I'll just ask... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 62 Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm hoping that this thread isn't in violation of any board rules.  If it is, mods please remove it!  I'm not trying to be inappropriate, I'm just really, genuinely wanting to know.  So maybe a TMI alert, at least?

Here goes...

What the heck do you do with your bush?  Not the hedges, but your lady hedge?

I normally try to keep things... er... trim, I guess?  Although I will admit that I had slacked in the winter.  I wasn't going to the pool or anything.  And of course, this pregnancy started in this winter, and one thing led to another.  And as I was showering this morning, I came to the conclusion that I could probably french-braid it.

Sigh.

My predicament is, I don't have the money for a wax, and I've honestly never been fond of the process.  I tend to just trim with an electric trimmer, and leave it at that.  Make sure that anything that might peek out of my swimsuit gets gone, and, well, I just don't like a bare look on myself.  But my belly is really starting to be in the way now...  I don't think I could really do a great job.  It's already an uncomfortable process when I'm not pregnant, and now...  I don't know if I can physically do it.  I was big pregnant with DS in the winter/early spring, so I just let everything go.    But we're approaching summer, and I'm bound to want to wear a swimsuit at some point.  And while the whole "your hair grows longer and faster" aspect of pregnancy doesn't seem to be affecting my head at all, it is certainly affecting other parts of my anatomy.

Basically, how do you, uh, take care of things in the summertime when you can't comfortably navigate?  In 5 more weeks I'm going to be big, I can tell.  Am I just doomed to wearing long shorts and never swimming this summer?  I liked going to the pool in my last few months of pregnancy with DS, but I got around it by just wearing board shorts.  But I'm kind of worried.

Again, totally not trying to be offensive here.  But help a mama out!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#2 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 04:48 AM

bahahaha!  I don't know mama, my last baby was a winter baby so I didn't have to worry about it.  Maybe get DH to help?  Idk, but I'm curious to solve the problem myself-- it hadn't occurred to me until I saw this thread!

#3 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Good question. I've also let it grow out during the winter and hadn't put much thought into it until recently, when I too noticed it's getting rather... lion-esque. I guess I assumed I would just shave the edges as usual, since I do it half by feel anyway (shaving upward from my inner thigh). Doing it all by feel can't be all that difficult... right?

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#4 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:30 AM

I can't let mine grow - my hair is straight and it forms an itchy "mohawk" of doom in the middle of I do.

If you don't really care how it looks, you can use my technique for a bit (you don't need to see) where you get a pair of kids scissors (no cutting skin!) and just reach down with one hair, grab a hunk of hair and cut. It keeps the length good, but can sometimes make you look like you have mange - fine for swimsuits! Keeps it out of the way.

Or go the "honey, fix it!" route. They can always see better anyway. :)

I don't think waxing is a good plan - increased blood volume + ripping of skin/hair = horror movie.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#5 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:44 AM

I have personal issues with body hair on myself...just don't feel clean if I have any...so I shave everything bare from the neck down. My danties are definitely a challenge as pregnancy progresses, but it isn't impossible! I'm already at a point where I can't see everywhere I want to go, and soon it will be that way completely. I generally just feel around to see where I am missing and touch up from there. Mirrors are helpful too. It isn't easy going blind, but it can be done.

I will admit though, I have been doing this daily for 15 years and I still miss a spot now and then!

#6 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 09:20 AM

I shave by feel also. I'm too self conscious to get waxed!

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#7 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 AM

I also shave by feeling or kind of move my belly to the side if I can until it gets REALLY big. lol. With DH deployed and it being winter I have slacked a little too. If it gets too long though it starts to annoy me, so I have to trim every so often.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#8 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 01:32 PM

So glad to hear other people on this topic!  I shave everything, and I shave it every day.  I was wondering how difficult this could get when I get too big, and I can't have my husband do it because I do it every day (stubble drives me INSANE-I even shave my legs everyday).  I'm trying to do it mostly by feeling, I think practice makes perfect-so hopefully it won't become a problem!

