doula costs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just interviewd an amazing doula- her fee is $850 and I dont know if we can swing that right now.  How much have you heard is typical for a doula?

#2 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 09:50 AM

I am sure it varies by where you are located, but around here (Boston), that would be considered on the low end.  Or perhaps, not even possible unless she was still in training.  Those that have only attended a few births or are still training often reduce their normal rates substatially or work pro-bono.  Good luck!

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#3 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

my m/w is possibly going to act as a doula for us because we have to have a hossy birth. She normally charges $500 for one pre and one post partum visit, plus on call time. (which is longer for me because I may go early) But for us she is knocking off $100 bucks for each birth she has attended, so our total is only $300!!!! We're still not sure we can swing it, but I'm checking with insurance to see if they'll cover any.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#4 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Locally, I can't find anyone! But at my last birth, the regular rates of the doula we hired were around 500$. She was a friend & did offer me a better rate though :)

~SynEpona~
#5 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Do you live in NH? I thought I saw you post something recently about NH. I'm only asking because I live in NH. It could go by where you live and the cost of living. I was under the impression that doulas in NH were $300-500, but I'm not positive about that. The only doula I've interviewed charges a fee of $400 and I feel amazingly comfortable with her. We actually put out a call for a doula who may be willing to work for a reduced fee and this is the doula who responded. She basically told us that her normal fee is $400, to shoot her a number that we can afford to pay and we can work something out. Of course, we want to pay her as much of her fee as we can because we want her to be fairly compensated for the very important work that she does. I would normally never ask a doula to work for a reduced fee, but I really feel that I NEED a doula this time and I doubt I'll be able to pay 100% of the fee.

But if my doula's normal fee is $400, $850 sounds high to me IF you live in my area. But then it could depend on experience and exactly what the doula offers. My sister had a doula who gave her massages and even taught infant massage to her. Some doulas give more visits than others. My older sister's doula did a belly cast for her. I don't think my doula does those things, but she's willing to meet with me as often as I need, to advocate for me in the hospital and generally has a very calming, reassuring presence. It could be that her fee is lower because she's only been a doula for 2 years, but she's been doing the work of a doula for 30 years.

Also, have you gone to the DONA website? Good luck.

#6 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM

It varies so much from region to region---some very experienced doulas in our area charge upwards of $1200.  However, there are almost always new doulas around who will attend a birth for free or a very reduced cost to get their certification births done, and many doulas also have sliding scale fees based on income, or will be happy to barter and trade for their services.  It never hurts to ask!   winky.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#7 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I am in southern NH.  The woman I interviewed is 61 and has done over 500 births.  Would you be willing to share where you found your doula?  I like a recommendation and have trouble trusting a name that comes up from googling 'nh doula"!

#8 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 10:25 AM

FWIW, I am not in NH, but your description sounds just like my doula, for whom we paid $900. We also live in the north east, I'm assuming somewhat similar cost of living. I think $850 seems in line. Of course, you can certainly find doulas with much less experience for much less money. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

I am in southern NH.  The woman I interviewed is 61 and has done over 500 births.  Would you be willing to share where you found your doula?  I like a recommendation and have trouble trusting a name that comes up from googling 'nh doula"!

Metis, partner to a peaceful soul, mothering DD born July '11

#9 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
   I like a recommendation and have trouble trusting a name that comes up from googling 'nh doula"!

Just so you know---you can choose tags for yourself when you build a website, like "Springfield area doula" or "homebirth friendly doula Montgomery."   I think that 'nh doula' is a perfectly reasonable tag for a doula from New Hampshire, and it doesn't mean (necessarily) that she's a sketchy character.  thumb.gif

ETA:  As a doula myself, I would also encourage you to trust your gut.  If you ever get a weird vibe from someone on the phone, certainly don't meet them in person!  And I'm a big advocate of meeting in neutral places during the day (coffee shops, restaurants). . . . just safer when you're meeting people online.  smile.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#10 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM

We're paying $300 for ours in FL. 

#11 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 10:51 AM

Here In Austin, TX it is around $400 for just labor and birth, an apprentice is a cheaper with rates starting around $210.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#12 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 10:58 AM

depends on so much...where you live, how much experience they have, exactly what services they provide.  i'm in the greater los angeles area and have seen them charge as little as $250 and as much as $1500.  quite a range!

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#13 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Mine is $750

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#14 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Wow...after seeing everyone's posts I am reminded how expensive the cost of living is in Boston.  Sheesh!  (Although we just bought a house, so I guess I really don't need reminding).  :)

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#15 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 12:12 PM

I am in NYC and paying $600 for my doula, which is considered a low amount to pay. My Doula falls under the "novice" category. She's Dona-trained, but has only attended 3 births. Prices here generally range between $1500-$2000...

#16 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 12:13 PM

$400 here and in Maryland.  She is a student.

#17 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 PM

I'm paying by trade - 12 massages for all the services. So that's $780, really. Ish.

Her normal rate is a sliding scale 850-1200. :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#18 of 18 Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My sister found her on the DONA website. I also hear that ALACE is good. They have a website, too. You can always ask a prospective doula for references.

I'm also in Southern NH. smile.gif

Quote:

SUBMIT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page