birthing bead exchange august DDC (exchange now closed at 23 participants...thanks everyone!!!) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a great idea, Lyn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

We could include an addressed padded envelope with our beads, and whatever we pay for shipping is what we need to include to cover return shipping, that way nobody has to buy and address all the envelopes (or a return address label to stick over the top of the original envelope) and we would all know how much it should cost to come back to us, as they would have the same amount of beads.

I send packages international a lot and the USPS has one flat rate for international shipping (except maybe Canada & Mexico) as I pay the same rate no matter if I am sending to the UK or New Zealand, or anywhere in between.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

We could include an addressed padded envelope with our beads, and whatever we pay for shipping is what we need to include to cover return shipping, that way nobody has to buy and address all the envelopes (or a return address label to stick over the top of the original envelope) and we would all know how much it should cost to come back to us, as they would have the same amount of beads.

I send packages international a lot and the USPS has one flat rate for international shipping (except maybe Canada & Mexico) as I pay the same rate no matter if I am sending to the UK or New Zealand, or anywhere in between.

It sounds like this should work quite well...but I think that it would be prudent to also add a little extra to the postage paid for your return envelope in case there are a few heavier beads than you send out originally (a nickle sized bead will weigh more than one the size of a pebble...etc...) . That way, if everyone sends out a padded envelope with the shipping already paid, all I have to do is mail the envelopes. I would also advise putting your address in BOTH areas (sent from and to) to ensure that you get the envelope no matter what.

And yes, we should just PM my address to everyone. I can do that once I get the master list. I bought about 25 beads yesterday (I could not wait...I'm happy to go back if I need more.) and oh....they are sooooo pretty. Each one is different and uniquely lovely just like each of you! I'm excited to send them off....So many different colors, shapes,sizes, materials, and designs....what fun!!! I intend to add a note about what the bead is made of just so ya know. Ie: tigers eye, Chinese lamp work, porcelain, lapis, bone, jade,....you get the idea. blowkiss.gif

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#63 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM

Lynann, what do you pay for international postage (presuming that you send stuff of a similar size to what we're talking about)? I can do self-addressed, but not stamped since I can't get US postage here. But I can include money. It might have to be a check because I generally don't have much US currency hanging around.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#64 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post

Lynann, what do you pay for international postage (presuming that you send stuff of a similar size to what we're talking about)? I can do self-addressed, but not stamped since I can't get US postage here. But I can include money. It might have to be a check because I generally don't have much US currency hanging around.

It totally depends on what I'm sending. But something in a small bubble envelope with not much in it can usually cost me between $9 -$14. I'd think that unless the beads are very heavy it shouldn't cost more than that, but I can check next time I'm at the Post Office.

EB I think sending you envelopes with the shipping prepaid would be the best idea for us all, and a lot less work for you. (Except obviously those who are participating from overseas, as they can't prepay shipping.) Then you just have to put the beads in the envelopes and send them.

I'm really looking forward to shopping for beads, and seeing what I get back in return.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#65 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 12:09 PM

As someone else who's shipped out of country, It might not be wise to ship flat rate. It's only worth it if the item weighs a lot. Though the best way to find out is to take a "package" of beads to the post office and see if it would be better to ship flat rate international or basic. 

I know shipping to Canada tends to be cheaper for me than shipping within the states. Which is so strange living in the states! Most expensive seems to be shipping to Australia. (this is based on my personal experience.)

My 2 cent is it would be easier and less hassle to send the list of addresses to each person and have them ship their beads individually. How do you prevent flakers? Well honestly you can't. Either way. Some might not send their beads to a central person either. 

So I'd think it would be better and less stress to let each person depend on themselves. And leave it at that. 

A single bead is only going to cost a few stamps unless it's really heavy. Can go in a regular envelope wrapped in a bit of bubble wrap, or even a small bubble mailer in a small box. 

Like I said just my opinion. But whatever is decided is fine with me! 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#66 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, preventing "flakers" would be easy because if they don't send beads and an envelope, they don't get them either..that way we're not exchanging with people who decide they'd rather not participate. In that case, I could simply send each person back any beads that are left over from your original shipment, but hopefully, there will be a high level of participation! joy.gif My guess is that anyone who wants to do this will actually come through, it's part of the whole idea of it all, right? Any other input? blowkiss.gif

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#67 of 314 Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 PM

I agree that there won't be too many flakers. I'm sure there will be a few, but I'm equally sure that there will be at least a few people that will see this at the last minute and BEG to be included and will happily take the flakers' places.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#68 of 314 Old 04-27-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

thumbsup.gif

#69 of 314 Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM

I can't imagine that anyone would truly flake with no notice without a good reason.  I would think that if anyone decides to bow out at the last minute, it may be related to the overall cost of the exchange being higher than they anticipated.  I agree that flakers probably won't be a huge problem.  If I have any left over beads, I plan to just include them in my own necklace, or make a bracelet if I have tons left over. 