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#9 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 03:06 PM

Another one here who shaves by feel!   But, ha, Becky, I also do the "grab a hunk and cut" for the front!

I'm just too ticklish for DH to shave me.  I remember asking him to try when I was pg with DD and I was #1 afraid he would nick me and #2 gigging uncontrollably (so #1 was probably very likely!)

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 03:33 PM

I use my husband's beard trimmers, then tidy up the sides and top with a razor. However, I am not afraid of waxing.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#11 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 PM

This is my fourth pregnancy having nothing more than a racing stripe down there.  It does get trickier to maintain lol, but it's very do-able.  I almost always shower and rarely bath so while standing I can usually just hold my belly with one hand and more it around as needed.  I also put one leg up on the wall and can get a better view that way.  I think that may be a slipping hazard for some people though.  I also squat sometimes and that helps my view of things.  Then because I have been shaving for so long I can also do a lot by feel like the other ladies here.  And there is always using a mirror if you are worried about missing spots. shy.gif

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#12 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 06:53 PM

Oh wow...I feel like such an ALIEN. jaw2.gif

I don't think I even knew that real women even did that. I mean...I knew it was the "vogue" thing...and I knew it was something some people opted to do...like super models and college students who still think they need to follow fashion...but I don't think I really took it seriously. At all.

I do NOT mean to be offensive....I am just....surprised. So please...understand that I am NOT judging. And so, I have my own questions to all of you...because you ALL seem to do it. ROTFLMAO.gif

See, the only person I know who has seemed concerned about this is my 15 year old neighbor. She once asked me to go with her to get waxed. I thought she meant her LEGS. So, I said "Sure sweetie...but...It's gonna hurt."

When that little woman at the spa asked her to pull her panties down, I was just like "Uh...wait a minute....WHAAAAAT?" and then, I thought...oh...she must be concerned about the tiny hairs near the panty line.

Nope.

I watched in complete horror as this young neighbor of mine CRIED real tears as her entire genital area was ripped clean of all her womanly hair and she left finger nail marks on my wrist from the pain. When it was all done, I was in shock, she was sobbing and she looked like a 12 year old to me. I felt like I'd just watched a horror movie. I took that poor girl straight to the health food store, got her some witch hazel and gentle calendula cream for the burn marks left behind and the swollen weeping skin that was left in the name of beauty. I told her mother it was like witnessing a voluntary rape. I'm not exaggerating. I was traumatized.

a month later my little neighbor asked if I'd go with her again as she'd found my presence so nurturing. I hugged her, looked her in the eye, and said "Sweetie...no way. I would never do that to myself...and I won't be the one to take you to get it done."

Then, I asked my guy if he wished I would stylize MY genitalia....He laughed and said "Sweetie...NO WAY!"

We then, my husband and I, worked on a research paper that directly correlated the massive increase in pedophilia with the up-rise in hair removal...As in: why does fashion demand that womanly hair is unsavory, ugly and....unessential? Why do we promote the look of a 12 year old pre-teen in grown women? Who wants their grown woman to look like a pre-teen? Why do women put up with it? Why do we promote it? And why...oh WHY...do we do things to our bodies that actually HURT in the name of "beauty" or the preference of finding hairless bodies sexy...hairless bodies that look like pre-pubescent girls instead of the sexy hair that defines an adult woman?

I had to check myself out in the mirror in the middle of writing this. I see hair. Plenty of it. I never worry about it, and it never worries about me. I wear a swim suit. I often wear board shorts. I honestly can say that I find the little red dots left behind from ingrown hairs a lot more unsavory to look at at the swim park than a few stray pubic hairs. I do shave my legs, and my armpits if I think about it. I often don't think about it. I'm not a hippie, I'm just liberal and earthy. I do bathe every day. I don't smell or feel itchy. My husband finds me appealing. He likes my hair. He likes that I'm me, and that if we go camping, I'm low maintenance. I don't feel like a yeti. I remember a hair dresser trying to make me look prettier...she plucked my eyebrows to show me how "good I could look". Oh god...I felt so WEIRD and it HURT!!! . She told me my husband would never notice...oh how wrong she was. He took one look at me and said in a puzzled way "Why do you look like a mannequin?" I could not WAIT for my eyebrows to look normal again.

