Who wants to raise their hemoglobin/improve their diet with me? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last
August 2011 > Who wants to raise their hemoglobin/improve their diet with me?
Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 07:23 PM 05-27-2011

I did fabulous with protein today!!!

B - 3 pieces french toast, iced coffee half decaf

L - huge salad

S - vegetarian chicken salad sandwich 

S - 2 chocolate chip cookies

S - small bowl of cherries

D - 2 bowls of pasta w/vegan alfredo sauce, 3 gardein chicken tenders with honey mustard, iced tea

Dessert - 2 dark chocolate covered pretzels, some milk.

PS - CCL, I know what you mean about this thread helping you stay on track.  I didn't get any ice cream with butterscotch today even though I was srsly craving it b/c I didn't want to record it!!!  LOL!!

PPS - none of this would have been possible without my Pepcid.  I cannot put into words how it feels, it's like having my life back!!!

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 08:08 AM 05-29-2011

Yay for pepcid and protein, Carrie! CCL, does it help at all to mix the Floradix with juice?

Yesterday was not great due to us spending all day out... today is better.

B - Muesli with milk

S - Floravital, folic acid

L - Variety of ethnic food at the fair

S - Mango milkshake... was going to be a mango lassi but we had leftover ice cream

D - Beef nachos with veggies, salsa, sour cream

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 09:04 AM 05-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

S - Mango milkshake... was going to be a mango lassi but we had leftover ice cream

MMmmm mango lassi....

CrazyCatLady's Avatar CrazyCatLady 11:28 AM 05-29-2011

I have finally figured out how to drink my floradix!  I put 20ml in a shot glass and top with a little bit of juice.  Then I fill another shot glass with just juice.  Hold nose, down both "shots", and done!  Kind of a production, but at least I can get my two servings in a day verses just wasting bottle after bottle of that stuff. :) So I am doing that morning and night and taking a floradix pill in the afternoons.  I hope i start feeling better soon.

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 11:13 AM 05-30-2011

Yay for finding a way to take Floradix!

B - Banana, 2 blueberry muffins, rrl/nettle infusion, plain yogurt

L - Breaded fish, potatoes with skins, egg-dill sauce, dark rye bread with butter, grated carrots, buttermilk

S - Sesame-almond bar, apple, floravital, shared a kebab and fries with DH redface.gif

D - Potato-herb soup

Lynann's Avatar Lynann 12:03 PM 05-31-2011

A 3 day holiday weekend with DH home and the first of DS's first birthday celebrations isn't helping me focus on the iron consumption (Does triple fudge chocolate cake have any iron? Sheepish.gif) However DH is very good at making sure I'm eating enough protein when he's home. Ironically its actually easier to keep on track when he isn't about as it is just part of my routine when he is gone to work.

This week isn't going to be good I can tell already.

On Saturday we had a cook-out with our Sunday School Class (its an adult class my DH teaches) to celebrate one class member's 40th & DS's 1st birthdays. Cook-outs always have too many desserts, not including the triple fudge chocolate birthday cake mentioned above.

Tomorrow is DS's actual birthday, and although it'll just be the 3 of us (my family by Skype doesn't count as they can't share the goodies with us) I still feel that I need to make some cupcakes, so DS has one with a candle he can blow out on his actual birthday.

Then this coming Saturday DH's parents, brother & SIL are coming to visit to celebrate the first birthday again, so this will mean more snack food and yet another birthday cake. Good job I'm not watching my weight right now. I hope all this extra sugar this week doesn't do too much harm, as I have my next blood draw for my hemoglobin count in 2 weeks.

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 05:38 AM 06-01-2011

Mmmm triple fudge cake! drool.gif I know, social events are the worst, they always have so much sweet stuff. I'm curious, does sugar intake have an effect on hemoglobin production or is it just that sugary food is replacing real food?

Yesterday included fish and chips plus chocolate ice cream, and I had muffins for breakfast shy.gif I'm going to be better from now on, really!

B - Granola, raw milk, rrl/nettle infusion

L1 - Macaroni-ground meat casserole, grated carrots, dark rye bread and butter

L2 - Leftover bolognese over rice noodles, green salad, Floravital

D - Kebab and fries, potato chips in the park, a few swigs of DH's beer. Noooo, I was doing so well! Sigh. I'm almost ready to just give up.

