Breech at 33 weeks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I still feel the baby moving around and changing her position A LOT, but in general she spends most of her time on my left side with her back facing out and her head up. So she is breech, which is kind of freaking me out. I have been to the spinning babies website, and am doing inversions multiple times a day, but I am kind of discouraged since I have always done multiple inversions during the day (I teach yoga) and she is still malpositioned. I am afraid that she might not want to go head down due to my right saccroilliac joint being slightly out of wack, but I don't have the $$ to go to my Osteopath or a Chiropractor.

Has anybody been in this situation and had their baby flip in time for labor? Am I worrying over something that isn't that big of a deal? I think part of the reason I am worrying so much is that I was breech and my mom ended up needing a CS.

#2 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:21 AM

I totally understand your concerns. Up until last week this LO was transverse and I was trying to encourage a head down position. When the baby went head down they were lying to the right (ROT) according to my attempt at belly mapping. So I sat quietly and had a little chat with the baby. I explained that there older brother had been ROT and ended up malpositioned (about half way between posterior and anterior) and ended up in a c/s. I then asked the baby to move to LOA so they could be born naturally and once there to stay there. (This baby has moved around a lot more than DS did) Over the next 36 or so hours I had lots of wriggling and jiggling until the baby was on the left and head down, by the following day they were fully LOA and have been there since (that was last Friday). All I need to do is keep the baby in that position until birth. It may seem like a silly idea, but I read many birth stories where the parents talked to the baby to get it moving to a better position, so it might be worth a try.

Another encouragement. I was breech and my mother had 3 external versions that were successful only to have me move back to breech later the same day. After the third she refused to let them turn me again as I was obviously more comfortable in that position. Then just before labor started I turned head down by myself and ended up being the quickest (8hrs) and easiest birth my Mum had. A friend who had a baby just two months ago was breech right up until labor and her baby turned head down during early labor. It does happen, but these were not first babies. I don't know what the likelihood is for a first baby, but it is physically possible.

Have you tried he heat/cold packs idea from spinning babies to encourage the baby to move their head towards the heat and away from the cold?

Most of all try not to stress yet. There is still time for the baby to move, and early heads down doesn't always mean much as DS was head down forever and still ended up malpositioned.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#3 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 AM

I wish I could tell how mine was positioned!  I have something very hard in the upper right area.  It's either a head or a butt.  I've been feeling hiccups there, though, so it might be a head.  I remember feeling hiccups way down at the bottom with the others.  This is my third, though, so I'm just going to trust that it will all work out.  I have a MW appointment on Thursday.  We'll see.  Thinking of you, OP; try not to worry.  It's still early days.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#4 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 11:39 AM

Mine turned breech last week (I'm 33 now). Trying not to stress about it as she is very mobile and has been breech before and then turned back (the kicks to the cervix are unmistakable...) and is now, I think, transverse. I also suspect some sort of pelvis thing because my left SI joint has been "sticky" the whole pregnancy. Just trying to relax my pelvic girdle muscles and not spend too much time in bad positions and relax and trust the baby. I have been telling and asking her to turn, and at least her feet are not in my cervix anymore. I agree with Lyn that talking to the baby can really be powerful. One anecdote for that is that my mom was 42 weeks with me and no sign of labor... then my dad put his hands on her belly and told me it was time to come out now, and my mom went into labor that day.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#5 of 14 Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM

I'm right there with you, except I'm only 32 weeks. I'm not concerned yet, she still has plenty of room to move around and is still doing summersalts every day!  If you're doing lots of yoga, that should definitely help. I don't think it's time to worry yet, but just be concious of your positioning and movements, as well as your baby's. Good luck!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#6 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 AM

When my first turned breech (at 39 weeks) moxabustion really got her to wiggle around. If I were facing another breech baby I'd look into that. Seriously. I haven't been a regular accupuncture/aromatherapy user, but that stuff really did make her move and I think if she hadn't been so far into pregnancy she would have turned (as it was, being so late, not even the EV worked).

#7 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 05:37 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#8 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM

DS turned breech at 31 week-ish and stayed that way.  Moxibustion and ECV did not work for us.  And if I could do everything over again, I def would go about it differently.  I went with the scheduled c-section at 38 weeks and regretted it every day since.

Do you have money in your bank account? If you do, then you have the money for a chiropractor.  If the choice is splurging on a cute baby outfit, going for a night out, making the minimum payment on your credit card this month or having a c-section what would you chose?  I would def put chiropractic work in the #1 priority category.

Babies do often turn in labour so I would not schedule a section but work with your caregiver and see what both of you are comfortable with - ie once labour begins and has progressed to X point and the baby is STILL breech then we section.  Or if your water hasnt broken, you can attempt a version during labour.  Or if things are going well and your have an experienced care giver, remember breech does NOT mean a csection.  The study done do indicate that a section is better than vaginal delivery is inaccurate and notoriously poor science (all other studies since have indicated that a section does not mean a better outcome for mother or baby). Good reads are Silent Knife, The Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth, Spiritual Midwifery, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

If your care giver is telling you breech means an automatic section, start looking around for someone else and start reading so you know what questions to ask.

This time round I had chiropractic care every month and at around the 32 week mark this one went head down.