We often laugh about how much money we save because I'm not into the whole beauty thing. My biggest expense is conditioner and tinted lip gloss. I am totally not into pain. I won't wear high heels. ever. I'm offended by posters that indicate that I should opt to have my ass and hips reduced surgically by plastic surgeons instead of wearing looser jeans.

That being said......I'm not judging....so please don't take it that way. I'm just fascinated. TRULY. I just didn't know that so many earthy natural mamas did this. As a longtime writer of psychology issues and a people watcher, I'm just...totally fascinated. When did this become normal? I feel like I just stepped into a different time warp.

I'll just end with...Good for you for ASKING! I learn something new every day! Rainbow.gif ((HUG))
ElizabethE likes this.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#13 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 PM

I don't think that most of us get it ALL off! I just don't like the feeling of having SO much bush. LOL. I trim it and keep it short. I also wear a "bikini" I guess when I swim(even when pregnant). I wear a 2 piece, and the hair would show out the sides of the bottom if I didn't shave a little. 

ETA: I could never get it waxed either though!!! It would hurt too much for one, and two I'm not comfortable with anyone else down there really other than DH(except for having a baby. lol)

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#14 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 07:29 PM

I don't shave everyday or even every week, but when I do I shave everything. I don't really care either way, but my husband likes it better when it's shaved so I do it for him sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4bob View Post

I don't think that most of us get it ALL off! I just don't like the feeling of having SO much bush. LOL. I trim it and keep it short. I also wear a "bikini" I guess when I swim(even when pregnant). I wear a 2 piece, and the hair would show out the sides of the bottom if I didn't shave a little. 

ETA: I could never get it waxed either though!!! It would hurt too much for one, and two I'm not comfortable with anyone else down there really other than DH(except for having a baby. lol)

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#15 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 07:38 PM

DH likes is better when I am shaved or trimmed at least too. That's partly why I've let it go longer than normal now. He is deployed. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamera View Post

I don't shave everyday or even every week, but when I do I shave everything. I don't really care either way, but my husband likes it better when it's shaved so I do it for him sometimes.

#16 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I don't think that most of us get it ALL off! I just don't like the feeling of having SO much bush. LOL.

Yeah, I'm not asking about getting it all.  To each woman her own though!  It's not so flattering on me.  It's more just that if I were to try to wear a (pretty darn modest) swimsuit right now, it would look like Chewbacca was trying to escape my panties.  I don't remember it being this...er...prolific, with DS.  Sigh.

With all of you blind trimmers, I guess I'll have to suck it up and try it.  Curling down to try and look at what I'm doing is darn uncomfortable, and it's only going to get worse.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#17 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I've been shaving mine off since it started to grow in when I was twelve. I shave it (razor shaved to the skin), along with all (yes, all...ahem...lol) of my other body hair, even my arms, every single day. I hate the feeling of hair. It has nothing to do with wanting to look like a preteen, I just think body hair is unruly and itchy and I know for a fact it was nothing to do with society as NOBODY told me about shaving and my mom had a bush, I remember seeing it all the time. I was also not exposed to the internet at that point nor was I very into my appearance, heck, I still played with dolls at age twelve, dressed like a boy and ran around with a dirty face and messy hair. I also remember some of my friends being horrified when I told them I did it. HaHa. I just do not like hair. I will admit comments like "Why would a man want a woman to look like a preteen" do offend me, even more so in my pregnant state, to me it implies that my husband is some sort of pervert who likes little girls. (trust me with these long, huge, chewed up nipples there is no mistaking that I'm a woman) We are fairly kinky in the bedroom and hair just gets in the way. I ask him to trim things up as well because...well...yeah, gets in the way... redface.gif Oh and as far as red bumps from ingrown hair I would say, IME that is more prevalent when you are not accustomed to shaving daily, I have a system and can honestly not remember the last time I got ingrown hairs. 