Lynann's Avatar Lynann 05:53 AM 06-01-2011

I think its just that we don't have room for the real food when we eat at the sugary food.

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 06:14 AM 06-01-2011

Ugh, yes, holidays are the WORST -- for any kind of healthy diet, no matter how much you try or have good intentions to try!  Monday (Memorial Day) was a complete bust for me.  I had 2 red velvet cupcakes, loads of chips and salsa.  I'm not even going to go there with recording that day!

I'll do yesterday.

B - WW bread with peanut butter, coffee w/cream & sugar

L - Subway 6" veggie delite, some raspberry iced tea

S - PB&J on WW, some microwave popcorn

D - creole red beans and quinoa, iced tea with yellow dock

S/Dessert - a few chocolate covered cherries and 1/2 a choc covered pretzel, huge glass of soymilk

Did my yellow dock twice (supposed to be 3 times, fail), and had my benefiber (x2) and my dulcolax.  And my prenatal.  Did good for supplements at least!  Could have used more greens.

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 07:46 PM 06-01-2011

Ok, lets go!

B - Oatmeal with agave and craisins and soymilk, coffee with cream and sugar

L - 1/2 a regular size quiznos sub - veggie, pink lemonade; grande coconut mocha frappucino

S - apple

D - plate of quinoa and creole red beans

S - some chocolate covered cherries

S - PB & J on WW with 12 oz soymilk

Again - where are all my greens?  I'm avoiding them like the plague!!  Ugh!!  

Got in all my supplements though!! Yellow dock, benefiber, dulcolax, and prenatal.  

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 09:32 AM 06-02-2011

B1 - The last of the blueberry muffins, muesli, raw milk, nettle/rrl

B2 - Spinach and feta omelette

L - Burger and fries (from real potatoes), cole slaw, piece of chocolate

S - Half a cinnamon roll, black tea, Floravital a couple hours later

D - Will be tofu coconut curry with asparagus, turnips, and whatever other random veggie we need to use up, jasmine rice

We also spent all day walking around outside so I feel fine about the semi-junky lunch and snack.

CrazyCatLady's Avatar CrazyCatLady 12:58 PM 06-02-2011

Today:

B - Ensure

B2 - Raisin Bran w/ soy milk

Floradix and other vitamins

L - Two eggs in a tortilla

S -Grapes, Apple

D - Will be working all night but will have a salad with greens and raisins when I get home.

S - Possibly another Ensure if I am starving from work.

Floradix and meds.

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 03:13 PM 06-02-2011

B - cocoa pebbles in soymilk; banana; coffee with sugar and creamer

S - a few forkfulls of leftover creole red beans from last nights dinner

L - one soft bean taco from Taco bell, and split a caramel apple thingy with DD, some pink lemonade

L2 - veggie baloney sandwich on ww, iced tea

S - TONSSSS of watermelon, fresh cut, one Oreo cookie, 6 chocolate covered cherries

D - Boca chick'n patty on a bun, side salad with olives, craisins, nuts, chickpeas and french dressing

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 11:11 AM 06-03-2011

B - Oat toast with peanut butter, raw milk, rrl/nettle

L1 - Roast beef sandwich on whole wheat, orange juice

L2 - Mozzarella-pesto baguette

S - Apple

D - Leftover tofu curry and rice, will take Floravital later

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 04:50 PM 06-03-2011

Today might be the worst day food wise ever!!

B - homemade banana chocolate chip muffin, coffee, half an everything bagel with lite cc

L - slice of plain pizza, Green Tea Snapple

S - vanilla milkshake (OMG I had SUCH heartburn from the pizza, I tried I think it's Bree's trick with the milkshakes!  I was desperate!)

D - take out chinese

OMG my poor baby!  I'm sorry!!

CrazyCatLady's Avatar CrazyCatLady 04:59 PM 06-03-2011

Today has sucked for me so far too.  I've either been out of the house, or too weak/hungry to cook or make anything substantial. 

B - 2 tortillas

B2 - Instant carnation breakfast drink with soymilk

L - Raisin Bran

S - Lots of red grapes and ice water

S - Ensure

No supplements (yet)

Blah.  And I really want a smoothie and pastry from starbucks! 

I need to boil some darn eggs so that I can eat them in a salad tonight and try and salvage what's left of the day I guess.  Also need to down some floradix like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Today might be the worst day food wise ever!!

