Mothering Forum banner

One large baby shower or two smaller ones...

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ShannonPerkins001 
#1 ·
So I'm very fortunate to have a mess of people wanting to throw me showers. Everyone is so happy for me. They know how long I had to wait to have this little one and they are all genuinely excited for me. :) I am having a shower back home in Massachusetts with my family and long time friends. I am also having a shower here in New Mexico where I now live (for the last 9 years). Almost all the people on the invite list in NM are current or past coworkers. Not just casual coworkers, but people I would really want to celebrate with. The invite list is sort of chunked with about 1/2 from my old workplace and 1/2 from my new workplace (same school district, but different side of town). I have two people wanting to host (well more than that, but they are the two main people). One from the old workplace and one from the new. They know each other well. They can host together or they can do two separate smaller ones.

What do you think is better? The advantage of having two is that it's more intimate, people don't have to watch me open gifts from 25 people, and I get to look forward to two parties. Plus, the hostesses will have an easier time and it will cheaper if she isn't having to do it all. In addition, the old coworkers are probably happiest mingling with old coworkers and new with new.

FYI, there is no political stuff to worry about...nobody will have feelings hurt either way. I could explain all the details of how this came up, but I didn't want to make it 10 pages long. :)

See less See more
#3 ·

#4 ·
Hmm. How far apart would they be? How late in your pregnancy? For me it would depend. If it wasn't going to happen until July, I'd have just the one. I wouldn't want to have to get dressed up and be "on" more than one time that late in the game. But one in May and one in June? Perfect.

#5 ·
My Massachusetts one is May 15. The other would be early June. The third would also be May/June, but it would probably be much more casual like after work...or starting near the end of the work day and extending after that. If I end up with three (lucky girl), it would be like this:

1. Massachusetts - old friends and family (about 20-25 people) and it's at a facility with catered food (actually the same place and room I had my wedding shower
smile.gif
)

2. NM shower #1 - old coworkers and friends (about 12 people) at one of their houses on a weekend (I think)

3. NM shower #2 - new coworkers and friends (about 18-20 people) at our place of work on a workday

That's the likelihood anyway. Otherwise, #1 stays the same and #2 would be combined with 3 and likely on a weekend at someone's house.

I'm trying not to get too involved in any of the planning because I stress about decisions easily and I'm just happy to be having a baby.

Thanks so much for the input. I think I'll go with 3 since they are giving me the choice.

#6 ·
That's so funny. I'm having a Massachusetts shower with family on May 7th when I go back to visit my grandparent. Then I have 2 different groups that want to throw me a shower here in Nevada as well.

I was thinking that might just be too much shower for me but in the long run, I think it would be easiest for everyone involved. I went to a huge shower once and the gift opening was never ending. I mean it literally went on for hours so on that note I think two early small intimate showers would be better.

I think you would have more time to mingle/socialize with each group. I like a personalized feel to a shower, not just a mass production but that's just me.

#7 ·
The advantage to having a big shower, is that it really is a party. For you! Old coworkers will find each other, new coworkers will find each other. But just like you wouldn't have two weddings (obviously a larger deal, but still, or maybe you would...), it seems like it's just so much more fun to have ALL the love in one place.

You can always open presents after the shower is over, too. And for me, well, I hate shower games. And I love looking at baby stuff. It's fun to see what the new mama and baby are getting. That could just be me though...

#10 ·
If I'm going to choose for between the two of them, I will choose to have a large celebration, just to make it as one. My friends told me that having two or more showers will make you look greedy since you will receive tons of gifts from people. Well, I guess it's just depends on your situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.