Gestational Diabetes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did I miss the thread where one/some of you were diagnosed with this? Or have we not talked about it yet? Or are you all free and clear? 

I'm upset b/c I've been diagnosed with it. And I think it's a crock. But then I worry that it's not a crock and I must do all I can to balance my carbs. And then I think about how it's a crock again. ::sigh:: I'm just terribly surprised and worried about what this means interventions-wise.

Pooey on GD (if I do, in fact, honestly have it and it wasn't a test day weirdness. Which they swear cannot happen but which I really believe it was!). :p

Anyone else with me? Or am I in a club of 1?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 AM

Aw hon, I'm so sorry!!!  I haven't been tested yet.  I'll keep you in my thoughts!! Hang in there!!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 AM

I'm sorry, that sucks! What factors make you think the test results may not be valid?

I haven't been tested and I'm not going to be, because they don't do it here unless you have risk factors (unbelievably logical!). I'm really glad because it does not sound fun.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 AM

Aw, I am so sorry!  Did you "fail" the 3-hour test? 

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I failed, yes. The first 1-hour test was looking for a score of 140 or less. I scored 147. I wasn't concerned about it b/c I'd taken my meds and eaten breakfast that morning just 45 mins before drinking the glucose (the paperwork had said to wait a full 60 mins, but I was running out of time that AM). I figured that was the issue for that test. But I got talked into taking the 3-hour diagnostic.

The 3-hour fasting diagnostic test was boring and very pokey (fasting doesn't lend itself to easy needle sticks! For the 4 draws I was poked more than 8 times). My results came back as

(1) Fasting--79 (normal)

(2) 1 hour--170 (normal)

(3) 2 hour--157 (abnormal. They wanted between 70-154)

(4) 3 hour--147 (abonormal. They wanted between 70-139)

So, clearly I had two "abnormal" results (though that 3rd stick was so so so close!) and two abnormals means a diagnosis of GD.

But what I'm realizing is that I didn't take my thyroid medication that morning. So I'm wondering if that messed-up my metabolism (not having any thyroid hormones for more than 24 hours. My thyroid is completely removed, so I'm dependent upon my medicate to provide all my thyroid hormone).

AND, they'd just recently (in the past month. Just before my 1-hour test) reduced my thyroid medication dosage. My doctor told me (just prior to the 1-hour test) that they reduced it only because I was pregnant and they "keep extra tabs on pregnant women" but if I hadn't been pregnant they wouldn't have bothered reducing my medication levels because they weren't really high, just high-ish. 

So I'm thinking, lower thyroid (artificially provided to me via medication, which they just lowered) could mean worse glucose tolerance. And wouldn't that mean I should try and increase thyroid meds instead of being diagnosed with GD and told I am at risk of a big baby (which I've already been informed of. :p).

I'm just irriatated. I want to eat healthy, and if I have GD, so be it. But I feel like it's the monkey-ing around with my thyroid meds that's the issue, not actual GD.  My provider would rather focus on the GD diagnosis, however.

I'm really really wishing I'd either skipped the 1-hour or trusted my gut and refused the 3-hour diagnostic test.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM

Won't they let you retest?  I mean I know that 3 hour test sucks really bad, I've done it myself.  Maybe they'd let you just do the 1 hour again and see how that turns out.  If you have GD I am sooo sorry!  I was borderline with my last pregnancy.  And as much as it sucks, it's manageable.  You're so close to normal you would only need to monitor your diet a little, I'm betting.  There is a GD support group forum on here with tons of info, you should go check that out. 

Good luck to you!  Hope it all works out! 

Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I will probably be tested in the next 2-3 weeks, so I'm unsure at this point.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, though, especially because you are so very close to "normal." I would talk to your PCP about your thyroid medication and also request to retest. hug2.gif

Old 05-24-2011, 11:53 AM

DDCC from July...

I have GD as well.  Although it does kind of suck, it's really quite an easy diet.  I've stopped gaining weight now (I had already put on 50 lbs!) and my heartburn & acid reflux have gone away because my meals are much smaller than they were before.  I still get to eat what I want, but I have to balance the carbs out.  I choose to ignore things like ice cream because I won't get enough to really satisfy the craving and I would rather just drink milk.  lol.