Questions I always ask myself regarding my first pregnancy are - if I hadnt done a version so early (32 weeks) would DS have turned on his own? (did he get tangled up in his cord?) If I had actually waited until he was ready to be born, would he have STILL been breech?  If I had decided on a vaginal breech delivery and just showed up in the hospital in full labour (none of my care givers  - midwife and ob  or any hospital in my city would even entertain the possibility of a breech delivery), would that experience have been any worse than a c section?

Good luck.  I hope your baby turns for you soon....it is so hard at the end of the pregnancy when your emotions are at their highest to deal with this.

#9 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenninjapan View Post

Do you have money in your bank account? If you do, then you have the money for a chiropractor.  If the choice is splurging on a cute baby outfit, going for a night out, making the minimum payment on your credit card this month or having a c-section what would you chose?  I would def put chiropractic work in the #1 priority category.

Great points, Jenn.  One often hears that someone can't afford something (and I don't mean to imply anything about you, OP, this is just a general comment) and I think it's always important to really look at priorities.  If avoiding a c-section is really important to someone, as it certainly would be to me, the money can often by found via creative budgeting or inquiring about a payment plan with the chiropractor/acupuncturist, seeking out a cheaper or perhaps even free chiropractic student, or what have you.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#10 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenninjapan View Post

Great points, Jenn.  One often hears that someone can't afford something (and I don't mean to imply anything about you, OP, this is just a general comment) and I think it's always important to really look at priorities.  If avoiding a c-section is really important to someone, as it certainly would be to me, the money can often by found via creative budgeting or inquiring about a payment plan with the chiropractor/acupuncturist, seeking out a cheaper or perhaps even free chiropractic student, or what have you.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. As for the money thing...unfortunately in our case there is literally no money to spare at this point without going into debt, and that is not something we are willing to do. Our health insurance is crappy and won't cover any chiro work so it would end up costing us hundreds of dollars. I haven't bought any baby clothes at all yet, and we never go out to eat, because every penny we make is accounted for right now since we have to pay monthly taxes out of pocket, and we just bought a house, and we are still paying off bills from DH's shoulder surgery. I promise I am not just saying I don't have the money, we truly don't.

I read about Moxabustion, and have been looking for a place to get some moxa sticks and try it with a few friends.

I am really really lucky that the OB that takes any transfers from our birth center actually specializes in vaginal breech deliveries. It makes me feel better to know that even if she doesn't flip, there is still a pretty good chance I can avoid a cs. I talked to one of the midwives last night and she said that since I am still weeks away from being full term, and the baby is moving around a lot, there is still a really good chance that she will flip. I am feeling much more positive about the whole thing today.

I really appreciate all your replies!

#11 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Does your care provider do or know of someone who can do a version?  If in the rare case you get to 40 weeks with a breech baby (or maybe even 38-39 weeks) you could always try that.  My mw does them.  She says ppl come to her from other practices for her to turn their babies!  LOL!  That was one of the (many) reasons I chose her!!

But honestly I wouldn't worry yet.  It's still early even though it feels like we are running out of time.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

If you ever do want to go (chiropractor with crappy insurance is probably cheaper than a csection with crappy insurance - though you have tons of time to turn!), I know this lady: http://www.wombforgrowth.com/Home_Page.html and completely adore her. She's not in Denver, but vaguely close. And wonderful :) That's worth a lot, though man! Prices are high in your area!!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#13 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Does your care provider do or know of someone who can do a version?  If in the rare case you get to 40 weeks with a breech baby (or maybe even 38-39 weeks) you could always try that.  My mw does them.  She says ppl come to her from other practices for her to turn their babies!  LOL!  That was one of the (many) reasons I chose her!!

The OB who does the vaginal breech births also does versions! He is ancient and has been doing them for decades, so I feel pretty good about giong to him if I need to :)

Quote:
If you ever do want to go (chiropractor with crappy insurance is probably cheaper than a csection with crappy insurance - though you have tons of time to turn!), I know this lady: http://www.wombforgrowth.com/Home_Page.html and completely adore her. She's not in Denver, but vaguely close. And wonderful :) That's worth a lot, though man! Prices are high in your area!!

Thank you for the recommendation! Ft. Collins is about an hour away from Denver, so not too bad. I will definitely keep her in mind. Alternative healthcare is so popular in CO, which is awesome, but I think that it sometimes allows practitioners to charge a huge premium on their services, which is why the prices are so high!

#14 of 14 Old 06-14-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

The OB who does the vaginal breech births also does versions! He is ancient and has been doing them for decades, so I feel pretty good about giong to him if I need to :)

Thank you for the recommendation! Ft. Collins is about an hour away from Denver, so not too bad. I will definitely keep her in mind. Alternative healthcare is so popular in CO, which is awesome, but I think that it sometimes allows practitioners to charge a huge premium on their services, which is why the prices are so high!

Sounds about right! She took the last training with me for the Mayan Abdominal work. So she can do that, regular chiropractic and Webster. It's hard to do pricing for services - with the amount of training she has, I can see her having very high prices. 

A lot of people do trades, though - I trade for chiropractic, massage, acupuncture. I bet you could find a yoga-loving chiropractor somewhere to trade with :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page