sleeping with pillows - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Curious how others are getting comfortable in bed- I am alone in a queen, taking up the whole thing with a pillow at my back and on my stomach- otherwise I feel like im going to topple over ;)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 10:45 AM

I can't seem to get comfy no matter what I do. I have a pillow for my head, one between my knees, and a little squishy one tucked under my belly. I wake up to pee about every 3-4 hours, so when I get back into bed, I usually have to turn to my other side since the hip I was just sleeping on is so sore at that point. Then by about 5 or 6am, both hips are so sore that I just get out of bed.

I share a queen with DH, but it feels so small, since the place we just moved out of had the most amazing cal king bed ever. He says that I don't wake him up, but I still feel bad sometimes for making so much noise and movement all night.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 AM

I sleep with a pillow or two at the head of the bed (sometimes with a small couch cushion supporting them), a big prenatal body pillow (this one:  http://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Total-Body-Pillow-Neutral/dp/B003UTUEOU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1307987330&sr=1-1 ), and an old, squishy down pillow.  During the night, I flip from lying on my left or right side, with head on the upper pillows, body pillow curled around me, front and back, and feather pillow further cushioning the belly, to propping the body pillow against all the others and lying semi-reclining on my back.  This works pretty well.... but I definitely can't spend the whole night in any one position.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#4 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I can't seem to get comfy no matter what I do. I have a pillow for my head, one between my knees, and a little squishy one tucked under my belly. I wake up to pee about every 3-4 hours, so when I get back into bed, I usually have to turn to my other side since the hip I was just sleeping on is so sore at that point. Then by about 5 or 6am, both hips are so sore that I just get out of bed.

I share a queen with DH, but it feels so small, since the place we just moved out of had the most amazing cal king bed ever. He says that I don't wake him up, but I still feel bad sometimes for making so much noise and movement all night.

I could have written this!!  Except, I have the boppy pg pillow.  It's old, from my last pg, and it's totally beat to hell.  It's lumpy, it's not firm.  Ugh, but I can't justify another pg pillow this late in the game with no plans of more kids!!!

I too wake up to pee every 2-3 hours, so every time I come back to bed, I flip the pillow over and lay on the other side.  It's a huge PITA and not the best.  The other night, I'd just had it by 4 am, I felt like I couldn't breathe and my hips were killing me, so I went out on the couch.  Something about being able to lay up against the back of the couch helped, and I put a throw pillow b/w my knees.  Heaven.  Slept right till DD was in my face saying, "Mama, you waked up yet?" at 7 am.  Haha!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 11:29 AM

I've been surprisingly not-uncomfortable when sleeping. I have 4 pillows in the bed, and 3 of them are lumpy and old or then too soft to support my head very well. So I have the firm one and one lumpy one under my head, the too soft one smooshed between my legs, and I then lay on my side and hug the other lumpy one. Now that It's too hot to use the blanket I just have it beside me and sometimes roll it up and use it as a wedge. DH is in the other room in a twin. Works pretty well. Occasionally I wake up with my back hurting, but that used to happen before I was pregnant too shrug.gif The only thing is that I am really missing laying on my stomach. Sometimes it would be really nice.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#6 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 AM

I have a super-fantastic bed.  So I'm actually fine sleeping on my back with my ancient and beat up body pillow coiled up as a foot rest under my knees.

We were on vacation in Spain for the last 10 days and the beds in the hotels there were SO HARD and uncomfortable.  Most hotels have one extra pillow tucked away somewhere and I used those under my knees, but I was still totally stiff and sore every time I woke up.  I was so happy to get back to my bed last night!!!

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#7 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 12:27 PM

I'm so uncomfortable at night!bawling.gif Sleeping on my side makes my hips hurt so bad, and I am having lots of pain up high in my ribcage too. It's awful. I sleep in a king with my husband AND our 2.5 year old, so that's not helping either. Basically the only was I can sleep is propped up on my back with lots of pillows, one under my knees and a body pillow on one side. I still have to wake up to pee and change positions. eyesroll.gif

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#8 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 12:41 PM

I use the boppy pg pillow, and it's been great! I do find myself waking up on my back, which I know is bad, but often I stay that way for awhile because it's so comfortable. I also keep waking up with numb hands . . . is that related to the back sleep thing, does anyone know? The pillow really helps with hip pain, though, and was worth every single penny.