If you really think it was a mistake, you could always ask to take it again.  It wouldn't hurt anything.  It would just be boring.  Good luck!

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I'm so sorry you are going through this, though, especially because you are so very close to "normal." I would talk to your PCP about your thyroid medication and also request to retest. hug2.gif

yeahthat.gif I think it would make total sense that your scores would be different with your metabolism all wacky.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Ah, I am sorry to hear you are dealing with this! hug2.gif Hopefully, although frustrating, the levels being so close to the border also means you can just watch a little and keep it under control very easily...it would be helpful if your prenatal care giver could discuss this w your doctor who prescribes your thyroid meds shake.gif

Other than your meds, one thing comes to mind - did they tell you to carb load (only with complex carbs) for three days prior to the test? When I took the test that was part of the process as they described it. 

I hope this will get resolved soon! Hang in there.

Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 AM

I failed the 1 hour test, but they didn't tell me my actual level, just that it was high. I went in Monday for the 3 hour test, and it was miserable! I had to get stuck all 4 times in the same arm bc she couldn't find veins in the other arms. I haven't heard from them yet about whether I have it or not, so I'm really hoping I don't. Good luck to you!

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Since you were so close to "normal," I would ask about taking some other approaches before officially being labeled with GD.  I do not believe that the GTT's are the best option for women who normally eat very healthfully (as many MDC mamas do).  How often do you eat 100g of sugar in one sitting?  Or even 50g?  Having the "GD" label is a b!tc#, especially for mamas planning hospital births.  The typical interventions that many docs like to do with GD moms (early inductions, more quick to jump to C/S, etc) IMO increase the risk to mom and baby more than the GD itself does.

Last time I went with the flow and did the 1-hour (failed), and the 3-hour (passed).  It was awful.  This time my midwife is lending me a glucometer, like a diabetic would have, and I am doing regular fasting, 1-hour, and 2-hour checks over the course of a week on my regular diet.  If my blood sugar is being regulated well on my normal diet, than all is well.  While my diet is not perfect, it is usually quite healthy, and I'm more careful about avoiding lots of sugar and white flour during pregnancy anyway.  I'll just make sure to stay away from drinking 3 Cokes in quick succession, just in case winky.gif

Just another approach to consider... 

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 PM

Mamatosoren makes good points. Plus, even if you DID eat 50g of glucose in one sitting, it would most likely be combined with something else, like fat, which would not cause the same blood sugar spike as pure sugar (which actually, btw, is half glucose and half fructose - so you basically wouldn't be getting 50g of pure glucose, ever!). For that reason alone, I think the GD test is mostly, well, bunk. It doesn't tell anything about how your body actually handles food of any kind, just how well it is able to cope with high doses of a substance you would never eat in isolation anyway. So a glucometer might be a great idea for checking how your body deals with actual food that you eat, which is far more important and relevant.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:54 AM

I'm supposed to take my test in two weeks. I refuse to take that nasty orange glucose drink...gawd...that could GIVE a person diabetes! It's soooo nasty. Won't! Won't! Won't! (tantrum...) I told my midwife that my other midwife had always had me do a 50 gram carb breakfast...very nice, but this midwife was all "Oh no...that's not clinically accurate" As if I can't properly assess the amount of carbs by LOOKING at the carb content of my food. She wanted me to eat 18 brachs jelly beans. I asked if I could eat 50 grams of carb in the form of jelly belly beans instead and she said "Oh no...they have to be Brachs."

WHY? WHY? WHY?

I'll tell you why. It's because she doesn't understand the SCIENCE behind the glucose test.

SO, I went to the store, and bought two mini ben and jerry's ice creams totally EXACTLY 50 grams of carbohydrates between the two. EXACTLY 50 grams. Not 51, not 53. FIFTY. American dream cone and Cherry Garcia mini containers. YUM!

