Apparently I'm having twins! (and other crazy things I've been told) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-11-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, not really, but I have gotten that from a couple strangers now (and i'm not really that BIG) I only 5 ft tall, so she has no where to go but OUT!

I thought maybe it would be fun to start a thread where we can all post the crazy things strangers tell us!

Today I had a customer tell me I needed to go home right away and I ask why- and she said I was about to pop. And I said "oh, I hope not, she still has 9 weeks in there!".

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 06-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

I work from home this time around so I've avoided most of the crappy comments. Austin is so drinking centric that most people keep telling me that it's ok if I have 1 drink and act like I'm suffering a fate worse than death when I pass on it. But then a few gasp at how dare I drink when I'm only having a mocktail. (It's oj and pomegranate in a martini glass just to make me feel like a grownup. Lay off.) There's no in between.

I was still teaching when I was pregnant with Soon to be Middle. Another teacher told me I looked like a spider. Big round body, skinny little arms and legs. I cried. I know I don't make a cute pregnant lady but why you gotta rub it in?

With my first I went to the dentist. The dental tech asked me if I knew what I was having yet. I didn't. She told me it would be a girl because she would inherit it from me. And she was completely serious. I started laughing. I just couldn't help it. I got out something about "And the dad is a boy..." between my guffaws. She got really embarrassed and pissed off at me and I felt bad but I really couldn't help it. She left and made another tech finish me.

That's really funny! :D I'd've laughed, too.

I had a lady who thought gender was decided later in the pregnancy - maybe changed by temperature or something?  Works for reptiles, but nope! I'm not a reptile!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 PM

Had a client tell me out of the blue to use a footstool for post partum pooping headscratch.gif....Helpful I guess?

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 06-11-2011, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I spent months being asked if I was having twins, was I sure about my EDD. Now all I keep hearing is how small I am. Ok people, make up your mind here!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

Had a client tell me out of the blue to use a footstool for post partum pooping headscratch.gif....Helpful I guess?

That actually is a good idea! Thanks for reminding me :D

Becky

Married to Dusty

Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 AM

Last night Hostess #1 of the diner, after we'd said "Three, please" took a look at my belly and replied, "Four pretty soon, though!" I laughed and said yes. Then Hostess #2 turned to me and said, "But hopefully not tonight, here!!" kind of all serious and freaking-out. As though I was in labor right then and there and about to push out a baby in the middle of their dining room. I told her I still had two months to go and she appeared to calm down.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:16 AM

Ive been asked several times if they think my due date is 'wrong" and that Im really due sooner.  Also, several people claim im SO much bigger this time vs with DS - I have a record from my first pregnancy- I weight EXACTLY the same at this week as with her- I think my belly is just shaped in a more "prominent" position!

Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 AM

i'm 5'1.....so right there with you, stormy. this is the fourth baby i will have carried and birthed (two kiddos plus one surrogate baby)....so i take it that is why my body is so excited to stretch out and gain weight? hmmm... anyway, i am huge, weighing in above and beyond my highest weights ever (on baby's birthdays or just before) and still have these last two weight gaining months to go. i am totally fine with being round with baby (and am i ever round), but every single person who asks me when baby is coming is like..."oh my god...you still have that long??" and i definitely get the twins comments...even a triplets one the other day. i even get comments like this from OTHER PREGNANT WOMEN which just blows me away. don't they know better?

what really makes me crazy is when folks shake their heads and say "you poor thing having to get through the heat of summer..." i am so riled up by these kinds of comments- yes, it will be hot. and i will swim, eat popsicles, and enjoy the shade the same way i do when i am not pregnant. it is hot for everyone!! i just get an excuse to have a naked belly in the garden when i would not do so otherwise!

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

Old 06-12-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevena true View Post

what really makes me crazy is when folks shake their heads and say "you poor thing having to get throught the heat of summer..." i am so riled up by these kinds of comments- yes, it will be hot. and i will swim, eat popsicles, and enjoy the shade the same way i do when i am not pregnant. it is hot for everyone!! i just get an excuse to have a naked belly in the garden when i would not, do so otherwise!

One stranger, a guy in a convenience store,  actually said to me (in regards to the summer months/heat), "That wasn't very smart planning on your part," like it was up to me to decide when this baby would be conceived.  I mean, come on, how rude, right?  Of course we were aiming for a nice spring baby but you can't always control these things!!  And ditto - I get to bare my belly when most ppl  have to cover up!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 PM

Random stranger in a truck stop when we stopped for gas said that I am about to have that baby any second, I said nope a couple months left. This literally left him speechless for a minute and then he asked me to seek medical attention because I really shouldn't be this big.

A man yesterday at the grocery store asked if I was in labor when I set my hand on my tummy while waiting in line. Not in a joking way either, lol, like he was braced to call 911 and have someone boil some water lol.gif

I can't even count how many people have shook there heads, bugged their eyes out, etc at "How HUGE you are!" and many many MANY "Are they sure it isn't twins?"

