Who wants to raise their hemoglobin/improve their diet with me? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ok, I'm jumping back in!

So, I've got about 4-5 weeks now to really improve my numbers.  Hold me accountable ladies, I might need tough love.  I'm going to do another draw around 37 weeks to confirm my platelet count is indeed over 100.  That's the magic number to keep my home birth!

And, not for nothing, but my iron was right at the low end of normal, so I'm thinking that this is all b/c of the normal 3rd trimester blood volume increase.  Still, it can't hurt to try, right?  At least then I can say I did all I could.  I'm going to really add in vitamin C every day (how much do you think is good per day?  1000mg?  500mg?) and start up again with Floradix.  I bought more yellow dock to take 2-3 times a day.  Going to keep up with the whole foods and the protein shakes, of course, just for general purposes.  

B - 2 slices whole grain toast with earth balance and nutritional yeast, glass of soymillk, cup of coffee with sugar and creamer.

How is everyone else doing?  Lyn, I think I read in another thread that your DH hooked you up with some great protein/iron sources!  That's awesome!  CCL - how have you been feeling?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#122 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 06:06 AM

My doctor never called.  So either she really sucks...or my numbers went up some.  Both are possible knowing that clinic.

I need to jump back in too.  After my appointment on Wed, I have been so bad about eating and taking my supplements.  My iron and protein intake has sucked, I keep eating junk food and dairy products, and I keep not taking all of my floradix doses.  That is just unacceptable.  I will post my diet here again at the end of the day to hold myself accountable.  Thanks for re-jumping the thread!

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#123 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Good that you started this thread back up again Carrie. My numbers rose as I hoped but I've sort of been celebrating by eating crap for the past 2 weeks orngtongue.gif And this weekend I've been out of town so not taking my Floradix. Would really suck if they fell again, and I'd prefer for them to go up still. This thread was really good for accountability so I'll keep posting too. (Starting tomorrow. Today is just too shameful already.)

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#124 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 04:39 PM

We're all so close to the end its really tempting to let things slip. That's what had me leaking protein during my last two weeks last time. (And swelling up like a ballon.)

DH took me shopping for protein mix on Friday night so I am now under orders from him to have a protein milkshake every day. The protein mix is chocolate flavored (his choice) and I mix it with a cup of milk and a cup of vanilla ice cream to make the milk shake. The mix has 15g protein per scoop, and the milk is another 8g and the ice cream 6g so that's a whopping 29g of protein for one glass of milkshake. I just need to take it at a different time to my other supplements as all that dairy counteracts iron absorption.

My MW has recommended taking the Floradix 3 times a day, so I'm down to taking smaller amounts of juice with it, as I can't drink 3 glasses of juice a day on top of all the water & fit in RRL tea. I've also added in a glass of Emergen-C as it not only has the 1000mg of vit C but is also loaded with B6 & B12, so that is more pills I can avoid while increasing my fluids.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I finding it really difficult to eat everything I need to and drink everything I need to. There just doesn't seem to be enough room in either my stomach or my bladder, and I've still got over 9 weeks of growth as I'm not due until the very end of August. I'm so ready for this stage to be over and this baby to be in my arms.

Well its time to go and eat again, some fresh mozarella & tomatoes.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#125 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I don't know about the rest of you, but I finding it really difficult to eat everything I need to and drink everything I need to. There just doesn't seem to be enough room in either my stomach or my bladder, and I've still got over 9 weeks of growth as I'm not due until the very end of August. I'm so ready for this stage to be over and this baby to be in my arms.

yeahthat.gif

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#126 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 08:24 PM

Ok, here's today.  Not exactly proud of it, but it is what it is:

B - Last two oreos lol

B - Shredded mini wheats and soy milk

L - Left over rice and veggies from local Chinese place

S - Carnation instant breakfast shake (w/ soymilk)

D - Taco meat in a tortilla and green grapes

S - Another Carnation drink

And two 20ml doses of Floradix (was supposed to be three doses)

I realize I could have eaten more fruits, veggies, protein, and cut back on the soy products.  But is this a lot of food for a pregnant person?  Or not enough?  Anyone have a clue?  I am still not used to being on real food instead of the Ensures, so I am a little lost on how much a normal pregnant lady really eats.  Hard to get healthy when I have no idea what the norm is yk?

#127 of 182 Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Melaya, I think that's about how much I eat, and I guess you could call me healthy for the most part. Never been super skinny/lean, but that's just my body type. 

I didn't change much about my eating habits since being pregnant except for increasing amount, and maybe more snacks.

I crave oreos all the time. You're not helping!

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#128 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Melaya, I think that sounds like a perfectly normal amount of food just judging by what I normally eat. If most of the time you're not hungry but also not stuffed you're right on track!