On the day of my test, I will happily consume both mini ice cream containers and walk down to my appointment, which will take me about 20 minutes as I am now a slower walker due to my increasing girth, and we will do the hour blood test to satisfy her testing regime, and I will happily smile and tell her I ate the disgusting Brachs brand, (which I WON'T WON'T WON'T!) and will also give her a print out of several other items one could consume to satisfy a 50 gram carb requirement WITH the science backing me, and then, perhaps, other women will get to enjoy the treats THEY love instead of consuming things they hate just because she doesn't understand basic science.

I know I'm hard on her. It's just that I studied midwifery for 3 years, have a premedical background in Human biology and psychology, and I've been into alternative health for years. I have a lot of respect for medical life saving ability, but very little respect for the medical communities vast lack of basic nutritional knowledge.

It's not that the GD diet is really that hard. It's just that I hate having people assume the worst until the best is proven. I've never had GD, I don't have signs of GD, and I don't expect to have GD. I know it could happen, and I'm not afraid of having it, I just don't think I do.

Whatever...at least I feel confident enough to defy my caregiver when I think she's wrong. Peace.gif But I'd rather have a savvy care giver than one who only believes what she learned in nursing school...hate to break it to ya Jeanne...but there are a lot of other considerations in life than what the AMA deems "acceptable".

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Old 05-26-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm getting to skip the GTT this time. joy.gif

I had a long discussion with my midwife at my last appointment. She does need me to sign a waiver form, but she said she gets a lot of women who do that. She is confident that I'm not at risk due to my diet (the healthiest she has ever seen) and that I have no warning signs. I passed the GTT last time with the meal option rather than the drink (which IS a more accurate predictor of how our bodies react) and only once ever had sugar in my urine, which was the result of a weak moment when I ate a pop tart about an hour before my appointment. This time I've never had any sugar leaks, or anything else show up in the urine tests either, and my weight gain is considerably smaller than last time (10lb compared to 27lb) so she is OK with me skipping it.

If I were to start showing signs of an issue THEN I'd have the test, but I don't see the point in taking it unless there is a reasonable need for it. And being 38 & overweight are not reasonable reasons as far as I'm concerned.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 PM

I just decided that I am going to take the 1-hr gross drink test at my next appt. It was completely my decision but I feel like I kinda want to know. With my 1st preg I decline the test. With my 2nd the mw wanted me to do the big-sugary-breakfast before the 1hr blood draw (and I think a handful of jellybeans, not brand-specific ;)  My results were "borderline", one point below the cut-off. We didn't change anything but my daughter was born at 37wks exactly and weighed 8lb 4oz. Had she gone to 40 weeks she prob would have been a 10 pounder. So, my previous borderline diagnosis and somewhat large baby plus the fact that Ive gained 36lbs in 20 weeks......has me wondering. I'd just like to know if I need to be more careful. I generally eat very healthy although I do have a sweet tooth and we have had a lot of Easter candy laying aorund the past month or so.... :) Also, I started out the preg eating very high-protein, low carb and have gotten away from that as well. So my plan is to really be aware of what Im eating for the next 2 weeks, take the test and if I'm negative then great! If I fail then I will take the glucometer home and try to figure out what is truly going on. It's actually kind of nice to have the motivation to get back on the healthy eating train. Also motivating is the fact that I DONT want to grow a 12 lb baby and try to deliver it!!!! Even if I do have GD it doesn't change my birth plans (homebirth), we will just monitor and manage through diet.

SAHM to my surprise bigeyes.gif twins M&W (7/06) twins.gif and my vbac.gif darling W (1/09) hearts.gif Expecting another little bean this summer pos.gif
Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 PM

Sara, how silly not even to allow you to have a different brand of jelly bean!!!  The ice cream sounds so much better, and perfectly rational and legitimate as a substitute.

I meant to ask if I could eat something instead, and kept not calling to ask, and finally just drank the darn stuff, before my appointment on Tuesday.  Prob'ly just as well, since the doctor is now annoyed at me for REALLY not wanting things done according to some of their usual protocols, as far as the actual birth..... irked.gif  gloomy.gif   (Which isn't budging them in the least.)  I did NOT alter my diet in any way that might help my results, beforehand, so if I do come out okay, I'll think it's reliable.  Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get results back?