OP sorry to get off topic of suggestions but maybe use like a beard trimmer and put one leg up on the vanity while looking in the mirror?? 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#18 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM

I wax the edges but I do it myself.  I just did it a week or so ago and I must say...it's getting challenging.  I told DH that he may have to take over.  He's afraid, says "I don't want to cause you pain." 

I'm French and quite hairy by nature so it can get out of control for me if I don't keep some maintenance going.  I really don't like the look of it poking out the sides or top of my undies--it drives me crazy!

I won't pay someone to do it!

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#19 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:10 PM

Honestly, Emerging Butterfly, after going through puberty, two pregnancies, and pushing two babies out of my vagina, there's nothing remotely prepubescent about my genital region, with or without hair.

I also have strong doubts about any definitive correlation between pedophilia and the trend of women removing their pubic hair.

#20 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:24 PM

I don't shave quite everything, but a little slip now that I am virtually blind down there and it might be everything. I trim what is left. I just feel cleaner... I definitely make sure to get cleaned up before camping trips since we don't go anywhere with a shower. I don't know that DH really has a preference, he is happy to see it any way it is! But I like it better. I guess I will try to keep doing it blind like the rest of you! I have never waxed and have no desire!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#21 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM

Man.

I don't shave anything through the winter because I don't like to and I've just started shaving my legs again for the warm weather. Yesterday I did it sitting down in the bath, just to midthigh, today I attempted the stand and bend..

To all of you who shave all sorts of parts every day, let me say I'm impressed! Gah. That was hard work with not enough oxygen to go around while I was bending!!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#22 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 PM

Honestly...I didn't mean to offend. I was just surprised...so I'm sorry if I offended ANYONE. I was just explaining my stance, my research based on my psychology background and that of my clinically practicing husband, and my personal bewildered view, but don't mean it to offend. So, please forgive me. It's as sociologically interesting to me as any cultural phenomenon. Again...my apologies.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#23 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 PM

Thanks for answering, I really didn't understand why people would do it either.  I only could think of "fashion" reasons to do it, and I (personally) find that to be a fashion that creeps me out.  But only if it's done because it's "hot" to not have any hair . . . that to me does imply a possible lurking pedophilia thing.  But it makes perfect sense that people would do it because it is cleaner, or neater, or easier to deal with.  And I wouldn't think that your man thinking you were hot meant anything bad about him, only that if my man really wanted me to get it waxed clean, I would have some pretty pointed questions about why.  Anyway, thanks for answering, this has been a mystery to me for a while, but those answers make sense.

Ack, sorry, I was DDCC - I didn't even look where this was, I thought it was just in the "I'm pregnant" section before I hit submit.  Oops.  Anyway, it was interesting.

On a farm with our kiddo (nearly 2), two dogs, two cats, ten goats, two donkeys, nine sheep, a bunch of chickens, and a husband (in the winters). We have another on the way!
#24 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Ha I don't think I shaved during the whole deployment except during R&R and the day before he got home.

Quote:

DH likes is better when I am shaved or trimmed at least too. That's partly why I've let it go longer than normal now. He is deployed. 

#25 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

Honestly...I didn't mean to offend. I was just surprised...so I'm sorry if I offended ANYONE. I was just explaining my stance, my research based on my psychology background and that of my clinically practicing husband, and my personal bewildered view, but don't mean it to offend. So, please forgive me. It's as sociologically interesting to me as any cultural phenomenon. Again...my apologies.

I know you didn't mean to offend and I am admittedly VERY sensitive these days. hug2.gifJust ask my DH. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hykue View Post

Thanks for answering, I really didn't understand why people would do it either.  I only could think of "fashion" reasons to do it, and I (personally) find that to be a fashion that creeps me out.  But only if it's done because it's "hot" to not have any hair . . . that to me does imply a possible lurking pedophilia thing.  But it makes perfect sense that people would do it because it is cleaner, or neater, or easier to deal with.  And I wouldn't think that your man thinking you were hot meant anything bad about him, only that if my man really wanted me to get it waxed clean, I would have some pretty pointed questions about why.  Anyway, thanks for answering, this has been a mystery to me for a while, but those answers make sense.