Lyn, I agree, it's so easy to just want to forget about it at this stage! Especially as I'm 35 weeks already so I keep feeling like, oh, I'm practically done, right? But no, it's still so important to eat well in these last weeks... if nothing else, so I will have reserves to draw on postpartum!

B - 2 scrambled eggs, rye toast with butter, plain yogurt, a banana, rrl/nettle infusion

L - Rye crispbread with butter, pickled herring, strawberries

D - Beef tacos and bean tostadas at the only real Mexican food place in town yummy.gif, giant scoop of chocolate ice cream

S1 - Orange juice, Floradix

S2 - Rye toast with butter and cheese

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#129 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM

Here is today's plan:

B: Pumpkin bread toast & peanut butter with a cup of black coffee

B: 2 boiled eggs, fresh fruit salad, supplements & 1st Floradix

S: Protein Bar (15g)

L: Leftover Lamb Biryani, tomato salad & 2nd Floradix

S: Cream Cheese & Crackers

D: This is a surprise as we are going to friends for dinner. I'll take my 3rd Floradix just before we leave.

S: Protein Milkshake (30g!!!)

As much as I need to get my hemoglobin up a bit before my MW retests at 36 weeks I also really, really need to keep focusing on my protein intake too. I did so well until the last 4-6 weeks last time and then I started to have some real problems with swelling and leaking protein into my urine because I wasn't consuming enough. I did pass the pre-eclampsia screen, but failed the 24hr urine collection big time (fortunately that result didn't come back until after DS was born.) It gets so hard that last month when there is no room for food, but we still need to keep eating just as much. It'll mean going from eating 7 times a day (as I am right now) to probably eating every hour that I'm awake, as I know I won't be able to eat any real quantity by the beginning of August. As someone who used to be Bulimic it is really tough for me to have to be thinking about what I am eating ALL the time. Fortunately I have you all here to help me keep on the straight and narrow, and a wonderful DH who also will ask me if I've eaten enough during the day. He watched me get worse each day towards the end the last time and he is even more determined than I am that it won't happen again.

Melaya, I think you're doing really well, especially considering how long its been since you ate regular meals. Keep going, the health rewards are definitely worth it.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#130 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
 As someone who used to be Bulimic it is really tough for me to have to be thinking about what I am eating ALL the time. Fortunately I have you all here to help me keep on the straight and narrow, and a wonderful DH who also will ask me if I've eaten enough during the day. He watched me get worse each day towards the end the last time and he is even more determined than I am that it won't happen again.

Aww Lyn that must be really tough! hug2.gif But how great that you have such a sweet husband who cares so much.

#131 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Aww Lyn that must be really tough! hug2.gif But how great that you have such a sweet husband who cares so much.

Thanks. I was really bad in my late teens & early twenties. They do say its a bit like alcoholism in that you are never really completely cured of an eating disorder. Although I've had a tendency towards either overeating or not eating at all at times its been pretty under control for about 15 years. Mostly I just try not to think about food and use hunger cues to eat by. However being pregnant involves being more careful about what I eat. I know I had the problems I did at the end last time because I got into that "not eating at all" place which isn't good for either me or the baby. DH is great and does what he can to encourage me, but he is at work all day so doesn't actually see how much I do or don't eat. I am trying to focus on doing what is best for the baby, but I still have to remind myself to eat. It seems that I've got to that "not eating at all" place even earlier than last time. If I could I would go the whole day without eating. Every day I have to keep reminding myself to eat regularly, even though I really don't want to, and nothing seems appealing.

That's part of the reason we have an 8 week menu plan for dinner, so I don't have to be thinking about what to make. I just make whatever is on the menu for that night. I probably should do something similar for breakfast & lunch and prepare snacks, as then it wouldn't matter what I felt like AND I wouldn't have to be thinking about it all the time.

But having the rest of you to share my diet with helps me to just focus on food at the beginning of the day. Once its written down I don't have to think about it other than reminding myself it is time for the next meal or snack.

#132 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's part of the reason we have an 8 week menu plan for dinner, so I don't have to be thinking about what to make. I just make whatever is on the menu for that night. I probably should do something similar for breakfast & lunch and prepare snacks, as then it wouldn't matter what I felt like AND I wouldn't have to be thinking about it all the time.

That's actually a really good idea... I've never had an eating disorder but I definitely forget to eat/ignore my hunger when I don't have a plan and then end up feeling crappy... and somehow it's always harder to keep breakfast and lunch in mind.

#133 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM

Hugs, Lyn.  hug2.gif  You are doing great!

