What I wish I had known - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The days are long but the years are short. nod.gif

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#32 of 49 Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#33 of 49 Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastrickland View Post

On your first car trip with the baby (ours was coming home from the hospital) it seems like EVERY other driver is out to kill you! All of a sudden you become hyper aware to others reckless driving!

On our first car trip, DH (who is normally a, ah, quick driver) pulled over three times so that people could go around.  Women may not really scream and beg for drugs like in the movies, but boy, DH sure pulled a movie maneuver with the first time driving orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

That they are.  God those first days feel so long and awful...  And then before you know it, you miss them.  You miss your squishy newborn, and that sweet smell, and all the sweet flowing breastmilk.  The hours of sleep deprivation and frustrated tears just melt away into nothing...  This is very, very sage advice mama!

I wish I had known not to be so hard on myself.  That doing your best is good enough in hindsight, even if it doesn't feel that way at the time.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#34 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 05:30 AM

LOVE this quote.  I used to say it all the time to people who asked how things were going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingmommyhood View Post

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#35 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 08:56 AM

1.) I wish I had known the importance of rest and (for me) not having too much company in so that breastfeeding could be better established without stress

2.) I wish I had known how to side lay breastfeed

3.) I wish I had known that as important as having people bring dinner is, it's a really good idea to have quick breakfast and lunch items that can be grabbed and eaten in a hurry

4.) I wish I had known just how to relax and believe that it will all work out and the baby will be fine and will survive, even if you're clueless and feel like you're barely making it! 

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#36 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 09:23 AM

Have snacks available wherever you are breastfeeding! 

I would settle down to nurse DS not feeling the least bit hungry, but 2 minutes into the nursing session I would be STARVING!  To the point where I thought I would pass out.  Keeping a bowl of nuts or cut up veggies on the table next to the recliner was a lifesaver on many occasions.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#37 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 12:46 PM

Oh! I actually thought those felt kinda cool nut.gif   It was the way I knew my body was doing what it was supposed to be doing.  I didn't realize that they would be painful to some people. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastrickland View Post

They are the pains you get after the baby is born. Almost like contractions, you get them for days (weeks?). Its your uterus shrinking back down to size.

I wish someone would have told me about how much you are going to bleed after birth! I had no idea!! I stood up at one point and had blood rushing down my legs. Not fun.

#38 of 49 Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 PM

Despite my difficult situation and the stress in trying to accommodate and include my future ex-husband in some of the day to day doings with the baby I have reminded myself over and over again that this time with my Seedling will be over in a very short time and that I should remember to enjoy it all despite the annoyance of the situation.

I always stop myself from saying "I can't wait till he can do X, Y, or Z." because I can wait.  I want to enjoy every moment - comfortable or not (and there are many uncomfortable ones - he had undiagnosed reflux and is not a good napper) - because I know that this will probably be my only child.  It took a lot to get to this place and I want to savor the moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

That they are.  God those first days feel so long and awful...  And then before you know it, you miss them.  You miss your squishy newborn, and that sweet smell, and all the sweet flowing breastmilk.  The hours of sleep deprivation and frustrated tears just melt away into nothing...  This is very, very sage advice mama!

I wish I had known not to be so hard on myself.  That doing your best is good enough in hindsight, even if it doesn't feel that way at the time.

#39 of 49 Old 05-21-2011, 04:49 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#40 of 49 Old 05-21-2011, 11:48 PM

This thread is wonderful! Thanks, Mamas! blowkiss.gif

- Rachel lady.gif

+ married to Red photosmile2.gif
+ mama to Brooklynn luxlove.gif (age 12)

+ mama to Alder femalesling.GIF born 08/10/11!

#41 of 49 Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM

Exaclty how i feel - hoping this time ill have the perspective that I will survive and I will someday have the ability/opportunity to sleep again :)

#42 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 01:29 PM

I wish I had known that you would not need tubes and tubes of lanolin.  I just used the samples from the hospital and returned all of the tubes that were given to me or purchased.  I still even have hospital samples.

Oh, and for sore, cracked nipples - I wish I had known earlier that a simple saline solutions sprayed on (from and extra peri bottle) after nursing really helped with the healing.

#43 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyx View Post

I wish I had known that you would not need tubes and tubes of lanolin.  I just used the samples from the hospital and returned all of the tubes that were given to me or purchased.  I still even have hospital samples.

