birthing bead exchange august DDC (exchange now closed at 23 participants...thanks everyone!!!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 314 Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on making a necklace to wear at the birth of my little girl. I'd love to have a bead from each of my sisters on this journey: the sweet ladies in my DDC, my baby loss friends/companions, my hand-holders, my sisters, my family... So, I thought it would be fun if whoever wanted to do this participated in an exchange. If your interested, PM me your address and I'll PM mine to you as well. I'll send you off a special bead to add to your necklace, bracelet, or key chain...and I'll add yours to mine.

It doesn't have to be a fancy bead...just a bead that feels good to YOU for one reason or another, it could be the color, the texture, the shape...whatever. I was given the first bead for this special birthing necklace this morning by my sweet husband. It's a small green stone in the shape of a sea turtle.

Does anyone resonate with this idea? If you want to be PM'd by others, place your response here. Hopefully, we'll all get several fun little packages to lighten our hearts and share the support and the joy for our journeys. I, for one, cherish any support and love I can get...it helps my anxiety tremendously.

Love...blowkiss.gif

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 314 Old 04-19-2011, 03:09 PM

That sounds fun.  I really want to have a birth necklace, but I didn't think I'd have enough friends and family who want to contribute to make it worthwhile.  Count me in!

I'll PM you my address now.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#3 of 314 Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Yes, I would love to do that....

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#4 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

That sounds fun.  I really want to have a birth necklace, but I didn't think I'd have enough friends and family who want to contribute to make it worthwhile.  Count me in!

I'll PM you my address now.

I made a necklace for a friend who had very few beads, but it was lovely anyway. blowkiss.gif I just knotted each bead into place on a silk thread so that it was like spacers like this: .......*O*........*O*........*O*........(the stars are knots, the ....are thread....and the O's are beads. That way, even if you had only a few, it would be nice to touch and focus on. (HUG) I have another friend who had so many beads I had to make several layers...it was like a Cleopatra necklace with like 10 strands of beautiful beads! (A lot of her friends sent multiple beads because they couldn't make up their minds! bead shops can be...uh...addictive.)

Sending love, because I'm so grateful for the support. SO grateful...joy.gif! Make sure you send your addresses to the other ladies who want to participate too! This will be such fun....a wonderful distraction, and a wonderful intention for ALL of us. grouphug.gif

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#5 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 AM

This sounds fun! Can we make a list of all the ladies that do want to do it, then i only have to make one trip to the bead store and post office...

count me in! ill send PMs later!

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#6 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea...I'm wondering...Should you all just P.M. me and I'll compile the addresses and then send them all out to each other? I'll want permission to do this though....So, if you are hesitant about that, let me know. Anyone have a secretarial bent in them they'd like to share about the best way to go about that? I'm all ears! redface.gif)

#7 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 AM

I've already started a spreadsheet with everyone's info so when I get ready to mail out, I will have all the addresses in one place.  When it seems like everyone who wants to participate has chimed in, I can PM the list out to all, if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

That sounds like a good idea...I'm wondering...Should you all just P.M. me and I'll compile the addresses and then send them all out to each other? I'll want permission to do this though....So, if you are hesitant about that, let me know. Anyone have a secretarial bent in them they'd like to share about the best way to go about that? I'm all ears! redface.gif)

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

#8 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I want to participate, but what date will they need to be in the mail?  Do we have a month or 2 or a couple weeks? Thanks!!

#9 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This is a lovely idea...count me in!

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#10 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've already started a spreadsheet with everyone's info so when I get ready to mail out, I will have all the addresses in one place.  When it seems like everyone who wants to participate has chimed in, I can PM the list out to all, if you'd like.

This is WONDERFUL! Thank you! blowkiss.gif That is perfect! Thank you Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I want to participate, but what date will they need to be in the mail?  Do we have a month or 2 or a couple weeks? Thanks!!