Ack, sorry, I was DDCC - I didn't even look where this was, I thought it was just in the "I'm pregnant" section before I hit submit.  Oops.  Anyway, it was interesting.

Do you see how it might be offensive to someone who DID think it looked better to not have hair to hear you say that it creeps you out or that there's a possible lurking pedophilia thing? I personally don't do it because I think it looks hot, (Though I do think *I* look hot naked, even with my weird pudge in my abdomen, veins on my stretch marked boobs & my huge feet...I just have a good body image and a doting husband, I guess) really I think the labia is just as bizarre looking as a penis, hair or not... but if someone thought theirs looked hot without hair or with I just don't know that I would feel comfortable casting a sweeping judgement upon them for being "Creepy" or "Pedophile-esque" See what I'm saying? Just like I wouldn't want someone to come to this thread and say they think people with pubic hair were dirty, to me it's the same offensive, ridiculous statement as the former. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, obviously, and like I said I'm very sensitive these days so feel free to ignore me!!! My husband is snoring away in bed and not being at all helpful with the stroller decision... Carry on! 

OH and Beckily, that reminds me of later in my second pregnancy when I decided I HAD to check my cervix (I know it tells you nothing...but try telling a crazy 9 mos pregnant woman that!!) and I just could not quite get my fingers to it. It was maddening and I was grunting and sweating and I swear my body was shaking with the effort. LOL. It was great. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#26 of 62 Old 04-09-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

I know you didn't mean to offend and I am admittedly VERY sensitive these days. hug2.gifJust ask my DH. 

Do you see how it might be offensive to someone who DID think it looked better to not have hair to hear you say that it creeps you out or that there's a possible lurking pedophilia thing? I personally don't do it because I think it looks hot, (Though I do think *I* look hot naked, even with my weird pudge in my abdomen, veins on my stretch marked boobs & my huge feet...I just have a good body image and a doting husband, I guess) really I think the labia is just as bizarre looking as a penis, hair or not... but if someone thought theirs looked hot without hair or with I just don't know that I would feel comfortable casting a sweeping judgement upon them for being "Creepy" or "Pedophile-esque" See what I'm saying? Just like I wouldn't want someone to come to this thread and say they think people with pubic hair were dirty, to me it's the same offensive, ridiculous statement as the former. Everybody is entitled to their opinion, obviously, and like I said I'm very sensitive these days so feel free to ignore me!!! My husband is snoring away in bed and not being at all helpful with the stroller decision... Carry on! 

OH and Beckily, that reminds me of later in my second pregnancy when I decided I HAD to check my cervix (I know it tells you nothing...but try telling a crazy 9 mos pregnant woman that!!) and I just could not quite get my fingers to it. It was maddening and I was grunting and sweating and I swear my body was shaking with the effort. LOL. It was great. 

That image utterly delights me :D Thank you! I'm going to have to do that!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#27 of 62 Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

I personally don't do it because I think it looks hot, (Though I do think *I* look hot naked, even with my weird pudge in my abdomen, veins on my stretch marked boobs & my huge feet...I just have a good body image and a doting husband, I guess) really I think the labia is just as bizarre looking as a penis, hair or not...

I've tried the full on shave a few times over the years (obviously not with this belly), and I just don't really like it on myself.  My labia don't look prepubescent to me at all when I do.  I just think they look more like duck lips.  I want to reach down and make them quack...  So I leave a good portion of hair in the front.

I've got some trimmers, but they're the close kind.  You can nick yourself if you're not careful.  I usually nick myself once or twice anyway even when I'm not pregnant, out of balance, and have a giant belly in the way.  I'm so clumsy lately I'm a bit fearful!  But it's getting to the point where I feel like I should be part of some hedge shaping competition.  DH is recovering from a slipped disc in his back, and he's been in so much pain for the last couple months that I can't even climb on top of him, so that's not as much the worry.  But he's on the mend and I'm lonely, and swimsuit weather is soon upon us...  Y'all get the idea -- lonely, clumsy, pregnant... hairy.