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

#70 of 314 Old 04-27-2011, 02:35 PM

I really like the idea of the return envelope with the postage paid! I know I did not volunteer to distribute, but it sounds like an easy plan.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#71 of 314 Old 04-27-2011, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah...I think it will be nice that way. So much easier! And, I think it will end up being less expensive collectively.... I'm so excited to have something extra to be excited about (as if my buttercup wasn't enough!! stillheart.gif) because I need anything I can get to distract myself from worry, grief and anxiety right now. This is really helping...

#72 of 314 Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2881 View Post

I really like the idea of the return envelope with the postage paid! I know I did not volunteer to distribute, but it sounds like an easy plan.

I like this too but I think I missed where we figured out how we'd calculate shipping for that? This does sound like the easiest method. I suppose the distributor could take the items to the post office and put them in the envelope and have them weighed. Then come back and tell us how much we need to send for shipping? Or if you have a post office with one of those self serve scales that makes things way easier. Or did we decide to do flat rate shipping? 
Sorry I think I'm making this more confusing than before! lol I'm super excited about this and love the idea. 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#73 of 314 Old 04-28-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

You would simply put the same amount of postage it was costing you to send the beads, plus a little more in case you get back some bigger beads than you send. So, you find out how much your package with the beads and padded envelope will cost, then take the padded envelope and have the postmaster put the right amount of postage on it, so that I'll just pop in your new beads, and ship em off easily! YAY! joy.gif Oh, and put your address in the to AND from areas of the envelope to be sure to get it NO MATTER WHAT! wink1.gif

#74 of 314 Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM

ok i think im having a mom brain fart seriously.. so do we buy 1 bead or a lot of beads? lol im sorry.. i have a 4,3 and 1 yr old.. and a migrane today haha..my mind is lost.. lol  i think this sounds cute i just have to understand the rules because money is super tight for us. lol

#75 of 314 Old 04-28-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

We buy one bead for each lady in the exchange...so, if there are 20 ladies, counting you....buy 19, and keep one for yourself. No need to apologize, it is important to ask questions as it would suuuuuuuuuuuuck if you only sent one bead for me to send to 19 other ladies. 2whistle.gif And for the record, i just found out today that I am 36. I thought I was 35, and that I was going to turn 36. Nope. I'm 36, and am going to turn 37. So.......there ya go! I somehow lost a year of my life to...a void. hide.gif

#76 of 314 Old 04-28-2011, 04:49 PM

I just want to add that if you are just joining us and haven't PM'd me your name and address yet, please do so before June 1st.  That is how you will be officially added to the bead roster.

Sara:  Yikes!! duh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

We buy one bead for each lady in the exchange...so, if there are 20 ladies, counting you....buy 19, and keep one for yourself. No need to apologize, it is important to ask questions as it would suuuuuuuuuuuuck if you only sent one bead for me to send to 19 other ladies. 2whistle.gifAnd for the record, i just found out today that I am 36. I thought I was 35, and that I was going to turn 36. Nope. I'm 36, and am going to turn 37. So.......there ya go! I somehow lost a year of my life to...a void. hide.gif

#77 of 314 Old 04-28-2011, 05:12 PM

I have been lurking around waiting for the right moment to speak up... I don't say much on the forums here but I read most everything and would like to be a part of the bead exchange. I am planning on making beads for everyone. My midwife just lent me "Birthing from Within" (which everyone should read, BTW) and this idea was in the book but until I saw this thread, I didn't know enough to people to make it work... Looking forward to seeing all the different beads!

#78 of 314 Old 04-29-2011, 07:19 AM

ok ill ask the one more stupid question.. because im not a crafty mama.. lol where do you get beads? are you talking just any ole beads? or special things? i mean the dollar tree sells beads? are we talking those.. lol. and woudnt it be cheaper to mail priority in a small envelope or something? lol.. i think its like $4 and some change for one of those. and we buy the beads.. mail it to you.. and include a self addressed prepaid envelope in that also right? lemme make sure im understanding everything haha.. 

