Anyone else just really exhausted? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-02-2011, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is my third pregnancy in as many years, so I am not all that surprised at how constant my fatigue is.  I also stay at home with the 18 month old and 3 year old.  But man...some days it is just so frustrating because I want to get out and take the kids on errands or to the park or library but often times my body just doesn't feel like moving.  (It could also be that I live on the 3rd floor of a walkup and the 18 mo is short and quite do the stairs yet so I have to carry her.

I guess I just needed to vent.  Tired of being tired lol. 

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 10:57 AM

I felt the same way... like I was moving through mud all day long. Bloodwork revealed low iron and low thyroid. Supplements are helping greatly!

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 PM

Meee!  At least last week.  I'm HOPING this week comes with a burst of energy and nesting.  I can do a week on and a week off and still make it, I think!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Tired of being tired is exactly how I how as well. Sick kids again, crazy work schedule this week, and I just want to hide in bed because this week is not going to be an easy one even if I actually had energy.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Me, too! Lacking the job or the little ones to care for, I came home from church and lunch yesterday, and slept for four hours - which didn't stop me from sleeping ten or eleven hours last night.  I still could barely drag myself out of bed, today.

I need to check my blood pressure, but if it's high enough, I am hoping the bloodwork at my next visit will suggest low iron or something else treatable but not worrying....

There's a lot I need to do to be ready, and most of it's just not happening.

Madsomer, I find stairs have become very difficult, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were adding to the fatigue, for you.  

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Stairs, yes! I only go upstairs at our house a few times a day so not to bad. I spend Fri-Sun climbing the steep, long stairs over and over at the concert hall where DD2 had her dance recital. Multiple recitals, practices, costume changes meant I was up and down constantly. So tiring and DD1 has her recital there in two weeks so yet another weekend full of that. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 PM

I was feeling that way until just recently- I've noticed when I eat better and make sure I get all my iron, calcium, and other supplements I feel better and have more energy.

I'm usually pretty tired when I come home every day, but I'm now standing on my feet constantly moving for 8 hrs, with only a 30 minute break. But it is way better than it was before, at least now when I get home I have enough energy to cook a simple dinner and play with the dogs some.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 05-02-2011, 09:28 PM

SO glad I don't have stairs! haha!

I am soooo tired also! This is my 4th pregnancy in 4 years, so I think my body is just about done for. lol. It's just me and my 4, 2, and 1 year old all day and night long, and it is TIRING! Also wearing on my patience......

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 AM

I have low hemoglobin so I hear you all on the tiredness. I do take an iron supplement while pregnant, but the hemoglobin is a long term issue that isn't actually caused by low iron, my body just doesn't manufacture enough of the stuff. Then with an 11 month old to look after who is just learning to stand but not quite ready for walking, and getting clingier the bigger my bump gets I'm doing good just to make the bed and have dinner on the table most days.

I know for me fatigue has just become a part of life, and I deal with it while not trying to over do the limits too. I do think getting outside even just for a short time does help, if not physically at least psychologically.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with stairs too!

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 05-03-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Ok.  Cool.  I'm sorry that everyone else is also feeling so tired, but happy to know that I'm not alone.

All my bloodwork has been fine and I've changed my diet to try to combat the fatigue as well, but it's just not working.  I guess I'll just suck it up and keep reminding myself that it's only temporary. 

Right? LOL.

SAHM to DS 12/29/07 and DD 9/15/10 smile.gif
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM

I'm grateful I only have to deal with stairs in the vestibule of our building and the many El stops which have, at best, escalators in one direction.  It would be very hard to live with them in my house, right now.  

The twins seem to be having a growth spurt - being felt 2 - 3 inches above where they were, suddenly, and kicking VERY visibly, finally - which began just as I started to get full much faster and sometimes not want to eat AGAIN (a novel feeling for me, believe me!).  Finally realizing this, yesterday, I ate a bit more and had some very nutrient-dense foods.  I woke up feeling a lot less drained, this morning.  So, I'm hoping that's part of it, in my own case.  Not that I'm not tired, but I'm not so utterly desperate for sleep, despite doing almost nothing!  :)  It feels nice to be more alert and more functional, however far I am from 'energetic'.  

Fatigue is virtually always a problem for me, so I do agree with Lynann about trying to cope and do things despite it, without pushing too far or ignoring the body's real needs.  Getting outside definitely helps - it's very refreshing.  I just have trouble dragging myself out, some days, now.

I'm sorry for everyone to have a hard time, but it does make me feel a bit better that this is a normal, or common, phenomenon.  The less the intensification seems related to long-term problems (which I always feel I need to manage better.... like, into not existing!.... which isn't possible), the less I worry, and the better I am able to let myself rest, at need, too.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 PM

Let the fatigue remind you to be easy on yourself, and rest. :)

Now I should take my own advice. kid.gif

I am incredibly busy- pulling 18 credits this term, raising two busy, busy people on my own, keeping a house in order, cooking, cleaning, gardening, housework while I fix up the apartment downstairs for new tenants.... the list goes on. And then, the end of the day comes and I am having Braxton Hicks like crazy and feel exhausted. I need to lighten my load, and remember that my body is building someone magical right now! it needs to use it's energy for that!

I just want to share, and let you know, yes, your body is tired, it is peaking creativity and you should give it what it needs. I'm glad you are looking into food sources, trying to better them to glean what you can that way. Wise Mama.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

Old 05-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Thank you!  I am resting, and eating better, again, and it does help, some.  But - do be gentle to yourself, too, and rest all you can!  I am very grateful my twins are coming first, leaving more room in my life for things that can be neglected for a time, without harm.  Obviously, with all those commitments, you have far less flexibility, as far as finding time to rest goes; but taking your advice, where you can, is wise and responsible, too!  

Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 AM

Um, I just changed my ringtone to the Lazy Song.  It is so perfect - everytime the phone rings I laugh:  " I don't want to do AN-Y-THING..."  I'm really a slug!!  And I am behind most of you, with the due date of Aug 31st, so I am not quite 25 weeks.

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011

User Tag List