Anemia threatening my home birth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone I'm 29 weeks and recently learned my hemoglobin is severely low.  I've always been chronically anemic and of course the iron pills get me really constipated.  If I don't get it up my midwife cannot attend my home birth. 

So for the last 3 days I've taken Fluridex + Herbs/ Iron (AM), Biferex OTC Iron + vitamin C tablet (afternoon), and New Chapter prenatal w/ iron (PM).  I took a 100 mg Colace 3 days ago but sure enough I''ve been blessed with a bleeding hemorrhoid from constipation today.

I eat a moderate amount of red meat, lentils/ other beans, and green leafy veggies.  I'm just not sure what else I can do.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, mamas!

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#2 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to add, I just started taking spirulina w/ 20 mg chlorophyll tablets as well....

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#3 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 PM

it sounds as though you are definitely upping your iron intake, as well as getting it in your diet. i am not sure of root causes of iron deficiency, but i would encourage you to do some further digging, research wise, to figure out possible reasons your body is not absorbing the iron as well as it should. i know i have always had a pretty low iron level, but i also don't eat meat and attribute it primarily to that, though i seek out other food sources.

good luck!!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#4 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 06:06 PM

I don't have any advice really, but I found a few articles that have tips for increasing iron absorption. They also have information about what foods and beverages might be inhibiting proper absorption of iron.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09356.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/32302-foods-enhance-iron-absorption/

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=70

Hope that helps!

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#5 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#6 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 PM

If your iron levels are low, you can take the Floradix twice daily, and you can double the dose.  I'm sure you know this, but calcium is the enemy for iron absorption.  So no milkshakes greensad.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#7 of 9 Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 PM

I make a decoction of yellow dock root and dandelion root that I mix with blackstrap molasses. When my midwife saw my hemotocrit score she was surprised. I had the highest levels of all of her clients and I am a vegetarian.

Recipe:

1 oz yellow dock root

1 oz dandelion root

2 cups water

Bring to boil. Lower immediately to barely a simmer. Keep it at that heat for 30 minutes. When it's cool enough to squeeze out the root material with your hands, then strain, squeeze any liquid you can out of the roots. Return to the pot on low heat (again barely a simmer) and reduce to 1 cup of liquid. Then mix in 1 cup blackstrap molasses - this is the more bitter kind, and is much higher in iron. Take 2 Tbsp morning and evening.

I usually mix it with 1/4 cup water, then follow it by another glass of water. You can drink it in hot water, too. Just NO milk.

HTH!

#8 of 9 Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM

I've always been borderline anemic in pregnancy too (with my first 2 pregnancies). With this one, I am eating an abundance of butter, whole milk, pastured eggs, and meat, and my hemogloben is perfect!!! I really recommend doing this stuff, and also taking some fermented cod liver oil capsules. AND make sure to not let anyone cut your babies cord until at least 5-20 minutes have passed, so that he/she is not plauged with lifelong anemia.

#9 of 9 Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM

You could try cooking everything in a cast iron pan, it helps and they are great and really inexpensive.

Mamabelly.gif to DS (3 years)biggrinbounce.gifjumpers.gifflowersforyou.gifchicken3.gifbroc1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page