#79 of 314 Old 04-29-2011, 07:20 AM

ps-it would be funny to see you cut a tiny bead into 20 pieces energy.gif

#80 of 314 Old 04-29-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

You would simply put the same amount of postage it was costing you to send the beads, plus a little more in case you get back some bigger beads than you send. So, you find out how much your package with the beads and padded envelope will cost, then take the padded envelope and have the postmaster put the right amount of postage on it, so that I'll just pop in your new beads, and ship em off easily! YAY! joy.gif Oh, and put your address in the to AND from areas of the envelope to be sure to get it NO MATTER WHAT! wink1.gif

AH! That does seam easy! Ok! I get it now! :) 

#81 of 314 Old 04-29-2011, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

You can get beads from any source you want. They can have really pretty ones at craft stores. Ideally, they wouldn't be like...uh...kids crafting plastic beads Sheepish.gif...but, just something that "calls" to you for one reason or another. Think to yourself "would I want to wear this?" and you can't go wrong! It could be the material, the color, the texture, the pattern...whatever. If you don't have a "bead store" around you, (we have about 4 in Missoula Montana...) You can look up beads on line as well. There are lampwork beads, foil beads, African ones, traditional beads, pearls with larger holes, rainbow beads, beads of every color under the sun, and almost every shape as well! ceramic beads, bone, wood, blown glass, semi precious stones, ambers, fossils, shells, metals, shapes and themes of all kinds (the sea, animals, nature, cutesy...anything really...I got an adorable carved bone turtle for one lady!) Once you start looking, it can be addicting. Just have fun with it... There are sites, like this one http://www.sedonastones.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT and this one http://dollarbead.com/ and this one http://www.beadparadise.com/index.html and this one http://www.abeadstore.com/beads.....just to name a few of the thousands out there. If opting to order on line, be sure to know whether you are ordering a strand of beads, or just ONE bead. Most sites have a contact number if you have questions. Some beads are less expensive, and of course, others are more expensive, but if you have an idea of what you want, you can pretty much find affordable versions if you look. For example, I once wanted to make my auntie an necklace of amber. I found REALLY expensive amber, and then, I found affordable amber that was lovely to work with. I just had to look. I liked getting a different bead for each lady...because I'm just like that, but whatever resonates with YOU, is what matters. The other thing to consider is that some small pearls, or stone "chips" or seed beads can have holes that are hard to work with because they are too small, so just be aware of that.

Also, we thought it would be best to ship in padded envelopes because some people might send glass or ceramic beads or just fragile beads, like wood...or whatever...that could get crushed if not protected. So, I'm guessing that two padded envelopes shouldn't be too pricey. I guess you could ship them in a padded envelope in a priority envelope as well? Do what feels comfortable to you, as the envelope you send me will be the envelope I send your beads in. joy.gif

Any other questions? blowkiss.gif

#82 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 PM

we're getting close to when we are supposed to assemble our beads aren't we? 

#83 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM

I think we said the cutoff to join the group would be June 1st.  But there has only been one new person added to the list in the last week or so. 

What do you all think?  Should we cut it off now and start working on our bead purchases?  Or leave enrollment open for a while longer?

#84 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 04:02 PM

Whatever you like, but I am getting a little anxious about my energy level and so - if no one pipes up in a few days - would be reassured by an earlier cut-off, since it would allow me to make all my bead choices & purchases earlier. (I'll finish up online, if we go to the original date, and I'm not up to getting out; I just look forward to seeing things in person, if I can!)

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#85 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I might purchase soon (within the next week), but just purchase a couple extra beads in case new mamas join. smile.gif

#86 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Do we have an approx number for those of us who may be shopping earlier? We live really rural, so I only get to a town that has beads like this once a month or so...

#87 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 06:04 PM

22 I think. The list is on my computer at work. I'll double check in the morning.

#88 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks!

#89 of 314 Old 05-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I think we said the cutoff to join the group would be June 1st.  But there has only been one new person added to the list in the last week or so. 

What do you all think?  Should we cut it off now and start working on our bead purchases?  Or leave enrollment open for a while longer?

AH! For some reason I thought we were cutting it off this month and was panicing that I'd missed important info. lol This month is crazy for me so sending next month or cutting it off then would be better but I can figure something out if we do cut it off sooner. 

#90 of 314 Old 05-06-2011, 07:27 AM

Here's the list I have so far.  22 total.

Emerging butterfly
egmaranian
Imprint
lisastrickland
Chaika
PoetryLover
Beckily
Lynann
cat13
lovingmommyhood
bobbinbopbop
CrazyCatLady
karalynnskies
Sarahmck
Inali
Sarah2881
Agatha_Ann
Stephaniqua
HawaiianBlesing
ChemistryClass
crunchybug
magpiemind

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page