postpartum bleeding, etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-21-2011, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The thread about Postpartum mama cloth got me thinking.  I don't know what to expect.  Can someone please explain to me how this works?  Is it just like a heavy period for awhile after giving birth, or it is more intense than that?  I'm assuming you can't use tampons, and I understand there's probably a lot of additional discomfort.  What should I plan for?  I'm pretty un-informed on this.

Thanks!

E

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#3 of 30 Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yeah, for the first couple days it is quite a bit of bleeding. Nursing contracts the uterus so more bleeding after that and gushes when you stand up. I wear very heavy overnight pads and despite frequent changing, I still leak. I sleep with a towel under my butt until it slows down. Gradually the bleeding slows down, it usually is a couple weeks of bleeding  though, and if it increases then you are doing too much. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 30 Old 04-21-2011, 08:48 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#5 of 30 Old 04-21-2011, 08:59 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I always have retained placenta and with my first the ob did a BAD job of removing it with his hand... I bled and bled and bled... with my second and third the ob did a good job and used a kit to remove it. My bleeding was like a period, not bad at all! Not sure what to expect now.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#6 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Yes, at first its a lot of bleeding.  Quite heavy in gushes like the others have said.  I use Depends disposable underwear for the first 2-3 days of it, makes life a lot easier and no undies get ruined, everything is self contained.

The way my mw explained it is that there is an open wound in your uterus from where the placenta detaches.  This has to heal, as well as the lining that built up for the whole 10 months has to come out.  So, you're really supposed to take it as easy as possible (no walking/running around for a few days) to let everything heal up.  

I think with DD I bled heavy straight for 2 weeks, and then from there it was like, normal period blood for another week or so, and then spotting for a few more days.  I know it was a long time!  Longer than I thought it would be.

One of my good friends told me too that something she didn't know ahead of time is that you still bleed heavy like this even if you have a c-section.  I never new/though about that, and figured I'd pass it along!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:13 AM

Yes, I had a c-section with my first bambino and I had bleeding too. About 4 weeks of it. But you know, I never thought about it like you put it, Baby_Cakes---it's an open wound from the detachment of the placenta. Of course! 

Last time I wasn't in any pain, but that's probably b/c it was the first baby (I too have heard the afterbirth pains get worse after each kid) and b/c I was on meds for the abdominal surgery... My vulva got irritated by using the commercial/throwaway pads, though (I'm usually a cloth or menstrual cup girl) so I'm gonna try something kinder to my skin this time. (Those Depends for the first couple of days do sound tempting, though.)

#8 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:29 AM

I bleed the whole six weeks on and off. It was worse with my first, but it was an impressive blood loss both times, complete with large clots. The super heavy duty pads did not cut it so I too am considering Depends this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Also, I hate all of you who go months without having your period return. Despite nursing and pumping all the live long day, mine started back up right away. *grumble*

I feel your pain! I get my period back about a week after the pp bleeding finally dies down. Exclusive breastfeeding on demand and all. We get screwed.

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#9 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 AM

Yes, exactly---my MW always explains to people (sometimes while showing them the placenta) that 'You have a wound *this big* on the inside of your body, and if you had a wound like that on the outside of your body, you would definitely take it easy.  So stay in bed for a while!'  It is a good visual to have.  

I bled for about six weeks with each of the last two.  The last couple weeks of lochia were more like spotting at the end of a period; not really heavy enough to justify a pad, but too much to go w/o a liner or something.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

The way my mw explained it is that there is an open wound in your uterus from where the placenta detaches.  This has to heal, as well as the lining that built up for the whole 10 months has to come out.  So, you're really supposed to take it as easy as possible (no walking/running around for a few days) to let everything heal up.  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#10 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 06:07 AM

I had a c/s last time too, and I still had heavy bleeding for about a week, then it slowed down, and by the end of the second week it was just light spotting. To keep that in context though I have incredibly light menstrual cycles, just one day of moderate flow then two days of spotting, rather than the usual four days of flow.

I really don't like how disposable pads make me feel, so I'm going to try just using cloth this time, but I do plan on making some extra thick/long inserts for that first week or so pp.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#11 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 10:25 AM

Is it odd of me to read this and then want to just go out and buy a bed pan to bleed in? Sounds like a lot of blood and fuss - easier to bleed into a thing and pour it out.

Plus, I'm gross and like to see everything :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#12 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I have to admit, using Depends sounds pretty good, from what most of you have said.   I always HATED using pads when I was a teenager because they are sooo uncomfortable, shift around, get bunched up, leak, feel icky, etc etc etc.  Have only used tampons forever.  So if I'm going to be bleeding that much, for that long, I can't imagine tolerating a pad.  Are there different absorbancies of Depends that are heavy enough to handle it?

