Low Lying Placenta...Should I get another u/s? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

At my 20 week u/s my placenta was just a few centimeters away from my cervix.  My mws said it would probably move as I grew.  I am 29 weeks now, and I am wondering if I should get another u/s before I am full term.  I am going to ask my mws next visit (32w), but they are very low key, so I dunno if they will think I need one.

I imagine it is fine, but if it moved down, placenta previa is very dangerous.  I do have insurance, but I'm going to have to ask family for co-pay money, if I get one.

So, what would you do?

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#2 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 01:29 PM

I would ask first and see what they say.  It might be a non issue, ukwim?  Definitely ask though!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM

I don't have any experience with this, but I read an amazing blog post that explained placenta previa and had tons of great diagrams and links. I think it depends on where exactly the placenta was when you had your u/s.  You can find it here: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

I hope it doesn't end up being a problem!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM

I am no expert, but I think placentas typically move up, not down, so maybe that is why they are not concerned. I would ask the mvs first and go from there. My SIL has had very low placentas both times and it always moved up and she delivered vaginally.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#5 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I have had no bleeding or spotter at all, so I am not that worried, but I'm not sure I want to risk a vaginal birth without at least checking one more time.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#6 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my placenta was 1.5cm away from the cervix at 20 weeks or so. My mw said I could later, the ultrasound doc was 'super' concerned, but he was a whack job desperate to find "SOMETHING" wrong. whatever. I am leaning more towards no. This is number three for me and the first one I had a later u/s and ended up getting induced for stupid reasons, the second we skipped it and I am glad I did, because they would have found my 'battedore' placenta and it might have jeperdized my homebirth (which was wonderful). So I don't have good luck with later u/s, so for us, I am thinking of skipping it. 

#7 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 05:32 PM

If your midwives don't seem worried about it at your 32 week appointment, I would avoid getting another, personally.  BUT, if it's something that's going to hinder your faith in your body, then it might be worth it for your own piece of mind.  This is LO number 2 for us, and in my experience, US has created more worry than it was worth.  But piece of mind is worth a lot too...  I would, at the very least, see how you feel after talking with your midwives.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#8 of 9 Old 06-07-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2881 View Post

I am no expert, but I think placentas typically move up, not down, so maybe that is why they are not concerned.

yeahthat.gif

i had a low lying placenta at 31 weeks and by 36 weeks it had moved and was no longer an issue.

i'm sure it's fine.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 9 Old 06-09-2011, 02:34 PM

I was told that I had a partial previa at 16 weeks which didn't move by 20 weeks but was 'close' to my cervix at 24 weeks.  I'm seeing an ob because of bleeding and he feels optimistic but is recommending an ultrasound at 36 weeks to make sure everything is fine.  I'm not too concerned since I haven't had any spotting since 20 weeks or so but I am going to do the u/s so I can feel a little more secure (I'm planning to UC if everything is fine).  I would go with your gut and do what you feel will help you feel better. 

mischievous.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page