Old 06-12-2011, 12:52 PM

All of the above is happening to me - minus the twin part. I'm 29 weeks and people are split between telling me, they hope the baby arrives real soon because it must be overdue, and those who are surprised that I'm pregnant because I "don't look like it". And then there are those who tell me they are so surprised I don't have "the waddle" yet. And while it was hot last week - we normally don't have days over 80 in June - everyone told me they were so sorry I had to go through this in the summer, but when I told them I could just go to work where I have airconditioning, the response was inevitably that someone as far along as I should not work. Yeah, whatever!

I am, however, somewhat prepared for this thanks to my first pregnancy. By the time I reached 38 weeks, I had gained around 70 pounds, and whereever I went, people begged me not to go into labor immediately, and kept asking if my doctor wasn't going to induce soon. LOL.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 06-12-2011, 01:26 PM

i get told all the time how "there is no way your going to make it to august" actually i assure you i will....baby just has no place to go but out just like the last 2 lol i'm only 5'1 and have carried babies to 39+2 and 40+3 so i know i'll be just fine this time too :)

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

Old 06-12-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quite possibly TMI, but I can't go unless I have something to prop my feet up on. It makes it so much easier.

I'm getting TONs of comments about the heat too. I know its Texas, but dang, its not that bad. My apartment has airconditioning and a pool. Its not like I work outside or anything.

I did have one sweet old man act surprised I wasn't due until August and told me I must be watching what I ate, b/c I was doing good on not gaining too much weight.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 06-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Twice this weekend I've had people act surprised when they find out I'm expecting a baby in August.

On Friday night we went out to eat. When we were waiting to pay I sat DS on the counter because he was getting too heavy for me. A couple walked up behind us to wait to pay too. They were enamored by DS (he smiles and flirts at almost everyone when we're out) and commented how cute he was while the woman rubbed her obvious baby bump. She said she was due in October, and I rubbing my belly said that I was due in August. The look on her face was total surprise, like she would never have noticed the huge baby belly I'm carrying out front of me. I'm only 5ft 2in and I'm not exactly small framed, but the bump is way too big to be anything but baby.

Then this morning at Church one of the men was admiring DS and his smiles (again) and asked how old he was and if he was always that happy. I told him he had just turned 1 and yes he was this happy almost all of the time. He then said that he had a 2 year old and they were expecting another in July. So I said that I was due in August and again total surprise on the face like he hadn't noticed the huge baby belly.

I know I have an amazingly cute son. I know that his happy, smiley face has everyone cooing over him. But is it really so much that you totally miss the huge belly caused by his first sibling? I guess cute one year olds must be a great way to distract from a pregnant belly, since mine is invisible when I'm with DS.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 06-12-2011, 05:16 PM

I did have a cabbie think I was going to ask him to get me to the hospital, today, when, in fact, I was only about to be late for church.  (But the 'might be labor' idea was, apparently, due to the hand on my belly, easing the pressure from a little baby head sticking painfully outward.)  

Mostly, though, no weird comments, just surprise I'm having twins... 

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 PM

I had my SIL tell me yesterday that I "picked a terrible time to have my babies" (this will be my third summer baby). I heartily disagree! I love the summer, and really dislike the winter! I love the swimming, and sunshine, and not having to wrap up my newborn in an eskimo suit! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

One stranger, a guy in a convenience store,  actually said to me (in regards to the summer months/heat), "That wasn't very smart planning on your part," like it was up to me to decide when this baby would be conceived.  I mean, come on, how rude, right?  Of course we were aiming for a nice spring baby but you can't always control these things!!  And ditto - I get to bare my belly when most ppl  have to cover up!! 

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 06-13-2011, 02:52 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 06-13-2011, 08:15 AM

I keep getting the "really?" when I say I have 8 weeks left.

I'm 5'4". My normal non-prego adult weight is 107lbs. When I got pregnant I was closer to 110. I've gained 30ish lbs. That only puts me in the 'healthy' BMI range for a non-pregnant person. I'm NOT THAT BIG! Has no one in this town ever seen a pregnant woman before? I really do not look 'about to burst', or 'huge'. I realize that some people have no clue & are just making conversation, but I'm sort of tired of it.

Plus, considering that a good portion of that weight has settled on my tushie & thighs, I know I don't have a 30lb belly here ...

The 'oh it's awful to be prego in summer' thing is getting old already too, and it's not even mid-june! Yesterday we were at an outdoor wedding, and I was FREEZING. I've been 'too cold' my entire life & I was actually looking forward to being pregnant in the summer, and maybe-just maybe- being 'too warm' for pretty much the first time ever :) but the weather is just not cooperating!

(Wow. Maybe I should have put this in the complaint thread, I'm a cranky-prego-girl today!)