B - homemade banana chocolate chip muffin, coffee, half an everything bagel with lite cc

L - slice of plain pizza, Green Tea Snapple

S - vanilla milkshake (OMG I had SUCH heartburn from the pizza, I tried I think it's Bree's trick with the milkshakes!  I was desperate!)

D - take out chinese

OMG my poor baby!  I'm sorry!!

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 12:44 AM 06-05-2011

Well I had some sort of stomach bug on Friday night and spent Sat drinking sugar-salt water and not eating. I feel pretty good today though. You know, this is the 2nd time in the 3rd tri that I have puked up my dinner. I *never* do that otherwise. Not even once in the 1st tri. I think it must have something to do with the squished digestive system. Nice!

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 06:31 AM 06-06-2011

Today... And goodness I am still feeling weak from my not-eating day. It was definitely what my body needed but I am getting seriously out of breath just walking now!

B - Feta-cucumber-oat bread sandwich

L - Dal and rice

S - Floradix, watermelon

D - Will be salmon, boiled potatoes, sour cream-dill dip and boiled asparagus

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 06:44 AM 06-06-2011

How did I miss this thread the past few days!  Sorry you've been sick Urs!!  Hang in there!!  I've been more nauseous than usual lately too -- sucks having very little room in there for food.  I have to eat in shifts, it seems.  I'll get super full and then maybe 15-20 min later am starving again and have another helping of dinner!

Here's yesterday:

B - 1/2 a sesame bagel with butter, coffee with sugar and cream

L - 1/2 boca chik'n patty sandwich, virgin pina colada (I was hoping it would help with the heartburn, and it did!!)

D - peanuty stir fry w/green beans, tofu, broccoli, cauliflower, over quinoa

S - apple

MNS - tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter and a huge glass of soymilk

All supplements down the hatch!!! 

Lynann's Avatar Lynann 07:15 AM 06-06-2011

The birthday celebrations are finally all over and most of the cake is gone, so I am going to try and get back on track today. I have my next blood draw a week on Thursday at my next MW appointment so I really need to be good between now and then.

B1 - Scrambled Eggs & WW Toast with coffee

B2 - Homemade granola with organic milk

Planned for the rest of the day

S  - last piece of "healthy" chocolate cake I made for DS's birthday cake. (It is dairy free so no butter, eggs etc)

L  - Bagel with Cream Cheese with Watermelon and homemade yogurt sweetened with raw honey, prenatal etc

S  - Orange & Ice Cream frozen bar thing (can't remember the name, we'd call them Ice Lollies back in Scotland)

D  - Chicken baked in Balsamic sauce with vegetable couscous & sauteed spinach & onion

S  - If I'm still hungry it'll be whatever DH makes me yummy.gif

I'll also have at least one pot of RRL tea, juice/water with floradix (probably have this with dinner) and several glasses of water over the course of the day.

CrazyCatLady's Avatar CrazyCatLady 08:32 AM 06-06-2011

I finished a whole bottle of Floradix!!!!  It's the first time I didn't waste it and throw it all away.  The shot glass thing has worked out really well for me.

Yesterday (not very healthy day):

B - Raisin Bran and Soy Milk

OJ with Emergen-C, Floradix pill

L - Piece of Pizza and an Ensure

S - Strawberry banana smoothie and a carrot cake cupcake from Starbucks

D - Black bean burrito (I really just picked at the tortilla) and grapes

OJ with Emergen-C and liquid Floradix

S - Ensure

Meds and other vitamins

I have a bad cold and morning sickness.  My appetite and energy to eat well are almost non-existent.  But I get really shaky and sick if I don't eat.  Blah.

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 11:48 AM 06-06-2011

Thanks Carrie :)

Lyn, balsamic sauce sounds amazing. Care to share the recipe?

Melaya, I see you finally got your smoothie and pastry :D

I was doing great today and then we went to pick up some stuff from a friend and we got offered sweet buns and sugary juice. Oops! Oh well, at least I got nutrients otherwise today. I have my next mw appt on Friday... really hoping my hemo has risen in the last 4 weeks!

Lynann's Avatar Lynann 12:38 PM 06-06-2011

Recipe alert yummy.gif eat.gif

Balsamic Sauce

(good for Chicken, Fish and chunky Veggies)

1 onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, crushed

1/2 - 1 cup stock

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 -1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes

Saute onion & garlic until they start to carmelize

Add stock & vinegar to deglaze. Boil until it starts to thicken

Add tomatoes

Pour over chicken, fish or veg

Bake in a medium oven until done. (For chicken this takes about 30-45 min, fish about 15-20 min & veg about an hour)

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 02:18 AM 06-07-2011

Oh yum Lyn, thank you!

