GD diet before test - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Did you alter your intake for the GD test or eat normally?  I hate being told what to eat and feeling defiant  with taking the test- silly, i know!

#2 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM

I wasn't given any diet specifications, but I chose to take the test first thing in the morning after fasting.  I ate normally the night before, went to the lab at about 7:30am, finished the test up at around 8:30am, and then had my normal breakfast.  I drank lots of water after drinking the glucola and took a 45 minute walk while waiting to have my blood drawn. 

After all that, my glucose level was still 129 (140 was the threshold for additional testing).  I'm sure glad i didn't eat anything before the screening or I'm sure I would have had to do the 3hr test.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#3 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 10:27 AM

I just ate normally the night before, had a normal-to-heavy protein filled breakfast, and then took my test around 9 or 10. I don't know how you did it Erica, but all that sugar they give you would be horrible for me on an empty stomach! 

Also, that was for the 1 hour test. I think they have specific rules about fasting/etc when you take the 3 hour test, no?

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM

It was really disgusting and I felt awful for a couple of hours afterward.  My boss let me work from home the rest of the day (which is his code for take the rest of the day off with pay), so at least I wasn't feeling gross at work. 

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#5 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 AM

I did the 1 hr screening test with oj instead of glucola.  I'm getting my result today so I'll fill you guys in when I do.  But, I did try to eat some protein -- I had peanut butter whole wheat toast for breakfast, maybe an hour and a half before drinking the juice.  I wasn't given any instruction at all, no special rules or anything.  So, we'll see.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM

I wasn't given any instructions for before the test, but was told no food or water during the hour wait.  But I did eat protein for breakfast (eggs) on purpose and then walked for 15 minutes after drinking the stuff.  I got a 95, so I was pretty happy!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#7 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM

They told me to eat normal...they want to see what my body does with my normal diet.

But, I reduced my sugar that day. I still failed, although I found out later that was most likely due to the progesterone shots I got.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#8 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I did the 1 hr screening test with oj instead of glucola.  I'm getting my result today so I'll fill you guys in when I do.  But, I did try to eat some protein -- I had peanut butter whole wheat toast for breakfast, maybe an hour and a half before drinking the juice.  I wasn't given any instruction at all, no special rules or anything.  So, we'll see.

I passed!  My blood sugar was 76!  Hooray!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 02:03 PM

I actually really liked the glucola! Yum! (Then again, I love sugar in general.) My ob said I could eat a normal breakfast, but I didn't since I went in before 7 am for the test. After drinking, I wasn't allowed anything else by mouth (including water), and I had to wait there in the lab's "comfort room."

I was over 10 pounds at birth, and my brother was close to 9. Our mom was never tested for GD, though. So I was very interested in how my test would come out. I passed with an 82, so I'm happy. :)

mom to Landis, 9-9-11
and Leonidas, 4-14-13
remembering Bean, August 2010
expecting a girl in late October 2014!
#10 of 14 Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I passed!  My blood sugar was 76!  Hooray!!

Yea! biggrinbounce.gif

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#11 of 14 Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM

I ate two mini Ben and Jerry's ice cream for a total of exactly 50 grams of carbohydrates in a five minute time span...ICE CREAM FEED!!!...I passed easily, and it wasn't gross...it was yummmmmmy.

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#12 of 14 Old 06-22-2011, 02:18 PM

I did the test first thing in the morning, but ate a hard boiled egg and some almonds about an hour before. I passed with a 90.

Mama to a 6 year old diva, and new little man July 2011.

#13 of 14 Old 06-23-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging butterfly View Post

I ate two mini Ben and Jerry's ice cream for a total of exactly 50 grams of carbohydrates in a five minute time span...ICE CREAM FEED!!!...I passed easily, and it wasn't gross...it was yummmmmmy.

Ooh, that sounds awesome! I wanna do that next time!! :D

mom to Landis, 9-9-11
and Leonidas, 4-14-13
remembering Bean, August 2010
expecting a girl in late October 2014!
#14 of 14 Old 06-24-2011, 05:08 PM

I failed the 1hr test, than did the 2 hr one - instead of 3, so one less blood draw and 75gr of sugar instead of 100. My midwife wanted me to load on "complex" carbs for three days prior to the longer test, than I had to fast. She talked to the state program (sweet success) before approving the lower sugar test so I know she did her research well. She explained the carb loading as conditioning so the test is not measuring a shock to my system but how well it tolerates the sugar. I was not much more carbs than the daily intake,  I just had to be consistent for three days and made sure they were not the easily digest-able kind. I passed the second test w flying colors - the way she put it..

though, next time i subject my self to a torture like this, I will really really ask for the ice cream option!! I am pretty sure downing the ice cream would make me a better sport to go along w this weird test!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page