YEE HAW! We've got colostrum!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 04-15-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With DS, I think I had easily expressible colostrum by about 18 weeks.  DS is still sporadically nursing, but I've been unable to express anything since about 12 weeks into this pregnancy.  But every day in the shower I've been checking...  Still no colostrum, still no colostrum....  COLOSTRUM!!  YAY!!

I was beginning to wonder if my boobs were going to work.  I know it's outrageously dorky, but I am so darn giddy about the reappearance.  I know that it's totally normal to not be able to even express any, but I was always able to hand express 1/2 tsp (yes, I measured) or so a few times a day during my first pregnancy.  So this makes me super excited.  I'm looking forward to being a prolific milk maker once again love.gif

Just thought I'd share.  And start another thread related to our lady bits, apparently.  What are your boobs up to?

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#2 of 34 Old 04-15-2011, 11:39 PM

Nothing yet! But congratulations! :D

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 04:22 AM

My bewbs turned on last week @ just shy of 22 weeks!! Some clear drops appear with just a little squeeze!! I'm insanely excited too. For me it was a tad bittersweet bc I'm not sure about being able to bf, but I can't dwell. They WORK!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 AM

I just tried and yep, mine work!! I'm almost 25w, but I haven't thought of trying before so I have no clue how long I've had this power :)

#5 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 10:43 AM

Nothing for me yet! I don't usually get much until late in the pregnancy or after birth even though.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#6 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 11:05 AM

I started to see tiny amount before 20 weeks, but right at 20, I dripped a little from both.  I haven't had many drip sessions, but I get drops fairly often. 

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#7 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 11:54 AM

I got a tiiiiiny drop of something from my right one. So I think they're not ready yet. But! Now I have a new form of entertainment - "Are the working yet??"

And Charlie is kicking the laptop. Bwahahah.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#8 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 12:04 PM

I actually started to get some when I squeeze just this week! last pregnancy I was actually leaking before I tested positive (which is what PUSHED ME to test!) but that might have something to do with the fact that my daughter had weaned 6 months prior. I haven't nursed for 3 years! Btw, this made me really happy. I posted previously that my breasts don't grown in pregnancy and now I am pretty convinced I do have IGT (the pictures of breast hypoplasia look like mine ugh), but I have successfully nursed with the help of galactagogues.
#9 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 02:29 PM

I haven't tried to squeeze any out, but my breasts definitely feel full and heavy.  Last night I dreamed that I gave birth on a train.  It was full of other women I know who were also laboring and having their babies.  It was so very realistic, and holding my beautiful daughter in my arms felt so real that when I woke up this morning it felt incredibly strange that she wasn't already here.  I even had that milk letdown feeling, and my breasts felt extra heavy for a couple of hours. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#10 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 09:53 PM

I started getting some at about 23ish weeks. It makes me super giddy, too!!

Wifey buddamomimg1.png to DH jammin.gif, Mama chicken3.gif to DS 8, DS 6, DD 1

homeschool.gif   lactivist.gif    h20homebirth.gif    goorganic.jpg

#11 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 10:05 PM

Well, I haven't checked yet, but am really hoping that they'll start leaking soon...maybe my just turned 2 yo will start nursing again. She didn't even know how to try today.

#12 of 34 Old 04-16-2011, 10:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Am I the only one who is not wanting to start leaking? HaHa! I've nursed for over three years and while I love nursing I also love the freedom of wearing no bra to bed... :D

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#13 of 34 Old 04-17-2011, 07:07 AM

i'm not sure what all's going on with my boobs but i know that my son isnt enjoying eating them as much haha.. so im betting the taste has changed lately. my son just turned 1 on 4-7.. and hes still nursing. i am weaning him off so about 3-4 times a day now and thats it thankfully. i also have a 4 and 3 yr old and am 22 weeks preg.. this is my last thank God. :) i also have an angel baby.. so my boobs are doing things im sure haha

#14 of 34 Old 04-17-2011, 07:34 AM

Nothing yet (25w). But I'm hoping I get something this time. Last pregnancy I never had anything either, but then I also had horrible difficulties b/f at first... So I'm hoping everything starts working early this time. 

#15 of 34 Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Dumb question...how to you check?  Do you just squeeze the very tip or do you go further back and pull forward or what?  Dumb question I know.  It hurts if I squeeze the nip itself even though my boobs aren't generally sore.  I want something to come out!! :)  I'm 24 wks, 2 days with my first. 

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#16 of 34 Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

Dumb question...how to you check?  Do you just squeeze the very tip or do you go further back and pull forward or what?  Dumb question I know.  It hurts if I squeeze the nip itself even though my boobs aren't generally sore.  I want something to come out!! :)  I'm 24 wks, 2 days with my first. 

http://www.lactationconsultant.info/basics5.html

I didn't read it, just looked at the pictures ;) Things I read say not to pull on the areola or nipple as it hurts (and it does!)