I am a touch worried, but... oh, well!

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

Old 05-27-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

I'm supposed to take my test in two weeks. I refuse to take that nasty orange glucose drink...gawd...that could GIVE a person diabetes! It's soooo nasty. Won't! Won't! Won't! (tantrum...) I told my midwife that my other midwife had always had me do a 50 gram carb breakfast...very nice, but this midwife was all "Oh no...that's not clinically accurate" As if I can't properly assess the amount of carbs by LOOKING at the carb content of my food. She wanted me to eat 18 brachs jelly beans. I asked if I could eat 50 grams of carb in the form of jelly belly beans instead and she said "Oh no...they have to be Brachs."

WHY? WHY? WHY?

I'll tell you why. It's because she doesn't understand the SCIENCE behind the glucose test.

SO, I went to the store, and bought two mini ben and jerry's ice creams totally EXACTLY 50 grams of carbohydrates between the two. EXACTLY 50 grams. Not 51, not 53. FIFTY. American dream cone and Cherry Garcia mini containers. YUM!

On the day of my test, I will happily consume both mini ice cream containers and walk down to my appointment, which will take me about 20 minutes as I am now a slower walker due to my increasing girth, and we will do the hour blood test to satisfy her testing regime, and I will happily smile and tell her I ate the disgusting Brachs brand, (which I WON'T WON'T WON'T!) and will also give her a print out of several other items one could consume to satisfy a 50 gram carb requirement WITH the science backing me, and then, perhaps, other women will get to enjoy the treats THEY love instead of consuming things they hate just because she doesn't understand basic science.

I know I'm hard on her. It's just that I studied midwifery for 3 years, have a premedical background in Human biology and psychology, and I've been into alternative health for years. I have a lot of respect for medical life saving ability, but very little respect for the medical communities vast lack of basic nutritional knowledge.

It's not that the GD diet is really that hard. It's just that I hate having people assume the worst until the best is proven. I've never had GD, I don't have signs of GD, and I don't expect to have GD. I know it could happen, and I'm not afraid of having it, I just don't think I do.

Whatever...at least I feel confident enough to defy my caregiver when I think she's wrong. Peace.gif But I'd rather have a savvy care giver than one who only believes what she learned in nursing school...hate to break it to ya Jeanne...but there are a lot of other considerations in life than what the AMA deems "acceptable".

thumbsup.gif clap.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

If I were to start showing signs of an issue THEN I'd have the test, but I don't see the point in taking it unless there is a reasonable need for it. And being 38 & overweight are not reasonable reasons as far as I'm concerned.

nod.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post

is now annoyed at me for REALLY not wanting things done according to some of their usual protocols, as far as the actual birth..... irked.gif  gloomy.gif   (Which isn't budging them in the least.)

I'm sorry! I hope they listen to you about your wishes in the end!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imprint View Post

Does anyone know how long it usually takes to get results back?

My 1 hour results were available immediately (before I left the doctor's office). The 3-hr results were also quick; I had the test on Saturday and the doctor called me w/results on Monday morning. Suppose it depends on your lab?

I've decided to go in and get a glucometer and see what all the fuss is about, blood sugar-wise. Can't hurt to monitor my blood. But I won't be surprised if it all seems okay (assuming my thyroid meds are taken correctly).

Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ursusarctos 

I'm sorry! I hope they listen to you about your wishes in the end!

Thanks!  Unfortunately, it sounds like they're so rigid about it, I have to either find another doctor, or do what they said.  And now.... well... we'll save that for the complaints thread!  It could be much worse, but I am not happy... or particularly hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyLu View Post

My 1 hour results were available immediately (before I left the doctor's office). The 3-hr results were also quick; I had the test on Saturday and the doctor called me w/results on Monday morning. Suppose it depends on your lab?

Thanks.  Good to know.  I really don't know what this office's arrangements are, as far as the actual testing goes.  If I haven't heard Monday, I'll call in and check.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

Old 05-27-2011, 11:34 AM

Agreed. It is unreasonable....heh heh...and, in some ways, I'm sure my midwife could say the same about me...cause I AM (by her standards)...

