Mothering Forum banner

Spent the night at L&D

2K views 42 replies 21 participants last post by  Peony 
#1 ·
Here is a very fast update: Spent last night in L&D. Couldn't get control of contractions. I tried everything from my herbals, to extra water, to a nap, and nada. They were from 2-3 up to 6min apart from 2pm to 1am. Finally got some terbutaline and a muscle relaxer and things slowed down. At my ob appt today my cervix has shortened even since Monday, and the funneling is more pronounced. My cervix 2 weeks ago was 3.8, on monday was 3.14-3.4 and today was 2.9-3.1. I'm on once a week appts, have to go in if my ctx pick up at all, and have a terb rx to use as needed, no more than a few times a week max, only to help me decide if I should go to L&D. The "new" goal is now 30 weeks, although I'm still keeping my countdown ticker at 35 weeks.
joy.gif

and...I got yelled at for waiting until my kids were asleep to call. Oops...I guess I'm a mama first!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thinking of you Jill! I meant it, I lit a candle for you in hopes these ctx calm down and that Reed stays put til he is good and cooked. Oh goodness, what a scary situation. I'll be thinking of you!!! Keep us posted, definitely!

#7 ·
Will be thinking of you and praying for you.... {{{{hugs, indeed}}}} Take good care, and please do not hesitate to let us know how you are. I know we can't help, beyond prayer and good wishes, but we do care how things go for you and the little one.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

Here is a very fast update: Spent last night in L&D. Couldn't get control of contractions. I tried everything from my herbals, to extra water, to a nap, and nada. They were from 2-3 up to 6min apart from 2pm to 1am. Finally got some terbutaline and a muscle relaxer and things slowed down. At my ob appt today my cervix has shortened even since Monday, and the funneling is more pronounced. My cervix 2 weeks ago was 3.8, on monday was 3.14-3.4 and today was 2.9-3.1. I'm on once a week appts, have to go in if my ctx pick up at all, and have a terb rx to use as needed, no more than a few times a week max, only to help me decide if I should go to L&D. The "new" goal is now 30 weeks, although I'm still keeping my countdown ticker at 35 weeks.
joy.gif

and...I got yelled at for waiting until my kids were asleep to call. Oops...I guess I'm a mama first!
Oh no! Hang in there. I know what it's like to go through this with other children at home. I've been to the hospital twice so far to get contractions stopped and the first time I also got yelled at for waiting too long. Now the protocol is every three minutes no matter what I must call. Blah!!!

Have you had a fetal fibronectin test? I get one every two weeks and so far they have been negative. My OB says not to get myself too comfortable with it because I probably fall in the miniscule percent of people who actually go into labor even though it's negative. Still, it's a little reassuring to me.

I'll be thinking about you!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradmom View Post

Oh no! Hang in there. I know what it's like to go through this with other children at home. I've been to the hospital twice so far to get contractions stopped and the first time I also got yelled at for waiting too long. Now the protocol is every three minutes no matter what I must call. Blah!!!

Have you had a fetal fibronectin test? I get one every two weeks and so far they have been negative. My OB says not to get myself too comfortable with it because I probably fall in the miniscule percent of people who actually go into labor even though it's negative. Still, it's a little reassuring to me.

I'll be thinking about you!
I haven't had the ffN yet, because I've had an exam within 48 hours. If it happens again, as long as it's 2 days from today, then I can.

#11 ·
Oh, Jill! You've been in my thoughts so much lately. That baby boy needs to stay put for a LOT longer. Is there anyone who can help you out so that you can be on bedrest? Bedrest is miserable, but so worth it if it helps. Take care of yourself. *hugs*

#12 ·

#14 ·
So sorry mama... I wish that I had better words, but they're not coming. You'll be in my thoughts for sure, and please, keep us updated as time allows!

#16 ·
Just wanted to add my prayers to the mix. Praying that you can get enough rest, and some help with the other children, and that Reed stays put until he is fully cooked.
hug2.gif
&
praying.gif

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post

Jillybeans... Wanted to check on you and see how you are doing! Not what I was hoping to read! Take it easy!
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Congrats on the boy! Woot woot and happy dancing for you!
Jezzy love!
joy.gif
I'm doing as well as can be expected. It's hard taking care of the girls' on my own, even with dh doing all of the cleaning and cooking. They're just so busy, and miss their mama DOING things with them! I'm trying to stay zen about all of this, and am trying to think positive thoughts about my appt on Monday (the u/s should determine what w do next)

Good to see you my friend!

#19 ·

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post
Can you imagine that's what we have right now??
I can't even!! Oh thanks for posting this. How wonderful for that family!! And it is SUCH a trip to realize we have babies inside us. Makes this all seem so much more real.

Hope all is well, Jill!

#22 ·
Just wanted to check in with you sweetie...Have been keeping you in my thoughts. I have a dear friend who was put on bed rest in her 2nd month of pregnancy...she was so afraid as she lost her first daughter to cancer. They were really worried...but I wanted to tell you that though she was on complete bed rest and pelvic rest all together (no bending or anything else) Her twins were born full term!!! So keep those feet up and stack up a bunch of books! Your kiddos will be o.k. In the meantime....hang in there.
blowkiss.gif

#23 ·
ya, those videos are great for people that don't ever get to see that.
The ONE good thing about dd3 being born early is that she may have saved her little brother, because we were extra cautious this pregnancy, where if I'd continued with my m/w, we would have just ignored them. This is because in my second pregnancy I had similar contractions (from 28weeks on) and she ended up being born at 41 weeks. This time we obviously needed to pay more attention!
And, if heaven forbid he IS born early and needs NICU time, then we'll know what to expect as dd3 spent 2 weeks there, and we already know the building, the routines, the staff, etc very well. There won't be the OMG shock like there was last time, or the incredible fear when other babies (usually much sicker with genetic issues) die in the beds next to her.

EB: THANK YOU mama! I hate checking in day to day as I myself get sick of complaining.
smile.gif
It isn't good on the mojo! lol. I'm doing ok...still getting a lot of contractions, mostly in the evenings. Last night got sketchy, but they finally slowed down. I'm getting kind of nervous for Monday, even though I know it's out of my control. I'm afraid I'll have to miss more of the summer outside, and of my girls'.

#24 ·
Personally...I'd love to fast forward through the summer to the end when I get to have my buttercup in my arms all pink and wiggly. I'd feel much better if I could do that. Unfortunately, I have to just hang out and WAIT. I can understand the anxiety....big time.

Sending you warmth and sticky baby thoughts! And hey...hanging out on a lawn chair by a blow up pool in the summer isn't the worst thing that could happen... but bed rest in the winter? no thanks. ugggg....

#25 ·
Thinking of you!! Stay in there and cook, little guy!!!

#26 ·
Oh no! Hang in there! I know how it feels and what a scary situation it truly is. With my son, I almost delivered him at right around 7 months because they couldn't control my contractions. I was in and out of L&D 8-9 times if not more and had some very close calls where they almost had to airlift me to a different hospital because nothing they were giving me would stop the contractions. I spent two months straight on strict bed rest and felt like a complete prisoner in my own home while taking medicines to keep me from going back into labor. Praying for you and your little boy! I hope he stays in and continues to bake a pt least a little longer if not full term!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.