Today started off ok... but it's hot and I'll probably be outside later so I'm sort of counting on some ice cream shy.gif

B - Granola with plain yogurt and blueberries, rrl/nettle

S - Bagel with a ridiculously small amount of feta and veggies - when will I learn that the uni cafeteria does not always have a good price-value relationship

L - WW baguette with smoked salmon paste, veggies, and a hardboiled egg

S - Phish food ice cream, a small beef+beans tostada, orange juice, Floradix

D - Going to be bolognese sauce over rice pasta with a green salad as soon as I can haul myself off my arse and do all the dishes so I can cook...

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 05:53 AM 06-07-2011

Quote:
I have my next mw appt on Friday... really hoping my hemo has risen in the last 4 weeks!

I have my blood draw today!!  FXed for a nice high platelet count!! fingersx.gif

Here is yesterday:

B - small banana, 1/2 sesame bagel with cream cheese, some sweet tea from DD

S-  a few Oreo cookies & soymilk

L - 1/2 regular size quiznos veggie sub with guac, pink lemonade

D - 2 homemade crunchy tacos, boca crumbles, daiya cheese, and sour cream, iced tea

S - apple, veggie baloney sandwich on WW, water

MNS - TB of peanut butter and soymilk

Lynann's Avatar Lynann 06:11 AM 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I have my blood draw today!!  FXed for a nice high platelet count!! fingersx.gif

Here is yesterday:

B - small banana, 1/2 sesame bagel with cream cheese, some sweet tea from DD

S-  a few Oreo cookies & soymilk

L - 1/2 regular size quiznos veggie sub with guac, pink lemonade

D - 2 homemade crunchy tacos, boca crumbles, daiya cheese, and sour cream, iced tea

S - apple, veggie baloney sandwich on WW, water

MNS - TB of peanut butter and soymilk

Hope everything goes well at your blood draw Carrie. I know the platelet count is even more important than the hemoglobin count.

Here's to high numbers for all of us. praying.gif

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 09:24 AM 06-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

Hope everything goes well at your blood draw Carrie. I know the platelet count is even more important than the hemoglobin count.

Here's to high numbers for all of us. praying.gif

Yes indeed!

What actually is the platelet count? innocent.gif I don't think they do that here. At least nobody has mentioned it to me.

Lynann's Avatar Lynann 07:02 AM 06-08-2011

The platelets are the part that are important to blood clotting. I remember from last time that my MW was keeping her eye on the platelet count even though she never said what it actually was. It was only because of my anemia, and she said that even though my hemoglobin was low my platelet count was good so she wasn't concerned about me bleeding too much during birth. They may check your platelet count but not mention it to you if it isn't an issue. I think it is just part of the full blood count.

I have my next one a week tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see if it has gone up any from earlier in the pregnancy. Last time with DS it did go up a little, but I was still classed anemic. This time I'll just be happy if it hasn't gone down.

Baby_Cakes's Avatar Baby_Cakes 02:19 PM 06-08-2011

Quote:

Yes indeed!

What actually is the platelet count? innocent.gif I don't think they do that here. At least nobody has mentioned it to me.

Yep, Lyn is right.  It's the clotting factor in the blood.  It was part of just the normal blood test, on the page of results with the hemocrit and hemoglobin is a column for platelets.  The big issue is with low platelets, my mw says she isn't comfortable keeping me home for the birth b/c of the risk of PPH.  I'm really, REALLY rooting for higher than 140 this time!!  UGH, if not, I'll just start grazing.  Put me out in a field of spinach or something and let me at it!!

ursusarctos's Avatar ursusarctos 02:40 AM 06-09-2011

Hmm, I only had bloodwork done once and didn't get sent the results. I guess if I wanted them I could request them... I assume they checked platelets since it was an actual blood draw. After that it's just been a finger prick for hemo though.

fingersx.gif for your platelets Carrie.

Tags: Vitanica Iron Extra 60 Caps , Diet Cure For Common Ailments , Eating Your Way To Fitness Secrets Revealed Plus Bonus
1  2  3 4  5  ... Last

Up