What shampoo/wash do you use for baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I use non-chemicaly things for myself and will do the same for baby.  What do you like? 

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 03:30 PM

Warm Water :) I don't use any soaps really on little babies. I do make a diaper spray for their tushie that is basically a tablespoon of the most natural baby wash I can find locally (haven't bought any yet, and dont' remember which brand I bought for DS!), a tbsp of olive oil, 2c of distilled water & a drop or two of TTO/Chamomile/Lavender EO, whichever is handy & I feel like using the day I mix it.I fill all my little spray bottles with it, and keep one with every diaper bag & at the change table. I've used it on DS's sticky hands too as he got older!

Other than that we didn't really use a lot of soaps/shampoos till DS was a bit older, and then I used that bottle of the natural stuff I had first, then moved on to the less natural stuff that we had gotten at baby showers ... we use very little, and STILL have some left ... over 4 years later! I think every 2nd baby gift we got had a bottle of some sort of baby soap in it.

I do have a bar of mild goats milk soap set aside for baby girl that a friend made, but we tend to use liquid soaps, so I'll probably stop by the health food store this week & see what baby products they have :)

~SynEpona~
#3 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:26 PM

I'm asking for some California Baby stuff, because I adore them, but if I don't get any, I plan on simple castile soap.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#4 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM

I like to check http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ before using anything.  I tend to buy stuff for myself because it's cheap (think Suave), but I try to stick to safer alternatives for the kids.  I use California Baby, because it is the only product I can find locally that has a good rating on EWG.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#5 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:40 PM

We used Earth Mama Angel Baby products and liked them a lot.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM

California baby gave DD such a rash!!  I couldn't believe it. So, being frustrated, I switched to Johnson's bedtime bath and never had any problems.  Granted, I didn't use it for her first bath or anything!  I think we started using soaps around 2 months old or so.  Until then just warm water and a cloth.  Maybe a dab of something soapy in the water but it's not like you need to soap them up when they are teeny tiny.

For lotions, I like the Aveeno lavender lotion.    Very soothing, non greasy, sweet light scent.  Perfect.  Still use it on DD to this day.

I got the EMAB Bottom Balm for this baby's tush.  Can't wait to try it b/c I love their postpartum products!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

For lotions, I like the Aveeno lavender lotion.    Very soothing, non greasy, sweet light scent.  Perfect.  Still use it on DD to this day.

We got a gift basket of Aveeno Baby stuff, and I can't wait to use it, it all smells awesome. I think we got like 3 different washes and 4 different lotions, so it should last a while. We also got a ton of assorted Johnson's washes and shampoos and lotions, so I think we are going to be good on bath products. Target has a French brand called Mustela that I wanted to try, but we have so much already, I will probably just use all the gifts first.

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
#8 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM

I use Arbonne ABC Hair and Body wash on DS and have never had any problems.  I  used their entire line of products on him when he was an infant, including the diaper rash cream, body lotion, and sunscreen (once he was over 6mo).  Now I use Cetaphil body lotion on him because it has been more effective on his eczema and dry skin.  I will go back to using the entire Arbonne line on the new baby when he comes.

https://www.arbonne.com/shop_online/showCatalog.asp?category=18

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#9 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

We used Earth Mama Angel Baby products and liked them a lot.

That's what I've got for the little ones, partly on my sister's recommendation.  I've really liked their lip balm, stretch oil, and foot soak for pregnant mamas, which seemed like a good boost to her opinion on the baby products. 

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#10 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 05:34 PM

I've always used burt's bees, but i'm not overly thrilled with their ratings lately. So I'll prob. be switching.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#11 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

I've always used burt's bees, but i'm not overly thrilled with their ratings lately. So I'll prob. be switching.

Their fragrance-free one rates a "1" on Cosmetics Database!  I've also read that their newer formulations are phthalate and paraben free.

We only used soaps rarely when DS was an infant.  We'd use California Baby, Earth Mama Angel Baby, and (very) diluted castille soap.  The EMAB lotion is divine, but we'd usually just do a post-bath massage with fragrance-free oil rather than lotions.  We found that any of the three soaps lasted forever, since all were very concentrated.  They're more expensive upfront, but when you only need a few drops a week for an infant, the long-term cost is low!  DS is regularly pretty dirty these days, since that's what 3-year-old boys are good at.  I usually just put a few drops of Dr. Bronner's on a loofah when he needs a good scrubbing.  (He calls it "special soap" because he loves the almond scent!)  A drop of California Baby shampoo is all we need for his hair when it's dirty.  Dr. Bronner's is great as shampoo too, but he's not good at keeping his head back during rinses, which means whatever is on his head gets in his eyes... and Dr. Bronner's is not tear-free, of course.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#12 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 07:25 PM

I'm also a first timer...on my list I have two choices that I will get- California Baby and Burt's bee! Let's see which one works! I might try the Earth Mama Angel products now too after seeing the above comments.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#13 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I love Aveeno lotions. I got a bunch of Johnson baby stuff at my shower, but I have really sensitive skin so I'm kinda worried about using it on her. Has anyone ever tried Grandma El's? Is their diaper cream really safe to use with cloth diapers?