#28 of 62 Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I've tried the full on shave a few times over the years (obviously not with this belly), and I just don't really like it on myself.  My labia don't look prepubescent to me at all when I do.  I just think they look more like duck lips.  I want to reach down and make them quack...  So I leave a good portion of hair in the front.

I've got some trimmers, but they're the close kind.  You can nick yourself if you're not careful.  I usually nick myself once or twice anyway even when I'm not pregnant, out of balance, and have a giant belly in the way.  I'm so clumsy lately I'm a bit fearful!  But it's getting to the point where I feel like I should be part of some hedge shaping competition.  DH is recovering from a slipped disc in his back, and he's been in so much pain for the last couple months that I can't even climb on top of him, so that's not as much the worry.  But he's on the mend and I'm lonely, and swimsuit weather is soon upon us...  Y'all get the idea -- lonely, clumsy, pregnant... hairy.

Oh I totally, 100% see where you're coming from and I have PLENTY of friends who would never like the hairless look. I agree, it's an odd looking thing, truly. I wish I could design my own, I'd make it colorful and maybe resembling a cupcake or a rice krispy bar...wait...that's weird...but those sound delicious! This is probably TMI but I often look at mine..ahem...closely and my head tilts like a confused dog's might and I just wonder what a man finds interesting about it...it looks very weird to me, crevices and odd coloring...TMI indeed! 

The rest of your post made me laugh! In that case I agree with the others and the scissor idea for the bulk of it, just make sure you're holding the hair out and not the labia, because, ouch! For the sides a razor would do quite nicely and it's mostly leg and no "lips" in that area so not much damage can be done to make it swim-suit ready. Lonely, clumsy & pregnant...I got them all, include grumpy & weepy for this woman! lurk.gif

#29 of 62 Old 04-10-2011, 04:18 AM

Omg, duck lips and quacking!! biglaugh.gif  Laughing b/c it's so true!! HA!!

I'll have to cast my vote too for finding nothing prepubescent about a neatly trimmed and shaved bush.  I like my husband trimmed and neat too, and it's definitely not b/c I want him to look like a little boy!  It just means less hair to get in the way.  I know that's why I keep mine short, too.  But, the logic in that is skewed a little b/c I keep it short nmw, even on the rag (which is MUCH nicer to deal with, too, when the hairs are short or shaved off).  I think there are many, many reasons women choose to groom themselves, and mostly likely having a partner who is into young children is NOT the case.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#30 of 62 Old 04-10-2011, 04:55 AM

I had to throw in my perspective - being different, and all...

I stopped shaving my legs/armpits everywhere my sophomore year of college - period.  I got some looks, some people thought I was a lesbian, but I felt - why should I if men don't.  About 6 years of not shaving, my mom convinced me to get waxed (lack of dates in a less liberal town shifted my view).  Since then (about 8-9 years ago) I've gotten waxed periodically 1-4 tomes a year.  I wax my own armpits but they are more frequently hairy than bald. I will shave my legs if I have to wear a skirt because the hair is noticeable through stockings.  I've been bald down "there" maybe once.  I thought it felt weird and am not a fan of showing my privates fully to a esthetician, so I get a basic bikini wax.

I want to get waxed this spring.  I hope to wax my own legs and pay for the bikini area.  I'm scared it will hurt 10x more than before.  I plan to get waxed because I hope to use the pool at work and don't need to be hairy for my conservative co-workers.  When I was younger, I had less of a problem standing out for such vanity.  Now - I like to blend in at work...granted the big pregnant belly I expect in June will give me some leeway.

So not everyone shaves.

First Time Mom to Jonah Brian - born 7/21/11!  100% natural hospital birth.  EDD August 5th.  Married to James Lee on 2/29/08.  joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page