What do you feel GOOD about today? - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 09:20 AM

I get an ultrasound today to check on baby positioning, see what's up with my low laying uterus, see if it's heart shaped, and just make sure that everything looks ok.  I'm bummed that I'm high risk enough to need an ultrasound again.  But I am thrilled to get a chance to peek on the baby!  I haven't seen her since my 19 week ultrasound and I am so nosy.  Plus I want to make sure there are still girl parts there before ordering hot pink diapers lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

You might find it's not an issue ... we babyproofed *nothing* in our house except the upstairs toilet (DS would hang out in the bathroom while I was in the shower when he was 12mths or so). We did have all cupboards with trash cans in them secured before he was born for 'dog proofing'. For a very brief period we had a gate in the upper hall to keep DS's movements limited to getting from his room to our room, but once he knew how to do the stairs, I took it down.

Anyway, DS never hurt himself on any of our furnishings. My nephew on the other hand ... many bumps, cuts & bruises in their 'fully childproofed' home. It's a lot more about personality of the child and awareness of the parents, than it is about how much you protect every surface in your house!

True.  My visually impaired daughter never managed to hurt herself in our house and we did nothing to baby proof.  My son (who could see perfectly) however found a way to hurt himself in the same home every five minutes...even after we did babyproofing because of him!

I've done a lot of childcare in my home, and boys seem to be more accident prone than girls for some reason.  But you never know.  Every kid really is really so different.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 06-27-2011, 09:48 AM

I'm having a crappy day, so I am happy to just read all the happiness here. It's something positive to know that at least other people are doing well! I mean it... I need to know that right now.

Love to you all.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM

Sorry to hear you're having a crappy day EB! I hope it turns into a better day soon, or at least one happy thing happens to balance it out a bit :)

I've found a back up caregiver locally to cover the time between **must go to hospital right this second** and the 40 min drive our babysitter will need to make to get here, which is probably the last major thing on my list. I hope we won't need to use her, and that labour is not such a rushed thing that I can't wait for our regular sitter to get here, but at least I know that IF it's fast, I do have someone available to cover the gap in time with DS!

~SynEpona~
Old 06-27-2011, 01:47 PM

I got my moby wrap in the mail today, and I ordered my birth tinctures. And looked more seriously at cloth diapers. I feel like I am getting serious about preparing, finally, and it's satisfying.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've been playing with the baby. S/he will press out on my belly, and I'll press back, or right next to it. And then they'll pick a new spot, or slide over. 

The babe is still very active, though less forceful. It's such a wonderful feeling. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

Old 06-27-2011, 09:09 PM

i love the you poke me, i poke you game with baby. luxlove.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylaskye View Post

I've been playing with the baby. S/he will press out on my belly, and I'll press back, or right next to it. And then they'll pick a new spot, or slide over. 

The babe is still very active, though less forceful. It's such a wonderful feeling. 

i am also excited that i got some major house cleaning today.... and i figured out a bed solution. we have a home made bunkbed, with the bottom bed having been made of these two organic and wool mattress that, combined, make up a queen. (awesome find on craigslist, basically brand new, i paid $50, they retail like $700). unfortunately, i live in the wet, wet northwest...and mold had become an issue (we like sleeping low to the ground, and do not have a bedframe on bottom) also, my soon to be middle had a late, exhausted night and peed the bed. :( when i had washed the mattresses before, it was almost retarded how hard it was to shove the mattresss into the giant front loader washing machine at the laundry mat. seriously, this big ol' pregnant lady cramming a mattress into the machine....fighting it....some people came over and tried to help. the first guy gave up. it was still a pia. the second guy gave up.

after taking the wet mattresses out and resettling our bedding set-up, i decided to cut them in half and sew them up again, so they are more mobile and will actually fit in a machine. turns out this was genius!! they are super manageable, and (almost) fit in my washer at home. i think they will still pan out, comfort wise, as bedding, and hell; if not, $50 for all the wool batting is still a great deal. i would be able to felt for the next decade!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

Old 06-27-2011, 10:34 PM

Hubby and I were on a walk today, when we came across a big pile of baby stuff on the curb.  On top of a hideous, pink bouncy chair, was a perfectly good copy of the Dr Sears Baby Book! Score!

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

Hubby and I were on a walk today, when we came across a big pile of baby stuff on the curb.  On top of a hideous, pink bouncy chair, was a perfectly good copy of the Dr Sears Baby Book! Score!