I think if we all agreed to have beads out by June 1st , that should be plenty of time! Agreed? That gives everyone time to join in, and gives everyone time to get it done! I'm so excited about this! (I NEED to be excited about this! Especially right now...)joy.gif

#11 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

That sounds great! I PM'd egmaranian my address info to compile in her list. :-)

#12 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

joy.gif

#13 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 11:54 AM

Ok, then I'm not going to PM my address out to anyone else at this time.  I'll just include it on the list I send out in a few weeks.  June 1st sounds great! 

Oooh, how fun!  biggrinbounce.gif

Quote:

Quote:

This is WONDERFUL! Thank you! blowkiss.gif That is perfect! Thank you Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I think if we all agreed to have beads out by June 1st , that should be plenty of time! Agreed? That gives everyone time to join in, and gives everyone time to get it done! I'm so excited about this! (I NEED to be excited about this! Especially right now...)joy.gif

#14 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

VERY cool! I'm so pleased....(I really needed this right now...thanks everyone...)

#15 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Just PM'd Beckily to you egmaranian! blowkiss.gif

#16 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Got it.  Thanks!

Quote:

Just PM'd Beckily to you egmaranian! blowkiss.gif

#17 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm in! I did this in my DDC in 2008 and it was so cool. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#18 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 01:12 PM

This sounds like a wonderful idea, and what a precious keepsake of this pregnancy.

I'm in too. It will be so much fun, and another crafty thing to do.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#19 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:

Ok, then I'm not going to PM my address out to anyone else at this time.  I'll just include it on the list I send out in a few weeks.  June 1st sounds great! 

Oooh, how fun!  biggrinbounce.gif

Thanks for doing this! I'll PM you now.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#20 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 01:47 PM

Sounds like a great plan for distributing addresses!  I am really looking forward to going and looking for beads for everyone....Sara, thank you for suggesting it!  It will definitely be a special thing to focus on (now and later) and a neat way to spend some time, getting ready.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#21 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

joy.gif (I'm sooo sad today...this is really helping to distract me. Thanks ladies...)

#22 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 PM

This is such a great idea! Each bead will have so many warm feelings and love surrounding it. Please count me in! Who should I pm with my mailing address? 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#23 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 02:49 PM

We did this in my Aug 2006 DDC.  It was awesome and those beads meant so much to me, especially because I was placing that baby for adoption at birth.

A word of warning though.  Many of our beads to each other got lost in the mail.  They were breaking, breaking the envelopes, and falling out of the envelopes during the mailing process. 

Who do I message to be included?

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#24 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

You can pm me or/and egmaranian. Egmaranian is going to compile the list!...she's amazing!

#25 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:

You can pm me or/and egmaranian. Egmaranian is going to compile the list!...she's amazing!

Thanks!  And thank you Egmaranian...you are amazing for being willing to put this all together for us. :)

#26 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:10 PM

Aw, shucks innocent.gif 

It's no big deal really.  I work with spreadsheets for my job and one small address list is a piece of cake. I'm jotting down the user name of each mama who indicates she wants to join in as I see the posts pop up and then I'll fill in the actual names/addresses when I get a PM with that info.  I'll go back through the thread closer to June 1st to be sure I didn't miss anyone.

Quote:

#27 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Count me in! I am PMing you now. I am really excited about picking out beads and recieving mine biggrinbounce.gif

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to Jude 08/11, 03/13, 09/13
04/2014 08/2014
#28 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

I understand, I have had a lot of grief and sadness lately too.  Doing this will be a nice thing to focus on.  It feels good picking out pretty beads, putting good wishes into them, and mailing them to everyone.  Like a mini Christmas or something.  Giving always brings positive feelings.  :)

Quote:

joy.gif (I'm sooo sad today...this is really helping to distract me. Thanks ladies...)

#29 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Maybe we could put them in padded envolopes so they dont break? i would hate to lose them!!

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#30 of 314 Old 04-20-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastrickland View Post

Maybe we could put them in padded envolopes so they dont break? i would hate to lose them!!

It's a really good idea even though it's more pricey.  Last time we did the bead exchange, it seemed like the mail people rolled the envelopes or something?  And it was causing the beads to pop out of the paper and get lost.  Not sure if the mail has changed any since 2006, but a lot of us lost our beads during that time so I just wanted to warn everyone this time around.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page