We're not really due to have things coming out for another month or so. You and I got pregnant about the same day, btw! :)

Becky

Married to Dusty

#17 of 34 Old 04-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

http://www.lactationconsultant.info/basics5.html

I didn't read it, just looked at the pictures ;) Things I read say not to pull on the areola or nipple as it hurts (and it does!)

We're not really due to have things coming out for another month or so. You and I got pregnant about the same day, btw! :)

Ah ha...that would be why it hurt when I pinched it.  I figured it was a bit early for me.  Looking forward to it though...then I'll know these bad boys work!  Well, I should say "girls" instead of bad boys.  Thanks!

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#18 of 34 Old 04-18-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

I know how you feel. I'm 24 wks, 4 days and wondering where it is. i think it may take a little longer with the first one, just cause our bodies are doing this for the first time and learning along with us.

#19 of 34 Old 04-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Wow!  Well, I began feeling occasional moisture, too slight to see, in the last few days.  But squeezing a bit makes it clear that was no delusion!  Drops well up easily, and I am sure I could have gotten more.

How cool to see these supposedly useful appendages actually WORK!  I'll be 23 weeks, tomorrow.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#20 of 34 Old 04-18-2011, 03:30 PM

Well I followed the directions on that link and I got moisture...3 times now.  I made sure that I was totally dry, then I did it and low and behold, stuff came out.  Not a ton, but enough to get the wetness onto my finger.  Sooooo cool!!!!  The girls seem to be working!!!

#21 of 34 Old 04-18-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm almost 24 weeks and not leaking yet. However, if I try I can get a little wetness out of my right boob. I'm kind of worried about the left one working. It has always been super small and hasn't grown any since I got pregnant.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#22 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 02:27 AM

Wow, I had no idea it was so common to have colustrum so early. I haven't noticed anything yet, but haven't tried expressing either. My boobs are huge and sore though. I am in the uni computer lab now but seriously tempted to go to the bathroom and see right now! lol.gif

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#23 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

I'm almost 24 weeks and not leaking yet. However, if I try I can get a little wetness out of my right boob. I'm kind of worried about the left one working. It has always been super small and hasn't grown any since I got pregnant.

With DS I had this happen when I first started to produce colostrum, except my smaller side isn't super small. Yet when it came to actually nursing DS preferred to nurse from the smaller side, and when I expressed I always got more milk on the smaller side too. So I don't think you should be worried about it. Some women get nothing until after birth, which is when you need it anyway.

I'm only 21 weeks today and wasn't planning on checking any time soon, but this morning I noticed a slight crust on my right nipple, so I know I had a teeny tiny amount of leakage overnight last night, but like last time nothing showing up on my smaller left side. It'll probably start in a few weeks, as it was a few weeks behind last time too, but then became the preferred side for DS to nurse.

I am soooo excited to start nursing again when this baby arrives. This time I know I can make it work for at least the whole first year, no matter what I have to do. I know nursing right away after birth this time should help put us on the right track.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#24 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 AM

I was able to express a little colostrum a couple of weeks ago, but when I tried again over the weekend...nothing.  However, DS is nursing more these days and doesn't seem to be frustrated or anything.  If anything, it seems like I'm hearing even more swallowing sounds that I have in a while and his nursing sessions are getting longer.  I have to assume that the girls are making SOMETHING for him to be so happy to nurse again.  I've never been able to hand express very efficiently, so it's probably user error that's causing me to not get anything out.  I guess I could pull out the breast pump if I really want to check.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#25 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM

Ok I tried, clumsily, and there was no sign of anything. And, um, I totally felt like a cow! Heehee. Not in a bad way, cows are awesome. And I feel like one anyway, all placid and huge and grazing the day away.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#26 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 AM

My milk turned into colostrum around 14 weeks (I'm still nursing DS, and occasionally DD). I was trying to express some for medicinal purposes and noticed, hey, this is different! Lol. I then realized, oh right, colostrum. :)

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#27 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 02:58 PM

Is it odd that I get a little bit of what looks like mature breast milk - a drop of opaque creamy white, mixed with the transparent yellow-gold - on one side?

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#28 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 02:59 PM

These are my first, so I really don't know.  smile.gif

#29 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post

Is it odd that I get a little bit of what looks like mature breast milk - a drop of opaque creamy white, mixed with the transparent yellow-gold - on one side?

That's normal as far as I know!  Mine is still clear but I know in a few weeks as I closer to delivery it turns whiteish yellow.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#30 of 34 Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I am soooo excited to start nursing again when this baby arrives. This time I know I can make it work for at least the whole first year, no matter what I have to do.

Yea! I know you expressed some anxiety before, so it's so awesome to hear your positivity! 

I've been such a complainer and negative thinker lately (about bfing, home birthing, and life) , so I'm trying to change that around. Thanks for sharing your positivity!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page