#13 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:21 PM

I bleed a lot and man do I hate it. I hate wearing pads. I think I may try depends this time around. It's so fun wearing those nasty pads and mesh undies in the hospital! The thing I can't live without are those fabulous ice packs they give you. I asked for more the last time I was in the hospital and they told me they could only give me THREE and I had used all mine. WTF? I just pushed an almost 10 lb kid out of my vagina and you can't give me another ice pack? I may order some for myself - I saw them on the home birthing kit sites.
#14 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 PM

- Buddha
#15 of 30 Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM

Crushed ice in a newborn diaper is excellent as well----I've yet to be in a hospital that doesn't have either of those things just lying around!  (Rip open the diaper at the top and fill it with ice, then apply.  It's just as good, if not better than, the instant cold gel pads.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

I bleed a lot and man do I hate it. I hate wearing pads. I think I may try depends this time around. It's so fun wearing those nasty pads and mesh undies in the hospital! The thing I can't live without are those fabulous ice packs they give you. I asked for more the last time I was in the hospital and they told me they could only give me THREE and I had used all mine. WTF? I just pushed an almost 10 lb kid out of my vagina and you can't give me another ice pack? I may order some for myself - I saw them on the home birthing kit sites.

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#16 of 30 Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 AM

I think depends are just the one absorbancy but I loved that they were all one piece and didn't bunch up. I could just saturate the inside with bottom spray and pull it up!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#17 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I think depends are just the one absorbancy but I loved that they were all one piece and didn't bunch up. I could just saturate the inside with bottom spray and pull it up!!

Okay, I just need to ask b/c it's been bugging me:  doesn't saturating the pad/Depends with herbal spray reduce the absorbency? I want to use a spray, but I keep thinking that it'll mean I'm sacrificing blood-sucking absorbency.

#18 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 06:26 AM

Lol! Maybe a tiny bit but they still absorbed plenty of blood. The spray is just a really light mist, and probably just coats the very top layer. But it feels sooo cool and nice against swollen bits. smile.gif

#19 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 08:13 AM

I highly recommend Depends! I was worried that I would leak through a pad onto our cream colored couch (where I was spending most of my time nursing). I bled heavily for two weeks, about like a period for a week, and spotting for another week. For some reason, I get my period back really early even though I exclusively breastfeed. I think I got my period back around 55-60 days postpartum.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#20 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 01:27 PM

- Buddha
#21 of 30 Old 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Yep, depends would be the full on adult undies. No idea how discreet they are, besides that i one benefit of having a newborn, everyone looks at the baby and not your butt!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#22 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Yep, depends would be the full on adult undies. No idea how discreet they are, besides that i one benefit of having a newborn, everyone looks at the baby and not your butt!

ROTFLMAO.gifThank goodness for that!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#23 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 AM

I used the bladder control pads last time and never had a leak. I might try both this time and see which one I like better.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#24 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Newbie question...what's bottom spray?

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#25 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 01:59 PM

- Buddha
#26 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 PM

I never actually urinated on a bladder control pad, but according to the website their most absorbent overnight pads hold about 2 cups of liquid. That seems like it would be more than sufficient but I can't vouch for whether it would leak or not.

#27 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM

My bleeding both times has been heavy for 3 days or so, then very light spotting for 6 weeks... it gets really old. Both times I adored the mesh panties. With DD1 I took extra pairs from the hospital because they were in the cabinet in my room. With DD2 I ordered extra with my birth kit. DD1 I just did the mesh panties, a huge overnight pad and numbing antiseptic spray stuff they gave me in the hospital, I layered tucks pads on top of the pad each time I went to the bathroom. With DD2 my MW had a herbal concoction that she steeped and then poured over the big pads that came in the birth kit and then she put them in the freezer, they were fantastic. I still used the numbing spray the first couple days, and my MW left some of the herbs that DH steeped and would keep a peri bottle full and I would spray the bits with that and I also put the tucks pads on my pad. There were times even in the first few days that I would just replace the tucks and there would be no blood on my actual pad. There was gushing after nursing though and the after pains were much worse with #2, not looking forward to what they will be like this time. I did leak a little the first few days, but I was in bed on one of those disposable hospital pads so it was not a big deal. By the time my MW let me out of bed (day 4) the bleeding was much lighter and I did not leak. I used over night Kotex for another few days, then the light day ones for FOREVER!

I am really considering cloth this time, I have been wanting to make the investment for a long time anyway. Another reason for DH to get me a serger for my B-Day! I could make them!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#28 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Newbie question...what's bottom spray?

I use this one:

http://www.earthmamaangelbaby.com/postpartum-recovery/new-mama-bottom-spray.html

Krista - the solarcaine doesn't burn if you have tears?

#29 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 PM

- Buddha
#30 of 30 Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 PM

I am very jealous reading this thread, I bleed for 6-8 weeks every darn time with plum size clots for the first month. Imagine standing in line at the grocery store when one of those suckers is rolling around in your panties. Fun times!

I'm really sad now! I thought I was normal bawling.gif lol.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page