AFM - 

B - coffee/sugar/creamer; half a cinnamon raisin bagel with earth balance, gatorade

S - 1/2 a banana

L - 1/2 large veggie sub from Quiznos, one tiny sip of lemonade, water

D - small spinach salad with edamame, cukes, carrots, peas.  I was so full I could barely eat.

S - shared a bowl of multigrain cheerios with DD before bed.

S- protein shake (30-35 g protein)

I am SO FULL from drinking water!  OMG I have to do a gallon a day b/c I have a UTI and I have no room for anything. greensad.gif  I've had 5 out of my 7 18 oz glasses and Im about to float away!  I should just permanently stay on the toilet, srsly.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#134 of 182 Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM

so my midwife has recommended liquid chlorophyll for my low iron. I took my first dose yesterday in water. ICK! Still better than the headaches I was getting on the iron tablets. 
I think I'm going to try it in juice or a smoothie next and see if that helps. It smells like guinea pig food though. :P 

B: bowl of yogurt burst Cheerios and 2% milk

lunch: Pancakes with butter and a little syrup
Snack: no bake cookies
dinner: Poppy seed chicken, salad with cheese, tomato's, croutons, and Italian dressing
Snack: caramel ice cream

Beverages: water, orange juice, and a small bit of stevia sweetened soda(ick)

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#135 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinbopbop View Post

so my midwife has recommended liquid chlorophyll for my low iron. I took my first dose yesterday in water. ICK! Still better than the headaches I was getting on the iron tablets. 
I think I'm going to try it in juice or a smoothie next and see if that helps. It smells like guinea pig food though. :P 

I take this sometimes too!  I'm going to try to drink it twice today.  Did you get the concentrate?  Mine is 18 drops in water.  To me it just smells/tastes like fresh cut grass or something, lol!

DH also picked me up some Floradix at Whole Foods.  I'm going to start that tonight.

Ok - new day!

B - bowl of cheerios in soymilk, coffee/creamer/sugar

S - Lemon Cliff Builder Bar - 20 grams of protein!  Woo hoo!

L - Boca burger on whole grain bread, 1/2 can of pineapple rings (25-30 g protein)

S- a few squares of dark chocolate

S - Peanut butter and banana on whole grain bread (12 in the bread)

D- Whole grain pasta with nutritional yeast and earth balance, 2 boca chickn patties cut up on top.  (22 in the patties, ~10 in the pasta/nooch)

S-

I might not need a shake today!  I'm up to about 80-90 g of accountable protein already!

Supplements -- 4 cranactin; 2 doses yellow dock; prenatal; and SEVEN 18 oz glasses of water.  I'm floating away....

#136 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

B - (over a period of several hours) Strawberries, a banana, egg-cheese-lettuce-rye sandwich, bowl of honey nut cheerios with milk (thank goodness those sugar bombs are gone... whole grain my @ss - why do I buy this stuff for myself?)

L - Mozzarella-pesto baguette

S - Buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup, butter, and plain yogurt, rrl/nettle infusion

D - Will be pinto beans cooked with red palm oil, tomatoes, spinach, garlic, and onions, and a fried egg on the side. Oh and Floradix.

#137 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM

I just noticed today that I have a lot more energy than I've had the last few weeks.  All the floradix (and random slow-fe pills) must be starting to work.  I'm taking 2-3 20ml doses a day, which isn't cheap, on top of all the red meat I've been choking down.  Glad to finally start noticing some results!

#138 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Great that you're finally noticing a change for the better!

#139 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I take this sometimes too!  I'm going to try to drink it twice today.  Did you get the concentrate?  Mine is 18 drops in water.  To me it just smells/tastes like fresh cut grass or something, lol!

DH also picked me up some Floradix at Whole Foods.  I'm going to start that tonight.

Ok - new day!

B - bowl of cheerios in soymilk, coffee/creamer/sugar

S - Lemon Cliff Builder Bar - 20 grams of protein!  Woo hoo!

L - 

S-

D-

S-

Supplements -- 2 cranactin

yep that's the kind I got. I did feel pretty good yesterday after having it Sunday night so it definitely is worth it. Just nasty. lol I need to take it today! 

So far today:
B- rice crispies with milk and sugar

L- ?
S-
D-
S- 
BEverages: Sip of decaff coffee with organic half and half, and 2.5 spoons of sugar.

(trying to ween myself down to no sugar in my coffee. I started at 8 spoons in 8 oz about a year ago so I'm getting so close! also switched from the sweetened creamer to half and half and love the flavor so much more!)

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#140 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, bobbin, that is a serious reduction in sugar! Congratulations! I was so addicted to sugar at one point, I know how hard it is to even cut back.

Can you take the chlorophyll in juice or something to cut the taste?

