Creating a birth plan - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 25 weeks pregnant with my 4th little one. I am starting to think about my birth plan. There are some new things I have learned since my YDS was born 2 yrs ago and I would like to include them in my birth plan and also I want to do things different this time around if at all possible. Here are the things I want to include/change but I'm not sure how to go about it.

IV -I have been GBS+ with all my LO's and I end up with and IV and have to be either be pushing it around or confined to a bed. What are my other choices?

Bathing/Showering relaxes me how can I ask for a shower or bath during labor? Can I?

I have had my membranes artificially ruptured each time. I don't want that this time at least not ruptured too soon. How should I word it that I want to wait until absolutely necessary and how long can you wait until they have to  be ruptured medically.

I don't want my cervix checked often I want the doctors/nurses to just let things take their course. Maybe check when I get there and when I get closer to when I feel I want to push. Is this safe? How do I word that?

Baby care

I also have learned about the eye drops/ointment. I want to delay that until we've had bonding time. I've also heard that some ointment is not safe how do I be sure I get the safe ointment. Or can I avoid the ointment all together by getting a test, which one?

Bath again I want to delay the first bath but I am not sure the reasonable amount of time to delay.

I would like all newborn procedures to be done at bedside or in my/my husband's presence is this reasonable is there anything the doctors/nurses can't do bedside?

TIA

#2 of 3 Old 05-01-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgavbenstine View Post

I am 25 weeks pregnant with my 4th little one. I am starting to think about my birth plan. There are some new things I have learned since my YDS was born 2 yrs ago and I would like to include them in my birth plan and also I want to do things different this time around if at all possible. Here are the things I want to include/change but I'm not sure how to go about it.

IV -I have been GBS+ with all my LO's and I end up with and IV and have to be either be pushing it around or confined to a bed. What are my other choices?

Bathing/Showering relaxes me how can I ask for a shower or bath during labor? Can I?

I have had my membranes artificially ruptured each time. I don't want that this time at least not ruptured too soon. How should I word it that I want to wait until absolutely necessary and how long can you wait until they have to  be ruptured medically.

I don't want my cervix checked often I want the doctors/nurses to just let things take their course. Maybe check when I get there and when I get closer to when I feel I want to push. Is this safe? How do I word that?

Baby care

I also have learned about the eye drops/ointment. I want to delay that until we've had bonding time. I've also heard that some ointment is not safe how do I be sure I get the safe ointment. Or can I avoid the ointment all together by getting a test, which one?

Bath again I want to delay the first bath but I am not sure the reasonable amount of time to delay.

I would like all newborn procedures to be done at bedside or in my/my husband's presence is this reasonable is there anything the doctors/nurses can't do bedside?

TIA

Some of this depends on where you live - I know someone here lives in.. NY? And they require the eye drops. If you don't have chlamydia or gonorrhea (and sometimes men cheat and give it to you after you've tested negative, that's the fear), then you don't need the drops. Just watch their eyes for an infection. The worry is blindness caused by one of those two STIs.

If you want a circumcism, they don't do it near you, but everything else - if things are okay - should be able to be done in the room.

It's safer to NOT be checked, really. Every time they check, they're putting bacteria in that area. The gloves they wear are for keeping them clean, not you. http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/vaginal-exams.html

I'd word it something like, "I understand that it is your practice to do frequent vaginal exams. Please ask my permission and respect my response when I tell you know. I'll let you know when I feel I need to be checked."

To my knowledge, there's not real medical reason to rupture membranes, except they think it speeds things up. Just tell them not to, no drama.

Showers and such are iffy, depending on location. Seems reasonable, but they're afraid of women not strapped to beds sometimes :)

This is a great link:

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10218

Overview of actual studies saying what is best. Very hard to argue with :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 3 Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM

I did my birth plan on www.birthplan.com You just go through and check whatever options you want and it compiles it into a little birth plan for you, it's nice :D And also, just in case they don't have options for what you want, I think you can add in your own.

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page