Oh, and for sore, cracked nipples - I wish I had known earlier that a simple saline solutions sprayed on (from and extra peri bottle) after nursing really helped with the healing.

That's very good to know!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#44 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyx View Post

You can use the same lanolin to re-waterproof wool diaper covers :) My ONE tube from DS 4yos ago got us through all the early BF'ng ouches, and 3 years of cloth diaper with 1/3 of our covers being woolies, and there is STILL some left! I do keep the sample size ones that are really really tiny in all my travel bags still, b/c they've never been opened!

~SynEpona~
#45 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM

For those with a colicky baby...

I wish I had known:

- Much earlier that my birth ball could be used to bounce the baby and me while simply sitting on it to ease her to sleep instead of all those hours spent walking up and down the hallway.

- That colic and/or reflux could be caused by food allergies through my breastmilk (hers was dairy protein) and that going on an elimination diet right away could relieve things within 2 weeks. I didn't know this until she was almost 4 months old!

- That not all car seats are created equal for babies with any gastric discomfort...the typical infant "tub" carseats (aka Graco) are the worst position for the baby to be in who have that - much relief when switching to a straighter back carseat such as Britax Roundabout.

Other random things:

- A hot water dispenser at the changing table was so convenient for diaper changes- just fill with warm water and dispense onto cotton square swab or cloth for an instant warm baby wipe that is all natural.  Follow with a quick blow-dry (hairdryer) and walla - goodbye diaper rashes.

- Even if you can't lift your leg at all after labor, its surprising that 6 weeks really is the magic marker- it will pass!  Buy a small step stool if your bed is high cause in case you wont be able to climb in by yourself.  If you don't end up needing it, it will be handy to have for your toddler.

- Let the baby be watched by someone else even for 1.5 hours between feedings from the get-go, so that they are used to other people (even family) taking care of them...otherwise when they are 6 months old separation anxiety will hit much harder.

- Don't bother looking at your STUFF after birth- wait until your 6 week postpartum.  There's no point to freaking out prematurely...give yourself time to heal.

fambedsingle2.gifAP Mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 7/11
#46 of 49 Old 05-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myorianna View Post

- Don't bother looking at your STUFF after birth- wait until your 6 week postpartum.  There's no point to freaking out prematurely...give yourself time to heal.

yeahthat.gif

I made that mistake and was HORRIFIED!  Called my midwife in tears, practically hysterical, at about 4 weeks postpartum.  Myorianna is right though...  Just leave the hand-mirror alone until 8-12 weeks postpartum.  Your vagina will still be there after all that time, I promise!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#47 of 49 Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 PM

Bumpity! I thought of a few more over the last couple weeks...

-Don't be surprised if/when your hair falls out after birth. I'm talking handfulls and having to clean your brush daily. It really scared me after my first baby and no one had told me it was natural. It is!

-This is silly and another one that some people know, but no one really tells you...nipples have many holes, not just one in the middle, and they spray in all directions!

-If you end up with a c-section, there will be days in the first 6-8 weeks when you feel pretty good and may be tempted to overdo it. DON'T! It will catch up. You are feeling better because you are healing, not because you are healed. Don't be afraid to take the pain medicine they give you. Sure most of us don't like to take anything, but you just had major surgery, it is ok to not be 100% crunchy all the time and it is much easier to stay on top of pain than to catch up to it.

-Get yourself a great big water bottle and keep it filled with ice water at all times. You will be so thirsty the first few weeks especially it will blow your mind how much water you can put away. I highly recommend teaching your DH to automatically refill you each time he walks by.

grouphug.gif

#48 of 49 Old 07-22-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

-Get yourself a great big water bottle and keep it filled with ice water at all times. You will be so thirsty the first few weeks especially it will blow your mind how much water you can put away. I highly recommend teaching your DH to automatically refill you each time he walks by.

Nursing in those first weeks is a battle of extremes.  I was thirsty like never before, hungry like never before, and NO ONE told me that my baby would nurse 24/7.  They do.  It is TOTALLY normal to only have 15-20 minutes between feedings.  Slap on some nipple butter, and stay well fed and well hydrated!

#49 of 49 Old 07-23-2011, 12:01 PM

Oh boy!!!  So many things so little a baby!!!  lol.gifROTFLMAO.gif

I can't wait for the madness to just start hearing all these things to keep in mind makes me want to get on it!

First time mama!  belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page