Definitely a score....I really love that book! And DH seems to like it too. Dr. Sears writes everything out so simply and non-condescending, and really points out how dads can not only be more involved, but some things they can be better at than moms. It's been cute to hear DH talk about what he just read in it. luxlove.gif

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 01:02 AM

I just got back from my weekly pre-natal yoga class and had a great time. One of the mama's due dates is tomorrow and even if she goes beyond that, she isn't coming to class anymore. So, that makes me the most pregnant person in the class! Yikes and woo hoo! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

At my first appointment with my first ped with my first child one of the first things he told me was "If you have a coffee table, get rid of it." I guess the biggest injury he sees in littles is falling over and cracking their head on the corner of it when they're starting to toddle.
Since my oldest is the type who runs into walls when walking down a straight hallway, for me it was good advice. lol.gif

We actually got rid of our coffee table in a fit of decluttering and it has been GREAT. I no longer have to move it to the side so I can exercise and now I don't have to worry about it being a safety hazard.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

LOL, I've got one of those walking accident children as well. Every time she cries, someone in the house will ask what happened to DD2, my standard line is, "It's DD2, what do you think?" She gets hurt doing anything. First broken bone at barely 2 just baking cookies. My 8 year who regularly does dangerous sports or activities , like extreme snowboarding, white water kayaking, rock climbing, on and on, nothing. She never gets hurts. I caught the child on TOP of the roof when she was 5, she scales up to our second floor porch from the beams rather then walk up the stairs, I think I birthed a cat rather then a child.  shake.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

I'm having a crappy day, so I am happy to just read all the happiness here. It's something positive to know that at least other people are doing well! I mean it... I need to know that right now.

Love to you all.

hug2.gifto you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

Sorry to hear you're having a crappy day EB! I hope it turns into a better day soon, or at least one happy thing happens to balance it out a bit :)

I've found a back up caregiver locally to cover the time between **must go to hospital right this second** and the 40 min drive our babysitter will need to make to get here, which is probably the last major thing on my list. I hope we won't need to use her, and that labour is not such a rushed thing that I can't wait for our regular sitter to get here, but at least I know that IF it's fast, I do have someone available to cover the gap in time with DS!

I'm hoping to have family nearby (my Mom MAY be with me the week before my due date) and I have a sister who is willing to be 2 hours away about a week before my due date. My sister is normally 6 hours away. I have another sister who is 2 hours away, but she can only come if it's the weekend and her husband isn't working. So I'm hoping my family will be here, but we're planning a backup until they can get here. An older couple from our Quaker Meeting are willing to be backups, but they live 45 minutes from us and DS doesn't know them so well. I have a friend who I may ask to be a possible backup until family can arrive, but she is 20-25 minutes away and I don't think she can take time off work, so it will be a possible evening/weekend thing. DS LOVES this friend, though. ... I'm trying not to stress over it, but I am worried. With my DS I went into labor on my due date and her was born the day after. Still, I know this babe could come earlier than 40 weeks. I just have no family in the area and few friends I can call on.  Actually, I just thought of 1 friend that DS doesn't know well, a nice older lady who lives about 10 minutes away. Maybe I'll talk to  her about being a possible backup. It should be easy to arrange a few visits between now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

I got my moby wrap in the mail today, and I ordered my birth tinctures. And looked more seriously at cloth diapers. I feel like I am getting serious about preparing, finally, and it's satisfying.

This is where I am, as well, although I don't yet have the money to make purchases. I may make some small purchases. I finally completed my "Before Baby" list of tasks to complete and it's daunting, but DH has asked to see it. I hope he's ready to start working hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylaskye View Post

I could never get my DS to play that game. Maybe I'll try it with this babe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevena true View Post

i love the you poke me, i poke you game with baby. luxlove.gif

i am also excited that i got some major house cleaning today.... and i figured out a bed solution. we have a home made bunkbed, with the bottom bed having been made of these two organic and wool mattress that, combined, make up a queen. (awesome find on craigslist, basically brand new, i paid $50, they retail like $700). unfortunately, i live in the wet, wet northwest...and mold had become an issue (we like sleeping low to the ground, and do not have a bedframe on bottom) also, my soon to be middle had a late, exhausted night and peed the bed. :( when i had washed the mattresses before, it was almost retarded how hard it was to shove the mattresss into the giant front loader washing machine at the laundry mat. seriously, this big ol' pregnant lady cramming a mattress into the machine....fighting it....some people came over and tried to help. the first guy gave up. it was still a pia. the second guy gave up.

after taking the wet mattresses out and resettling our bedding set-up, i decided to cut them in half and sew them up again, so they are more mobile and will actually fit in a machine. turns out this was genius!! they are super manageable, and (almost) fit in my washer at home. i think they will still pan out, comfort wise, as bedding, and hell; if not, $50 for all the wool batting is still a great deal. i would be able to felt for the next decade!

I'm HOPING to get major house cleaning done today. I have to step away from the computer. It's so hard because I feel like I don't have time to contribute to these threads. I read them, but when it comes to responding, I don't always have the time, but there are always things I want to share.