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#14 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 PM

We mostly use Burt's Bees, and if we would run out sometimes we would get Aveeno. Where can I find the Cosmetics Rating that was mentioned?
#15 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 09:03 PM

I get my shampoos and soaps from here:  http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/  and I use the same for DD.  When she was a baby I used apricot kernal oil on her when she had dry skin--it is very dry where I live.  When she was a newborn I used a very limited amount of soap--i would dab the wash rag onto the soap and then wipe her with the washrag (a very small amount of soap).  This was mostly to get skin folds clean--she was chunky hearts.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#16 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

None here. Just water until they are old enough to really get dirty. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#18 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbee View Post

Where can I find the Cosmetics Rating that was mentioned?

Right here!  Thanks Jessica, btw.  I always forget about that site, but I was needing to look up some sunscreens, so this was super helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

I like to check http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ before using anything.  I tend to buy stuff for myself because it's cheap (think Suave), but I try to stick to safer alternatives for the kids.  I use California Baby, because it is the only product I can find locally that has a good rating on EWG.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#19 of 29 Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 PM

I plan on using coconut oil and olive oil- for her body when she needs it. I'm not sure about hair yet- I'm sure I probably won't have to worry about that for at least a year- I did register for some California baby and Earth Mama Angel baby products, so hopefully I'll get some of those to use when I need something other than coconut and olive oil.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#20 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 AM

I don't even use soap on myself (apart from a few certain areas, or if I'm really dirty) so I won't be using it on my baby either. I'm thinking warm water for washing and coconut oil for lotion. Once she gets big enough to have dirty hair I'll probably just use the same all-natural shampoo I use for myself. If I need extra cleaning power I will probably go the very diluted soap route with a gentle all-natural soap.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#21 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyAnn View Post

I love Aveeno lotions. I got a bunch of Johnson baby stuff at my shower, but I have really sensitive skin so I'm kinda worried about using it on her. Has anyone ever tried Grandma El's? Is their diaper cream really safe to use with cloth diapers?

It's not recommended to use diaper creams with microsuede or microfleece diapers (like Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius) unless you use a liner (like Bummis flushable liners).  If you're using cotton diapers, the Earth Mama Angel Baby cream is safe to use.  Just buy the small size... it lasts forever!  I've used it with BG and FB in super small amounts without a liner, but the oils can and do build up on the synthetic materials.

IMO, Johnson stuff is pretty nasty stuff... it wouldn't be my choice to use it on any baby, but especially not if you think she also might have sensitive skin.  Synthetic fragrances are something we definitely avoid in our house, especially in the products we slather on our kid, who's little system is especially vulnerable to the endocrine-disrupting effects that such chemicals can have.  We also avoid products that are contaminated with 1, 4 dioxane and formaldehyde, which are cancer-causing chemicals.  J&J has both.  Last year there was a lawsuit against J&J over its baby shampoo being contaminated with methylene chloride, which is a carcinogen.  I know many feel comfortable with their products (and other popular brands that contain the same chemicals), but I think it's pretty important to do some research on it before you make your own choice.

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#22 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 08:44 AM

I use a tiny touch of California Baby or Weleda baby wash for any cheesy cracks that I think could use a little fragrance to wipe out the smell.  For the most part, though, I don't use anything.  Both my babies got their first bath when they were about two weeks old.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#23 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 AM

Yes, this!   So many 'baby' products are full of toxic chemicals, and babies really don't get that dirty.  A rinse of the bottom in the sink after a big poop, sure, but a daily bath is definitely not needed and can really dry their tender skin.  If I told you how few real baths my second baby actually got I am sure I would horrify some of you. . . and to this day, my kids don't really use soap in the bath unless they're REALLY dirty.  A little castile is all they need once in a while.  And I promise, they smell as sweet and clean as the next kid.  lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

Warm Water :) I don't use any soaps really on little babies.  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#24 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM

I think essential oils can just be irritating or something.  Like I said, we did try the CB stuff, and I tried a few others that were natural, but DD rashed out every time.  Like heat rash, tiny spots all over.  So, Johnsons/Aveeno it is for us.  

Even once when she was closer to 2 and was sick, I bought a packed of a bath salt/soap with eucalyptus and lavender so she could soak and hopefully feel a bit better, and she totally got a rash.  Made me irritated b/c I really was trying to be natural about it, lol!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#25 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM

FYI, here is a link to get 20% off EMAB stuff until Sunday.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#26 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

FYI, here is a link to get 20% off EMAB stuff until Sunday.

BALLS! I just placed my order like two days ago and though I looked for a coupon code, didn't find one!!  LOL!  At least I had a gift card. irked.gif

#27 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 11:37 AM

mama2soren. Okay that's what I thought. I'll be using prefolds/covers at first , then using os dipes with micro fleece so I'll have to pick up some liners. I'm gonna have to look at the EMAB stuff. I was planning on getting the bottom balm anyways cause everyone seems to recommend it.

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#28 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 11:55 AM

I used California Baby, sensitive (they have 2 brands) but only a little bit and only once a week.  All other days between diaper changes it was just warm water on a cotton wipe- then blow dry orngbiggrin.gif bottom dry.   Didn't get any rashes that way. 

fambedsingle2.gifAP Mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 7/11
#29 of 29 Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM

I plan on using Dr. Bronner's Baby wash.

Tags
Earth Mama Body Butter 8oz , Earth Mama Body Butter 4oz , Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby Labor Ease Massage Oil 30 Ml Oil , Earth Mama Angel Baby Postpartum Recovery Bath Herbs , Earth Mama Angel Baby Earth Mama Bottom Balm 2 Fl Oz 60 Ml , Earth Mama Angel Baby C Mama Healing Salve , Earth Mama Angel Baby Organics , Earth Mama Angel Baby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page