One positive thing is that my children are learning (because I'm vocal) that they have the right to challenge the system and that they SHOULD, within limits.

I have no risk of GD except that I am overweight. Not unhealthy overweight. Just overweight. That sends off all kinds of red flags to some health-care providers..."OH NO! SHE'S FAAAAAAAAAT!" But I'll tell you something...I saw my midwife riding her scooter yesterday WITHOUT A HELMET! As the mother of a kid with a brain injury related to not wearing a helmet on a bicycle...I intend to give her hell for being such a terrible example to our communities children and teens. heh heh. Love it...! She may not be fat...but she's taking risks I would NEVER take with my health.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

Old 05-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

But I'll tell you something...I saw my midwife riding her scooter yesterday WITHOUT A HELMET! As the mother of a kid with a brain injury related to not wearing a helmet on a bicycle...I intend to give her hell for being such a terrible example to our communities children and teens. heh heh. Love it...! She may not be fat...but she's taking risks I would NEVER take with my health.

I am so amazed when I see people doing this! Two years ago I moved to a state that doesn't have a helmet law, and it blows my mind every day. Just because you can't get a ticket doesn't mean you can't get a brain injury... or worse! You should definitely tell her what you think.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM

The thing with the ice cream vs. jelly beans is the fat content.  The more fat (or fiber) the slower the body absorbs the sugar.  If you were eating fat free ice cream, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.  Honestly though fat free = gross.  LOL.  If you have that much of an issue with doing the test the way it was designed, then why bother taking it at all?  Simply tell your doc/mw no and move on.

Mom to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif(12), bikenew.gif(7), energy.gif(5),  guitar.gif(4), baby.gif (born 7/8/11), dog2.gif, and chicken3.gif

Old 05-27-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

The thing with the ice cream vs. jelly beans is the fat content.  The more fat (or fiber) the slower the body absorbs the sugar.  If you were eating fat free ice cream, it wouldn't be as big of a deal.  Honestly though fat free = gross.  LOL.  If you have that much of an issue with doing the test the way it was designed, then why bother taking it at all?  Simply tell your doc/mw no and move on.

But that's just the thing... most of the time, unless you're eating candy like jelly beans, you ARE getting fat and/or fiber at the same time as sugar. People who don't eat candy, or much of it, won't get a very relevant GTT result, because it doesn't tell how their body actually deals with sugar in combination with other nutrients. I think that's why the glucometer approach makes so much more sense.

But in this case the MW doesn't seem to be very open to reason about ways of checking for GD, so I think it's just fine for EB to go ahead and "cheat".

Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM

The results of a GTT are not the same as the results from regular eating because they realize that fat/fiber change the absorption.

(1) Fasting--79 (normal) <--Obviously, the fasting would be the same.

(3) 2 hour--157 (abnormal. They wanted between 70-154) <--This number should be 120 or lower if you're eating food like ice cream.  157 would be way high after a meal.  157 after eating pure sugar is just slightly over normal.  Do you see what I'm saying?  There is a clear difference.

I would just be afraid to try to "trick" my medical professional after I failed my GTT.  The only people you are going to hurt are yourself and your baby. 

Old 05-30-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanHippie View Post

The results of a GTT are not the same as the results from regular eating because they realize that fat/fiber change the absorption.

(1) Fasting--79 (normal) <--Obviously, the fasting would be the same.

(3) 2 hour--157 (abnormal. They wanted between 70-154) <--This number should be 120 or lower if you're eating food like ice cream.  157 would be way high after a meal.  157 after eating pure sugar is just slightly over normal.  Do you see what I'm saying?  There is a clear difference.

I would just be afraid to try to "trick" my medical professional after I failed my GTT.  The only people you are going to hurt are yourself and your baby. 