Quote:

Awesome score!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I just got back from my weekly pre-natal yoga class and had a great time. One of the mama's due dates is tomorrow and even if she goes beyond that, she isn't coming to class anymore. So, that makes me the most pregnant person in the class! Yikes and woo hoo! 

Woo-hoo!!!! That must feel awesome!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I'm HOPING to get major house cleaning done today. I have to step away from the computer. It's so hard because I feel like I don't have time to contribute to these threads. I read them, but when it comes to responding, I don't always have the time, but there are always things I want to share.

This could be why my house is always a mess....whistling.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-28-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

LOL, I've got one of those walking accident children as well. Every time she cries, someone in the house will ask what happened to DD2, my standard line is, "It's DD2, what do you think?" She gets hurt doing anything. First broken bone at barely 2 just baking cookies. My 8 year who regularly does dangerous sports or activities , like extreme snowboarding, white water kayaking, rock climbing, on and on, nothing. She never gets hurts. I caught the child on TOP of the roof when she was 5, she scales up to our second floor porch from the beams rather then walk up the stairs, I think I birthed a cat rather then a child.  shake.gif

OMG I would have a heart attack. I think some kids are just much more daring than others. I have a niece like that and, surprisingly, my sister is able to remain calm during my niece's stunts.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I love your new signature or whatever you call it. (I'm so tired!!) "OFFICIAL SAHM"!!!! Go you!!!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I love your new signature or whatever you call it. (I'm so tired!!) "OFFICIAL SAHM"!!!! Go you!!!

THANKS!!!  I'm so proud I couldn't resist!!  I just changed it this morning! I feel SUPER good about that!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 AM

I got my beads yesterday!

My ultrasound was yesterday.  Placenta is good, baby is head down and healthy (5 pounds already!), still a girl lol, and looks exactly like my dp (it was creepy how strong the resemblance is).

I ordered my custom Tinkle Traps diapers today.  I can't wait to see them already!

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

hahaha, me too!!!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM

My chickens are laying!  YAY!  I have a thing about eggs...  I have been going broke buying them from the farmer's market during this pregnancy.  They haven't even been in the budget these last few weeks.  Yesterday DH went out to water them, and checked the nest boxes "just in case."  So for breakfast, I had the protein that I needed!!!  No guilty breakfast for me!  I could contribute to the food thread without feeling like a bad girl orngbiggrin.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:

Total score! Best book written for baby care.... I gave it to my son's girlfriend and my son said "Watch out...she's going to Fockerize you!" (Meet the Fockers reference...best movie ever...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

I used to tell people that my eldest son, a gymnast before his head injury, was born with a monkey tail that we'd had removed at birth....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

My chickens are laying!  YAY!  I have a thing about eggs...  I have been going broke buying them from the farmer's market during this pregnancy.  They haven't even been in the budget these last few weeks.  Yesterday DH went out to water them, and checked the nest boxes "just in case."  So for breakfast, I had the protein that I needed!!!  No guilty breakfast for me!  I could contribute to the food thread without feeling like a bad girl orngbiggrin.gif

Oh how fun! I love chickens and would looooove to have some. We had some about 14 years ago...beautiful little things...they were just starting to feather out when my eldest (WHY oh WHY is it ALWAYS HIM????) left the coop open overnight and they were mauled by....something. My DH has never had the heart to start again...it was totally traumatic. sigh. But, oh how I loooooooove "real" eggs!

I feel good about the fact that my DH rolled over to snuggle with me in the wee hours of the morning instead of hopping out of bed to make his coffee and pace around the upstairs in frustration over his job because we agreed that instead of feeling trapped in his job, he needed to start looking for a better one, preferably in a hospital environment instead of a mental health center... It was nice to feel....at peace. Honestly, When he is at peace...I do sooooo much better. I feel good about my 12 year old who is currently taking a class at the Community access television studio to learn how to make movies, I feel good about my 15 year old who has been singing and playing his guitar and banjo at the Farmers market on the weekends to earn the mega bucks needed for his choirs trip to Hawaii next spring, I feel good about my 10 year old who seems determined to clean every nook and cranny in the house so that his mama can do yoga without fretting...he is also taking yoga on the weekends, and I swear...that kid is a saint with a heart of gold. I feel good about my 7 year old who is finally learning to ride a bike after being terrified of the idea since his oldest brother smashed his head open during his 5th birthday party, and he is about to start swimming lessons, which are WAY over due, and he is also learning to read, again, WAY over due....there has been sooooo much trauma in our house due to loss that we just did what we could to stay afloat. His speech therapy teacher has been sooo supportive and feels that what he needed, more than pressure, was to just BE...so that is what we did...we let him be, and he drew and drew and played and grew and laughed and relaxed and just PLAYED...and now, finally....he's ready again. Sooooo ready. And...I'm so relieved....he's stopped stuttering....and we are going to be HYPER vigilant about our eldest coming back...one sign of trouble...and that's it. period. DH is talking to some other low income rental places today to see if they have openings for our son...I wish rent wasn't so expensive...I honestly do not understand how social security thinks people can actually live on what they give our disabled citizens...it's insane. No wonder we have so many disabled and mentally ill homeless people. They can't afford a place to live. truly.