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#9 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 PM

I have to sleep on the couch. If i'm in the bed I wake up every 30 mins, even if I'm alone.

On the couch I lay facing out with my back propped up against the back of the couch. I have two pillows I adjust around my heads and arms- whatever feels comfy at the time and a small pillow I will sometimes tuck under my belly, but lately I haven't need it. I can get pretty comfy (given the circumstances) and fall asleep pretty fast, but I'm up every 2-3 hrs to pee, whether I need to or not- A lot of times I think its the baby waking me, not my bladder.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#10 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 PM

I'm pretty miserable.  The couch is worse, so I always sleep in the bed.  I adore having Hubby with me, but we only have a full, so I get overheated between him and the body pillow.  He also tries to steal it in his sleep!

I have to have a pillow under my belly, or else it aches, but if the pillow goes even a hair past supporting into pressing, baby gets pissed and pounds on that side until I move it.  I don't know what to do!  Also, I wake up every few hours with my arm completely asleep down to the fingers, and aches all over.  I am either too cold, or too hot...

Blah!

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#11 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 PM

About sleeping on your back. From what I've been told, it's only bad for you if your body is telling you to stop. Our bodies are all made so differently, so it's not necessarily a bad thing for everyone's body. For me, I can't even lay on my back with lots of blankets/pillows during the 5-10 minutes we do it at the end of my pre-natal yoga class. My lower back just screams in pain, and I also just get this feeling inside that tells me not to lay like that.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#12 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yep, I am the pillow queen!  I sleep on my side with a body pillow, then I put a regular sized pillow on top of the body pillow to elevate my knee - otherwise my hips hurt.  Also two pillows (sometimes three) under my head or else I get heartburn.

I have to switch sides several times throughout the night, which is a pain.  My lower hip will start to hurt, and I also start feeling like my ear is getting squished...does this happen to anyone else or am I a freak?

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#13 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 01:49 PM

I have a pillow for my head, a body pillow and another old pillow. I have the body pillow and the old pillow stacked and I usually drape my top leg on top of both and roll forward until my lower hip is turned under a bit so the pressure is not just on my hip bone and this way my belly is supported on the mattress. I turn the top of the body pillow so it will be flat against my chest and it curves around my belly, I can lean forward on the pillow and sort of hug it, it keeps my top shoulder from going too far forward which keeps me from rolling on my belly too far. I hope it keeps working, I have been sleeping decent when it is not too hot.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#14 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 01:52 PM

I'm sleeping with a Leachco Total Body Pillow which I bought during my last pg, and it helps keeping my body alligned and supported. I wake up every few hours nevertheless to pee, etc. Recently, however, DS1 insists on stealing my pillow during the night by snuggling into it and then pushing me away. For the last two nights, I've been wedged in a full size bed between DH, my pillow, and a two-year old, which is not conducive to good sleep. I really need to get DS to accept that a) the pillow is mine and b) that he needs to sleep on the floor next to the bed when DH is in town. Otherwise, come August, I'll sleep in between DH, a toddler, and an infant in a full-size bed, and that sounds like a nightmare.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#15 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

same- except my DD gets up around 5:30/6 - definetly taking advantage of naps when I can!

#16 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

We are saving up for a california king- those of you in comfy beds with DH, is it a king?

#17 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 05:10 PM

ours is a regular king which I think is a tad wider than a cali king. It is nice to not have to touch each other on hot nights! Both of the girls can lay with us, not super comfy, but we fit.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#18 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

About sleeping on your back. From what I've been told, it's only bad for you if your body is telling you to stop. Our bodies are all made so differently, so it's not necessarily a bad thing for everyone's body. For me, I can't even lay on my back with lots of blankets/pillows during the 5-10 minutes we do it at the end of my pre-natal yoga class. My lower back just screams in pain, and I also just get this feeling inside that tells me not to lay like that.