Hmm, ok, I do see what you are saying. I suppose that would be more reason to not do the GTT at all then and rather moniter yourself after eating with a glucometer. That way you get results that indicate how your blood sugar actually reacts to food that you eat, rather than pure glucose.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:44 PM

FWIW, with my DS, I failed the 1 hour test (137 and she wanted <130).  I was soooo stressed taking that darn test because I was fundamentally against it for having no symptoms and because I was had ms for 35 weeks with him and someone telling me what and when to eat was just not going to work for me.  Anyway, I told my peri that I would not do the 3 hour test (no way I could have fasted and then had the sugar and 3 hours I would have vomited even before I drank the sugar from no food).  She gave me a prescription for the glucose meter, strips, the whole 9 and I checked my own sugars 4x a day for 3 days and had to report the numbers.  I passed.  I ended up gaining 50lbs (I was a petite person to start - 5'3", 115lbs) and my DS was just 5lbs and 2oz at 40.3 weeks! 

Now I'm pregnant with twins on bedrest.  I was supposed to do the test at 24wks but my doctor is letting me take at 27 weeks so I don't have to have the extra stress (she knows I hate this test) and the extra outing at this point.  So, I'll take it next week.  I've been taking my own sugars with my meter from DS and all seems fine, but I'm still stressing.  I told her I'll do the 1 hour but again decline the 3 hour if I fail. 

She said that adrenaline (stress, anger, frustration, etc. -- all the feelings that come along with that stupid test) can up your number.  So, my suggestion is fast before the 1 hour and bring an iPod with some relaxing music or something to listen to while you wait (or take a walk or something if they'll let you).

Good luck!

Wife and mom of 18 month old babyboy.gif.  Expecting stork-girl.gifstork-girl.gif twin girls in August!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

I've been testing my blood sugar since Friday, now. So far, all first-thing-in-the-morning (fasting) readings have been normal (70s and low 80s), all pre-meal numbers have been normal, and I had one 2-hour post-meal that was high (it was this morning. I tested 150 after breakfast. I was feeling kind of crappy/tired, so it didn't surprise me. I'd had a giant fruit and whole yogurt smoothie and three bowls of cereal w/whole milk). All other 2-hour post-meal readings (including those with potato salad and pastas) have been < 120. So... I don't know where that leaves me.

According to the diabetes handouts they gave me with the monitor, a non-diabetic should have post-meal numbers of <140 (so I'm fine there, other than my indulgence in cereal this AM) and they want to see (non pregnant) diabetics keep their post-meal numbers <180. But are those the numbers my doctor is going to tell me I should aspire to meet? My sister (who was diagnosed with GD during her pregnancy this past spring) had been told to keep her 1-hour post-meal test < 120. That seems crazy low to me. Why would she have to keep her numbers lower than someone who doesn't have diabetes? 

I guess we'll see what my doctor says tomorrow. I just wish I knew what to think. 

Old 05-30-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyLu View Post

My sister (who was diagnosed with GD during her pregnancy this past spring) had been told to keep her 1-hour post-meal test < 120. That seems crazy low to me. Why would she have to keep her numbers lower than someone who doesn't have diabetes? 

What I mean to say is, does a person with GD need to keep their numbers below the normal (non diabetic) range? Or is simply staying in the normal range the goal (if so, I don't really seem to have trouble doing so, so what does that mean for me)? 

Old 05-31-2011, 07:41 AM

I just got the call that I failed Friday's 1 hour with a number of 154.  :-(   I had already talked to my midwife about monitoring my blood sugar with the glocometer if I failed instead of taking the 3hr because I got so sick from it when I had to take it with my first pregnancy, and I didn't have GD.  I was NOT going through that again.   Poking myself multiple times per day for weeks sounds much, much better!  So now I have to wait for the call from the nurse to let me know when my nutritional counseling is, and I'll get a prescription for a monitor at that appointment I guess. 

Normally I wouldn't mind the GD diet (it's not that far from how I normally eat from what I can tell!), but I have had the worst time eating during this pregnancy.  I really doubt that I can eat 3 meals and 2 snacks every day.  There just isn't room!  And it takes me so long to digest food that I'm not hungry for hours and hours between meals. 

Add the pregnancy induced hypertension and I'm just a walking time bomb.  A crying time bomb.  Is it August yet?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).

User Tag List