Who wants to raise their hemoglobin/improve their diet with me? - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 182 Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lyn, you eat meat, right?  What about soy, or do you avoid it?  Is your protein shake mix dairy based?  

For me, for protein, I usually have a veggie burger (20 g), soy yogurt (10 or so g), shake (30 or so g) and none of it is dairy based.  You can totally do this w/o dairy.  Peanut butter is another easy one.  I also get this bread from Costco, Kirkland Signature All Natural Multigrain 100% Whole Grain Bread, which has 6 g of protein per slice.  So, a typical sammie would be 2 slices of bread, some veggie protein slices (or you could use meat cold cuts) and then I'm good to go.  Or else I toast up the bread and sprinkle with margarine and nutritional yeast.  I could eat 4 slices that way!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#182 of 182 Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Carrie, thanks for the suggestions. I do eat meat, and unfortunately the protein mix is dairy based.

DH and I talked about it last night when he called, and we have decided that I'll give up all the dairy, except the protein shake once a day, and I'll have to make sure I just time it so it doesn't effect the iron. I'm also giving up the decaf for the remainder of this pregnancy, as even decaf has slight traces of caffeine, and caffeine also inhibits iron absorption. I usually only have one cup/mug a day, but it will have to go for now.

I'll have to wait until DH gets back before I can go food shopping, but I think I'll definitely be adding in some soy yogurt and nutritional yeast. As for the peanut butter I've kind of gotten sick of it recently as I've been eating it every day for the last few months. However I think it might be time to get out the jar of tahini that's been lurking at the back of the cupboard. I love tahini & honey on toast, and I know its also a good protein and nutrient dense. I think it'll also be time to start eating more steak once DH gets back. I just wish organic meats weren't so expensive, as I think I'm going to be eating a lot of meat for the remainder of this pregnancy.

Maybe I'll get lucky and the baby with come earlier rather than later. I know my sister and dad are both hoping this little one decides to arrive on my birthday (13th, and I'll be almost 38 weeks then) so that there will be a third generation with the same birthday (dad & I already share it.) Then once the baby arrives I can go back to an almost normal diet.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Tags
Vitanica Iron Extra 60 Caps , Diet Cure For Common Ailments , Eating Your Way To Fitness Secrets Revealed Plus Bonus

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page