I've heard this as well and I notice if I'm laying on my back I feel like I can barely breathe, same as if I'm laying on my right side for more than an hour or two. I'm basically forced to my left side. I sleep with several pillows as well but starting yesterday I've been getting SOOOO hot at night. Ugh...I live in a cold climate, there is no reason for this. lol

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#19 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 06:30 PM

If I'm well-propped-up, a stint on my back is okay.  Since I have a device embedded in my chest on the left, between the breast and shoulder bones, lying on my left side so much can really hurt, and being able to alternate positions is a godsend.  The doctor said, as long as I wasn't feeling breathless or getting uterine cramping from doing it, it was fine.

My husband and I are a little crowded but okay, in our full/queen.... with all the pillows... and two cats.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#20 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 09:36 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#21 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethrw View Post

I. I also keep waking up with numb hands . . . is that related to the back sleep thing, does anyone know?

Sounds like pg induced carpal tunnel or just regular overuse carpal tunnel.  Inexpensive wrist braces at your local pharmacy will fix it. 

I have a lot of pillows as well.  We sleep in a Cal King Tempurpedic and it's HEAVEN on Earth.  I can still belly sleep for a bit if I choose because the mattress molds to my body.  I have a body pillow which DH hates...says it takes up too much room.  I use 2 pillows at my head and sleep with one behind my back.  I mostly use it to to prop myself up if I roll onto my back.  I haven't had any adverse effects from back sleeping.  My MW told me that baby would start kicking like crazy if the blood supply was being cut off.  I mostly sleep on my left or right side.   It's funny, I wake up like clockwork at 2 am regardless of what time I go to be to go pee.  Then usually again around 4 or so.  I usually sleep pretty well. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#22 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 05:07 AM - Thread Starter

But at least with the california King you can still FIT in the bd with DH and your pillows- I miss my snoring insomniac husband next to me :(

#23 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

Sounds like pg induced carpal tunnel or just regular overuse carpal tunnel.  Inexpensive wrist braces at your local pharmacy will fix it. 

I have a lot of pillows as well.  We sleep in a Cal King Tempurpedic and it's HEAVEN on Earth.  I can still belly sleep for a bit if I choose because the mattress molds to my body.  I have a body pillow which DH hates...says it takes up too much room.  I use 2 pillows at my head and sleep with one behind my back.  I mostly use it to to prop myself up if I roll onto my back.  I haven't had any adverse effects from back sleeping.  My MW told me that baby would start kicking like crazy if the blood supply was being cut off.  I mostly sleep on my left or right side.   It's funny, I wake up like clockwork at 2 am regardless of what time I go to be to go pee.  Then usually again around 4 or so.  I usually sleep pretty well. 

That is what we have too! AMAZING!

I have two regular pillows for my head, and two king size pillows on either side, one to support my back and one for my tummy and knees. My only complaint for sleeping really is that it makes my reflux SO much worse. I have to sit up to get the acid to go back down, and once I'm sitting up, I have to pee!

#24 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 07:56 AM

So jealous of the Tempurpedic beds!  We're saving up for one, because our mattress is just too soft. 

I'm glad to hear it's not so bad to sleep on my back. I don't get short of breath or anything, and the baby seems to be ok with it.  Sleeping on either side is so uncomfortable for my hips, no matter how many pillows I use.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#25 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 10:11 AM

In past pregnancies I have had the numb arm thing when sleeping on my back.  This time I haven't had it.  I don't care what anyone says, though, I just refuse to believe that my body would let me sleep in a position that would kill my baby.  That's just completely unbelievable.  So I say as long as you feel comfortable, the position that you are in is safe.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#26 of 27 Old 06-14-2011, 10:55 AM

I'm fine on my back as long as I'm like, half up on a pillow.  Like I find that during the night, I shift from my side with the pillow b/w my legs to being on my back w/the pillow under one leg/over the other.  It's SOOOOO comfortable.  Love it.  LOVE.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#27 of 27 Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I have 2 king pillows that I put going the long way under me so I can sleep on my stomach still. I know this probably won't last for too much longer, but I have back problems and the stomach is pretty much the only way it work. 2 regular pillows for my head. And I do switch and go to either side throughout the night. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page