maybe a bummis or two, a prowrap, a thirsties, something wool for nights, then one or two wahm type covers and you got the six or so that you'll need in size small (or newborn, but I always skip that size and just buy small). 

This will be my third time cloth diapering and that's my plan for covers.  I want to re-try everything (except for pro-wraps probably) and experiment with some new stuff since it all changes every few years.  Hopefully find some nice covers with snaps since I prefer that to velcro.  As far as covers go, they all seem to get the job done so that's not something to stress about at all. :)

You have to use their diapers and wash your own covers.

Thank you! That is helpful. Also, Gen-Y Universal has red covers with black skulls and flowers - so cute!! Dusty says they're dorky. Do we need dignified baby butts? :P

I will do that, though, that seems very reasonable. Sampling.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#29 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Thirsties Duo Wraps are a good investment.  They come in two sizes, 6-18 pounds and 18-35 (?) pounds.  You adjust the rise with snaps, so each cover has 3 sizes built in.  They have leg gussets, too, which are a must-have for breast fed poops!

#30 of 80 Old 03-18-2011, 02:27 PM

With DS, I used Kissaluvs for the first few newborn weeks and then switched to a combo of Bum Genius 3.0 OS/AIO and Mother Ease OS with ME Air Flow covers.  I can truly say that Mother Ease is by far my favorite.  They never leak and have fit DS at every stage of his babyhood.  I know some mamas who have used them exclusively from the get-go and they even work for the tiny newborn weeks.  Now, DH likes BGs better because they are all in one.  He thinks it's easier to have just one layer to put on a wriggling babe than to have to deal with a cover.  I don't like them quite as much just because the APLIX has pretty worn out over the last 20 months of heavy usage.  I plan to use the same stash of Kissaluvs, BGs and MEs for this baby as well. 

HOPEFULLY ds will get over his fear of the toilet soon and I can get going on potty training...sheesh!  I have enough a big enough stash for two in diapers at once, but what a nightmare of laundry that will be!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page