#141 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM

I totally use like 5-6 packets of sugar in my coffee when I'm out so I hear you!!  That's AWESOME.  Good for you!!  

I updated my food log for the day - I'm at like 90 g of protein w/o shakes!  Woo hoo!  And I did take all my supplements, too.

#142 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Wow, bobbin, that is a serious reduction in sugar! Congratulations! I was so addicted to sugar at one point, I know how hard it is to even cut back.

Can you take the chlorophyll in juice or something to cut the taste?

I plan to. I have to see if it tastes better in oj or cranberry. Maybe it would be ok in tea? Hummmm. Thanks for the congrats. I've been working really hard on my sugar consumption. I do feel regular sugar is better for my body as I'm allergic to artifical sweeteners, but I also feel it's good to limit it so I can enjoy it more in things like cookies or tea rather than sooo much at once in my coffee. :) 

#143 of 182 Old 06-28-2011, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats Carrie! That's a ton of protein!

Bobbin, I agree with you that real sugar is better than artificial sweeteners.

#144 of 182 Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

B - Orange juice, mozzarella sandwich, blueberry-vanilla smoothie

L - A salad with greek meatball and feta, green tea, foccacia with cream cheese spread, a lemon cookie

S - Strawberries

D - Bean enchiladas, tortilla chips, a small cone of chocolate ice cream

S - 3 Weetabix with raw milk, Floradix later

#145 of 182 Old 06-29-2011, 06:23 PM

just for the record the chlorophyll is much better in juice. Still a bit sour but not nearly so icky. 

B: carnation instant breakfast (9g protein), 3 apple cinnamon Muffins (?)

Lunch: Salad, baby spiniach, tomatos, white onion, and tuna(16g protein)
Snack: rice crispies (homemade)

Dinner: Shrimp scampi pasta(4g protein)

Beverages: Water, 2% Milk, Orange Juice (unknown protein amount, didn't think to check)

Snack: Ice cream. :) 

#146 of 182 Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

B - Weetabix with milk, a banana, rrl/nettle infusion

L - A double cheeseburger, half a bottle of Fanta (needed comfort food after stupid ob appt)

S - Banana, cornflakes with milk

D - Lamb curry, dal, basmati rice (I've really been keeping the local indian place in business this year...), chocolate protein shake

S - Fresh strawberries, Floradix

#147 of 182 Old 06-30-2011, 11:17 AM

My day so far is no good.  greensad.gif  I feel like grazing today.

B - cheerios/raisin bran with soymilk; Cliff Builder Bar (20g); coffee/creamer/sugar

S - 3-4 Berry Oreos, tons of carrots with hummus

L - skipped it. I know, bad!

S - grapes, more oreos

S- PROTEIN SHAKE.  (~50 g)

D - the plan is to grill!  Corn, burgers (boca), potatoes, and some vegan sausages.  YUM!  Can't wait for dinner tonight!!

#148 of 182 Old 07-01-2011, 04:03 PM

Today is pitiful!  I need a swift kick in the arse, ladies.  irked.gif  Do I want to have this baby at home or don't I???

B - cheerios/raisin bran with soymilk; glazed donut from dunkin donuts; few sips of cherry coolata; vitamin water zero

L - Cliff Builder Bar

S - Wheat Thins Sticks.  A bunch.

S - grapes; BBQ Pringles.

D- vegan pizza w/daiya and veggie pepperoni

ADS - protein shake is a MUST.

I was going to have ice cream tonight but I think with the cookies yesterday and the donut this morning, baby needs FOOD and not JUNK.  Ugh.

Water - I'm on glass 4/7; taken only 1 dose of Yellow Dock so far; PN; cranactin.

GRRR.  I really need to get on the ball!!! 

#149 of 182 Old 07-02-2011, 10:16 AM

Where is everyone!  C'mon girls!!  I know you're eating!!

Today is shaping up a bit better so far:

B - Cheerios/raisin bran with soymilk; coffee with sugar and creamer; medium banana

S - Protein shake (~50 g)

L - whole wheat pasta with earth balance and nutritional yeast; boca chickn patty (~20 g, probably more)

S - apple

S - banana; bowl of cheerios with DD

D - black bean/pinto bean taco with daiya and sour cream

#150 of 182 Old 07-03-2011, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Hah, I think my baby is going to be half nacho and half cornflakes... you're not alone with the junk food Carrie. Especially in the first tri when I just did not want real food at all.

I've been away this weekend but didn't eat that badly after all. Today's dinner was cornflakes and milk though orngtongue.gif Will start recording again tomorrow.

Tags
Vitanica Iron Extra 60 Caps , Diet Cure For Common Ailments , Eating Your Way To Fitness Secrets Revealed Plus Bonus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page