~SynEpona~
Old 06-13-2011, 08:16 AM

- Buddha
Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristandthekids View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

Quote:

Quite possibly TMI, but I can't go unless I have something to prop my feet up on. It makes it so much easier.

I forgot I had this pic uploaded. It's supposed to be a poster to help the learning disabled use the bathroom. I printed it off and hung it in The Ex's bathroom over the toilet. (Yes I made him have his own bathroom. Boys are gross.)

5623306144_8a016aa535_o.jpg

That is a very confusing poster for a very simple idea. The words are good, but all the arrows don't make easy sense.

Becky

Married to Dusty

Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 AM

I like the footstool, but bulging out your abdomen?  (Well, I guess we all have that one covered.)

I got the twins comment yesterday (this baby is bum and feet sticking straight out so I look pretty big).  I also was around a woman who was 16 weeks and not showing yet (!) and she kept saying "I can't believe how BIG you are."  Which is weird, because she's pregnant with her 2nd.  I guess some people just don't get as big as I am.  A neighbor just had her baby at term (this past weekend) and I am bigger than she was.  Oh well!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:29 AM

I get the "summer heat" and "bad timing" thing all the time, but i agree.... its been over 90 here for 2 weeks straight already, and most of thoes days in the upper 90s. add to that atlanta humidity and it SUCKS... this pregnant lady stays inside most of the day!

i get people that assume its my first when i run into the grocery store (with DH in the car with the kids) or even at church (when kids are in nursery) and give me advice... i giggle and say something about the older two.Yesterday the lady was talking about being ready for the newborn stage (i had said im not really ready for a newborn again) and she was saying how you are never ready with your first... i was like, well, im not ready for it AGAIN, i have two others at home too!

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Oh!  I get the "Is it your first!?" comment a lot too!!  I always think it's b/c I look young.  Or at least I like to think that, lol. orngbiggrin.gif  Usually when I say it's my 2nd, they lay off and say, "Oh, so you know what to expect!"  and I say something witty like, "Yes!  He can cook as long as he needs to, I'm in no rush!"

LOL at that poster!!  Classic!!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:25 AM

So many similarities here!  Im only 5'3" and typically hover around 95/100 pounds - so being 112 pounds looks HUGE on me - but a "normal' weight for me could even be 115.  Also, everyone keeps saying how miserable ill be in the heat- I have NEVER been too hot in my life and actually did plan this timing - i hated having an infant in the middle of winter- so isolating.  

Old 06-13-2011, 11:38 AM

I still get asked if this is my 1st even when I am not alone, weirdos headscratch.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
I work from home this time around so I've avoided most of the crappy comments. Austin is so drinking centric that most people keep telling me that it's ok if I have 1 drink and act like I'm suffering a fate worse than death when I pass on it. But then a few gasp at how dare I drink when I'm only having a mocktail. (It's oj and pomegranate in a martini glass just to make me feel like a grownup. Lay off.) There's no in between.

I was still teaching when I was pregnant with Soon to be Middle. Another teacher told me I looked like a spider. Big round body, skinny little arms and legs. I cried. I know I don't make a cute pregnant lady but why you gotta rub it in?

With my first I went to the dentist. The dental tech asked me if I knew what I was having yet. I didn't. She told me it would be a girl because she would inherit it from me. And she was completely serious. I started laughing. I just couldn't help it. I got out something about "And the dad is a boy..." between my guffaws. She got really embarrassed and pissed off at me and I felt bad but I really couldn't help it. She left and made another tech finish me.

Quote:

That's really funny! :D I'd've laughed, too.

I had a lady who thought gender was decided later in the pregnancy - maybe changed by temperature or something?  Works for reptiles, but nope! I'm not a reptile!

Becky

LMAO These are both too funny :) Obviously some people skipped sex ed...

AFM, I haven't gotten anything too crazy, but I do get a lot of contradicting comments about my belly. Most of my friends can't get over how big it is getting, while most stangers say "you're still so small!" I am actually measuring right on target, so I guess people just really don't know what else to say :)

Old 06-13-2011, 11:40 AM

I don't understand the "you must be miserable in the heat" thing either. I live in a climate that is 60-90 degrees all year long and I don't think I love or hate the heat any more than usual. I don't know... maybe I'll be eating those words in a few weeks!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 06-13-2011, 12:07 PM

I am finally getting a little overheated, some days, but compared to walking with my impaired reflexes and balance, unseen feet, and precious cargo, on ICE, are you kidding????  I'd rather be too hot, any day!  I didn't plan the timing in the 'it'll be summer', sense - just the 'baby, now!' sense.  But, really, I'm not sorry!

Too, I see so many more pregnant women and little ones out in the warm weather than I did all winter, and through our chilly spring.... it's much more hospitable, and nice not to feel so alone.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

User Tag List