Soooo....I ALSO feel good about my sweet doggy who is just the sweetest fluff ball in the world. I swear he understands every word and every mood I have. Old English sheep dogs are akin to human.

Maybe even better than most humans.

happy for feeling better today. bout time!!!

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Oh, YUM. Fresh eggs! I hope it was completely wonderful! I'm drooling!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:14 PM

I got a used cloth baby wipe warmer today at the second hand shop! Yay! I am so happy about this.... Also...a cute little hat that I almost bought this weekend full price at the farmers market for only 5 bucks. It's handmade, and I think the shop had no idea that it was a 50 dollar hat new....It was made on a loom and is a cute cream color with a big happy sunflower and a lady bug. oooooohhhhhh...Buttercup will be sooooo cute in it!!!

I can't wait to meet her.... joy.gif

Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM

I think baby is finally head down!  I'm feeling a pretty good amount of pressure way down.  Also, it seems easier to breath and not so uncomfortable around my ribs at the moment.  Hoping she stays there! 

And a friend of mine had her baby yesterday!  She had a 9 lbs and 9 oz baby girl!  She's sooo cute!  She has a head full of blonde hair!  So glad her and baby are both doing well, as she had pretty bad GD with this baby and had to be on insulin.  It was a long road for her.  I know she is so glad to have her baby in her arms.  I'm so happy for her! 

Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM

I'm just happy today. I can''t even pinpoint why.

- the house is a mess
- the trip to the thrift stores this morning was a complete bust.
- So was the trip to the consignment store going out of business
- the strap on my favorite dress broke
-its excruciatingly hot outside.

But somehow none of these things are bothering me. Today I'm happy and have a weird peace that I normally don' t have that everything will work out and be okay.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 06-29-2011, 01:58 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 06-29-2011, 02:45 PM

DD went all morning diaper free and only had a small accident (some dribbles before she sat on the potty)!  Maybe I won't have 2 in diapers.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

Old 06-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Which one is going out of business?

Lil' Ones- Its up your way (right beside Queens Liquor- I can't remember what else is nearby). I didn't think the deals were all that great on most of the items- but depending on what you still need, you may find some things.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

DD2's swim lesson was just canceled! joy.gif Which means I can sit on my butt for another hour before picking up DD1 from dance instead of chasing kids around the pool which I'll have to do again tomorrow morning anyway for DD1's swim team. I really should be cleaning or going through the laundry that appears to be eating my couch, but this feels better. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

I got a used cloth baby wipe warmer today at the second hand shop! Yay! I am so happy about this.... Also...a cute little hat that I almost bought this weekend full price at the farmers market for only 5 bucks. It's handmade, and I think the shop had no idea that it was a 50 dollar hat new....It was made on a loom and is a cute cream color with a big happy sunflower and a lady bug. oooooohhhhhh...Buttercup will be sooooo cute in it!!!

I can't wait to meet her.... joy.gif

GREAT score on the hat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany42309 View Post

I think baby is finally head down!  I'm feeling a pretty good amount of pressure way down.  Also, it seems easier to breath and not so uncomfortable around my ribs at the moment.  Hoping she stays there! 

And a friend of mine had her baby yesterday!  She had a 9 lbs and 9 oz baby girl!  She's sooo cute!  She has a head full of blonde hair!  So glad her and baby are both doing well, as she had pretty bad GD with this baby and had to be on insulin.  It was a long road for her.  I know she is so glad to have her baby in her arms.  I'm so happy for her! 

Congrats on the babe being head down and double congrats on your friend's healthy baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

I'm just happy today. I can''t even pinpoint why.

- the house is a mess
- the trip to the thrift stores this morning was a complete bust.
- So was the trip to the consignment store going out of business
- the strap on my favorite dress broke
-its excruciatingly hot outside.

But somehow none of these things are bothering me. Today I'm happy and have a weird peace that I normally don' t have that everything will work out and be okay.

This post brought me a sense of peace. Thanks.

As for me, I'm super duper happy to get an AMAZING deal on diaper covers. Thanks, Jennyfah, for sharing the link!! I didn't think I'd be able to afford anything other than nylon Dappi covers, but these were one-size WonderWrap covers for $4 each--brand new. I can use them on my 17 month old DS and the new baby. I'm so excited!

Also, (and this is silly) I cleaned out under my bed and was taken aback yikes2.gifby the amount of stuff kicked under there. I think I'm starting to nest.

User Tag List